Oh for sure! 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/20 12:44 p.m.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/18/20 1:05 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

This was always one of my favorites because you can't see the hinges on the door and no separate frame, so this is actually a push door, despite the sign.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/18/20 1:48 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

I know what you mean about Larson's inaccuracy towards everyday objects. I mean, look at this airliner. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/18/20 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Perfect.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/18/20 2:24 p.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:
bigdaddylee82 said:

This was always one of my favorites because you can't see the hinges on the door and no separate frame, so this is actually a push door, despite the sign.

And the closer is on the outside.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/20 4:48 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

Literally the desktop image on my computer for the last five years. before that it was this:

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/20 4:52 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

And the door return would not let the door open if it were an outward opening door.

And doors generally open inwards for security reasons too numerous for this post.

And a door opening outwards would also be a massive safety hazard with the design of the landing.

OHSCrifle
9/18/20 5:12 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
bigdaddylee82 said:

And the door return would not let the door open if it were an outward opening door.

And doors generally open inwards for security reasons too numerous for this post.

And a door opening outwards would also be a massive safety hazard with the design of the landing.

They don't generally open inward. Exit doors in almost every structure (except a house) swing out because that is the direction of egress and that swing direction prevents people from being trapped inside in a fire. 

It is also a lot harder to kick in a door that swings OUT because the door stops at the head and jamb are literally there to provide support from inside. 

Closers can be located inside or outside too - so that is not clear evidence of a swing direction like hinges. 

I still love that cartoon. 

You guys worry two much about deetails. I don't feel this wondefrul comic could be impruved by greater akuracy.

Removed out of respect for Mr Larson

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/18/20 6:24 p.m.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/18/20 6:26 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/18/20 8:11 p.m.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/18/20 8:23 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
bigdaddylee82 said:

They don't generally open inward. Exit doors in almost every structure (except a house) swing out because that is the direction of egress and that swing direction prevents people from being trapped inside in a fire. 

It is also a lot harder to kick in a door that swings OUT because the door stops at the head and jamb are literally there to provide support from inside. 

Closers can be located inside or outside too - so that is not clear evidence of a swing direction like hinges. 

OSCrifle wins. (He's right)

OHSCrifle
9/18/20 8:26 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:
OHSCrifle said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
bigdaddylee82 said:

OSCrifle wins. (He's right)

Not a win... Just some information (like I reliably count on getting daily from others on this board).

This just happens to combine my favorite cartoon and my profession.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
9/18/20 10:50 p.m.

What about this one for accuracy?

The Far Side | The Gonzo Chimera

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/19/20 9:10 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

This is an actual photograph of me, I'm convinced. For being someone who is well educated (I is a engineer), I can't believe how dumb I can be sometimes. 

Scotty Con Queso
9/19/20 9:11 a.m.

Scotty Con Queso
9/19/20 9:11 a.m.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/19/20 10:32 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:
bigdaddylee82 said:

This is an actual photograph of me, I'm convinced. For being someone who is well educated (I is a engineer), I can't believe how dumb I can be sometimes. 

You are an engineer.  You are far more concerned with the titanium content of the screws used to hold the panel on the side of a satellite than simple boring things, like how to.open a door.

At least that's what I see from my engineer friends.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/20 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I'm an engineer but my 12 y/o "B" student daughter could easily hand me my a$$ on a spelling test.

I could give myself an out by claiming I don't care but the truth is that I do, I've tried and tried to improve my spelling skill but I just can't do it.

I don't see logic or consistency or rules...I see 77,000 (number of words in the English language) largely random sequences of letters that need to be committed to memory.   

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/20 12:00 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Maybe the problem is that you are trying to view things as being logical and consistent.

There are many inconsistencies in science.  Is Science inconsistent?

No matter how you do the math, we are still fallible humans living on a piece of dirt hurling through the universe at incredible speeds in an atmosphere that is in a constant state of flux and change.

There are lots of spelling rules.  And many, many exceptions.  But the same could be said of science.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/19/20 12:07 p.m.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
9/19/20 12:14 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
bigdaddylee82 said:

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/19/20 12:17 p.m.
jgrewe said:

What about this one for accuracy?

The Far Side | The Gonzo Chimera

Well, there are polar bears in the Arctic.  And there are not penguins in the Arctic.  This just may be the explanation for these seemingly unrelated facts.

1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 ... 1583

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ag1WMUBdSFTjDqiYpeg3Rhcb9dbeu1ehFpu5ZrD1gr2wPDMS8X7vyc6HBmyhvvMn