1 2 3 4
Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
4/3/13 3:48 p.m.

Titanium with Mokume inlay. The one pictured is yellow gold and sterling silver that's been tarnished. Mine is white gold and yellow gold. I do NOT advise my color combination. It's very hard to see the pattern.

My wife's is white gold and sterling silver, like the one above, and they compliment each other very well. The swirls are VERY noticeable. Go here and check them out...

http://boonerings.com/mokume.htm

Good chit yo.

RossD
RossD UberDork
4/3/13 4:02 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
fritzsch wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YAhykMMxc
Ron Swanson said: “Any moron with a crucible, an acetylene torch, and a cast iron waffle maker could have done the same. The whole thing only took me about 20 minutes. People who buy things are suckers.”
I love it! That there is some funny stuff. I don't care who ya are!

The funny thing is he probably really did that. Not in 20 minutes, however.

http://offermanwoodshop.com/

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
4/3/13 4:09 p.m.

Then again, there's always this...

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica New Reader
4/3/13 8:07 p.m.

I figure if I ever get around to seriously asking the ol' GF for her hand, at least one of us will have something like this:

Ring made out of a meteorite

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
4/3/13 8:21 p.m.

The only warning I can give you when buying a ring is to buy high quality gold. I didn't and my ring shrunk! When I was first married my ring came off easy. Twenty five years down the road and now my ring won't come off no matter how hard I pull..........

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/3/13 8:38 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Ok, so my first marriage back in 1993 we did the traditional matching gold bands, had vines going around them and black ink inside the design, kinda cool (and not very much $$ if I remember.) Flash forward to 2013 and second attempt (there's always a practice swing right?). Gold is berkeleying insane expensive, and apparently not as common, probably for the berkeleying cost. Titanium, Tungsten, all kinds of cool options. My first thought? Except the fiancee is concerned about getting those rings caught in her hair. (I see a naughty joke there somewhere but we'll move along.) Next idea: Again, she shot me down. She's a pretty big Star Wars geek herself, but not this much. Finally thinking this: Carbon fiber makes everything better, and faster. So, what say you? Anything good or bad? I see carbon fiber at $35 and $300, is there a $265 difference to be had?

I am wearing the prototype that brought option#3 to the US as we speak. It's nigh indestructible. I've tried.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
4/3/13 8:43 p.m.

When we were married 10 years ago, my wife surprised me with one like this in platinum. It is very cool but very heavy. It is a good testament to my sailboat racing background but it is really difficult to keep clean so I tend to have it off, often.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/3/13 9:22 p.m.

I never really wore rings before, and my wedding band is white gold. I hardly notice the weight.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
4/3/13 9:29 p.m.

Mine is a cheap titanium band, maybe $150?

motomoron
motomoron Dork
4/3/13 10:35 p.m.

I got a Ti ring made by One-Off Titanium in 2000.

A couple years later I got home from the kart track and realized when I'd been walking around the (grass) pit area working the GoJo through my filthy hands I'd lost it.

I made a trip by and walked around for an hour of daylight, but it was gone.

I called One-Off and he hooked me up w/ a new one w/ a hard-luck discount.

Now I have a big, kick-ass lathe and scrap Ti bar stock cheap from eBay and I can make all I want.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/3/13 10:35 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
mndsm wrote: I am wearing the prototype that brought option#3 to the US as we speak. It's nigh indestructible. I've tried.
Doesn't the ease the carbon fiber scratches drive you nuts? That's what got me out of the CF idea: my aerospace grade (I know a guy) carbon fiber keyring tag thing quickly became scratched all to hell and ugly... what's the point of tungsten if a good chunk of the ring is only as durable as the epoxy?

Yeah... that makes me a little mad, but you know- I was so bent on CF I was ok with it. Little time with a high speed wheel and it's good as new. I can re-epoxy it. I didn't go with Ti because at the time, most of the hospitals lacked the tools to cut a Ti ring off, and I crush myself a lot. I don't want to potentially lose a finger. That's since changed, but it's too late now.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
4/3/13 10:36 p.m.
Sultan wrote: The only warning I can give you when buying a ring is to buy high quality gold. I didn't and my ring shrunk! When I was first married my ring came off easy. Twenty five years down the road and now my ring won't come off no matter how hard I pull..........

Me 2. That's why she bought me my 2nd ring....

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
4/3/13 10:39 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:
Sultan wrote: The only warning I can give you when buying a ring is to buy high quality gold. I didn't and my ring shrunk! When I was first married my ring came off easy. Twenty five years down the road and now my ring won't come off no matter how hard I pull..........
Me 2. That's why she bought me my 2nd ring....

Shoulda bought you a StairMaster, instead!

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/3/13 10:54 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Finally thinking this: Carbon fiber makes everything better, and faster. So, what say you? Anything good or bad? I see carbon fiber at $35 and $300, is there a $265 difference to be had?

Thats my ring. My wife found it for $90 shipped in with an inscription done inside it. I will say that you will want to take it off when you do stuff as the cf can mar some. I have knicks in mine, but it still looks good.

Teqnyck
Teqnyck Reader
4/3/13 10:56 p.m.

I have a titanium ring and a Kinekt Gear Ring, the gear ring has my preference most of the time. It's a real conversation starter. I have to say though, I think my next ring is going to be something from Cruzin World like this:

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
4/3/13 11:25 p.m.

If you want a truly 'no-maintenance' ring that is all but guaranteed to still look like new long after you stop doing so, almost without regard to how poorly you treat it, then solid tungsten carbide is the only way to go.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
4/4/13 1:29 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I never really wore rings before, and my wedding band is white gold. I hardly notice the weight.

Same for me. Never wore a ring until I got married. Got a 3mm white gold band. Lost the first one body surfing in HI on my honeymoon. Bought the second which we consecrated with a little ceremony at Vernal Falls in Yosemite.

It's got a few nicks and scratches now, which is a metaphor for marriage. It takes a beating sometimes but it's still hanging in.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/4/13 6:13 a.m.

I have this tattooed on my finger. Wedding bands and machinery don't mix.

JohnRW1621 wrote:
moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
4/4/13 6:56 a.m.
Jerry wrote:

I have this exact ring. Paid 55 bucks for it. As mentioned earlier, the carbon fiber part scratches, but not bad enough to notice. I've worn it daily for two years, including at work and also while wrenching.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
4/4/13 7:11 a.m.

Whatever you get, never hand it to your 2 yo daughter to play with. That was 10 years ago, never been seen again !

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
4/4/13 7:17 a.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote: I figure if I ever get around to seriously asking the ol' GF for her hand, at least one of us will have something like this: Ring made out of a meteorite

Several others here have mentioned Boone Rings (....as I have in prior threads.) They have an entire line of line of meteorite rings. That would give you all the uniqueness, without any of the cost of equipment needed to forge steel from space rocks.

(Yes, I understand that if your motivation is the DIY aspect of the process, that won't scratch your itch.)

FWIW, I sort of like the their titanium with hot rod flames the pattern is black ceramic that is fused to the titanium by heating it with a laser. You can make your own pattern and send it to them.
http://boonerings.com/laser.htm

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/4/13 8:23 a.m.

Pretty sure I'm going carbon fiber and tungsten, but I forgot about seeing these recently:

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
4/4/13 8:28 a.m.

Ti cuts off just fine. They just need to make 2 cuts.

When I was looking 2 years ago I went over all the same. I ended up with a Ti band from Walmart for about $50, wife picked a tungsten w/ mother of pearl for the same price. On valentines day no less.

My first pick was a tire ring, but she said no.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/4/13 8:31 a.m.

Mine is Triton Stainless Steel, about $150. The surface looks pitted, scratched and worn after 6 years of serious abuse. (It kinda looks like I hit it with an angle grinder, which I am sure has happened more than once.) But I kinda like that patina, it shows that I have been married a while and that I am a hard working guy. I think Titanium might resist wear better, but I just need to keep the hordes of women off me so this works fine.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/4/13 9:11 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: My first pick was a tire ring, but she said no.

She's given me full reign to get whatever I want (minus the gear ring and potential for hair-pulling). If I could find a cool tire ring with rally tires, I might. Otherwise I'm 99% in for carbon fiber.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4H0udcc0FfHJ3iDzXjkU8ngPjyrQ4racQ5UeRrXzuOmXupnxf92hhvRSzQIzrcT2