1 2 3 4
Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
4/4/13 9:24 a.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote: I figure if I ever get around to seriously asking the ol' GF for her hand, at least one of us will have something like this: Ring made out of a meteorite

Like this...

http://boonerings.com/extreme.htm

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/13 10:35 a.m.

My wedding band when I was married was a titanium band with a platinum inlaid band in the middle to match my ex's platinum wedding/engagement rings. The Ti was a complete no-brainer for an aerospace engineer.

If I get married again, I'm thinking about trying to find one that's Ti and brushed stainless steel- the Ti for my job, the stainless for my hobby.

The gear-ring has always fascinated me, but it just looks WAY too bulky and likely to get snagged on something...

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
5/29/17 5:36 a.m.

Ah, that's a blast from the past. Turk's Head rings--my practice wife and I had those. They were uncomfortable and irritating to me--E36 M3 would get stuck in the braids (like soap) and lead to rashes. Went to a simple "comfort" fit band for wife v2.0 and was pretty happy until we discovered silicone Qalo rings. (qalo.com) Have several now--may try one from similar company, ensorings.com Much better for an active/mechanic/work with your hands lifestyle. Get a few--they do wear a bit over the course of a year, but at $20....

JohnRW1621 wrote:
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/29/17 5:48 a.m.

Zombie thread - canoe deleted

Brian
Brian MegaDork
5/29/17 7:54 a.m.

Still happy with my Ti.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
5/29/17 8:29 a.m.

Ha! Didn't look at the dates at first so I didn't realize how old the posts were.

When I got married the first time (97) I got a far-too-expensive, white and yellow gold, comfort fit ring.

It did nothing to stop women from hitting on me during my 13 year marriage however and now 7 years after the divorce TM and I live happily in sin, my lack of a ring seems to have a chilling effect on any women from potentially hitting on me. Maybe I've just gotten old and ugly.....

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/29/17 8:32 a.m.

A plain gold band in 1974 that cost $30-40. Gold was $35 an ounce.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/29/17 10:37 a.m.

I wore mine for the honeymoon, been in the drawer ever since because I ran machines for a living.

These are easier to clean that the geared monster on page 1.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
5/29/17 11:02 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
Jerry wrote:
I have this exact ring. Paid 55 bucks for it. As mentioned earlier, the carbon fiber part scratches, but not bad enough to notice. I've worn it daily for two years, including at work and also while wrenching.

6 years in and the carbon fiber is hazy and scratched to hell. I'm assuming a higher cost and better made version would hold up better. The tungsten is like new though lol.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/29/17 11:53 a.m.

$60 silver celtic knot ring from irish import store. Wear for wedding, put in drawer next to bed, never wear again. Don't need a ring to remind me why I married her

I have a friend who has had 3 surgically removed from crushing on job, that would totally happen to me

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
5/29/17 11:58 a.m.

I think mine was snagged on Amazon. Went to jewelry store to see actual ring and then bought online for tons cheaper

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/17 12:05 p.m.

I have one that disappeared into the bowels of our first house, another that went swimming without me in a creek on Edisto Island, another that got so thin it was actually sharp on the edges. I'm wearing #4. Plain, gold, and circular and cheap. It's not the ring that makes you married, it's the decision and the attitude.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/29/17 12:18 p.m.

Like several others have said, mine came off years ago when it took me several minutes to get it off to enter a mill. I couldn't get it back on, so into the drawer it went.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/29/17 12:19 p.m.
nderwater wrote: My first wedding band was domed white gold and after seven years of wear had become scuffed and nicked to death. I replaced it with a $20 domed tungsten carbide band I found on eBay - and four years later it still looks like new. I'm not sure how long the CF in the one you pictured will hold up without scratching, but going tungsten is a no-brainer in my book.

I took the EXACT same route. The tungsten carbide ring is da bomb. I thought I lost it couple of times (have to remove my ring every day for work) but I had no stress, I can always order another from Amazon for $25 in my case.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/29/17 9:01 p.m.

First marriage I had a simple narrow gold band that was cheap. Couldn't afford much. then became a helicopter crewchief. After catching the ring on things twice in a short span I took it off and gave it to the wife at the time. Second time I was still a helicopter crewmember and refused to buy one as I wouldn't wear it. Second (& present) wife still wanted me to have one to wear on rare occasions. Was home visiting family once and a friend of dads was over. I asked him to hold his hand out, my wife saw that he was missing the ring finger and stopped bothering me about getting a ring. I don't wear any jewelry, not even a watch. Used to carry a pocket watch but seemed redundant when my cell phone tells better time.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/17 9:12 a.m.

Hahahaha! Wow, this is a blast from the past... my post up-page was made before getting married again (I had met my now-wife at that point but we weren't engaged then).

We looked at a lot of different kinds of rings when we were looking for mine. Briefly considered a Tungsten ring as they were all the rage at that point, but in the end decided on a one-of-a-kind ring we get from someone on Etsy and had them customize even further.

It's a very fine-banded Damascus steel ring with scallops cut out on both sides- it was based on a ring we had seen with cuts that made it look like interlocking infinity symbols, but they couldn't do quite that on what they had equipment wise, but the end result is completely unique and we love it. I unfortunately don't have any pictures handy of mine (just of the custom ring & band I designed for hers). It's held up pretty well the last 3 years though has gotten plenty of scuffs and scratches (as have my hands :P ).

It however does get removed and put on a special ring-clip on my keyring whenever I'm out working in the garage- I used to get some grief from SWMBO about this until Jimmy Fallon's injury from catching his on a counter in a fall and his explaining about it in detail. Since then she's been quite understanding about why I take it off when I'm working on the cars or around the house where I could catch it on something.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/30/17 9:20 a.m.

Been married to my one and only wife for nearly 18 years now. My ring is part yellow gold, part white gold. Yellow "bands" on the outside with white gold herring bone pattern on the inside. I almost never take it off, feels weird without it. However, it has become sort of oblong shaped from wearing it while weight lifting. Need to have it heated and reshaped. Probably should take it off while lifting, but it's covered by my glove, so I guess I just don't bother...too afraid of losing it.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
5/30/17 9:59 a.m.

All I know is I bought this woman diamond ring. The diamond was nice and clear, just more than a carot. It didn't fit her well and kept falling off.

She has a three and a half carot ring now. He seems like a nice guy.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/30/17 10:11 a.m.

Mrs. 914 doesn't have a diamond. She said "Meh, it'll be scooping baby E36 M3 and in the way when baking, take me to dinner and we'll call it even".

38 years ago.

It's a symbol.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/17 10:20 a.m.

Old ass thread.

Been married almost 9 years. Haven't worn a ring in 6 or 7 years.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/17 10:48 a.m.

While not a wedding ring, an ex bought me a titanium ring a few years ago.

on the rare occasions I actually wear it, it looks good and is light weight.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/30/17 10:53 a.m.

I have a basic titanium ring which I heated with a torch until it got a blue/purple/gold tint to the surface. When I'm working on stuff I take it off and put it on my keyring, which scratches the finish a bit but the worst that can happen is I have to sand it slightly and heat it again.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/30/17 11:02 a.m.

So, umm...

I havent taken my ring off in about 4 years. It now has weld spatter on it, and is kind of aggravating. (Titanium).

I cant get it off. The ring or the splatter.

Ideas short of amputation?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/30/17 12:08 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: So, umm... I havent taken my ring off in about 4 years. It now has weld spatter on it, and is kind of aggravating. (Titanium). I cant get it off. The ring or the splatter. Ideas short of amputation?

Go sit in a freezer for awhile. Has to be the whole body--get reduced blood flow to your extremeties. Then use lotion and try to pull/twist the ring until it falls off your finger.

Alternatively, lose some weight.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/30/17 12:29 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: So, umm... I havent taken my ring off in about 4 years. It now has weld spatter on it, and is kind of aggravating. (Titanium). I cant get it off. The ring or the splatter. Ideas short of amputation?

Tungsten carbide rings will crack like ceramic under pressure from a clamp or vice. Titanium rings require a Dremel with a diamond cutting disc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLRLdGqCezs

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rv2MeboK0uASSfnCXFHhWwyYMHkielCfsOmSg5696XeEpdLMQAiYucFQEbsRw4qN