Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/1/18 1:45 p.m.

I'm thinking about making a "metal fabrication station"... Or at least a place to hold my chop saw, bench grinder, angle grinders and accessories. 

How would you store all the stuff? Idea is so that I can grab the whole thing when I need to do a metal project and have almost everything there ready to go. Wheels? Metal bench top? Open shelves or closed cabinets? Big arms that can slide or swing out like a miter saw stand? Single electrical plug with multiple outlets on the stand? Hooks? Cubbies? Other tools/gear to keep in there?

My welder is already on a separate stand (the cheapo hf cart). So I'll be leaving it separate for now, but all ideas/pics welcome!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/1/18 2:12 p.m.

Subscribed for ideas, our garage is in need of some rearranging and organization. Metal working stuff is scattered hither and yon.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/1/18 2:54 p.m.

I have an old scope base cabinet, maybe 2x5 that has my drill press and belt sander along the long edge and the grinder on the end.  It's ok for that stuff, but the chop saw needs too much clearance on both ends to be restricted by the other tools. It also needs supports running out a few feet.  I built a metal rack with a depressed chunk  in the top so the saw is at the level of the deck. Steel is below, saw is above.  Lacking room for that, I'd just use the floor for the saw.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
4/1/18 2:56 p.m.

3' x 6' bench with metal top.  Chop saw mounted on one end and grinder on the other.  This will leave rom for a small brake to be mounted between them on a long side.

Closed cabinet with at least 2 shelves to keep all the dust out.  Mounted on wheels to be moved and stored out of the way.  Single electrical cord with multiple outlets (power strip). 

Top should over hang cabinet ~4" to allow for hooks under top to hang angle grinders, etc.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
4/1/18 7:46 p.m.

See "scarecrow" from Project Binky

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/1/18 8:22 p.m.

if you have visions of mounting things that don't need to be used all the time make provisions under the top for hitch reciever type openings. use these for installing vice, shrinker/stretcher, bench grinder, table extensions, etc.

stafford1500
4/1/18 8:24 p.m.

also make the edges thick enough to clamp to securely with c-clamps

stafford1500
4/1/18 8:29 p.m.

one final idea, my fixture table has some often used threaded holes in the top surface used for clamping things solidly to the flat surface. at the very least, have some holes to bolt thru

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/18 8:35 p.m.

Grinders go on the welding cart. It's got a power strip on it now as well. 

I wound up just setting up a table with all the saws on it. If you have the space, a rolling tool chest base with a steel top. Keep the told inside and have a good work space. 

Robbie
4/2/18 8:54 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I have an old scope base cabinet, maybe 2x5 that has my drill press and belt sander along the long edge and the grinder on the end.  It's ok for that stuff, but the chop saw needs too much clearance on both ends to be restricted by the other tools. It also needs supports running out a few feet.  I built a metal rack with a depressed chunk  in the top so the saw is at the level of the deck. Steel is below, saw is above.  Lacking room for that, I'd just use the floor for the saw.

Interesting idea to make the saw stand on the metal rack.

I could do the bench grinder on 'gasp' a workbench, and the grinders on the welding cart too. Lots to think about.

Robbie
4/2/18 10:09 a.m.

I was thinking something like this:

See the source image

If the arms can fold up and down and the whole thing is on wheels that could be pretty neat. But I am reminded that I really don't use my chop saw that often. Having it on the metal storage rack might actually be perfect.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/18 10:11 a.m.

Also following for ideas.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/2/18 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Thanks for posting that Robbie. I was thinking about building a miter saw station on and off for a few months. I just didn't want to give up all the space by having a whole wall of my workshop devoted to it/ A mobile folding version will be perfect for what I need.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rf4ueWNdMqvmgNRxZkN8EcGi042rqJba98LlBfrYYKWHULNeLYAw8jhLHdLePe99