1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 ... 441
Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/17 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux :

The rear plugs aren't bad from below with a swivel and a couple extensions.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/12/17 8:57 p.m.

I'm going to a Stevie Nicks concert tomorrow. I wasn't sure if this goes in confessions or bragging, so I'm leaving it here.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
9/20/17 9:56 a.m.

I had to click on the locked printer thread because my first thought when I saw that it was locked was "Ok, how the hell did you guys make THAT a political argument?"

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/20/17 10:41 a.m.
Chadeux said:

I had to click on the locked printer thread because my first thought when I saw that it was locked was "Ok, how the hell did you guys make THAT a political argument?"

Same here. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/20/17 12:01 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:
Chadeux said:

Same here. 

Me three.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/20/17 12:16 p.m.

I am currently seriously debating putting a GM 34 00 in my wrecked Miata for next year's challenge car

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/17 12:19 p.m.
N Sperlo said:

I'm going to a Stevie Nicks concert tomorrow. I wasn't sure if this goes in confessions or bragging, so I'm leaving it here.

I'd definitely say that belongs in the Minor Rant thread.

AWSX1686 said:
Chadeux said:

Same here. 

Yup indeedy.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
9/20/17 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux 

I had the same thought.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/20/17 1:39 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I am currently seriously debating putting a GM 34 00 in my wrecked Miata for next year's challenge car

An aquaintence of mine brought his MGB with 3400 and 5 speed from a 90's Firebird in to the shop for some finish up/detail work.  It is berkeleying spectacular.  Super driveable, sedate, but will leave your hat behind when you tread on the loudpedal.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/20/17 1:44 p.m.

I had a 3.4 S10 once. It was impressive for what it was. I think the higher horsepower 3400 and a lighter chassis would almost be mind-bending.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/17 5:36 p.m.

I'm more afraid of using the non powered spring compressor I bought from harbor freight today than I am the 240v welder I bought this summer. 

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/21/17 8:04 p.m.

The wife's new CUV has push button transmission drive selection. I really, really like that. It instantaneously makes traditional console mounted shift levers feel two generations outdated. 

Then I found out today that the new Aston Martin DB11 has push button drive selection too. And that just validates my opinion. 

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/17 8:09 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock :

So, automakers have finally caught up with what Ma Mopar had in the early 60s?

(I got paid to flog a "Stage III" 426 Belvedere with a pushbutton 727.  This sounds way more awesome than the mundane reality:  The fun is all in the nostalgia, a modern minivan is way faster)

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/21/17 10:57 p.m.

I drove a 1990 Cadillac Sedan Deville today at work. It had 70k miles, lived in a garage its entire life and is still owned by the original purchaser. It was in the shop due to "no power when going up hills". I found a huge mouse nest along with 20-30 consumed acorns in the air box. The entire air box was full. After I cleaned it out, I test drove it.

I was impressed. The 4.5L V8 wasn't a powerhouse but it was smooth. The seats were like piloting a burgundy leather couch down the road. All of the electronic dash components worked. The hood mounted indicators and the headliner mounted light indicators worked. The doors, which were normal sized; being a sedan, weighed 2-3 times more than they should have.

I guess I'm getting old because I really liked that barge. It had presence. It floated down the road like a leather-lined cloud. I felt like I should of been wearing a suit and a fedora.

My confession is that I drove an early '90s GM product and liked it. And I greatly dislike GM.

Looked exactly like this but with dark tinted windows:

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/21/17 11:19 p.m.

In reply to Knurled :

Exactly. They had it right way back then. Although thinking about it more I much prefer a column shifter than a floor mounted shifter in an auto. Basically, if it's not a manual transmission I don't like crap taking up floor space.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/17 6:59 a.m.

This morning on the way out of Home Depot, I saw an E36 BMW in perfect condition. A bunch of thoughts ran through my head about how I never really liked them as much as the E30 and E46, even though everyone seems to love them.

Then I thought to myself, "Have I ever even driven a BMW?". I combed through my memory banks and realized that I had probably driven at least seven of them.

Eventually, it occurred to me that I had owned and driven a BMW for about a year and a half. That was less than three years ago.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/22/17 7:05 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

The house across the street from me was occupied by an older Asian couple.  It was owned by a holding company, and one day they disappeared.  Rumor had it that the gentleman died (which I believe is true) and that the lady's family, who had never approved of her being in the States, more or less forcibly relocated her back East.

All I know is that the house sat unoccupied for more than 10 years.  It finally went to auction 7 or 8 years ago, and I walked through it out of morbid curiosity.  It was like the people vanished in the middle of a normal evening at home - stuff still everywhere, TV remotes on the coffee table, food in the cupboards, and clothes in the closets.

And in the garage was a Cadillac just like that, in navy blue.  Probably had 30,000 miles on it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/28/17 9:42 a.m.

I'm not depressed.  I enjoy life and the things in it.  I like my chosen profession and the company where I just passed my 10-year anniversary.

But I have just about zero motivation to work lately.  And it's getting worse.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/28/17 9:47 a.m.
Duke said:

I'm not depressed.  I enjoy life and the things in it.  I like my chosen profession and the company where I just passed my 10-year anniversary.

But I have just about zero motivation to work lately.  And it's getting worse.

I know you're farther along in your career than I am (5 years for me), but definitely relate. I'm about to jump industries, going from large corporations to a tiny one. Hoping that it will light the fire under my ass. I think it should--part of my problem was identifying "why the hell should I do this?" There was really no value-add in most of my job duties. The only reason to do it was so that we could show regulators we were doing it. Rather pointless really. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/17 12:44 p.m.

Whenever I see this:

I think of this:

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
9/28/17 1:54 p.m.

Decided too build a vintage bicycle as a winter project since my car will be in storage. I stumbled onto a bike forum and now own 7 bikes to build for diffrent things. I have no self control 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/28/17 2:28 p.m.

I had to put my kitty down right before hurricane Irma came through, and because I had a house to board and didn't have the bandwidth to go right home and bury her (and didn't want to just hold her out the door and let the storm take her to a Viking-style valhalla), I said "yes" when they asked if I wanted her cremated--figuring that bought me a couple weeks to get her home and buried and, tbh, with a smaller hole to dig.

I picked her up yesterday and instead of being in the expected cardboard box (which is pretty much what my freakin' MOM came back in), she's in a beautifully made little rosewood casket/box/keepsake. Like I want to put her on my shelf for forever. So now I'm stuck, because I'm too cheap to bury a nice box that I accidentally paid for, and because when I posted this on Facebook, most of friends told me they have kitties and puppies on their shelves already. So now I feel heartless, extravagant, and a little weirded out.

Margie

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/28/17 6:30 p.m.

When my wife and I were dating, i had a v6 5 speed extended cab dakota. It was totalled shortly before i proposed, and damn near killed me. I replaced it with a v8 5 speed extended cab dakota.  I was hit head in, 90mph combined impact speed (estimates ranged from 80-130mph) and damn near killed shortly before my daughter was born. My wife banned me from buying another, as she is convinced that the next one will finish the job. 

I just drove a 98 v6 5 speed extended cab dakota home. Its titled in my brother's name, intended for my neice. 

The confession? I may have told him id buy it from him when she is done with it. I have not told my wife....

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/17 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Minor confession:  When you first posted that you had to put Sarah down before the storm hit I was a bit confused until I figured out that Sarah was a cat.  

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
9/29/17 6:45 p.m.

It's entirely possible that I ripped a small skid in the driveway after fixing my sister's Mustang. I find it funny that the sketchy tires that are on it now didn't leave any marks. 

1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lwVGYZXj5AFibzJD0YHv516i5fixmMx7f1EI1Y0uKwMvvTgHU1LyNRY7MjPzB3jC