1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 ... 441
Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/1/17 3:52 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

I feel like this has been me for the past 2 years as my now 22 year old self, trying like hell to do something with my life, am genuinely terrified that it's not going to happen. It may have leaked a little but I've tried to keep it off here the same way I keep it away from work. I know for a fact I've made it hard for the people in my life to put up with me though. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/1/17 8:06 a.m.

Was watching something on youtube and there was a skippable ad. Was just getting ready to click the Skip button and then the ad's music started and it was Hall & Oates and I went "I'll let this one play out." And I did.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
12/1/17 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Just the fact that you realize that you want to do something with your life tells me that you are ahead of most of the 22 year olds that I encounter.

Some generic advice from someone older, but not necessarily wiser.

Find a job that you enjoy and can make a decent living at even if you can make more money doing something else that you don't enjoy. Dread of getting up and going to work sucks. I know. I did it for 27 years because it "paid well". I feel I missed a lot of prime years of life because I was at work, getting ready for work, or just gotten off a 16, 20 or 24 hour work day. (My longest "day" was 32 hrs straight running a manual bore mill. On my feet the entire time.)

Keep your debt load as low as possible. Freedom from debt is a powerful tool towards happiness and freedom in general.

Save for retirement from Day 1. It will be here before you realize.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/17 8:43 a.m.
The_Jed said:

Yep, I douched it. I've been exceedingly angry lately.

Sorry folks.

It was the trip to Disney. That place sucked all the happiness out of you.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/1/17 9:04 a.m.

I keep expecting that one day I'll automatically reach the level of maturity, wisdom and value that I expect of myself, that I expect of being a father and being a man. Reaching my thirties didn't get me there, and reaching my forties hasn't either. On an almost daily basis I ask myself when I'll actually start taking steps to address my flaws, to quit worthless habits, to carve out more time for the important things in life... but it's just to easy to say 'maybe tomorrow' and never make real change.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/17 10:19 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

I’ve come to realize that it’s never going to happen.  I made a wrong turn somewhere and now I’m just trying to tread water for another 13 years.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/1/17 10:40 p.m.
mtn said:It buys you security. It buys you comfort. That is not happiness. 

But without *some degree* of security and comfort you can not have happiness. In America, you need money - at least enough to eat and pay rent - to have those things. So are you not "buying" happiness? Not many people starving to death in a gutter are happy.

But yes I agree that money does not guarantee happiness. But total lack of it guarantees misery. Maybe not everyone can buy happiness, it's like an Enzo where you need to be the right kind of customer to get the right to buy it.

I also agree my happiness does not come from money but from my family and loved ones. However, it would be hard to enjoy them without at least something to eat.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/2/17 10:16 a.m.

I've learned that money cannot buy happiness. But being flat broke can't buy anything.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
12/2/17 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yep.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/3/17 9:55 p.m.

I love DW dearly, and she is an intelligent, capable woman, but she loads a dishwasher like a blind monkey would. 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/4/17 9:54 a.m.
Duke said:

I love DW dearly, and she is an intelligent, capable woman, but she loads a dishwasher like a blind monkey would. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/4/17 11:02 a.m.

I impulse bought a ranger for a winter beater without thinking about how snug it was going to be with my ass and two 9 year old boys in the front seat. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/4/17 11:23 a.m.

Similar to the dishwasher rant/confession... I love my wife, but how is it possible to make the messes she does in the kitchen? Just insane. You can put things away as you're cooking, you know. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/4/17 11:47 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

DW is fine that way - she even apologizes for dirtying every utensil all the time, when she actually is a very efficient cook, and leaves the kitchen in fine shape.  But when she does the dishes, she tells me it's full when I can spend 5 minutes and easily get 30% more dishes in it.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/4/17 12:05 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to mtn :

DW is fine that way - she even apologizes for dirtying every utensil all the time, when she actually is a very efficient cook, and leaves the kitchen in fine shape.  But when she does the dishes, she tells me it's full when I can spend 5 minutes and easily get 30% more dishes in it.

I’ll take your wife’s side.  :)

There’s no Nobel prize for getting more dishes to fit, and it just makes you seem like someone that can’t be bothered to start the machine. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/4/17 12:36 p.m.
Karacticus said:
Duke said:

In reply to mtn :

I’ll take your wife’s side.  :)

There’s no Nobel prize for getting more dishes to fit, and it just makes you seem like someone that can’t be bothered to start the machine. 

Except for reducing the number of run cycles, the amount of energy and water used, and getting all the dishes into the machine, instead of leaving the ones that "don't fit" to clutter up the sink for another day...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/4/17 2:42 p.m.

One thing I have learned is that no one can agree on loading dishwashers. This is the main problem with dishwashers. laugh

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/4/17 2:46 p.m.

My method to loading a dish washer is just to cram stuff in and hope for the best. My wife does not like this method.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/17 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

My wife has the opposite problem.  I assume she believes the dishes are afraid of the dark and must have a buddy toughing at all times.  Sadly the buddy system keeps soap and water from reaching many of the dishes leading me to unload a half washed collection of plates and run the machine twice more.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/4/17 4:33 p.m.

My confession: i really want to make a sexist joke about wives being the dishwasher, but i can't in good conscience . 

I do the dishes. 

Other confession: i like starting projects. I suck at finishing them.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/4/17 6:29 p.m.

Oh you mean like that time I bought a $400 truck, got all excited about building it for the challenge, took one look at the floor and the wiring then promptly did nothing until I hauled it off for scrap? (I kept the wheels, tail lights, bumper and wheels, so I don't feel that upset)

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/4/17 6:55 p.m.

The crappy tires on the ranger decided to break a belt on the passenger front 2 days before i have time to drive 35 miles and have tires swapped. So now im borrowing a truck to go get my truck tires mounted.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/4/17 7:56 p.m.

Someone has the wrong idea about me but I don't care enough to correct them.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/4/17 8:08 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

One thing I have learned is that no one can agree on loading dishwashers. This is the main problem with dishwashers. laugh

And I leave immediately  when the door comes down so there's no question as to the proper sequence of proper STACKING.....i just bees takin' out da trash y'all....wink 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/4/17 8:32 p.m.

34 days post-op on my shoulder. 10 days yet to go in the sling.

If I take enough over-the-counter pain killers, the ringing in my ears drowns out the voices I'd otherwise be hearing...

1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CNCYpPiaXzQrjf7KOGZqzWdY9d4qCsXYkRZrSgjSOa0D20ZyUvXx6y3neaTQDGtJ