1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 ... 441
SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
5/14/18 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Would it be Charlie's Smokehouse for the fish?

Had a little time to do a bit of googling today.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
5/14/18 9:35 p.m.

I drove my brother’s Saturn wagon project car today. It still needs front end work, an alignment, and rear brakes so the driving experience was more than a little sketchy.

Still, it made me want another twin cam Saturn in a bad way.

(This is also a win since it’s been a long time since this car last moved under its own power)

NickD
NickD UberDork
5/15/18 9:48 a.m.

Yesterday, a co-worker managed to set his oil catchpan on fire. While it was burning and he was trying to put it out, most of us just stood around and heckled him. This place does wonders to your mental state.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
5/15/18 9:56 p.m.

I'm genuinely impressed that the previous owner's epoxy block patch job held as long as it did on my blue truck. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/18 10:10 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

You should see the Cummins block we're fixing at work.  Somebody patched over a crack the whole length of the block with what appears to have been fiberglass and fiberglass epoxy.

The funny part is, it was only leaking where they'd fiberglassed over scale.  If they had bothered to remove the turbo so they could clean the block down to bare metal, it probably would have held coolant just fine.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/15/18 10:20 p.m.

I had to cancel Saturday’s autocross because of the weather forecast. I’m only slightly disappointed. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
5/19/18 10:57 p.m.

I just decided not to post during the "parts department closed on saturday" thread because I realized I probably shouldn't be saying bad things about my employer online even if I don't use their name. I really need to do some thinking about certain life choices. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
5/19/18 11:49 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Someone from my previous job asked me how I like my new job. 

Verbatim: "Well… no one has shot at me in 18 months, but at least I knew where I stood with those people."

I think I'm chafing under the yoke of white collarism.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
5/23/18 11:42 a.m.

I just dumpster dived, err dove,, err dipped??

I just pulled something out of the dumpster.

17.5" X 21" X .125" pc of aluminum with a 3.5"X19"X.125" "front" attached with a pc of aluminum angle. Looks like it was a pull out shelf for a pc of equipment. Not sure yet what it will become.

I blame this forum for my decay into the world of dumpster diving.

Thanks Guys and Gals!!laugh

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/23/18 5:55 p.m.

I got hit on at work. It made me feel good.

Im not going to tell my wife. But my wife is far hotter than the lady that hit on me.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
5/23/18 8:45 p.m.

I removed an o2 sensor with a cordless impact. Not considering what the wiring harness would do when spun at reasonably high rpm. It left a bruise on my arm and broke the connector when it did. This technique needs improvement.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/18 12:59 p.m.

One of the great regrets of my life was not dragging home the free Flymo that I found at the dump.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/29/18 1:21 p.m.

I regret not knowing what a Flymo is, because it sounds cool. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/29/18 1:41 p.m.
SaltyDog said:

Would it be Charlie's Smokehouse for the fish?

Had a little time to do a bit of googling today.

Yes.   

Post Office for breakfast a favorite of my families

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/29/18 3:01 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I regret not knowing what a Flymo is, because it sounds cool. 

It's a ground-effect push mower with no wheels from the '70s / '80s.

Having owned a Hoover ground-effect vacuum cleaner with no wheels from the '70s, I think that regret is probably prefereable to having your toes cut off when the thing inevitably drifted over them in a moment of inattention.  When vacuuming, accidentally yanking too hard on the attachment hose would bring that 8-pound vacuum sailing across across the room on a frictionless cushion of air and directly into your achilles tendons.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
5/30/18 10:41 a.m.

We made it up to Charlie's for some smoked whitefish and bought a few other things while we were at it. This turned out to be our supper Saturday and Sunday night, along with some sausage and cheese from one of the wineries. Delicious!

Friday night we went to the fish boil at the Post Office. Great experience and good food, The owners and staff were all fantastic. We got there a bit early and they took the time to talk with us and show us around a bit. Next time we're up there we'll have breakfast with them.

This trip for breakfast, we ate at Al Johnson's  on Saturday and The Cookery in Fish Creek on Sunday. Both were excellent. Lunches were at Door Co. Brewing company on Saturday and Coyote Roadhouse on Sunday. the Brewery was a blast, Coyote Roadhouse was OK. I'd probably skip it next time unless we just needed a place to plan the next stop.

Beautiful country up there. Thanks for the suggestions!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/30/18 10:46 a.m.

I didn't even look at stoves on Craigslist. Im just going to lowes at lunch and buying a replacement. Easy button, but far more expensive. And the confession: in this case, I'm ok with that.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/18 7:43 p.m.

i'm on vacation next week so the wife is coming home for the first time since April 19. She's still in a wheelchair on two bum legs so I've been trying to get the house sorted out to where she can wheel around and get to bed and the bathroom and such.  I'm hopeful that it will be ok but little has so far so I'm really not convinced that this will go well.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/31/18 9:10 p.m.
Wally said:

i'm on vacation next week so the wife is coming home for the first time since April 19. She's still in a wheelchair on two bum legs so I've been trying to get the house sorted out to where she can wheel around and get to bed and the bathroom and such.  I'm hopeful that it will be ok but little has so far so I'm really not convinced that this will go well.

Goodluck, as someone who currently has two bum legs I've learned my house isn't near handicap friendly and I'm a fairly young man. Now I understand why alot of the handicap people I know had new houses built and designed around the wheelchair.

Knurled.
5/31/18 9:59 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

I used to roommate with someone who could be described as a hoarder.  Not GRM save old car parts hoarding, but stacking so much E36 M3 everywhere that you had to spelunk your way through the house hoarding.

I had some surgery that, combined with my crap knees, made it impossible for me to lift my legs more than six inches.

I took great pleasure in kicking his E36 M3piles out of my way in the paths between my bedroom, the kitchen, and the bathroom.  Before, you had to step over carefully constructed piles of electronics and other miscellaneous junk.

Knurled.
6/2/18 9:46 a.m.

Confession:  I like ideas that screw with people.

I work a block away from a Maserati dealership.  So there are Maseratis being driven up and down the street all the time, and the people driving blip and rev the things constantly.  I don't know if it's a dual clutch rev match thing or if they are just having fun.

But, to me, they sound like Mustangs with Flowmaster exhausts.  AKA, crap.  And they look like bloated BR-Zs.

So:  I want to get a white FR-S.  (Not worth as much as a BR-Z because common ricer junk)  Put an LS3 in it for smog legality.  Go against every moral in my body and (this hurts to even type) debadge it.    And then the license plates that say "DOES 185".  Just to confuse the heck out of people.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/2/18 9:56 a.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

A lot to do in DC - never enough time.  We spent a long winter weekend there many years ago and it was wonderful. Many places are only open on the weekends but we enjoyed it all.  Now my kids love the place.  

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/18 11:03 a.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Hopefully you get out soon. I couldn’t be stuck inside in this weather without losing what’s left of my sanity.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/18 11:46 a.m.

Imagine Dragons is one of the worst bands I've ever heard.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/18 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Yeah, but you're a rotard, so your hearing is screwed. They probably sound just fine. laugh

1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OVNQawvEG1CRtIP13YMMN6mawxSa2nyWkAId8v45hZOb0nfxHYVFpLD0yPxb634n