1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 ... 441
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/19 9:16 a.m.
dculberson said:

Y'all hating on Jenny need to read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/18lvwe/who_is_the_most_misunderstood_character_in_all_of/c8g4njy/

Jenny was a damaged individual, sexually abused by her father, who was deeply in love with Forrest but felt that she was abusing him by being with him.

Jenny's father was deeply in love with Forrest?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/18/19 9:29 a.m.

I enjoyed the book and the movie. Both goofy. Not meant to be real, just lighthearted fun. Except for the whole Vietnam and Jenny bits.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/18/19 9:33 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Jenny's father was deeply in love with Forrest?

Yeah, wouldn't you be??

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/18/19 9:53 a.m.
dculberson said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/18lvwe/who_is_the_most_misunderstood_character_in_all_of/c8g4njy/

Jenny was a damaged individual, sexually abused by her father, who was deeply in love with Forrest but felt that she was abusing him by being with him.

I find it hard to believe that people don't get this.  It was likely the most obvious storyline in the movie...

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
2/18/19 10:42 a.m.

I'm beginning to be more resentful of people who do not share my (lack of) energy levels. 

I constantly feel tired and worn down, as a result I need more sleep. 

My daily life is increasingly becoming dictated by people who are high energy and don't sleep. They are up at 5AM and at work by 7AM. I just can't do that. I need more sleep. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/18/19 12:19 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
dculberson said:

I find it hard to believe that people don't get this.  It was likely the most obvious storyline in the movie...

She thinks she is abusing Forrest by being with him,  so she repeatedly comes back and berks up his life every so often instead of staying away?  And, in the end, permanently berks it up?

Uh huh.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
2/18/19 9:58 p.m.

So operation rusty boost buggy rescue is looking like its probably happening this time. There is a good chance the car itself might be too rusty for me to want to save, but I've decided that the worst case scenario is me having a turbo 4g63 to play with. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/19 4:22 a.m.

I didn’t care for Forrest Gump but I really don’t like most of Tom Hanks’ movies except for The Volunteers and that was more because he had John Candy to help him along. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/19/19 5:30 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Note I said “damaged.” I’m gonna guess you didn’t read the linked post. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/19/19 8:07 a.m.
Wally said:

I didn’t care for Forrest Gump but I really don’t like most of Tom Hanks’ movies except for The Volunteers and that was more because he had John Candy to help him along. 

How could you not like Toy Story?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/19/19 11:05 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Duke :

I read every word of it.  She's convinced she's abusing him... but she refuses to stop.  Not buying that makes her "misunderstood".

If she stayed away to avoid abusing him, but couldn't find a way to explain why she was acting like she didn't love him when really she did, that would be one thing.

If she was damaged and so didn't understand what love is, and so kept abusing him, that would be a different thing.

But according to the theory in your link, she fully believes she is abusing him, but never stops.  She just comes and abuses him (in her understanding of it) and then runs away, abusing him again.  And then repeats the process.

I'm having a hard time drumming up any sympathy for her.  And considering that she's the victim of molestation, that's saying something about how awful a character she is.

Wally
2/19/19 11:17 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I said most. For every Toy Story or Apollo 13 there’s a Cast Away, Captain Phillips, Sully, Terminal, Turner and Hooch....  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/19/19 12:12 p.m.

I want a new car.  I can afford a new car.  I don't need a new car.  I can't justify buying a new car.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/19/19 12:23 p.m.
Duke said:

I want a new car.  I can afford a new car.  I don't need a new car.  I can't justify buying a new car.

My Grandpa always said "If you can afford it and it isn't illegal or immoral, do it"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/19/19 1:13 p.m.
mtn said:
Duke said:

My Grandpa always said "If you can afford it and it isn't illegal or immoral, do it"

There's a Volvo dealer about 90 minutes away that has a new leftover 2017 V60 R-design on the lot.  This car stickers at $53,500.  They are asking about $42k.  Part of me wants to email them and say, "I'll give you $32k flat and have it off your books by this weekend."

Some day that part of me is going to win.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/19/19 2:12 p.m.
Duke said:
dculberson said:

In reply to Duke :

I read every word of it.  She's convinced she's abusing him... but she refuses to stop.  Not buying that makes her "misunderstood".

If she stayed away to avoid abusing him, but couldn't find a way to explain why she was acting like she didn't love him when really she did, that would be one thing.

If she was damaged and so didn't understand what love is, and so kept abusing him, that would be a different thing.

But according to the theory in your link, she fully believes she is abusing him, but never stops.  She just comes and abuses him (in her understanding of it) and then runs away, abusing him again.  And then repeats the process.

I'm having a hard time drumming up any sympathy for her.  And considering that she's the victim of molestation, that's saying something about how awful a character she is.

My memory of the movie has her returning to him only twice.  All the other times were him searching her out, or finding her by accident.  The two times she came to him were to get straight, and when she knew she was going to die and needed a father for her son.  My ex wife is more abusive, and she's still alive.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/19 3:30 p.m.
Wally said:

In reply to mtn :

I said most. For every Toy Story or Apollo 13 there’s a Cast Away, Captain Phillips, Sully, Terminal, Turner and Hooch....  

Where do you stand when it comes to Bachelor Party and Bosom Buddies?

Wally
2/19/19 6:02 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

As a kid I enjoyed Bosom Buddies. I don’t remember seeing Bachelor Party 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/19/19 9:50 p.m.
Duke said:

I'm right there with you. I can afford it, I really do need to do something about my car, but I just can't pull the trigger on a new car. I'm even shopping more reasonable cars, in the $20k price range new, and just can't quite get myself to do it.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
2/20/19 1:58 a.m.

My life seems to be a succession of Jennys. I work in the restaurant industry for now. I cannot believe the abuse a woman 'will' take. I simply told God today in the chapel I can't do it any more.

Then I read this.

Not yet Lord. Not yet. smiley

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/20/19 3:51 a.m.

You should check it out. There was a time when Tom Hanks was funny. Kind of like how Will Smith used to be a rapper.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/19 9:12 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to Woody :

As a kid I enjoyed Bosom Buddies. I don’t remember seeing Bachelor Party 

Wally
2/20/19 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Now that’s offensive 

AngryCorvair
2/20/19 9:57 a.m.

A bachelor party?

Yeah, a bachelor party, with chicks and guns and drugs and booze and hookers and fire trucks!

AngryCorvair
2/20/19 10:01 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to Woody :

Now that’s offensive 

Yeah, targas are gross.

1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DclasKiVDNaKKov5qJSrRmK0nwNE0mjljk99bJabL3BsETxUrrfo4mgNXXIT8FrS