1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 ... 441
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/19 1:27 a.m.

There are so few people that know what an IROC Camaro was. Even less that would know what IROC stands for in the first place.  frown

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/15/19 1:40 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

98% of the population seems to think that every 82-92 Camaro was an IROC-Z.  And you're right none if them know what the acronym means.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/15/19 6:38 a.m.
slowbird said:

I may be overly obsessed with having appropriate center caps for wheels that I mix and match between FoMoCo brands. Thunderbird wheels on a Cougar? Gotta search and find Mercury caps that will fit, even if they look a bit off. Ford/Mercury wheels on a Town Car? Might have to buy a bunch of Lincoln caps and just see if they fit. If not, they'll make good decorations.

I can understand.  I want to bondo over the Pontiac text on the Firebird wheels on my S10 and paint them.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/15/19 6:59 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
slowbird said:

I may be overly obsessed with having appropriate center caps for wheels that I mix and match between FoMoCo brands. Thunderbird wheels on a Cougar? Gotta search and find Mercury caps that will fit, even if they look a bit off. Ford/Mercury wheels on a Town Car? Might have to buy a bunch of Lincoln caps and just see if they fit. If not, they'll make good decorations.

I can understand.  I want to bondo over the Pontiac text on the Firebird wheels on my S10 and paint them.

I know a guy that put a considerable amount of effort into making Buick center caps fit into Pontiac wheels on his Century.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/15/19 7:27 a.m.
Daylan C said:
eastsideTim said:
slowbird said:

I know a guy that put a considerable amount of effort into making Buick center caps fit into Pontiac wheels on his Century.

I like having the wrong name on parts. Most people would never ever notice, and the ones that would would get a kick out of it.  My buddy has an opel badge in the front of his rx8, and no one has ever said anything. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/15/19 8:50 a.m.
joey48442 said:
Daylan C said:
eastsideTim said:
slowbird said:

I like having the wrong name on parts. Most people would never ever notice, and the ones that would would get a kick out of it.  My buddy has an opel badge in the front of his rx8, and no one has ever said anything. 

A guy at work has an NA with weaves, and Infiniti center caps. My moms subaru wears snow tires on the stock wheels, and summer tires on the stock wheels from Dads G37 that he sold a while back.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/15/19 11:05 a.m.

I just got the dirtbike engine reassembled following a nearly-full teardown to replace a wrecked third gear. Its the farthest down I've had an engine. I got it running and told myself that I was going to take it easy so if it decided to lunch something, it wouldn't completely grenade the engine. 

I discovered last night that it RIPS in third and fourth. I may have jumped it. Maybe twice. Now I really really want to take that "take it easy" comment back so I can go thrash on it.

I may need to work on my mechanical sympathy.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/19 12:56 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Appleseed :

98% of the population seems to think that every 82-92 Camaro was an IROC-Z.  And you're right none if them know what the acronym means.

Guy I WORK with was talking about the 2 barrel Rocket 350 in his old Cutlass.

He should know better.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/15/19 1:49 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to Appleseed :

He should know better.

Pretty sure my 1971 Cutlass S had a 2 barrel 350 Olds engine with Rocket 350 on the stock air cleaner lid.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
7/15/19 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Next you're going to tell me that it doesn't stand for "I Reek of Cologne".

My minor confession:  I currently own 8 motorcycles, not including 2 bare frames.  Two modern bikes, everything else is pre-76.  My shop is starting to look incredibly similar to my dad's shop and I couldn't be happier about it.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/19 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado :

That’s now my second favorite IROC definition.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/15/19 8:26 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

I want this:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/d/cape-coral-mad-max-mercury/6917896779.html

It seems easy enough to make "road legal" by using some bolt on light assemblies and universal trailer tail lights.

I can see areas for improvement in style and function. It also is what I have considered doing to Greti. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/16/19 1:19 p.m.

I stopped to try to buy a derelict sailboat from a guy's backyard today. The confession? I think I'm glad he said it wasn't for sale.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/16/19 1:45 p.m.

I confess I defend our state (Illinois) and try to encourage others to stay and despite a few recent governors in prison it really is a decent state - quit complaining my friends.   Until today.   

Title, tax, plates, and now I’m headed to Berwyn to fight a camera ticket I’m now complaining that it might be a $400 day.   

I’m ready to move to Wisconsin or Western Michigan.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/16/19 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I think about it every day.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/16/19 2:28 p.m.

Right there with you. If the past 8 months were different, we'd probably have moved to Milwaukee since my company has an office there and I could transfer at any time if I wanted.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/16/19 2:29 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I confess I defend our state (Illinois) and try to encourage others to stay and despite a few recent governors in prison it really is a decent state - quit complaining my friends.   Until today.   

Title, tax, plates, and now I’m headed to Berwyn to fight a camera ticket I’m now complaining that it might be a $400 day.   

I’m ready to move to Wisconsin or Western Michigan.  

Let me know how you do on that. Also, what was the situation? My wife got one a while back. It was obvious she never came to a stop, but it was so obviously not dangerous and never would have been ticketed.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/16/19 8:20 p.m.

The judge called it a Hollywood stop.  It was.

He yelled at me to push my foot all the way to the floor in the future.  He let me off.  You can see I had full intentions to stop and slowed to 1.5mph. 

It was all of 30 minutes but the judge was cocky.  Hopefully he’s not a GRM Guy and might read this   

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/16/19 8:24 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

The judge called it a Hollywood stop.  It was.

He yelled at me to push my foot all the way to the floor in the future.  He let me off.  You can see I had full intentions to stop and slowed to 1.5mph. 

It was all of 30 minutes but the judge was cocky.  Hopefully he’s not a GRM Guy and might read this   

Damn, we should have fought it then. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/19 8:25 p.m.
Bent-Valve said:
stanger_missle said:

I want this:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/d/cape-coral-mad-max-mercury/6917896779.html

It seems easy enough to make "road legal" by using some bolt on light assemblies and universal trailer tail lights.

I can see areas for improvement in style and function. It also is what I have considered doing to Greti. 

Agreed. It's sketchy enough to where you don't really care if it gets dirty/dinged/rained in but not too sketchy to where it's terrifying to drive.

Like I like laugh

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
7/17/19 11:38 a.m.
Knurled. said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to Appleseed :

He should know better.

Maybe you should know better. Every Oldsmobile OHV V8 from 1949-1990 was known as a "Rocket V8", whether it was a 260 or 350 or 455. There were many performance versions, like the "Sky Rocket" and the "Golden Rocket", and even a turbo-charged "Turbo-Rocket". But they were all, even in my Cutlass Supreme Brougham or Delta 88, a "Rocket" because they were an Oldsmobile V8.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/19 11:51 a.m.

My confession: I like stirring the pot. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/17/19 12:18 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Watch their head explode when you tell them that Dodge made an IROC Z as well.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/17/19 12:49 p.m.

I have a lot of work to do in the office.  It is very tedious work.

I have gotten almost nothing done in the last 20 working hours.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/17/19 12:53 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I forgot about that but you're right. The fact that the first vehicle tied to the IROC name was a Porsche would mess with them too. 

1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uAJ2LYLoD091I3b3FTWlauoeHFKHkY7hnYRo1MUAHN7ACdkcqDHNiEhLSXivp8As