1 ... 281 282 283 284 285 ... 441
preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/5/20 9:25 a.m.

Off to look at something 50 years old and German/American this afternoon. If it is nice enough I am hoping the drive home does not put me in the minor rant thread.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
5/5/20 1:44 p.m.

When I was younger I had no problem with blood or needles or any of it. 
Went in today because after a week my knee is still super swollen. X-ray and ultrasound later and the doctor says I have a big pocket of fluid and he wants to drain it or I'll be looking at 4-5 months for recovery. F than noise. But just talking about needles got me super light headed and dizzy. To the point where doc told me to lay down and he was going to get me some water. 
I manned up and had it done but I'm turning into a farkin pansy in my old age. 

I was getting light-headed just getting my blood pressure checked at the doctor the other day. Medical E36 M3 makes me nervous and telling me to relax is not going to help.  angry

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/5/20 3:40 p.m.
Tactical Penguin said:

Tonight's the first night in my new apartment.  As I lay here on the couch appreciating the peace and quiet, I do feel bad about SWMBO.  Today is our ten year anniversary.

No bridges burned, we're still trying to be friendly, but I know things will get harder for her in my absence.  I just hope she rises from the flames a stronger and more independent person.  That's what I'm trying for, at least.

Wouldn't that make her the woman formerly known as SWMBO?

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
5/5/20 4:45 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

In a perfect world, we both work out our personal stuff and maybe still make it after all.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.  Either way, continue to do the work.

I was griping about something and my wife asked "what's going on?"

I replied "It's someone getting their nards melted off..."

Both of us just looked at each other... sadindecisiondevildevillaugh

I have the best wife! smiley

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/5/20 5:26 p.m.
preach said:

Off to look at something 50 years old and German/American this afternoon. If it is nice enough I am hoping the drive home does not put me in the minor rant thread.

Capri?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/5/20 6:54 p.m.
barefootskater said:

When I was younger I had no problem with blood or needles or any of it. 
Went in today because after a week my knee is still super swollen. X-ray and ultrasound later and the doctor says I have a big pocket of fluid and he wants to drain it or I'll be looking at 4-5 months for recovery. F than noise. But just talking about needles got me super light headed and dizzy. To the point where doc told me to lay down and he was going to get me some water. 
I manned up and had it done but I'm turning into a farkin pansy in my old age. 

It gets worse, pansy.laugh

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
5/5/20 7:03 p.m.

I've been flying RC planes for almost 40 years. I bought this toy grade plane on Amazon for about $30. It's become my go to plane.  It's a 2 channel thrust control thing. I've learned how to make it loop, roll and spin. Way more fun than it has any right to be.

I went to check my mail late last night. I didn't turn on the porch light because it's really bright and I have a small LED night light that provides just enough light to see.

On the way back from the mailbox, I stepped on what I thought was a leaf on the path leading to my front door. It was more of a *pop* than a crunch. 

I just noticed today is was a green anole. I pancaked him sad

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/6/20 8:10 a.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

What part of the country are you in?  My dad flew RC and was one of the pioneers in the '50s-'70s, and still a very active builder and flyer until his death in the later '90s. 

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
5/6/20 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I'm actually in Canada. I wasn't around for the  early days of RC. I graduated from control line to RC flying in 1980. At that time the hobby had already moved to fully proportional gear. Nowhere near as advanced or reliable as today's digital stuff. The costs have plummeted as well.  
 Your Dad would've been running single channel pulse gear. It wasn't really a big step up in control from free flight. It meant the models had to have a great deal more built in stability. Your Dad was obviously a real DIY guy as very few manufactured radio sets were around in the early days.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/6/20 9:07 a.m.

Yes, he started with pulse rudder-only gear, then moved on to reed systems. When proportional stuff came in he was east coast rep and repair center for Orbit and Microavionics systems. 

In the late '70s he and some friends founded a company called Idea Development.  They designed, built, and sold a line of modeler products.  Their best product was a little device called the Hydralock which was a system to convert pneumatic retractable landing gear systems to hydraulic, so they operated at scale speed and didn't collapse under cross wind landings.  They also made a bench top vacuum forming system called the Formicator (ha ha).

He built a few scale airplanes but mostly he built general aerobatic sport planes. Throughout the '70s he was on the AMA demonstration team and we did air shows all up and down the east coast. We went to Transpo '72 and Oshkosh '74. 

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
5/6/20 10:04 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Very cool. I remember the Formicator being advertised in Radio Control Modeler magazine. My 13yo self found it hilarious.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/6/20 10:34 a.m.

Heh, your post just prompted me to google their company and I found this:

https://rcbookcase.com/data/media/32/06Scale_RC_Modeler_June_1978.pdf 

The Hydralock gets a big writeup.  I helped make hundreds if not thousands of those things.

They also reviewed a competitor's vacuum former.  The Formicator was very similar in design but with a wood frame so it didn't get as hot in the oven.

[edit]  There's an Idea Development ad on page 165 of this magazine.

https://rclibrary.co.uk/files_titles/2364/RCM_1978_09_September_partB.pdf 

Thanks for this trip into the memories!  I appreciate it.

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/6/20 12:10 p.m.

This guy keeps pronouncing the word "emulation" to sound just like "immolation". 

I giggle every time he talks about immolating a tape library.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/20 3:22 p.m.

One of my friends owns a local deli, and with an adjacent pizzeria in the building.  The pizzeria has been vacant a couple years and the landlord asked him if he wanted to do anything with it fairly cheap.  He asked if I had any interest, and if my wife wasn't taking full advantage of my current health insurance I would be pretty tempted to open a small diner/luncheonette there. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
5/6/20 6:13 p.m.

I haven't got the smallblock I already purchased installed in the car yet and I'm messaging a guy about a 289

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
5/6/20 8:08 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

You're more than welcome. Your links sent me down a tunnel of Ken Willard "Sunday Flyer" articles.

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
5/6/20 8:37 p.m.

I now remember why I don't like to do lists. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/20 7:16 p.m.

77K Americans have died from COVID and yet I'm fixated on the Indy 500 being pushed to August.

Note to self...work on being a better person.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/7/20 7:29 p.m.

Customers at work have completely berkeleyed my ability to take a joke. Apparently

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/7/20 8:11 p.m.

I had a bunch of work to do so I could free up the engine stand for the Merc block and make room in the shop for an explorer that I've got coming in tomorrow.  Now that I have all that done and I'm ready to start unbolting the transmission, I think I'm too worn out plus the shop fridge is out of beer.  I might just go home and hold the couch down.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/20 8:33 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

77K Americans have died from COVID and yet I'm fixated on the Indy 500 being pushed to August.

Note to self...work on being a better person.

One thing that keeps it in perspective for me is 58,318 Americans were KIA in the Vietnam war.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
5/8/20 5:30 a.m.

My friend sent me a message yesterday showing me that he converted the autocross Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited back to an offroad Jeep Grand Cherokee. On one hand, I'm going to be sad to not see that thing out on an autocross course ever again and I never got a chance to drive or even ride in it. On the other hand, as our region tech inspector, I'm glad I won't be getting screamed at by safety stewards about it anymore for passing it. It was technically legal, but it made people angry.

1 ... 281 282 283 284 285 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F64KuNtna6dIaaVIkjxGyqSB4bIg4XbsGRoxLggj7vQOWJkoC9hwjeLfcyUPh8ut