1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 441
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/17 12:01 p.m.
Wayslow wrote: Holding an ice pack in my left hand because at 49 I still can't remember that stuff I just finished welding is hot.

If you didn't learn the first twenty or thirty times, what makes you think you're going to learn this time?

That bacon smell lets you know that it's going to hurt in a few seconds!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/17 10:03 a.m.

I really really want one of these, and it doesn't make sense.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/01/heres-hot-toyota-yaris-hatch-u-s-want/#more-1490345

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
1/13/17 2:18 p.m.

More or less on a whim I checked the oil on the 850 today. I added just almost 2 quarts of oil, and I have no idea when the last time I changed its oil was. We don't drive it much, 2 or 3 times a month maybe and it has been very neglected.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/17 4:01 p.m.

I avoided checking the timing on my 4Runner after it threw codes because I was afraid of what I'd find. I did the belt myself, followed torque specs, replaced the pulleys and tensioner and was pretending like nothing ever goes wrong or that I don't make mistakes.

That's what was wrong.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/17 8:07 p.m.

Today was a mess from the start. Then walking back from lunch a dog wearing a ball cap drove by me in a little BMW. I've been chuckling ever since. I have a short video but I can't figure out how to post it here from Facebook.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
1/13/17 8:48 p.m.

I visited three recycling plants in Chicago where they separate the materials by hand - in a building but no heat. I met with the mechanics that keep the conveyor belts up and running all day.

I confess I have a good job - those folks have tough jobs.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/13/17 9:59 p.m.

I said that the challenge car was too low tonight. And meant it.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
1/13/17 10:08 p.m.

i turn down side jobs based on my inherit dislike for certain brands of vehicle.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/14/17 3:19 p.m.

I want this kitten with a scar on it's eye to be named Rooster Cogburn. Nobody seems to agree with me.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/14/17 3:34 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I visited three recycling plants in Chicago where they separate the materials by hand - in a building but no heat. I met with the mechanics that keep the conveyor belts up and running all day.

For years I've been advocating that convicts should be doing just exactly this. All day every day sorting garbage on a conveyor belt would be a much more effective punishment than pumping iron in the yard.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
1/14/17 8:12 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Most all the crap is frozen or at least a chilly 32dgF in January - I can't wait until August.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/15/17 2:34 p.m.

Just bent the crap out of the pushing rod part of my HF 12 ton shop press. I'm gonna bring it to work and have the machinist straighten it and weld in some triangulation gussets.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
1/15/17 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

i do this as well.

Wall-e
1/15/17 5:02 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: In reply to KyAllroad: Most all the crap is frozen or at least a chilly 32dgF in January - I can't wait until August.

It should be a delight for the senses.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/17 9:35 a.m.

I went to home depot to buy a set of drill bits today. I came home with a ten inch drill press. Whoops. Not the big floor model I wanted, but for the price I just couldn't say no.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/24/17 11:41 a.m.

I forgot to use my turn signal an alarming amount of times over the past few weeks.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/24/17 11:51 a.m.

I took a day to do paperwork. Im having a hard time getting focused on it.

Wall-e
1/24/17 1:24 p.m.

Today has been a mess from the beginning. I spent the whole day getting rained on and when I finally went to lunch at 1:30 the Subway I usually go to in the rain was packed with kids. I ended up sitting on a crate in a newsstand eating a $6 gourmet ice cream sandwich and petting the store's cat for my break and I enjoyed it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/24/17 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

Nothing better than a friendly animal to make your life a bit happier.

For some reason, you made me think of an old Peanuts gag, where Lucy got pissed at Linus because he was always petting birds on the head...

Edit to add the cartoon:

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/24/17 3:29 p.m.
RevRico wrote: I went to home depot to buy a set of drill bits today. I came home with a ten inch drill press. Whoops. Not the big floor model I wanted, but for the price I just couldn't say no.

I basically did the same thing with a sawzall this past weekend...

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/28/17 10:05 p.m.

The Malibu wasn't supposed to be much of a project. Now I'm considering looking for another less rusty shell to put this 108k mile perfectly running drivetrain into. Because its entirely possible that things like the rear jacking points don't exist anymore.

Basically, I suck at looking for rust and don't care about interiors. I need to start only buying cars out of the desert.

Wall-e
1/28/17 10:35 p.m.

Good luck. There's some kind of spray foam sealing up the trunk around the rear wheel wells and they rust like it's an Olympic sport. I haven't seen one intact in a long time. Rust did mine in when a minor tap caused the rear of the car to turn to flakes and disappear.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/29/17 7:15 a.m.

I found one i might go look at, but looking at the pictures in the ad its got rust in the exact same places as mine. Just not as bad yet. The Bowling Green area isn't exactly Cleveland salt wise, so it should be a bit easier to find a solid-ish one in theory.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/17 12:15 p.m.

I am fighting every urge to put my GSL-SE rearend in the black RX-7, put 2.77 or something gears in the 9" and put THAT in the red RX-7, and install a 289/C4 setup.

Why? I always thought it'd be neat to have a mini-Cobra, and now the only thing really preventing me from doing that is that I also think it'd be neat to have a stockport 12A again. I already have the 9" mostly done, and I could easily take the 5.43 gears out of it and sell them and get some nice highway gears so I wouldn't need an overdrive trans.

The black RX-7 currently has a something like 250-270hp 13B that turns rearends into pretzels, thus the 9" build. The red RX-7 is incredibly stock. I think, but am not certain, I could have a way of beefing up a stock rearend so that it doesn't pretzel... and anyway, if I switched to the taller GSL-SE gears, it probably wouldn't pretzel the rears in the first place. Maybe.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/31/17 11:52 p.m.

Spent most of my day before I went to work putting a t-bucket model I bought a few months ago together. The paint is looking pretty terrible, but it's looking like this might be the first time I actually finish one of these.

Also it'd go quicker if this kit didn't come with 75% chrome parts and/or I didn't feel the need to paint all of them.

1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 441

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BzwCzc90f2d0dRR27AsE0ZiHm1x2sbKV4ATr4kcSdmg9dfagcLIIhwlaZa5NvlHd