1 ... 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 ... 1031
barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
7/8/19 4:42 p.m.

Nothing like 10 hours on the interstate to remind me that almost every other person is a complete idiot. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/8/19 6:03 p.m.

Making changes to the settings doesn't stick when cutting vinyl from the jump drive. Dammit I don't want to tie my computer to another tool. Bad enough there isn't a Wi-Fi adapter for it, but damn, can't even use the jump drive properly?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/9/19 8:50 a.m.

Mayflies. I knew they were a thing and that fly fishermen tie flies to simulate them to catch trout. I never knew how plentiful they can be when they all hatch out of Lake Erie and swarm all over everything. Almost need a snowplow to clear away the dead bugs under some streetlights this morning. Not sure how long this lasts, but it is something to behold. I guess I will make sure that if I go outside after dark, I don't get carried away or covered by inches of massing flies. I thought no see ums and mosquitos at home were bad, but I'll take them over this invasion.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
7/9/19 9:07 a.m.

We're now just 3 days away from the Dancer's non-profit's show, and she as usual is somewhat panicked that nobody will show up to it because there have been very few pre-sale tickets. However, we go through this every year- we almost never sell many tickets before the day(s) of the show. I get that it's frustrating to not have any real indicator of how successful it will be ahead of time, but for some reason people just do NOT buy tickets to the show ahead of time (including the families of the dancers themselves...). 

It is frustrating to see her so worried about it and not be able to do anything more than I've already done and am doing. She frets about how few people end up seeing the shows she puts so much effort into vs. the attendance she sees at the shows for the dance school she also teaches for and has a hard time accepting that the main reason that their attendance is so high is that there are 100+ kids in those shows and likely 90%+ of the attendees are the families of said kids despite them largely being glorified recitals.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/9/19 9:08 a.m.
T.J. said:

Mayflies. I knew they were a thing and that fly fishermen tie flies to simulate them to catch trout. I never knew how plentiful they can be when they all hatch out of Lake Erie and swarm all over everything. Almost need a snowplow to clear away the dead bugs under some streetlights this morning. Not sure how long this lasts, but it is something to behold. I guess I will make sure that if I go outside after dark, I don't get carried away or covered by inches of massing flies. I thought no see ums and mosquitos at home were bad, but I'll take them over this invasion.

My grandparents used to talk about how Sylvan Beach on Oneida Lak would get overrun with them as well, and there would be so many dead on the roads that the roads would be greasy to drive on. It was like driving on ice.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/9/19 10:14 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Why are they called Mayflies if they hatch and swarm in July?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
7/9/19 10:30 a.m.

Sometimes it amazes me how much people complain about certain things at work. Like, this company pays you, stop whining about the small things. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
7/9/19 3:28 p.m.

I have gotten out of work on time probably five times in the last three years. I came close tonight when another cavalcade of incompetence came in.  Now I’m a good two hours late because of a few people’s lack of reading comprehension. 

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
7/9/19 6:08 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

This is Wrightsville bridge over the Susquehanna between York and Lancaster counties, not too far from me. The mayfly swarms are so notoriously bad this time of year they've begun shutting the lights off at night. I've never seen anything quite like this, but the annoying buggers sure do like to congregate under the florescent lights in my garage.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/19 7:07 p.m.

11% of my take home pay goes towards health insurance.  I still can't afford insulin. 

One of these days I'm going to get killed using black market Humalog I get off of Craigslist. Either something in the vial will, or I'll go to a sketchy part of the city and get shanked.

This system is broken. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/9/19 7:51 p.m.
Appleseed said:

11% of my take home pay goes towards health insurance.  I still can't afford insulin. 

One of these days I'm going to get killed using black market Humalog I get off of Craigslist. Either something in the vial will, or I'll go to a sketchy part of the city and get shanked.

This system is broken. 

E36 M40 can be used as a  noun, pronoun, verb, modifier, adverb, adjective and several forms of punctuation. Most of them ran through my mind when I read this. This sux.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/9/19 9:21 p.m.

Viper is down on bad smog check due to ECU being crappy.  

Thunderbird is down for a new front steering ram its up on the lift right now with fluid leaking everywhere.  

My wife beetle's transmission valve body just died over the weekend with 30K on the transmission and 6 months out of drivetrain warranty.   

Lightning just threw a plug and a COP right out the top of a motor when I hit a serious pothole.  

So the wife has the Porsche for the next couple weeks while things get fixed and I am borrowing my MIL civic for a week until the timecerts come for the lightning. Beetle is waiting on parts at a friends shop as we speak.  

Things keep breaking around here. STOP BREAKING. Also I have a roof leak but I got that fixed right quick. Still cheap then a car payments but man oh man I am out.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
7/10/19 7:29 a.m.

Tiger Moms ex is a world class POS.  He doesn't work, sits around all day drawing a check and thinking of things that have wronged him and ways to stir E36 M3 up.  He goes through cycles of acting better but yesterday was a new one.  I saw a cop walking up to my house so I went out to meet him.  Apparently "someone" called in a concern for the health and welfare of two girls living at my address (ages 18 and 16!). 

It's not like this lowlife is the one who introduced his own daughter (18) to the 31 year old drug dealer or anything angry

Fortunately the young police officer immediately recognized that he was on a wild goose chase and being used.  He even had a good cover story about introducing himself as part of a "community policing effort" when the younger daughter came out to see what was going on.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/10/19 8:03 a.m.

I'm impatient.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
7/10/19 8:30 a.m.

Pretty sure I'm going to need to sell my truck. Downside is, while there's a few people close to me who are interested, I'm hesitant to sell to someone I know. Both for when something breaks and they blame me, and also if they wreck it or something I'll see it. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/10/19 9:08 a.m.

hey, YAHOO, how have my 2, multi year old and still occasionally used email addresses all disappeared from your system?

I know my usernames are right, I've been using them for years. I know my passwords are right because I use the same password for both. BUT, you claim to let me login and work through some devices and websites, yet when I go to the official yahoo page, you're now telling me you have no record of the email address? How does this work?

Or have I just been banned from commenting on the local newspaper site and this is how they tell me? I don't think it's very likely considering how poorly managed the site itself is and the "news" stories they disseminate. 

 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/10/19 9:40 a.m.

50/50/90.

That was a saying we used often in the Navy. It means that when you have a 50/50 chance, 90 percent of the time you will be wrong.

Sometimes it seems true, thus this minor rant.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/10/19 1:27 p.m.

Ugh, thanks DMV. Ok, so not a major rant I guess. I was checking online to see about making am appointment to renew my license, when I saw I could renew it online. So I tried.

My birthday is the 18th. My license expires the 19th. Today is the 10th. According to the DMV renewal website though, my license doesn't expire within the next 6 months so I can't renew online. There's also nowhere to make an appointment online.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/10/19 1:45 p.m.
RevRico said:

Ugh, thanks DMV. Ok, so not a major rant I guess. I was checking online to see about making am appointment to renew my license, when I saw I could renew it online. So I tried.

My birthday is the 18th. My license expires the 19th. Today is the 10th. According to the DMV renewal website though, my license doesn't expire within the next 6 months so I can't renew online. There's also nowhere to make an appointment online.

Renewed my Bajan one the other day. Took one day's lunch break to pay for it, the next day's lunch break to get the new card. It could all be done in one place but it would take well more than the combined time in one sitting. I was pleasantly surprised to see that having no AC in the office for the second part was considered a malfunction rather than an unremarkably normal state of affairs though.

My mom renewed her Canadian one last month. Took 20 minutes in one of many conveniently located government offices.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/10/19 1:47 p.m.
T.J. said:

50/50/90.

That was a saying we used often in the Navy. It means that when you have a 50/50 chance, 90 percent of the time you will be wrong.

My father used to say "A 50/50 chance is no chance at all."

Wally
Wally MegaDork
7/10/19 2:57 p.m.

Are there really enough soccer fans to justify shutting down streets for a parade during the morning rush?  

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/10/19 2:59 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

I think they're doing it just to ruin your day at this point.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/10/19 4:45 p.m.

I found a one owner stock blue ‘05 Civic Si with 170,000 miles and original clutch and pretty much convinced the wife and 16 year old new driver this would be a decent car for our third car.  

Instead I am looking at a one owner ‘09 Malibu that has 91,000 miles.  

I never get what I want - I always go with common sense and practicality. .   

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/10/19 4:46 p.m.

People without cars who ask to borrow my cars annoy me. Just because I have multiple cars doesn't mean I have to offer them up as a community service. Call an Uber or Lyft, or walk.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/10/19 6:05 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Viper is down on bad smog check due to ECU being crappy.  

Thunderbird is down for a new front steering ram its up on the lift right now with fluid leaking everywhere.  

My wife beetle's transmission valve body just died over the weekend with 30K on the transmission and 6 months out of drivetrain warranty.   

Lightning just threw a plug and a COP right out the top of a motor when I hit a serious pothole.  

So the wife has the Porsche for the next couple weeks while things get fixed and I am borrowing my MIL civic for a week until the timecerts come for the lightning. Beetle is waiting on parts at a friends shop as we speak.  

Things keep breaking around here. STOP BREAKING. Also I have a roof leak but I got that fixed right quick. Still cheap then a car payments but man oh man I am out.

Holy moly that was a lot of money. 

Viper is out of Smog jail on Sunday. Go California bureaucracy. 

Thunderbird is mostly put back together. Need it to drive to work tomorrow. Parts were cheap this time except for one ridiculously expensive power steering line which I had to have made as nobody had it in stock at the length I needed.  Also buggered up one distribution block which somehow I had a replacement for. 

Lightning gets picked up tonight going to a local shop that specialized in helicoils to fix the plugs. They are doing a ful plug swap, replacing two COPS and fixing two plug holes for 550$. That is the deal of the century right there. 

Got the news back on the beetle. Bad valve bodies, plural, like expected. All had scratches on them and were gouged. Pushed a upgraded unit which comes tested and warrantied against the defect we had for 700$. ~200 in fluids and filters and only 250$ in labor so I paid and had it done. They are doing the full 40K service as well at the same time cheap. 

Anybody want to buy a car collection so I can go lease a prius.

1 ... 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 ... 1031
Our Preferred Partners
SRvM9aiAAtrPyn5flYNOh8dSjf4MkMC6CAgdJe08Yp1eZuD7sKyaxg8lN9tFnMXW