1 ... 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 ... 1929
Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/17/19 7:22 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to slowbird :

After spending 2.5 hours at the DMV just to get my picture taken last friday, I don't doubt it at all. 

Atleast I didn't have to wait in line for the lady to tell me to come back with either more papers or more money. Benefit  to living in a rural Kentucky county I guess. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/17/19 9:14 a.m.

Woman at work is on the phone all day (for work), and she is LOUD. No wonder I work form home so much.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/17/19 9:18 a.m.

Foxfire update is trying to run 8 .exe's at the same time. I had to turn of the multi-prosses the last berking update. Doing the same now wittles it down to 4. Dafuq? Should be only 1. My old machine can't handle it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/17/19 9:33 a.m.
mtn said:

Woman at work is on the phone all day (for work), and she is LOUD. No wonder I work form home so much.

Coworker here does most of his communication over his mobile for whatever reason, since he is sitting right next to his desk phone all day.  We're 5 people in one open 20x30 office.

He has an incredibly annoying song as his ringtone, and since he usually works with headphones on, it's really loud.  Between noticing the call and deciding if he's going to answer or not, it often plays for upwards of 90 seconds at a time, a dozen or more times a day.

And since it's a mobile, he is one of those people who randomly walks around while he's talking on the phone.

I've plotted his death more than once.

In 12 years of working here, no one has ever heard my mobile ringtone.  Not once.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/17/19 10:25 a.m.

I was really run-down and drained yesterday, and the Dancer kept bugging me about why I was so tired after a 3-day vacation out at the gorge- and after bugging me a lot I tried to explain to her that as an introvert spending pretty much every waking moment with 6 other talkative, outgoing people for 3 days may have been fun and that I'd definitely enjoyed myself, it had not been what I would consider 'restful'. And after a month of high-stress lead-up to the show and the show itself, my batteries were just completely drained as I'd not had any quiet time either by myself or with just her and the dog to relax and recharge. Not being an introvert herself (and frequently arguing that I can't be either since I can be outgoing and sociable when needed) she just doesn't always believe or understand that I need that down-time to function properly...

Ironically being back at work actually serves well for recharging my batteries since I'm usually just working away on my own, and if I have my headphones on can largely ignore that there are even other people there.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/17/19 10:53 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

This makes me so glad I listened to my spidey senses and didn't go with the Silhouette.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/17/19 11:29 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

I was really run-down and drained yesterday, and the Dancer kept bugging me about why I was so tired after a 3-day vacation out at the gorge- and after bugging me a lot I tried to explain to her that as an introvert spending pretty much every waking moment with 6 other talkative, outgoing people for 3 days may have been fun and that I'd definitely enjoyed myself, it had not been what I would consider 'restful'. And after a month of high-stress lead-up to the show and the show itself, my batteries were just completely drained as I'd not had any quiet time either by myself or with just her and the dog to relax and recharge. Not being an introvert herself (and frequently arguing that I can't be either since I can be outgoing and sociable when needed) she just doesn't always believe or understand that I need that down-time to function properly...

Ironically being back at work actually serves well for recharging my batteries since I'm usually just working away on my own, and if I have my headphones on can largely ignore that there are even other people there.

One of the things that drives me nuts is my wife saying "what do you want to talk about?" to me. Nothing! I don't want to talk about anything to you or to anyone! I want quiet, or just music. I hate the question. If you want to talk, start talking, and I'll converse, but if I had something to say I'd say it. 

She should know better, as my best friend (and his wife) were her roommates for about 1.5 years in/after college. The girlfriends/wives would be upstairs watching tv and talking about literally anything. The boys would be downstairs in the basement, watching hockey and drinking beer, and there may be 10 minutes total of conversation. And again, like you, people think I'm not an introvert because I'm social, but that isn't how I recharge. It is why my hobbies are basically things I do alone and why I enjoy spending time with my dog.

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
7/17/19 11:42 a.m.
mtn said:

One of the things that drives me nuts is my wife saying "what do you want to talk about?" to me. Nothing! I don't want to talk about anything to you or to anyone! I want quiet, or just music. I hate the question. If you want to talk, start talking, and I'll converse, but if I had something to say I'd say it. 

This... I have a slight variation though, as I am often the one who asks "What would you like to talk about?" after my wife complains about my utter silence.  This makes her angry, like I am supposed to somehow pick a topic she enjoys and lead a spirited conversation about it.  1. I'm fine inside my own head and often don't want/need to talk.  2. Most of the topics I find interesting to talk about, she seems to find tedious and will ask I not keep rambling on about them.  I can't win.

Ashyukun (Robert)
7/17/19 12:01 p.m.
(not) WilD (Matt) said:
mtn said:

This... I have a slight variation though, as I am often the one who asks "What would you like to talk about?" after my wife complains about my utter silence.  This makes her angry, like I am supposed to somehow pick a topic she enjoys and lead a spirited conversation about it.  1. I'm fine inside my own head and often don't want/need to talk.  2. Most of the topics I find interesting to talk about, she seems to find tedious and will ask I not keep rambling on about them.  I can't win.

Yup. She sometimes gets frustrated that I typically answer the question, "How was your day?" with, "Same as usual." Her days tend to be a lot more varied, and things actually happen during them- she's at different schools with different kids, interesting things happen at the dance studio, things happen with grants for the non-profit... but my days at work are almost always the same general tedium and anything 'exciting' that happens work-related is almost always going to be too technical to make trying to explain worthwhile. If anything interesting and worth telling her DOES happen I'll make a point of telling her- but most of the time the 9 hours or so I'm at work are not much different from one day to another, so a one-sentence answer covers it perfectly.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/19 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I remember one of those two sided conversations I had with my grandmother.  She was asking about what I had been doing for hobbies, and I mentioneementioned my rallycross habit.  When she learned that my habit involved being on the road for four to twelve hours a day, she asked who I'd go with.  When she learned that I was by myself with nobody to talk to, she had this look on her face like I had just told her the saddest story in the world.

Meanwhile, I enjoy the solitude.  It was one the things I used to like about biking, too - just you, your machine, and the passing miles.

Tried to explain that I not only didn't mind it, but actually preferred it, but I don't think she believed me.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/17/19 12:15 p.m.

You guys would hate me. I talk nonstop.  I'm like a shark having to swim it's entire life. If I stop, I sink to the bottom of the pool and drown.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/17/19 12:17 p.m.

We have a 64 year old sales guy that walks around screaming into his cell phone.  

Ashyukun (Robert)
7/17/19 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I don't necessarily have a problem with people who talk- the Dancer tends to talk a fair amount as she's both incredibly outgoing and has a god-level CHA/CHR stat, and as I noted always has lots going on that's usually interesting to hear about. I'm fine with dealing with all kinds of people as long as I have time to decompress and recharge.

Ashyukun (Robert)
7/17/19 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Yeah, I look forward to the relative solitude of my bike commute almost as much as I do the exercise I get from it. It's also why I rarely complain when she asks if I'll run across town for something or the other- driving with the stereo cranked up is usually pretty enjoyable for me as long as I'm not in stop-and-go traffic.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/17/19 12:49 p.m.
Appleseed said:

You guys would hate me. I talk nonstop.  I'm like a shark having to swim it's entire life. If I stop, I sink to the bottom of the pool and drown.

No, I wouldn't hate you. I'd probably enjoy talking to you, hanging out with you even for long stretches. But the forced conversation kills me. My natural state is silence (or music); if you want to talk, and I'm not, you need to drive the conversation and with something more than "what do you want to talk about".

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/19 4:33 p.m.

Green traffic light.

It means you may enter the intersection if you can exit the other side.

It does not mean go and damn the consequences.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/19 5:44 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Waited all damn day for Wally to tell us about his work torture related to the NYC power outage. 

Nothing.  What the hell, man?

I’m sorry to report I had no blackout story. My 10 hours were up and I was halfway home before it happened.  Judging by the way things are failing I’m sure there will be more so you’ll probably have a story or two before summer is over.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/17/19 8:55 p.m.

Introvert things!

I can relate to what you're all talking about. I find nothing as relaxing as being able to go fishing by myself for a good bit of time. Being out in nature with just the thoughts I have in my head and the low-pressure goals of "enjoy the outdoors and maybe catch some fish" are, for me, the perfect way to decompress and get centered.

I can commiserate about trying to explain how berkeleying *awesome* alone time like that is to extroverts who have never had to deal with introverts.

As an introvert, the rant part is this: The entire "open office plan" thing sucks balls and is biased against introverts who thrive writing documents, coding things and generally grinding out work with their heads down all day long.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/17/19 9:41 p.m.

Life. :middle fingers:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/19 9:43 p.m.

I too am a pretty solid introvert. While I get plenty of silence and recharge time at home, I have a couple at work who cannot shut up to save their lives. One of them is also approaching retirement age and hates being alone. This means if I am working similar hours to him, even if I am doing a job that 1 person can do very easily, he will tag along and slow things to a crawl. It's like being tethered to a ball and chain as you work.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/19 11:35 p.m.

My old dog is having behavioral issues and I'm worried I'm gonna have to push the Horrible Outcome button soon.

I love that dog more than anything. I hate this

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/19 6:40 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Vetinary behaviorist maybe? They're not everywhere, and they're not cheap, but they often help.

wae
wae SuperDork
7/18/19 6:57 a.m.

Apparently, back in '78, they screwed up my wife's naturalization papers.  We had our congressman's office kick someone in the balls back in '03 so she could get a passport but now we need the actual registration number and stuff.  And they say it can take 7-12 months.  And they want over $500 just to send a copy.  Granted, because the original has an error, they say they'll waive the fee, but still!  

Back to the congressman's office it is.

I know it's a hot-button issue right right now but all politics aside, the fact that getting a copy of a sheet of paper costs $555 and takes a year is a sign that something is broken somewhere.  When the Vatican can process an annulment in Rome faster than DC can print out a PDF, we're living in Bizzaro-World.

And on top of that, now that we're dealing with this my wife keeps smacking me every time I make a Mork and Mindy joke about living with an alien.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/19 7:17 a.m.
Antihero said:

My old dog is having behavioral issues and I'm worried I'm gonna have to push the Horrible Outcome button soon.

I love that dog more than anything. I hate this

I'm pulling for you and your pup man.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/19 7:34 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Sorry to hear that. From what I hear through the grapevine (as I got to get my backside in gear re applying for US citizenship), everything to do with immigration issues takes forever at the moment. 7-12 months for a reply isn't that bad actually. Which of course is pretty bad in and by itself.

1 ... 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TbkKMDCK3ZHHeKVbfeBU2x5Z5FTTrBcrh0WNeofYZqiX5jTbUSCQc2Jkb05wlbu7