1 ... 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 ... 1928
Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/15/19 8:08 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

A friend of mine is painting his truck a satin metalflake purple. 

He insists on calling it purp. Not purple, but purp.

I want to punch him in the throat every time he does that.

I feel like that every time some smarmy idiot calls their vacation a "vaycay".

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/15/19 8:10 a.m.
chandler said:
NickD said:
chandler said:
NickD said:

There's rumblings of the SCCA chapter I belong to (CNY) merging with another chapter. If they merge with the one chapter (FLR), and that's the most logical one, that'll be the end of me autocrossing. As it is, the CNY events are the closest and are already an hour drive from my house. Any of the other regions, including FLR is a 2 to 2 and a half hour drive to their events. And I have yet to go to an FLR event and come away having enjoyed myself, between low run counts, all sorts of timing issues, and officials who are way too safety-concerned to the point of killing all enjoyment.

When I lived there I remember them auto crossing at the mall, that was thirty years ago though. When they first built price chopper the talk was it would move there but that lot doesn’t stand out in my mind as being a good choice. Not sure how long you’ve lived there but I remember watching PC burn not long after it was built. It was a big fire!

I don't remember the Price Chopper burning, but I also live in Rome, so it may have missed my notice. CNY stopped running at Shoppingtown a few years ago when they got access to better sites. Currently, all three of the sites we have produce runs in the 60-90 second range, and they are fast courses too, like top of 2nd gear into 3rd gear. Our course designer is an S2000 driver, and he likes to build S2000 courses, very fast and flowing and fun. But a big issue has been that we are running into scheduling conflicts with other chapters and sanctioning bodies. The FLR autocross program, CNY rallycross program and Porsche Club of America and BMWCCA  chapters have all been scheduling events on the same weekend and eroding our attendance, in addition to some poor weather at the first couple events. A couple of our members suggested that all the different heads of different clubs should sit down last winter and work on our schedules together to minimize conflicts, but they blew us all off.

Yes, this was Rome as well. I lived there 84-91

Ahh, that'd be before my time. I was born in '92. Were you Air Force? That era would coincide with when Griffiss Air Force Base was up and running.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/15/19 8:20 a.m.
Duke said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I usually help those poor, uneducated folks out by verbally adding the "shun" when they do that.  Either they stop talking to me or they start using actual words.  Either way, the problem is solved on my end!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/15/19 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

start using the phrase purp walk.  It might be sufficiently creepy to get him to stop.  devil

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/15/19 8:28 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
NickD said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

While his inability to call it the right name is irritating, I applaud his choice in color. Signed, the guy with the purp rollbar.

I do too! He just needs punched in the throat so he can no longer speak until he learns to call it PURPLE .

whoa.  For some strange reason my cash-strapped ass was thinking would it be cool to replace the perfectly good tires on my '84 Sport with some Mickey Thompsons.  I thought naw as they'd be too bro-dozerish for city/suburb weekend runs but then I saw this ^^^. smiley

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/19 9:10 a.m.
Duke said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Or some old geezer calls his car a "Chev". For berks sake, Chevy is already shorthand, how lazy can you be?!?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/15/19 9:31 a.m.
Javelin said:
Duke said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Or some old geezer calls his car a "Chev". For berks sake, Chevy is already shorthand, how lazy can you be?!?

I know that that's Canadian slang for a Chevy. Because I get Canadian TV channels and the ads all talk about the dealer's as Chev, and the link is even for MyChev.com

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/15/19 9:32 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Im sorry/you're welcome depending on how you feel about it.

I actually really like the truck. 5/7 drop, big and littles with a minitub, etc. It LOOKS right. He just needs a lot more horsepower to back up the looks. At least he took the wheelie bars off....

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/19 9:39 a.m.

Been thinking about passing through the Challenge on the way up to Ontario in October. I figure the travel costs would be about the same so the only difference would be event costs, right?

Well Westjet has a flight straight to Toronto for $240. Crap...?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/19 9:53 a.m.

Are you guys saying I should quit calling this the "Gra-Roo-Mo-Spo" forum?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/19 10:01 a.m.
logdog said:

Are you guys saying I should quit calling this the "Gra-Roo-Mo-Spo" forum?

I recommend Grm....not saying Gee Are Emm, just making a growling sound followed by a mmm

Like a grizzly bear attacking and eating a particularly tasty elk, grrrrrr....mmmmmm tasty! Lol

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/19 10:15 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I do too! He just needs punched in the throat so he can no longer speak until he learns to call it PURPLE .

On the one hand, I agree with your assessment 100%.

On the other, speaking of dropping parts of speech, "needs ____ed" drives me up a tree. "Needs fixed," "needs welded," "needs finished."  It should be either "needs to be punched in the throat" or "needs punching in the throat."

I'm not even sure my opinion is grammatically sound. And it's so common it may just be an evolution of language thing. But because it strikes me as just leaving words out, it bugs me. cheeky

And yes, I'm so pedantic that after typing that up, I had to go double-check myself that in American English, the commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks. Score another for British English. Apparently we only do it this way because for typesetters it used to be better to have a larger character at the end of a line, because periods and commas could be broken off during pressing and the slightly larger quotation mark protected them. We just never fixed it when it became a non-issue.

And at this point, anybody still reading is probably pretty sure I need punched in the throat...

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/15/19 11:43 a.m.

School buses are a part of life, I get it.  Spent a chunk of my youth either on a yellow bus, or a full-size Metro bus in high school (when I wasn't walking because I couldn't take the crowd).

But this business of stopping every 50' to pick up yet another kid is kinda much.  This morning got stuck behind 2 different buses on one road, took almost 10min to go one mile.  One kid got picked up, and then the bus rolled to the NEXT DRIVEWAY to pick up a second youngling.  Eventually it stopped two more times and turned, but not before the 2nd bus made 4 stops itself.  I wish I had a photo of the traffic behind me.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/15/19 12:15 p.m.
Javelin said:
Duke said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Chev is the word used by normal people.  Chevy, generally pronounced Shivvy, is for hillbillies and rednecks.

"Ah lack Shivvies bittern Fodes."

wae
wae SuperDork
8/15/19 12:18 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Ugh, that's right.  Next Wednesday marks the beginning of school bus season around here.  I cannot stand those lumbering roadblocks.  A few of them appear to take some effort in reducing the amount of traffic they generate, but others seem to not care at all.  Up the road from me is an apartment complex with a pretty decently sized parking lot.  One of the busses pulls into the lot and picks the kids up in there - safer for the kids, better for all the rest of us that have jobs to get to.  The other bus picks up on the street, making the kids walk through the parking lot, stand on the edge of a busy two-lane road, and blocking traffic while each of the 8-10 kids slowly drags themselves to a seat.

And this thing where school busses aren't allowed to turn right on red...  oy.  If your drivers are so inept that they can't handling a right turn on red, then perhaps they should be encouraged to find employment elsewhere.  I would be interested to see the statistics of exactly how many children were injured in accidents where busses were turning right on red.

Great.  Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day steaming about school busses.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/19 1:22 p.m.

There are some days when I just decide that I hate people as a whole and want to pack up the wife & critters and move to the middle of nowhere so I don't have to ever deal with them again. Normally this takes most of a day- today only took until noon. 

I walked a few blocks down the street from work to pull some cash to pay the subcontractor who did the tile work on our cabin's shower and instead of a quick 'here's the cash, please sign this receipt, thanks for the good work, bye!' I ended up having to deal with our clearly somewhat unstable-in-the-head general contractor telling me he felt like we were trying to put one over on him and disrespecting him by paying the subcontractor directly (despite his saying that would be the best way to do it yesterday....) and leaving him out of the loop and saying he was going to finish the work we'd already paid him for and then he was done and we could find someone else to do the remaining work. 

I gave WAY more thought than I likely should have to just saying, "Fine, good riddance," and walking away before doing the (hopefully) wiser but far more enervating thing and convincing him that we were doing nothing of the sort and he was just reading way too much into things and talking him down and back to normal. If he spent half as much time actually out working on the cabin as he does complaining that we're disrespecting him or making him lose sleep by questioning something he does/has done the cabin would have been done over a month ago.

I'm not looking forward to the rest of the day... my extroversionary batteries are all but empty and I REALLY don't want to have to deal with any more people. Thankfully 'not dealing with other people' has kind of been the default setting for my job for a while now, so it may work out in the end...

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
8/15/19 1:27 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Tactical Penguin said:

I was in a good mood driving home last night and forgot about the construction zone speed camera in the completely vacant construction area.

Ah well, I hope MD uses that 40 bucks better than I would've.

40 bucks??  I'm surprised they bother with the paperwork.

They're kinda like the red light cameras some jurisdictions have, I think more money goes to the monitoring agency than the state/county, but its cheap enough that barely anyone bothers to fight it, and it's a "civil infraction" or whatever with no points assigned.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/15/19 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I never watched the Soprano’s show so I’m now watching them and catching up.  You should’ve punched him in the face, kicked him when he fell down, pulled the cash from his wallet and took off.  

berkeleying contractors.

Ashyukun (Robert)
8/15/19 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Since we don't want to have to find ANOTHER contractor and have even more delays that would likely have been counterproductive. Had I decided that we would have been better off without him I also would have had to consider whether the tile guy would have been likely to retaliate or just stand by and figure that he had the asskicking coming. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/19 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Jesus, what a guy.

Everytime I see you post about your contractor issues makes me wonder if I should have stayed down there for a bit and did a working vacation lol

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/15/19 3:44 p.m.

Having to generate bullE36 M3 verbage is tedious at best and impossible at worst.  Especially when it's redundant bullE36 M3.

Your Request For Proposal document gives less than a page of information about the actual project.

My proposal is supposed to include a section on Understanding of the Project.

How can I possibly demonstrate my understanding, without simply regurgitating the limited information you provided to me?

Ashyukun (Robert)
8/15/19 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

That would have been fantastic! 

Yeah, we certainly seem to know how to pick them when it comes to contractors. This one is frustrating on a lot of levels- when they actually WORK they get a LOT done, but they never seem to work more multiple days in a row. That's supposed to change this weekend- but it was supposed to have changed a week ago as well...

All of this has firmed up our intent to try get competing bids for enclosing the supporting structure under the cabin- if we can be done with him once the cabin is habitable it can't be soon enough. Unfortunately after how completely simply moving around the materials on Friday and Saturday kicked my ass we've pretty much written off the possibility of my just taking a week or so off and doing it myself...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/19 4:57 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Javelin said:
Duke said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Chev is the word used by normal people.  Chevy, generally pronounced Shivvy, is for hillbillies and rednecks.

That's a bold statement.  Chevrolet ads, created by Chevrolet themselves,  refer the Chevrolets as Chevrolets, or Chevys. Chev must be a weird Canadian thing. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/19 5:14 p.m.

Wow I need to catch up on this thread when I get home.

Rant:

What is missing from this equation.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/15/19 5:17 p.m.
Appleseed said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Javelin said:
Duke said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

That's a bold statement.  Chevrolet ads, created by Chevrolet themselves,  refer the Chevrolets as Chevrolets, or Chevys. Chev must be a weird Canadian thing. 

Well, Louis Chevrolet is a French name, and we have more French people than you, so that makes us right.  And, you probably just read Louis with an S sound at the end.   Chevrolet shortened is Chev.  Chevy is Chevrolet shortened with an extraneous Y added.  Normally, useless letters are reserved for Canadian spelling, because we like to labour more than Americans.

Just checking, but you know this is all just fun, right?

1 ... 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rSWX3Nx35vO8EQ84OG8Jg0oNagQS6kw9aGLlM75F35wEsCH8ErNSCoN5Q9ngzEYb