1 ... 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 ... 1929
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/20/19 6:39 a.m.

Dell laptops and docks suck.  My dock here at work has failed for the 4th time.  POS.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/19 6:40 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

The big dock, or the little plug-in thing?  My wife does computer support at work and she usually doesn't have problem with the big chassis docks, but the little backbar things can be trouble.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/20/19 7:26 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I have a toughened Dell, and small dock that goes with it.  There's a small pad of pins on springs that connects to a pad on the bottom of my computer- and I think that's a pretty non-robust way of connecting two computers together.  Which is funny since I have a tough Dell- which is supposed to be able to take some decent abuse (dropping, hitting things, temperature swings, ect).  

The last time this same failure happened was less than a month ago- the dock does not send signals to the two displays I have.  So instead of being able to look at data on two pretty good sized screens (which is really important), I'm left with this tiny 15" screen.

I'm more relieved that I didn't get another dell for home use.  They used to be good computers, but then it seems they started chasing money by making their systems cheaper and cheaper.  Which loses customers over time.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/20/19 8:26 a.m.

I used to hate Dell, thought they were horrible computers. And I think that was true back in the 90's and early 00's. Now I think they make pretty decent machines, I've had their laptops at my last two jobs and been happy with them. 

At both work and home, I have the same dock - but it isn't really even a dock. Plug your monitors into the dock, along with headset, etc., and it connects to your laptop by a single USB-C cord that provides everything, including power. I'm really happy with it.

One of these: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-Adapter-03R1D3-450-AFGM/dp/B079H7KB9P/ref=asc_df_B079H7KB9P/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309818716690&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6173101710204992075&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021511&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-569175509246&psc=1

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/20/19 8:31 a.m.
Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/19 8:32 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Huh.  DW's work laptop is a Dell and the dock sounds like the one you're discussing, with the hot shoe that the chassis clicks down over.  I use the same dock with my fleet of Dell ATGs that run our autocross T+S system.  We've never had trouble with them.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/20/19 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Interesting- the IT people who have been replacing them for me hate them, too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/19 9:02 a.m.

Lots of Dell laptops with docks at the office here, they're not unusually troublesome.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/20/19 9:10 a.m.

So for those who don't have trouble- how many screens are you driving?  Most everyone around here as 2, some have 3.  All of us have issues with the dock and displays.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/20/19 9:18 a.m.
alfadriver said:

So for those who don't have trouble- how many screens are you driving?  Most everyone around here as 2, some have 3.  All of us have issues with the dock and displays.

2 screens at work, 2 screens at home, laptop display is always used as the 3rd screen. I also have a portable monitor... I'm gonna try to use that as a third screen. Never thought to try. (portable monitor plugs into standard USB)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/19 9:20 a.m.

Yeah they do have trouble driving as many screens as there are ports for screens. 2 on the dock (plus the laptop screen if you wish) seems to be the limit.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/19 9:29 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

We run 2x 19"+ monitors on it all the time, and DW runs at least 2 larger monitors on it at work.  Never had an issue.  I don't really remember hearing DW complain about them at work and for a while she was supporting probably 40-50 people running a similar setup.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/20/19 9:56 a.m.

And I've confirmed that I can run a portable monitor as my 3rd screen. It does have to be plugged directly into the computer though, so I guess the answer for this particular dock is that it can only handle 2 screens, but I'm sure there are others that can handle more.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/20/19 10:02 a.m.

Well, I really wish I was in your seats.  Alas, I have two blank monitors and I can just see on the laptop screen.  Ever since we changed to Dells for our rugged laptops, we've had way more trouble than the Panasonics ever did.  Can't stand these computers.  But it could be a product of the standard loads we get, too.  Can't say I have a lot of confidence in the future of self driving cars when our IT people can't even deal with the computers we have to do our work.  

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
9/20/19 10:47 a.m.

Walked out to the mudstain this morning and saw a puddle under it. Antifreeze. Top tank on the radiator decided it had had enough. Copper/brass rad, Nobody can get me a replacement in less than a week, so I get to have my first radiator repair done today. Luckily I know the guy who does this and trust his work AND he said he can get it done today. Still, not the way I want to spend my lunch hour, greasing it up out in the heat, in a rush, so I can spend money I don't want to spend.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/20/19 12:10 p.m.

Why does it always seem that the most fastidious about their cars are the biggest slobs to the environment?

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/20/19 2:32 p.m.

Trying to get marketplace people to answer their messages is still annoying. 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
9/20/19 2:38 p.m.
cmcgregor said:

I have 3 cars. 2 of them are broken. The 2 that both kids will fit in. Therefore, my wife is driving my Miata, and I'm doing dropoff and pickup in a van that periodically decides it only wants to use 3rd gear. 

I have a pile of fun parts for the 3rd car that I was hoping to install this weekend, but instead I'll be trying to fix both the other cars. 

In case you were wondering, a fancy aluminum crossflow radiator meant for a Miata does technically fit in the Fit, though the outlet points right at the line for the A/C.  Do with this information what you will. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/20/19 3:06 p.m.

Ok dude answered. I think the wagon just may lose it's challenge car goal but it's about to be alot closer to running with the engine I really wanted from the start. (Assuming the deal goes through smooth)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/20/19 3:58 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Dell laptops and docks suck.  My dock here at work has failed for the 4th time.  POS.

Good news update, the IT guy who ordered and installed my last one did some investigation and updated the video drivers. It now works!  Perfect time to go on vacation. 

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
9/20/19 3:58 p.m.

Came here hoping to make some new car friends but everyone ignores me. I know bitch baby. World is a bitch when you have no one.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/19 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

Where are you located?  We've got people across the country.  I'm in northern DE, near SEPA and NEMD.  Come out to an event.

I've seen your posts enough to chuckle at your username, but it doesn't seem like you post all that frequently.  Hell, I've been here for more than 15 years and some of my posts go unnoticed.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/19 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

No one replied to your posts...

because the Subscriber was...

Unavailable.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/19 7:50 p.m.

Oh good. The graphics on my laptop are dying again, but I'm not under warranty this time. I'm guessing it has about a week left. Time to make some expensive decisions I guess. Again. I can't afford all this E36 M3. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/20/19 7:51 p.m.

Automotive ADD is biting me baaaaad. I'm getting bored of the Transit Connect already and my Forte hasn't been driven in a month(?) or so. I was exploring different vehicles yesterday and I was all over the map. I found a brand new 2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X for $28k. Its a nice size but a new 2019 is still buying a 2009. Its pretty dated. Plus fuel economy is abysmal. Next I was looking at F150s because I thought a modern muscle truck would be fun. My unicorn is a 2018+, 3.5L Ecoboost single cab XL with the XL appearance package in blue. But those don't appear to exist in XL trim. At least in 2018 and newer. I can find 2.7L Ecoboosts all day but no 3.5L. I would be OK with the 5.0L but most XLs are fleet vehicles. If I found a 3.5L, I would put a conservative tune on it because ALL THE TORQUES.

Next, I was looking at Challengers. A 6 speed RT would be a nice cruiser that sounds good. But those have a pretty high resale for what they are. A coworker of mine has a dark silver RT(?) 6 speed with aftermarket exhaust that sounds angry.

But, I'm a Mustang guy at heart. I've owned 4; a 1999 GT Coupe, a 1999 Cobra vert (I loved this car more than life itself), a 1993 GT hatch (Reef blue over Opal gray) and a 1995 GT Coupe (last of the OHV 5L). My obtainable dream is a 2015+ GT 6 speed with the performance package in Deep Impact Blue. I see about 8-10 S550 Mustangs per day. The 5L exhaust note is intoxicating. I always roll my window down to listen to a 5L roar off into the distance.

My head says I should save my money since I'm paying off a few debts but my heart aches for something with some soul. My commute is about 55 miles a day and its so mind numbing that I'm going crazy. I miss when driving was fun and not some benign part of life like filing taxes or going to the dentist.

There is a 2015 GT that is local to me. Its not a PP1 but it is Deep Impact Blue. However it has 168k miles which is high. BUT the dealer is asking $15,990 which would be a very reasonable monthly payment. I hate compromising but that price caught my eye. If the car is in good shape, what would you do? Wait for exactly what I want or jump on that car? PLS HELP

2015 Mustang GT with stupid miles

1 ... 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LQerVsILEInsd7Z5usK4eB8cWrl5VRoOPozDKWmRTmc8vwDtmrXZZS9WiWxlUERp