1 ... 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 ... 1926
wae
wae SuperDork
10/8/19 8:29 a.m.

Dear GM:  It wouldn't have killed you to tuck the firewall back or drop the motor down about a half inch so humans could get to the bellhousing bolts and maybe thread the fuel lines over the transmission.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
10/8/19 9:16 a.m.
wae said:

Dear GM:  It wouldn't have killed you to tuck the firewall back or drop the motor down about a half inch so humans could get to the bellhousing bolts and maybe thread the fuel lines over the transmission.

S10?  Probably easier to put a jack under the transmission and unbolt the crossmember (if the bolts aren’t rusted solid) and tip the engine back a bit (but not so far you crunch the distributor).  If you need a second set of hands on the job sometime this week, let me know.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/19 2:37 p.m.
wae said:

It would not be so bad if they didn't put the firewall/floor seam right there on EVERY BERKING BODY ON FRAME CAR AND TRUCK EVER.

And there is actual room to work, before the body mounts have sagged/collapsed.  That half inch is the world when it comes to some of those fasteners.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/19 9:17 p.m.

Would you horse people just shut the berkeley up about hay-- it's all you talk about.

Also, if you're not strong enough to put the hay up so it fits in the space available, you don't have any business keeping horses.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/8/19 11:54 p.m.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a good idea to eat a BK liquid chicken sandwich. Caused me to miss my flight.  In fact, I can confirm its not a good idea. Why? Because I'm E36 M3ting so hard, I could crap through a screen door and not touch a wire. You stay classy, Charlotte Airport.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/9/19 6:53 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

What in the name of unholy hell is a 'liquid chicken sandwich'?  And why didn't you think it would be a bad idea from the name alone?!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/9/19 7:01 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Once in my early business travel days I ate a Chicago Maxwell polish sausage sandwich loaded with grilled onions and a large fry from a well known restaurant at Midway Airport.  Then my stomach rumbled on the flight......

Now I only eat basic turkey sandwiches before flying.  It's that iceberg lettuce that I have issues with.  

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/9/19 8:30 a.m.

Spent about an hour and a half last night out at the cabin putting in the heavy-duty structural screws that the original (fired) builder was supposed to have used when he put on the stiffening boards the structural engineer's analysis advised be added to the support structure. The cheap/lazy berker had only nailed them on, so they were doing a whole lot less in the way of stiffening/strengthening than they should have been. To top things off since boards longer than 12' get a lot more expensive and are harder to transport he unsurprisingly (and on this I can't really fault him, I would have only used 12' boards too) used them but since this is a 24' square (mostly) platform for the longer runs needed two end-to-end... and did a HORRIBLE job of getting the joint centered on the 6x6 posts they attach to meaning I had very little margin to get the screws in where they'd even be effective. Oh, and there are some I just plan CAN'T put in because the stairs are in the way of access to the joint.

Almost as annoying is the fact I only got a bit more than (by my estimate) half of the joints reinforced- and many of the remaining ones are the ones higher-up on the front of the platform that I'm REALLY not looking forward to having to put in... I REALLY don't like heights.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/9/19 8:35 a.m.

WTF, our new-to-us minivan is getting a "death by 1,000 cuts" the last two weeks. Keyed twice, hit lightly somehow, and now my wife dented the rocker nailing a high curb while turning. No one item worth an insurance claim, but all together are going to be a few grand to fix. The rocker dent won't be cheap either. Only four more years of payments to go!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
10/9/19 9:46 a.m.

Ugh.  Women.

My normally awesome sister is currently single but involved in a long distance relationship.  She wants to go to a concert tonight and has two tickets.  I suggested she invite Tiger Mom but she didn't want to be seen as playing favorites between SILs (the other one doesn't even like this sort of music!).  I offered to go with her but apparently too late and now she's just refusing to go at all, well she's the reason I'd go to this concert in the first place.  I love my sister but jeeze she can be "difficult" at times.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/19 12:46 p.m.

It costs $13.25 to report the sale of my own vehicle in Washington State.

Berk you!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/19 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Washington has a bunch of stupid little fees. I'm glad I moved back to idaho

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
10/9/19 2:19 p.m.

I call this rant "speak in full sentences for the love of GOD, you're in HEALTHCARE".

I work in a hospital. We have a secretary on our floor. A sentence with her will go like this:

"Hey, um, did- did uh" (stops to do something)

"Did, did they uh, call back?"

GIRTH: "Are you talking to me?"

"Yeah, did that (doctor/company/IT/ect) call back about, about that uh, thing?"

GIRTH: "What thing?"

Every day I work with them, Always. I literally have to use techniques with toddlers to get an adult who could be my grandparent to develop full and complete sentences. What happens in your life when you treat conversation like fishing, hoping someone will pick up on this conversation line you've cast? Who do you know will just cast a question to a packed room to nobody in particular and get mad when someone asks you "Who are you talking to?". We're trying to get doctor's orders fulfilled and work with CHI, the goddamned WalMart of healthcare, and I can't even get you to make me a sentence with a subject. USE YOUR WORDS. BERK.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/9/19 4:53 p.m.

There's an element of self-inflicted in this one, because apparently the UI changes if you're logged in. Since I assumed I needed to be logged in to use Angie's List and I was using Angie's List, it didn't occur to me that I wouldn't be...

Anyhow, if you're not logged in, you get (have) to use the match feature, which conveniently tells HomeAdvisor to email a half dozen contractors your contact info so they can start calling you as soon as you finish typing up your project details and sit down to dinner. I've told the lot that I'm starting over and not using anybody who HomeAdvisor sent me, and I've got two who were super-understanding and totally got it, and one guy who's apologetic about the phone calls which aren't even his fault, but won't drop it and is basically pleading to quote my roof.

This is not a level of emotional investment I signed up for when I last paid Angie's List.

I do feel bad about the unfairness of excluding people because HomeAdvisor sold them my lead, because they're just working within the AL/HA system. But the only way I can say I want that system dismantled is to not use it, and send them back to HA saying "your army of spam approach cost me this job."

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/19 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

You're lucky. When I needed a roof quote, the first 4 companies I contacted didn't bother to show up much less provide a quote. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/19 7:16 p.m.

Grrr.

My well used but well working Lenovo laptop that I use when traveling seems to have gone from an intermittent issue with keyboard and trackpad to a non-intermittent issue. Meaning that typing an email or a post on here creates an even bigger word salad that I usually crank out even when sober.

Don't have time to debug this and scatter gun parts at it so it might be time for something a tad newer. I think this thing is about 6 years old by now and hasn't exactly led s sheltered life.

Hrmpf. The annoying thing is that I don't think I can limp it along a few more months until my work laptop ages out and I get a chance to buy that one. Guess it's time to go find another Lenovo.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/9/19 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Ever see a raw chicken breast? Its almost a semi-solid. If it's liquid chicken, it's raw. I'm sure that chicken sandwich wasn't cooked right.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/10/19 11:34 a.m.

I'm on vacation,  and I can't relax. I have 10 gallons of E36 M3 crammed in my 5 gallon head.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/19 3:26 p.m.

Got a job offer yesterday for a job I really wanted. It was rescinded today.

At least I have Malort.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
10/10/19 5:01 p.m.

Why does every asshat on CL think their salvage title, 4cyl automatic, POS E30 is worth $10k?

Sometimes I really hate BAT...

daeman
daeman Dork
10/10/19 5:38 p.m.

Grenaded the rear input shaft bearing in the discovery transfer case, that'll teach me for not doing all fluids and for trusting the previous owner .... berkeley!

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
10/10/19 8:32 p.m.

I tend to get fixated on project ideas, and lately i've been looking at all the real estate in Detroit again. Incredible houses that are still standing, 100 years old and after who knows how much abuse. Unfortunately i have mediocre skills and no money to do anything with them, but I can't pull myself away from looking at them and dreaming

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/19 2:26 a.m.

8 hours in a car.

11 hours at Universal Studios. 

I go on:

2 roller coasters.

1 Simpsons ride.

2 haunted houses.

The berkeley?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/19 1:28 p.m.

I'm going to see a very very cool band ,The Hu, but they are opening for a band im sure I wouldn't like.....their new album dropped and now I'm super sure I won't like them.

Who thought a Japenese Pop Metalish band , Baby Metal,would be a great mix with a Mongolian Metalish band?!?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/11/19 1:53 p.m.
Appleseed said:

8 hours in a car.

11 hours at Universal Studios. 

I go on:

2 roller coasters.

1 Simpsons ride.

2 haunted houses.

The berkeley?

This is why DW and I really hate theme parks.

1 ... 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vneVrnlrav9rvBYLCsRXUhe4ILxZBiO0EHcXKkwd4Cyp5fkgXxvkyiK0CABBgK89