1 ... 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 ... 1928
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/19 10:23 a.m.

Ugh. Bought a brand new cheap laptop this morning. Pretty sure my old XP box is faster. I didn't know computers were still so slooooioiw in this day and age

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/15/19 10:58 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

We ran into that with the Dancer's Mac Mini, and to an extent the Netbook-type laptop we got several years ago. Both were massively more powerful than her old computer, but her old computer was still running XP or the likes so ran fairly well on the ancient hardware. 

RevRico
10/15/19 12:29 p.m.
RevRico said:

Ugh. Bought a brand new cheap laptop this morning. Pretty sure my old XP box is faster. I didn't know computers were still so slooooioiw in this day and age

GAH, what's this stupid berkeleying "windows 10 S mode"? And why isn't it going away permanently like it says it will?

I had it shut off, I know because I installed programs NOT in the appstore. Then I had a BIOS update and now is back on. 

berkeley, shame I can't run a website from an abacus.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/19 1:41 p.m.

"Short" does not mean what everybody seems to think it means.

If you have a short in a car, you need a fire extinguisher.  Or new fuses.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/15/19 1:54 p.m.
Knurled. said:

If you have a short in a car, you need a fire extinguisher.  Or new fuses.

In the early 1990's my brother buys this 1964 Impala SS for $1000 - engine and tranny in pieces in the trunk.  50# of Bondo in those rockers.  He gets it running and it's a beast.  Loud with a high # rear axle. 

The guy prior rewired under the dash with one color wire and there was a cotter pin in place of a fuse.  I totally expected it to burn up one day.   Never did.  

One evening my wife and I are waiting at a stop light and two guys at the front drag race away with exhaust screaming and tires peeling.   Then my wife points out it's my brother.  

RevRico
10/15/19 1:58 p.m.

Wait a minute, it's MY fault you spent $1.50 on AIR at the gas station? And it's MY fault your tires pressures are now all over the place?

What part of "I'll shut your TPMS light off in the morning when I can get good cold pressures" did you not understand? 

You've been driving for 50 years and still can't use a pressure gage on your own? 

Ashyukun (Robert)
10/15/19 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I generally assume that you need a fire extinguisher in a car regardless of whether or not you have (or know you have...) a short- though if you know you have a short you REALLY need one...

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
10/15/19 3:31 p.m.

I’ve been really good at not constantly scanning the local classifieds lately, especially since CL is pretty bare and I’m not on FB. Then my wife sends me a thing. She knows I have a problem. So now I’m going to drive 45 minutes after work to try and spend money I don’t have on a project I have no time for. 

Her words “when are you ever going to find another one for that price?” And she’s right, which is another rant. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/19 3:36 p.m.

If I see another dumbass question about putting carbs on a Porsche 924 or how do I fix CIS or any of a number of other inane questions about a an engine that has been around for the best part of 50 years and a car that has been around for at least 30 of those years, I'm going to start smashing stuff.

Seriously, get the eff off of Facebook and go do some research before just tossing the same question out that has been answered over and over and over again.  I mean, Hell, do a search on the FB group and you'll see all the previous threads on the subject.

No, carbs won't gain you any measurable power on the 924 (aside form potentially getting the car running because the CIS is gummed up internally and who wants to do that work?), the engine just doesn't respond to bolt ons like that.  It sucks, just plan on bolting a supercharger or turbocharger to it and forcing the air in because buying custom pistons and porting the head are too expensive for most to take on compared to adding a blower.

I swear Facebook groups are all about willful ignorance and unlike forums, people can't see more than a handful of threads at a time, so the time between the similar questions is really, really short.  Plus you can't really break the groups into sub-forums to help keep the people grouped by their interests.  Nope, gotta make MORE Facebook groups, yeah that doesn't really help.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
10/15/19 8:29 p.m.
barefootskater said:

I’ve been really good at not constantly scanning the local classifieds lately, especially since CL is pretty bare and I’m not on FB. Then my wife sends me a thing. She knows I have a problem. So now I’m going to drive 45 minutes after work to try and spend money I don’t have on a project I have no time for. 

Her words “when are you ever going to find another one for that price?” And she’s right, which is another rant. 

And I made an offer. Damn. Why am I like this?

Ashyukun (Robert)
10/16/19 8:22 a.m.

Was pretty exhausted last night after climbing all over the support structure of the cabin putting in the last of the structural screws, so was looking forward to a good night's sleep. And then it stormed overnight, and the afraid-of-everything-but-especially-storms dog kept waking us up, so we got solidly less sleep than ideal. I can also tell I'm starting to get sick, yay.

So I was already not in the best of moods when I discovered that our house's roof is leaking, causing water to drip through the ceiling in our coat closet. The good news is that nothing was really ruined by the water (most everything we care about in that closet is pretty much designed to deal with getting wet), but it does mean it's yet another thing that we need to worry about fixing. The icing on the cake is that guess what- both of my ladders are sitting out at the cabin at the moment, so I can't even easily get up onto the roof to figure out what I need to do to fix the problem, so I get to deal with that after work. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/19 8:27 a.m.
Stefan said:

I swear Facebook groups are all about willful ignorance and unlike forums, people can't see more than a handful of threads at a time, so the time between the similar questions is really, really short.  Plus you can't really break the groups into sub-forums to help keep the people grouped by their interests.  Nope, gotta make MORE Facebook groups, yeah that doesn't really help.

Word. I made the mistake of joining a Miata group on FB that wasn't a for sale group and a lot of the questions are facepalm'ing so hard that it should lead to perma black eyes.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
10/16/19 8:27 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

This sounds like every Facebook car group that I'm in.

"What oil should I run?"
"What's the biggest wheels?"
"What's the best cheap mods I could possibly do?"
"Will this filter really give my car 20hp?"
"Please tell me what you like about my car. Please don't say anything mean"

Over and over and over again. Every day. Every group. Tell them to google their question and they bitch about "10 year old posts are outdated!" while thinking they're asking something new.

BoxheadTim
10/16/19 8:29 a.m.

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

Don't forget the "I don't wanna pay the guy who makes X, where I can find the cheapest knockoff part possible?". That one really gets my goat.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
10/16/19 8:31 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

"Why would I pay X twice the amount of CX Racing/OBX/other knock off?!"

One week later

"OMG why do I need to throw out and buy new stuff for my CX Racing kit?! Nothing fits!!!"

Yet people still buy the kits that don't fit or the headers that are questionable.

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
10/16/19 8:36 a.m.
Stefan said:

I'm jumping on this rant because it is something that has been really bugging me.  FaceBook has ruined the internet.  I get some of the allure but this moving off of forums into FB groups is a big leap backward.  The same STUPID questions get asked every day and the plug up the feed and bury anything good.  And FB algorithms would have made it suck by hiding good posts and pushing crap anyway.  The worst I have seen so far is a "Mushroom identification" group.  It's flooded by the same really dumb questions often multiple times a day.  "What kind of mushroom is this?" with a picture of what is usually Monotropa uniflora, a plant, and "Is this mushroom magic?"

no

BoxheadTim
10/16/19 8:39 a.m.

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

Exactly. And then there are people like me who want to buy the good stuff and have trouble finding it because most companies only stock the cheapo E36 M3 parts, and the manufacturers of the good stuff are going out of business because everybody is waiting for the knockoff to arrive.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/19 10:38 a.m.

I'm buying plane tickets to be in Florida for the weekend of the berkleying Challenge but can't go.

Because I am going to my step-Mom's celebration of life.

And missing the service for a long-time work associate who also died of lung cancer.

If a third person drops this Sunday I'm going to go ballistic. 

Don49
Don49 Dork
10/16/19 3:19 p.m.

Furnace wasn't producing heat last night, so I called to have it checked out. Of course it was working when the service man showed up, but when he was checking it out, the heat exchanger is cracked, Now I need a new furnace. Just when I was catching up financially. Ugh!!!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/16/19 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Don49 :

The heat exchanger is always cracked when a furnace guy comes by.  If its not cracked, it will soon have phillips screwdriver shaped holes in it.  Nobody ever mentions that the problem is not that you will die from carbon monoxide poisoning,but that you will be sending heat up the chimney.

Sells more furnaces that way.

Don49
Don49 Dork
10/16/19 5:22 p.m.

It was definitely cracked and not from outside influence. Furnace is original to the house (30 years), so it's time to replace it.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/19 7:48 p.m.

There was already a traffic problem right here before they decided to build another grocery store shopping center. There's been a car accident within a 1/4 mile north and south of there more days than not in the two weeks the grocery store has been open. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/16/19 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Fun story, my traffic accident was 1/4 mile north of there. I detest that stretch of road.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/16/19 9:07 p.m.

man i am so happy I never have to go to Raleigh. Could I make more money as a state employee in Raleigh? yes but berk moving there.  I will stay here in the mountains where the state just doesn't care about us at all, unless someone higher up comes here for a "work" trip, aka come by the office and then vacation in Asheville for a few days.  State govt only cares about what is between I 77 and I 95 and the beach.

Also looks like I wont be getting a rallycross car this year. Making adult financial decisions and having no idea what I want makes it hard to actually buy a rallycross car.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
10/17/19 7:40 a.m.

Insomnia is a real bastard. 

1 ... 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FYOxEh933SNEICOhzla0HYla42VzIr7KFtamjCeFsoGnSPNG2lHh9njxPBG5DbSt