1 ... 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 ... 1927
classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
12/4/19 9:05 a.m.
classicJackets said:

100 year old house has utility sink in bsement that laundry drains into. Last night, clogs up and overflows basement floor drains..........

Plumber snakes the drain and opens it up. Talk about tying the washer into the actual sewer outlet (instead of the stormwater we're assuming it's on), scoped the main sewer drain and it's ~40% blocked for 30-40' by tree roots. So, our choices are now do laundry at a laundromat or go ahead and drop  upwards of $1000 to have the line Hydro-jetted and a drain put in for the washer, which would leave us without a Utility Sink in the basement. Right after finishing up our electrical and bathroom projects, and near enough to a wedding/honeymoon to really sting just to hear the quote.

When he snaked the (assumed) stormwater drain, he opened up/cleared a clog. The main drain had been fine. Last night a long shower led to a lot more water coming out of our basement drain. Wondering/assuming now that the stormwater drain feeds the main sewer line, which has been slow to drain previously but went unnoticed. Now, opening up the clog in the other drain created an overflow path. Ugh - very much time limiting showers/water usage now..

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
12/4/19 9:12 a.m.
slefain said:

Last city council meeting with the progressive members seated, new NIMBY council members already being asses demanding a stop to all votes until January when they are seated. Um, no. They are private citizens until sworn in, so STFU and sit down. The meeting itself was an absolute circus now that the screeching NIMBYs can taste power. Watching our town be run by 4% of the population is going to suck for the next four years.

With any luck, they’ll quickly do something blatantly illegal and be forced out...

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/19 9:15 a.m.
Saron81 said:
Knurled. said:

HA!!

SPOUT isn't getting pulled to ground.

I haven't sold a SPOUT connector (or a TFI)  in a looooooong time, lol!

Yep, new TFI is bad.  Going to try a different manufacturer.  Can't seem to get Motorcraft anymore for some reason, I guess they don't make parts for 20yr old cars anymore.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
12/4/19 9:15 a.m.

Sold an expensive intake manifold on eBay for $230; yay!

Just realized that eBay jumped their auto parts fee to 10%; wtf?!

Now 10% from eBay, the whatever % from Paypal, and typically having to offer free shipping to compete with everyone....there's almost no reason to really be on eBay anymore.

wae
wae UltraDork
12/4/19 9:32 a.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

Now 10% from eBay, the whatever % from Paypal, and typically having to offer free shipping to compete with everyone....there's almost no reason to really be on eBay anymore.

I thought it had been 10% for a while now, hasn't it?

The real sneaky crap is that they now collect sales tax.  Okay, they're legally required to so fine.  But what they do now is add the sales tax to the purchase, put the whole combined amount - final value, shipping, sales tax - into your paypal account, charge you the paypal fee on that whole amount, and then send the sales tax back to ebay.  Previously the sales tax was held by ebay so you didn't have to pay a paypal fee on it.

Where else can you get any sort of exposure to be able to sell stuff like that, though? 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/4/19 9:38 a.m.
wae said:
FuzzWuzzy said:

I thought it had been 10% for a while now, hasn't it?

The real sneaky crap is that they now collect sales tax.  Okay, they're legally required to so fine.  But what they do now is add the sales tax to the purchase, put the whole combined amount - final value, shipping, sales tax - into your paypal account, charge you the paypal fee on that whole amount, and then send the sales tax back to ebay.  Previously the sales tax was held by ebay so you didn't have to pay a paypal fee on it.

Where else can you get any sort of exposure to be able to sell stuff like that, though? 

That type of thing annoys me to no end. Same with when restaurants have the tip calculated for you, and the calculation includes the berkeleying tax. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/4/19 9:41 a.m.

Yay more tests! But, not diabetic yet. 

Apparently the nicotine was the only thing keeping me awake wuth sever sleep apnea. So, 1k for a cpap. And im not supposed to drive until i dont fall asleep driving anymore. How the berkeley do i make a living? And, if im not driving, how do i know im not falling asleep at the wheel?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/4/19 9:43 a.m.

Im standing in the group 2 line to board a plane.   I watched an old guy walk up to group 1 and cut in the middle of the line.  The people said nicely to him that the line started further back.  He replied "we are all going to the same place" and stayed. 

I can't even imagine pulling that move.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/4/19 9:53 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Yay more tests! But, not diabetic yet. 

Apparently the nicotine was the only thing keeping me awake wuth sever sleep apnea. So, 1k for a cpap. And im not supposed to drive until i dont fall asleep driving anymore. How the berkeley do i make a living? And, if im not driving, how do i know im not falling asleep at the wheel?

If you get a CPAP machine you will stop falling asleep inappropriately about 1 day after you start using the machine overnight.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
12/4/19 10:07 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I honestly couldn't remember. I knew it was a good bit, but jfc. The majority of the stuff I'd sell were cheap items like shift knobs, where free shipping never hurt and the buy in was low enough as well.

I saw that, but they thankfully only charged the buyer the sales tax and left it out of my Paypal and only charged the 10% on the original purchase price. They at least used a little bit of lube on me this time.

There's really none that can compete w/ eBay still, especially for car parts.. FB Marketplace is "okay", but not when you're selling niche things like these and I'd rather have worldwide exposure for my parts compared to the 200ish mile radius on Facebook. Craigslist is dying and OfferUp/Nextdoor are both meh. If I sold enough, I'd just do my own site but I don't even come close to making that feasible.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/19 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I had trouble adjusting to my machine, it took me about a month, but the change was incredible. At one point I was falling asleep constantly and now I never do.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/19 10:16 a.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

I stopped selling music gear years ago because of that.

And also them trying to charge me my seller fees 6 times even though it was paid in the first place ( sold a Peavey f800b, got the money and paid the fees. Then they hit me with an automatic payment for for the fees that I no longer owed....4 times in a row. Complained to customer service and they told me that it was my fault for paying my fees and overdrafting my account wasn't their problem because they needed their fees. When I told them that I paid the berkeleying fees already they said that also wasn't their problem and they weren't refunding)

Never used them again and got my money back from my bank

wae
wae UltraDork
12/4/19 10:26 a.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

In reply to wae :

I honestly couldn't remember. I knew it was a good bit, but jfc. The majority of the stuff I'd sell were cheap items like shift knobs, where free shipping never hurt and the buy in was low enough as well.

I saw that, but they thankfully only charged the buyer the sales tax and left it out of my Paypal and only charged the 10% on the original purchase price. They at least used a little bit of lube on me this time.

There's really none that can compete w/ eBay still, especially for car parts.. FB Marketplace is "okay", but not when you're selling niche things like these and I'd rather have worldwide exposure for my parts compared to the 200ish mile radius on Facebook. Craigslist is dying and OfferUp/Nextdoor are both meh. If I sold enough, I'd just do my own site but I don't even come close to making that feasible.

Double-check your paypal transaction.  Here's one I did just the other day:

With a fee of $0.30 plus 2.9% on the final value of $115, the paypal fee should be $3.64.  At $125.47, however, the fee is the $3.94 that they charged me.  Do the math on yours and you'll get the same rage.  I mean the same result.  They do still only charge the ebay final value fee on the pre-tax amount, but who knows how long before they change that.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
12/4/19 10:49 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Well, E36 M3. That's just dirty.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/4/19 10:57 a.m.
So Thanksgiving went off generally without a hitch- my family is a lot less... what's the right word... antagonistic? than the in-laws are. But, as a counterpoint- they're also a lot more quiet/introverted than her family is, which can drive the Dancer a bit nuts at times. Like how my brother (halfway arbitrarily, and against the Dancer's protest that she and I were not interested in watching it then) decided that they should watch Amazon's Jack Ryan and they spent about 7 hours sitting on the couch doing so on Black Friday. While out at our cabin in the woods, and generally ignoring (I doubt intentionally- they're like me, they get wrapped up in watching something and pay attention to little else...) us.
That, beyond the one fairly easy hike we took and an initial looking around when we arrived, they were uninterested in enjoying the views and spending time outside at the cabin also annoyed her. I personally chalk that up to the fact that it was in the 40s outside and my family have lived in Texas for a while now, where if it dips below 60 it's a 'cold snap', and the first thing they did when we arrived at the cabin was ask to turn the heat from the 63F we usually have it set to up to 70F.

But, no arguments about politics (was only mentioned slightly in passing) or much of anything else made for a fairly calm Thanksgiving- though I can't really argue with the Dancer's comment at one point about how she really wished we could have just had the time off by ourselves to relax and not have to worry about entertaining.

Things got a bit less good on Monday, when we lost our one remaining cat, Kuro. Honestly it didn't surprise me a whole lot on the whole- she was at least 16 years old, and I'd been braced for losing her since we lost our other cat several years back. I'm at least glad that she held out until after the weekend and my family was gone- that would not have improved our Thanksgiving vacation in the least bit. We're not going to be getting another cat for quite a while, I hope- I don't want to get another until we are also getting a new dog so they will grow up together and be comfortable around each other unlike our current dog and my cats, and I sincerely hope it will be a LONG time before we lose our current dog.

December always sucks at work, it's always a challenge getting enough work to stay fully billable with so many people being out and budgets running so low. I'm probably going to be burning a few more vacation days than initially planned as a result- though I can't complain terribly much about that since it means I can work on things I actually want to. December ALSO sucks hard because for much of it the Dancer is a complete mess of stress. Between the ridiculous amount of work she has to put in this week with the fundraising for her non-profit, the stress and time commitment helping put on studio she works at's Nutcracker, and getting everything in place for her own show in mid-January, it's a ridiculous amount for her to deal with... and there's a depressingly small amount of things that I can take off her plate and handle myself to lighten her load.
Saron81
Saron81 Reader
12/4/19 11:24 a.m.
Knurled. said:
Saron81 said:
Knurled. said:

HA!!

SPOUT isn't getting pulled to ground.

I haven't sold a SPOUT connector (or a TFI)  in a looooooong time, lol!

Yep, new TFI is bad.  Going to try a different manufacturer.  Can't seem to get Motorcraft anymore for some reason, I guess they don't make parts for 20yr old cars anymore.

Whatcha working on? I'll take a look (20 years in Ford parts.) I'm sure you know how sensitive 80s/90s Fords were to Motorcraft ignition parts!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
12/4/19 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Oh man, I’m sorry to hear about Kuro.  I think last time I was at your place was the first time she didn’t mind being around me.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/4/19 1:54 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Thanks. Yeah, after we lost Kage she got a lot more outgoing and bold. And loud- given she was stone deaf and probably wanted to make sure she was heard. The top floor of the house is unusually quiet, and Marley isn't going to know what to do when I get the office cleaned up and we take down the gate since he's never been allowed in that part of the house before...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/5/19 4:37 a.m.

Need to be up in 2 and a half hours. At this point I might as well stay up. This would be the second time in less than 2 weeks. Time doesn't mean E36 M3 to me anymore.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/5/19 6:47 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Need to be up in 2 and a half hours. At this point I might as well stay up. This would be the second time in less than 2 weeks. Time doesn't mean E36 M3 to me anymore.

I hate insomnia. 

Every few months or so my brain goes on the fritz and I wind up getting an hour or so of sleep for three or four days, then I crash. Hate it...

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
12/5/19 9:04 a.m.

I'm getting pretty tired of this BMW engine and trans. Still a misfire in cylinder 4 after a valve cover gasket change. Trans decided to also just not shift and happily revved me up to 7k this morning, which caused said misfire.

I really should just be buying a new car at this point, but I do love this damn wagon and would rather turn it in to a project of some sort.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/5/19 11:25 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Not insomnia.  Not this time. The bad E36 M3 in my head does not take weekends off.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
12/5/19 12:51 p.m.

If you're shopping for bench grinder wheels, don't buy from Amazon.

I've gotten 2x 6" 60 grit Dewalt stones and both arrived broken. Geniuses ship them in a padded envelope instead of a box.

First one arrived broken in half, the replacement they sent has so many chips and dings in it, I'm too scared to spin it at any speed for fear of it exploding.

After the first one arrived broken, the customer service fella assured me the replacement would be packaged better, it wasn't. I guess the message didn't make it from the call center in Thailand to the warehouse that shipped the wheel.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/5/19 4:02 p.m.

Dear USPS,

Why do you insist on marking a packaged "shipped" when according to your own tracking system, the status is "USPS Currently Awaiting Package"?

How can it be shipped if you haven't even received the package yet?

My package was marked "shipped" on 03 December. It is now 05 December and the status has not changed.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

angry

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
12/5/19 6:34 p.m.

The national tree is being lit this evening.  Roads have been closed since the afternoon at least.  It took me an hour to get across town at 4pm.

Then I got the hurry up at sleven only to spill my coffee all over the counter moving out of the way.  I don't want to go back out there.

People have been snottier than ever today.  This isn't worth it anymore. 

1 ... 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T43cYVOEWq3R4vENmRPQ7sOI15DdP2eRMbtalhJrMPtFmfYMYJO0kkIMvb0BaxvY