1 ... 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 ... 1927
Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/22/20 10:19 p.m.

Could be that my normal driving would be considered "aggressive" by many "normal" people.  Duh

But, OMG, why do folks in the outside lane of the super slab slow down to let people on the on-ramp get in?

Don't they know I planned to blend in right behind their bumper and immediately move two lanes to the left and be gone before they know how to react to me moving across their view in the rearview mirror.

And this wasn't in the gray-haired Sunshine State.   Glad I keep the trailer brakes up to code.

OBTW, not the first tapcon I've seen holding a Ford coilpack.  wink

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/22/20 11:39 p.m.

If you are wearing flannel PJ's in a store, I can't take you seriously.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/20 12:39 a.m.

I am getting really tired of people driving around with their high beams on all the time. I generally work evenings (unless my boss suddenly decides I need to work at 5am for no apparent reason) and it seems like every tenth car has their highs on. I had a guy in a honda last night behind my Rover with his highs on blinding me through the mirrors. When I was sitting a light, I was tempted to put it in reverse to hit him with the LED spots I have in the bumper, but decided it was not worth the potential altercation.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/23/20 1:14 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

I've used my power mirror adjustments to focus their beams back at their eyes. Kinda fun when you zero in and they relent. Usually was a brodozer tho. 

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
1/23/20 2:07 a.m.

Making me sign up for two-factor authentication, fine.

Having the text with the verification code take 20+ minutes to arrive, not fine.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/20 6:09 a.m.
fasted58 said:

In reply to mad_machine :

I've used my power mirror adjustments to focus their beams back at their eyes. Kinda fun when you zero in and they relent. Usually was a brodozer tho. 

I mentioned here that I'd do that and I was asked why I was being mean.

I'm not the guy driving in traffic with their high beams on...

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
1/23/20 6:43 a.m.

Wihh the yellow Miata down, I'm currently in a gunmetal gray rental Fusion with most of the bells and whistles. Collision avoidance? Yeah, I was already braking when it kicked in. Blind spot monitoring? Cool, but it's a crutch for poorly adjusted mirrors - most of the time the Amber LED kicks on right about on top of the headlight / marker light in my view of the car it's warning me about. Rear camera? Kind of cool. Especially with the chunky rear of a modern car. 

But the kicker? Automatic high beams. They come on whether I turn them to low beams or not, then kick down to low with any inbound light source or moving object. I don't like it. But I do understand why they'd set it up this way. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/23/20 7:18 a.m.
mad_machine said:

I am getting really tired of people driving around with their high beams on all the time. I generally work evenings (unless my boss suddenly decides I need to work at 5am for no apparent reason) and it seems like every tenth car has their highs on. I had a guy in a honda last night behind my Rover with his highs on blinding me through the mirrors. When I was sitting a light, I was tempted to put it in reverse to hit him with the LED spots I have in the bumper, but decided it was not worth the potential altercation.

That is a berking EPIDEMIC here in Delaware.  It seems like 20% of the people know how to use their headlights.

Of the rest, 40% have the DRLs only (or no lights at all!) under all conditions, including the dead of night on dark roads.  The other 40% have their high beams on under all conditions.

MOST NEW CARS HAVE AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHTS FOR BERK'S SAKE HOW HARD CAN IT BE?!

Do these berking things even HAVE low beams?

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/23/20 8:52 a.m.

Once a year, the Dancer and I get away for a 'real' vacation (quotes required because I think that a 'real' vacation would be one without the Dog, but the Dancer strongly disagrees with that sentiment) over the school system here's Spring Break, because it's essentially the only time she both doesn't have to teach or do outreach (no school so no outreach, studio doesn't have classes when school is out and no kids are around...).

The last few years we've traded off between renting beach houses at Topsail and IoP and have enjoyed it, but have been waffling for the last few days trying to decide if we want to take a risk and go someplace new and warmer (since the break is the first week of April, both Topsail and IoP tend to be a bit chilly for the beach ) and going to Fort Murphy south of Mobile or going back to Topsail. On one hand, it's about equivalent in price to where we stay in Topsail and should be about 10 degrees or so warmer, but on the other hand it's about and hour to an hour and a half further of a drive and there looks to be even less to do there than there is around Topsail (but if it's warm enough to sit on the beach and read, that may not matter that much...). 

At least when it comes to deciding where we want to eat we usually figure it out in less than an hour...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/20 11:59 a.m.

Yay, where the berkeley did I pick up adware from? I haven't installed or downloaded ANYTHiNG to this slow ass laptop since I burned one of my limited licenses for the vinyl software trying to get it setup. Haven't even used the computer in week. Thanks winblows. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/23/20 12:01 p.m.

Facebook group "SCCA MEMBERS" has probably been the most entertaining meme posts I have ever seen. They have a new rule

"Memes are allowed. but ONLY if they directly relate to SCCA activities. Random meme, boomer memes or political memes of any kind will be deleted and you ay be banned."

The last couple of days have been non-stop Boomer Memes. They even started a new group that is all boomer memes. It's very juvenile but the memes are hilarious. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/23/20 12:08 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

The last couple of days have been non-stop Boomer Memes. They even started a new group that is all boomer memes. It's very juvenile but the memes are hilarious. 

The SCAA has been trying to get younger people involved. They can't be surprised.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
1/23/20 12:23 p.m.

Lady, you've been at this company for nearly 20 years. You should know by now that talking about politics while at work is a no-no at just about every office. 

I assumed my nearly dead silence the moment every time you bring up politics was an obvious sign of, "plz stahp, we no compute" but clearly that's not the case...I've even mentioned multiple times now that I don't have cable or even watch TV, yet there you go, still going on, as I slide further and further down in to my cube.

Knurled.
1/23/20 12:30 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

Facebook group "SCCA MEMBERS" has probably been the most entertaining meme posts I have ever seen. They have a new rule

"Memes are allowed. but ONLY if they directly relate to SCCA activities. Random meme, boomer memes or political memes of any kind will be deleted and you ay be banned."

About 14-15 years ago, I was at a Detroit SCCA event and one of the old timers had a bumper sticker on his fender that said "Spoiled Children Crashing Automobiles".

Gotta be self aware and have some humility.

Knurled.
1/23/20 12:35 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said

Minor head gasket failures on a white block Volvo are exceedingly rare.  In the 20 years I've been working on them,I've had one leaking externally because of a fractured head bolt, and I've seen a couple that would spew all the coolant in the engine onto the ceiling when revving the engine.  Minor?  thats GM territory.

The interesting thing is that it was well below freezing overnight, the cooling system was still under pressure when I left for work this morning, and the engine does not have a cold start misfire like you'd expect.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/23/20 12:47 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
trigun7469 said:

The SCAA has been trying to get younger people involved in a club that has been dominated by conservative engineering-oriented old males for decades. They are of course totally surprised.

FTFY.

mad_machine
1/23/20 4:45 p.m.
SnowMongoose said:

Making me sign up for two-factor authentication, fine.

Having the text with the verification code take 20+ minutes to arrive, not fine.

I have three apps at work I need to check various things. Each one of them takes one of those stupid verification codes.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/23/20 6:55 p.m.

Finally got around to changing the oil in the Ram today. The auto hobby shop was a ghost town when I got there at 1530. There was one other car and he was pulling out as I got there. There has been quite a lot of personnel turnover at the shop the last 6 months or so. It seems like everytime I go there, there is somebody I haven't seen before working there. There were only two people working today; a very attractive Hispanic woman at the counter and a retired Navy Senior Chief out in the bays. The SCPO runs me through a quick training session even though I am been there probably 100 times. I have to sign a card saying I have been properly trained on the lifts and various tools. I don't mind though because it shows that they are trying to improve things around there. The SCPO guides me onto the lift. He starts BSing with me and is hilarious. We complained about our exwives and he told dirty jokes. Super cool guy. I also notice that I have never seen the shop as clean and organized as I did today. I was stationed here for 4 years while on active duty and the shop was always a disorganized disaster. That makes me happy that someone wants to improve it. The SCPO states that he was appalled at how things were run before so he's trying to fix all of the issues. I hope he gets support from the Mission Support Group (aka funding).

Anyways, now the minor rant part. I always research to death any procedure I want to do well in advance of doing the work. People online complain about the oil filter placement on the Hemi powered Rams. Now I can see why:

The oil filter is directly over the electric power steering rack. So when you loosen the filter, the oil drops right onto the top of the rack assembly and splatters EVERYWHERE. Not only that but you cannot remove the filter without tilting it so that it fits between the rack and trans lines, which drops more oil onto the rack, which splatters more oil EVERYWHERE. Such a stupid berkeleying design. I took a shower of hot oil while trying to pull the puzzle piece out before my hands burned.

A popular thing to do is buy a remote oil filter kit and mount it in front of the engine on the frame.

I'll be buying one and will install it at the next oil change.

wae
wae UltraDork
1/23/20 7:34 p.m.

Wife has a flat tire and Safeco roadside assistance has had her waiting on the side of the road for two berkeleying hours and still nothing.

My bingo people have messed up some of the accounting for the session tonight and can't figure it out.

But I'm 900 miles away and can't do jack E36 M3 about either situation.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/20 8:54 p.m.

Nothing went right for me today, but at the end of it all, my phone was acting funny. After some really odd behavior, I opened a new drawing note and scribbled on the screen, and...

Yeah, the digitizer has a dead spot. I can't live with this. Swiping through lists looks like taps, so Youtube wants to play everything. Text entry doesn't work, because it seems to be a little wonky near the edge and selects different text. I'm going to have to replace it, and soon. I need to have a working phone for, well, work.

The new Samsung Galaxy S phones are set to be announced in a few weeks. I really wanted this phone to last until the Surface Duo launched around the holidays.

I'm probably going to snap up a carrier locked S10e, but I refuse to like it. I might move back to my Nexus 6, but it's a little wonky too and super far out of support.

The Pixel 4 has crappy battery life.

I own a little Samsung-specific stuff, though I hate how confused the Samsung world is. A Samsung phone comes out of the box with two digitial assistants, two browsers, two email apps, two app stores. Microsoft and Samsung have an agreement, so they'd also be keen on you installing another assistant, another browser, and another email app. If you ask Bixby to do something that requires a browser, it'll ignore your browser preference and launch Samsung Internet. I think they're making good hardware and sub-par software right now, like Nokia did before the iPhone.

If Apple put a USB-C port on the iPhone, I'd buy that. I'm not trying to add a new cable to my bag.

Grr.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/20 9:11 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

it is hard to find good phones these days, Motorola has burned me too many times on orphaning android devices, LG is meh, The pixels of late have been meh at best, Samsung is doing the thing you said, and having verizon means I dont have many choices.  Though the apple watch does intrigue ne and I do have an ipad since there is basically nothing else in the 10" tablet market.  I have a s9 which is OK,  I wish the nokia 9 would work on verizon the 9.1 might.

Mike
1/23/20 9:32 p.m.
MrChaos said:

In reply to Mike :

it is hard to find good phones these days, Motorola has burned me too many times on orphaning android devices, LG is meh, The pixels of late have been meh at best, Samsung is doing the thing you said, and having verizon means I dont have many choices.  Though the apple watch does intrigue ne and I do have an ipad since there is basically nothing else in the 10" tablet market.  I have a s9 which is OK,  I wish the nokia 9 would work on verizon the 9.1 might.

Ooh, I forgot about LG. Hey have that dual screen thingy. 

mad_machine
1/23/20 10:00 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

Finally got around to changing the oil in the Ram today. The auto hobby shop was a ghost town when I got there at 1530. There was one other car and he was pulling out as I got there. There has been quite a lot of personnel turnover at the shop the last 6 months or so. It seems like everytime I go there, there is somebody I haven't seen before working there. There were only two people working today; a very attractive Hispanic woman at the counter and a retired Navy Senior Chief out in the bays. The SCPO runs me through a quick training session even though I am been there probably 100 times. I have to sign a card saying I have been properly trained on the lifts and various tools. I don't mind though because it shows that they are trying to improve things around there. The SCPO guides me onto the lift. He starts BSing with me and is hilarious. We complained about our exwives and he told dirty jokes. Super cool guy. I also notice that I have never seen the shop as clean and organized as I did today. I was stationed here for 4 years while on active duty and the shop was always a disorganized disaster. That makes me happy that someone wants to improve it. The SCPO states that he was appalled at how things were run before so he's trying to fix all of the issues. I hope he gets support from the Mission Support Group (aka funding).

Anyways, now the minor rant part. I always research to death any procedure I want to do well in advance of doing the work. People online complain about the oil filter placement on the Hemi powered Rams. Now I can see why:

The oil filter is directly over the electric power steering rack. So when you loosen the filter, the oil drops right onto the top of the rack assembly and splatters EVERYWHERE. Not only that but you cannot remove the filter without tilting it so that it fits between the rack and trans lines, which drops more oil onto the rack, which splatters more oil EVERYWHERE. Such a stupid berkeleying design. I took a shower of hot oil while trying to pull the puzzle piece out before my hands burned.

A popular thing to do is buy a remote oil filter kit and mount it in front of the engine on the frame.

I'll be buying one and will install it at the next oil change.

or punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and letting it drain?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/23/20 10:46 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

I've had good luck keeping a roll of aluminum foil on hand to wrap things that get soaked in oil during oil changes. It's not perfect but it sure works a lot better than the oil bath then cleanup method. I think I picked that up here somewhere. 

Mike
1/23/20 11:06 p.m.
Mike said:
MrChaos said:

In reply to Mike :

Ooh, I forgot about LG. Hey have that dual screen thingy. 

Well, that was a bust. The nice people will advise you on phones, then ship you to a terrible call center that spends ages "writing  notes" and tries to sell extra lines to you. Sprint has what I want at a price I'll pay, but can't keep it together enough to close the deal. I have work tomorrow. I don't have time for this dance.

1 ... 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ntFqLFUn2xJvzIV6mYAyILm1n0TeVmQHLnY7AwQnRwHT1NYIhw22rvnzeHVSq6B