1 ... 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 ... 1928
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/27/20 9:58 p.m.

Your blood glucose level right now (barring you didn't just eat 5 candy bars or 3 pounds of potatoes) is probably between 80 to 120. Mine is 34. I play by the rules. Used what worked in the past to take a correct amount of insulin. No. I'm confused, sweaty, shaking, and my heart hurts. This is what it feels like when your body is at war with itself.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
1/28/20 1:11 a.m.

As I age, my facial hair is getting darker.

Actually had a pretty good shave today..but from five feet away, I still look like Fu Manchu.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/28/20 7:38 a.m.
Knurled. said:
Streetwiseguy said

Minor head gasket failures on a white block Volvo are exceedingly rare.  In the 20 years I've been working on them,I've had one leaking externally because of a fractured head bolt, and I've seen a couple that would spew all the coolant in the engine onto the ceiling when revving the engine.  Minor?  thats GM territory.

The interesting thing is that it was well below freezing overnight, the cooling system was still under pressure when I left for work this morning, and the engine does not have a cold start misfire like you'd expect.

That surely does look like a problem.  It's funny how sometimes they will let pressure out of the cylinder, but not let coolant back in.  I guess there is a pretty major pressure difference between out and in, but still- It doesn't take much antifreeze in the cylinder to put the fire out for a while in the morning.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/20 7:48 a.m.

So sick of people dinging my car. There was a gravel incident, then a couple of bumps, then a hit. I finally have a garage now, where my car will be safe. I can start thinking about a nice car now that I have good, secure parking.

Security cam at 1am:

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/28/20 10:19 a.m.

Job hunting is the worst.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/28/20 1:47 p.m.

Im grumpy as berkeley, have diarrhea, cant concentrate, and got absolutely slammed with work today. 

I think i need a day off. But too much time sensitive E36 M3 to do, and i get to work 6 days this week! Yay motherberkeleying salary! Sure i can flex it out....

Thanks. Needed to get it off my chest before calling a guardian. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/20 2:22 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Knurled. said:
Streetwiseguy said

Minor head gasket failures on a white block Volvo are exceedingly rare.  In the 20 years I've been working on them,I've had one leaking externally because of a fractured head bolt, and I've seen a couple that would spew all the coolant in the engine onto the ceiling when revving the engine.  Minor?  thats GM territory.

The interesting thing is that it was well below freezing overnight, the cooling system was still under pressure when I left for work this morning, and the engine does not have a cold start misfire like you'd expect.

That surely does look like a problem.  It's funny how sometimes they will let pressure out of the cylinder, but not let coolant back in.  I guess there is a pretty major pressure difference between out and in, but still- It doesn't take much antifreeze in the cylinder to put the fire out for a while in the morning.

It's really bad now.  With the coolant tank completely full to the top with no pressure, going in to any boost at all will blow so much air into the system that the hoses and tank swell up to a frightening degree, and the low coolant warning comes on because the tank will have nothing in it but air.  I have been limping along by keeping the revs over 3k to keep chamber pressures down, and increase water pump pressure.

New engine (a saucy 81mm bore number from an '09)  was ordered on the 24th, got order confirmation on the 24th, they got my money on the 24th, still waiting for shipping details.  ipd catalyst just showed up, it is not going on the car until it has an engine that won't kill a cat.

Six weeks until I have to have passed all the emissions monitors so I can reregister the car.  After that, I am driving on expired plates.

wae
wae UltraDork
1/28/20 2:53 p.m.

While it is nice to be able to drive the Miata around with the top down in January, I haven't seen my wife and kids in a week and would very much like then to release dad from the hospital so I can start the 16 hour drive home.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/28/20 5:10 p.m.

I just have to write the demand letter for the awful wreck we were in last year. That's it. Part of my job is writing, it is what I do. But going back through the wreck photos, police report, and medical records just stops me cold. Today I found you can still see burn marks on the asphalt on Google Street View and a makeshift shrine to the drunk that hit us. That brought it all roaring back, including how hot the fire was through the windshield. But I have to write it to bring the whole thing to a close. Hopefully it is cathartic, but at this point it is just like ripping a wound back open.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/20 6:10 p.m.

The Civil Justice system in this country is almost as broken as the Criminal Justice system.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/29/20 7:20 a.m.

Whichever genius engineer came up with the cross-ram secondary air injection system on the GM LEA 2.4L needs to die a slow fiery death. For those not familiar with what I'm referring to, for some reason the later Equinox 2.4Ls have 2 secondary air check valves with y-shaped manifolds, one that feeds cylinder 1 and 3 and the other feeds cylinders 2 and 4. And it's hanging off the back of the cylinder head over the exhaust manifold and is a nightmare to work on when the ports in the head inevitably plug up and throw P0411 Secondary Air Injection - Incorrect Flow.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
1/29/20 1:28 p.m.

I had an appointment to look at a car today.

They insisted on an appointment because it was at another one of their lots and wanted a commitment in order to bring it down. I'm 20 minutes from the dealer, and fortunately running a little behind. He calls me 10 minutes before the appointment, just as I'm going out the door and says, I couldn't get the car, it's in their shop getting a new windshield, and offers to let me drive something else. I explain that if I was interested in driving that car, I would have asked about that car. He doesn't get it.

I do a little research, find out the lot where the car is, call them directly and ask. Yes, it's sitting here on the lot, why do you ask?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
1/29/20 1:39 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I was so obsessed with finishing my challenge car in October that I didn't realize Jay and Silent Bob Reboot had come out.  Now it's not in theaters anymore and I have to wait until late January for the DVD release.

dculberson said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

Whaaat? Shoot now I just learned this too. 

Very minor rant related to this - Finally saw the movie now that it is out on home video.  It just wasn't anywhere near as good as Kevin Smith's earlier work.  However, if you are a fan, it's still worth watching, if for no other reason than Jay's last line in the movie.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/29/20 6:31 p.m.

Go to pay my Health insurance  for the month. It's only showing dental.  Huh?Come to find out the Obamacare dropped me because they indicate someone else is proving me heathcare. Dafuq?  Really?  Cause I'm not getting any heathcare of any kind, apparently.  Gotta call Medicare and Medicare tomorrow to see what is going on. 

The only thing I can think of is someone is confusing me for the old man. But he died last December. He doesn't need health insurance of any kind. 

Happy berkeleyin birthday , Appleseed, don't hurt yourself in the next few days. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
1/30/20 8:57 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I run in to similar issues being a Jr.

Dad doesn't like to pay his debts.

Guess who the debt collectors like to call or send demands to. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/30/20 9:30 a.m.

So I go to a new dentist yesterday for a cleaning.  New one is covered by the dental care that is supplied to me, and is close.  I have not been going to dentists regularly for my entire life, so I know that cleaning can be an issue.

At the last dentist, I went after a 10 year delay, and cleaning took a while, but in the end, they were telling me that my teeth are in good shape.

This dentist, the tech tells me the same story about gums and flossing.... yea, heard it before.  She spends a lot of time cleaning, just like before.  But as of last night, my teeth really started hurting, and they are still very sore today.  She assured me that they will take good care of me, new techniques and all....  Apparently the new techniques mean you are trying to pull the tooth out of your head.

For now, I'm going to bin this to dirty teeth, however, if the same thing happens in July for the next free cleaning- I'll find a new place.  This is miserable.

(actually, I have a new cavity- so if I feel like this after that gets filled, I'll change right away)

It's funny that I tell them I hate dentists and they try to make me feel better, and want to come in for the covered items that I'm allowed.  The way I feel today very much makes me not want to go back.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/30/20 9:34 a.m.

My wife and I both have insurance through my employer. My wife works part time at two different jobs, she does not get insurance offered to her through either one. 

My insurance has a clause that if your spouse is offered insurance through their job, but is put on mine, then you have to pay a $100/month surcharge. They charged me on the first paycheck of the month. Even though my wife does not have any insurance offered through her employer. Call and complain the next day. And they've now charged me on the second paycheck of the month. Gotta call and complain again for that one. 

This is so berkeleyed up. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/30/20 9:50 a.m.

We have been waiting for the last tax document to come in that we need to have our taxes done- the 1099-R for cashing out my Roth IRA last year to pay for the cabin- and it hasn't come in the mail. So I finally looked into it on the bank's website and found I could download it. Yay!

BUT...

They didn't include probably the most relevant item on the form: the taxable amount of the distribution, they only included the gross. Now we have to figure out how much to report as being taxable. They're the forking bank, how do they not have the records to know what was contributed and what was earned in interest???

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/20 6:54 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Job hunting is the worst.

And I'm gonna be back at it now...just got canned from my new job. I think that I basically signed my own walking papers when I told the boss that the pace of work there, which could best be described as "perpetual crunch," wasn't sustainable. He said I wasn't a good fit for the pace of work there and me staying longer would just be delaying the inevitable. Sure I probably wouldn't have stayed there in the long term, but I was hoping to make it at least 6 months.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/20 8:36 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Sorry to hear that. Hope you find a job in a better environment soon.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/20 8:47 p.m.

Tonight I have a cross between a rant and a WWGRMD.

I'm redoing the brakes on the Jeep LJ I bought for my wife, and as part of the overhaul I'm throwing refurbished calipers from a well known parts store brand on there. Not the cheapest ones they have either.

We'll gloss over the caliper that someone very likely bought and then returned without the copper washers (parts store dude indicated that this may not have been the first time...) and get to the one that I ran into tonight.

These calipers take 3/8 x 24 brake bleeders. I know that because a) I looked in up and b) because I had to buy Speed Bleeders for it. Well, "had to" is a stretch, but I usually have to do the brake bleeding by myself and they make it easy. Image my surprise when I find a bleeder with a metric head on one of the calipers that was whacked into the caliper so hard the bottom of the bleed screw is crushed (seriously, the bleed hole is oval) and it has a nice ridge on the sealing surface where it machined itself into the center hole of the bleed screw cavity. Seriously looks like someone hit the bleeder with a few too many ugga-duggas.

Needless to say, the metric bleed screw is a tad bigger than the one that's supposed to be in the caliper and a bleeder of the correct size is a bit loose, like a baby tooth that's about to fall out. So I guess I now get to go back to the parts store a second time for faulty parts, which makes it a 50% failure-ish rate. This does not make me happy because I need this Jeep out of my shop so I can do the track prep on the S2000, and I have several weeks of travel coming up between now and the first time trials event of the year, so I can't just sneak out into the garage for an hour or two every evening.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/30/20 11:01 p.m.

So, according to the state heath office, somehow I  decided to apply for Medicaid in September. Huh? I've never contacted Medicaid. Ever  I make too much money.  I'd get denied. Which I was. But that dropped me from Obamacare, because they saw it as I'm getting assistance from another source.  This is all very strange.  

Ashyukun (Robert)
1/31/20 8:09 a.m.

Got up this morning and hopped into the shower to find that the water was only lukewarm even when the hot faucet was turned all the way up. Check the hot water heater- no blinking light indicating the pilot is lit. Go to re-light it, get a blink code that it's seeing an overheat condition (which absolutely it is not), which on Googling indicates that at best the thermocouple is bad and at worst I need to replace the whole gas valve unit. And that the Dancer would have to take a lukewarm at best shower herself when she got up.

So now I get to run to the hardware store after work and hope that the thermocouple is all I need to get it working again...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/31/20 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

The gas valve on my furnace crapped out last year.  It was about a hundred bucks, readily available online, and easy to replace.

Ashyukun (Robert)
1/31/20 8:45 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

The gas valve on my furnace crapped out last year.  It was about a hundred bucks, readily available online, and easy to replace.

Yeah, unfortunately in looking things up online 1) it appears mine uses a thermopile and not a thermocouple, which none of the local hardware stores seem to have and 2) it looks like it's fairly likely it is the control valve that is the problem, and those also aren't available at either Lowe's or HD locally. Tempted to just call up one of the plumbing services and see if they have the parts to fix it- I know the Dancer's excessive fear of things bursting into flames and exploding would be more readily assuaged by a professional messing with the gas lines than me...

1 ... 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8jN4MSuQQFYFG0l5d9jG3BWWvHBSBTSoyPBsBThyx2OqxC4BB8ZwzuHAkXLqGq0V