1 ... 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 ... 1927
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/15/20 12:47 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I've had to recruit a lot of people at our church - it's always awkward but I just move on from those who don't want to help.  It's also very surprising those who are willing and not willing - sometimes the one you least expect really steps up. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/15/20 5:01 p.m.

I am tired of sweeping leaves from my garage floor.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/15/20 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

I bought a leaf blower.  I have a cord reel on the ceiling.  It's works great.  

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
2/15/20 8:01 p.m.

Datsun - this is for rants only!
Maybe I can turn yours into one - I had a corded electric leaf blower.  I would set up 100' of cord to allow me uninhibited access to anywhere on my property.   Without fail, it would snag on something after no more than 3 steps. 

i bought a cordless one and every time I use it, it makes me smile. 

hmm, that didn't end very ranty...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/15/20 9:06 p.m.

I'm beginning to suspect a problem with the Windows update. It's been at 89% since 5pm. It's now 10pm.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
2/16/20 6:35 p.m.

Square body GMC Sonoma hit the junkyard on Wednesday.  I want a grill from one for my S10 project.  Went out there today, and someone had already broken it in the process of pulling a turn signal lens off it.  There was already a Jimmy in the yard with a busted grill that had a perfectly good turn signal lens.  The radio surround was also shattered on the ground next to it.  There’s not a lot of these left in the rust belt, people, be more careful.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/16/20 7:52 p.m.

Due to the ridiculously high insurance rates in Florida, it makes sense to sell my Kia. I hardly ever drive it anymore after buying my truck even though it gets twice the fuel economy. 

I have been dragging my feet listing it for sale because I don't want to deal with the berkeleying idiots that come with the price range that I'm thinking of selling it for.

Anybody want a 2010 Kia Forte Koup EX? It's a 5spd/2L with 147k miles. It comes with some suspension parts (NIB Eibach springs, all new strut parts but no struts). It runs and drives great with cold A/C.

Bobzilla?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/17/20 7:20 a.m.

I've been considering reviving my N-scale layout, so I had a free day yesterday and decided to go to a hobby store and maybe impulse-buy some rolling stock. First, I discover that a lot of hobby shops that have model railroad stuff aren't open on weekends. Really?! I find one in Syracuse that crows about how long they've been in business and their inventory of stuff. Drive an hour out there, go in and head back to the model railroad section and there is nothing. Not a single car or locomotive in stock, just a few little scenery bits. Ask the guy working there what the deal is and he says "We don't stock anything. But we can order anything out of the catalogs for you." Whoohoo, I can order anything out of a catalog for myself too, its called Amazon.  And then I could have it shipped to my house and not have to drive out here an hour one way to pick it up. I ended up going over to their Gunpla section and grumpily buying an ARX-014S Silver Bullet Suppressor instead.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/17/20 8:06 a.m.

Minor win:  I'm in a band again for the first time in a long time- this is a very good thing.

Minor rant:  Just because I'm in a band with you does not mean that we're best friends or that I owe you my time outside of practice, shows, and recording.  I'm here to play music, not fix your cars or work on your house.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/17/20 8:16 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I definitely feel you there... being the husband of the founder/director, I get tapped to do pretty much whatever needs to be done for The Dancer's non-profit that there isn't already somebody who can do it or that she herself is too overwhelmed to do. For some of the thing- all of the A/V productions work, building and moving props (not a fan of storing them though- the garage is for cars!), graphic design, and other things that I can actually DO I'm quite happy to do. But despite approaching 10 years of us having known each other and a month and a half away from being married for 6 years she still just can't totally comprehend that asking me to call people up and ask for things or walk into businesses and do so (to get things for our silent auctions) is probably one of the most anxiety-inducing things that I can possibly have to do. And no- I'm not 'getting used to it', I'm just getting better at masking my anxiety at doing it...

Basically, outside of a fairly limited pool of people (which I suppose ironically includes pretty much everyone from here that I've met...), I would far rather be spending my time swearing at a rusted bolt on a car than making small talk with people (or worse, having to ask them for something...).

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/20 8:24 a.m.

I hate mystery wiring, and the current abode and shop has plenty of it. For starters, the bedroom I use as an office has a network wiring socket in the wall, with a a PoE injector. There's also a network connection in the basement, but they're not connected. Turns out the mystery socket is connected to a cut-off cable that I thought was for a dish (even though it's facing North) that's been hanging around the outside of the house. I guess someone had microwave Internet at some point as the house only got cable Internet a couple of years ago.

The network cable in the basement has clearly been installed as an afterthought, but can I find the dang other end of it?

Given that we also have two wall-mounted smoke detectors that have no mains power and are running off their batteries only, I think it's time to get out an electrician. Hopefully someone who is also willing to run a set of network cables - I have all the tools to terminate them but not necessarily tools and skill to run them myself. Given the comedy of rip-offs that ensued when I tried to find a plumber, this is going to be Fun. Not.

RevRico
2/17/20 10:40 a.m.

Ah Comvajajay, how do I hate thee. We dropped cable last summer, in June according to my old bills. My current bill for just landline and internet is now MORE than when I had a full HD cable package. Must be berkeleying awesome to have a monopoly backed by the government. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/17/20 10:49 a.m.
RevRico said:

Ah Comvajajay, how do I hate thee. We dropped cable last summer, in June according to my old bills. My current bill for just landline and internet is now MORE than when I had a full HD cable package. Must be berkeleying awesome to have a monopoly backed by the government. 

At a certain point, it has to be cheaper to run everything off of cell phones and hot spots. I know it is now at that point for my aunt and uncles family - they could pay $250 a month for DIAL UP, or I forget how much but less than that when you consider they had cell phones anyway just to run everything off of hotspots and their cell phones. Serious problem in rural America. Hell, I live less than 8 miles from the busiest airport in the world and I only have 2 internet options - one of which is dial up. 

BoxheadTim
2/17/20 10:51 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

We get TV and Internet from them, too. Seems to be $220 no matter what you choose or remove. Not to mention that they lock you in a contract, too.

It's amazing how broken the US Internet market is these days.

BoxheadTim
2/17/20 10:53 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

T-Mobile offers (IIRC Unlimited) home Internet access for $50/month. From memory it's up to 50MBit. I'm definitely in rural America although not as rural as others, and I'm tempted to use that at least for a backup connection.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/17/20 10:55 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

I hate mystery wiring, and the current abode and shop has plenty of it. For starters, the bedroom I use as an office has a network wiring socket in the wall, with a a PoE injector. There's also a network connection in the basement, but they're not connected. Turns out the mystery socket is connected to a cut-off cable that I thought was for a dish (even though it's facing North) that's been hanging around the outside of the house. I guess someone had microwave Internet at some point as the house only got cable Internet a couple of years ago.

The network cable in the basement has clearly been installed as an afterthought, but can I find the dang other end of it?

Given that we also have two wall-mounted smoke detectors that have no mains power and are running off their batteries only, I think it's time to get out an electrician. Hopefully someone who is also willing to run a set of network cables - I have all the tools to terminate them but not necessarily tools and skill to run them myself. Given the comedy of rip-offs that ensued when I tried to find a plumber, this is going to be Fun. Not.

At some point in my houses life, every single room had a hookup to the antenna on the chimney. 3 bedrooms upstairs, 1 bedroom downstairs, the dining room (which at one point was a living room, I think), the living room (2 in there!), the family room, and 2 rooms in the basement. 10 cords. In the basement, they're all running like spiderwebs everywhere. Today, a single one of them is hooked up to the cable. That means that there are 9 dead cords, 1 live one to cable, and good luck figuring out how to get them hooked up correctly for the best wifi placement. 

RevRico
2/17/20 10:59 a.m.

Bridging 2 Fi phones in a single hot spot is something I've considered, but from my experience, gaming over Wi-Fi sucks. 

The kicker is if we move *really*rural, which I'm kind of hoping to do, there is proper fiber optic service available. They've been a mile from my current house for 2 years now trying to get permission to use comvajajays poles, cause I guess they managed to buy the utility pole or have some kind of block against other companies using them. Just lawsuit after lawsuit because comcrap knows they'll lose major business when Citizens Fiber can deliver cheaper higher speed internet to their customers. 

I guess there's Verizon DSL available, it can't handle YouTube though, let alone any sort of actual internet work or usage. They are also being sued by the state for abandoning the "rural outreach" thing from the last POTUS. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/17/20 11:06 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

In reply to mtn :

T-Mobile offers (IIRC Unlimited) home Internet access for $50/month. From memory it's up to 50MBit. I'm definitely in rural America although not as rural as others, and I'm tempted to use that at least for a backup connection.

Doesn't look like it is available to me, at least not yet.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/17/20 11:12 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

We're in a similar but different boat where I live, the local ISP has an effective monopoly on our area. We can't get Comcast, Verizon, or any other service because they won't encroach on the local's territory. And our bill when we had cable was so high it made me want to puke. We cut down to just internet for now and it's manageable, but there's still the occasional outages to deal with...you know your ISP sucks when Comcrap is better.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/17/20 11:12 a.m.

Went to check out the T-mobile deals, as my wife and I both need new cell phones. Hey those look like good deals! New iphones with a trade in! Awesome. Nope. They require 6S or better. 

Would still be cheaper to buy a used 6S to get the trade in deal though.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/20 11:24 a.m.

I live in a very rural area. Our choices for internet are hotspots, satellite and dial up. 

Dial up sucks, satellite sucks slightly less.....hotspots are the way to go.

Ashyukun (Robert)
2/17/20 11:59 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

We've got a similar situation here... the internet out at our cabin that is literally on the side of hill in the middle of the woods has faster fiber internet than our house in the suburbs of one of the largest cities in the state and the 60th largest city in the country...

Ashyukun (Robert)
2/17/20 12:15 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Ouch... ours is like $800/6 months with the Infinity and the (brand new...) Colorado... surprisingly the Colorado is only $100 more than the Infiniti (and probably mostly because of the deductible requirements on the loan).

Every time in the past I've gotten competitive quotes on insurance from other companies they've been solidly higher than USAA's... will be interesting to see what the State Farm office here in town that's doing a fundraiser for Allegro comes back with when I call them about it.

Speaking of which- if you want another quote, you can call up said State Farm office at 859-800-5433 for a quote until the end of the month and Allegro will get $10 regardless of whether you actually get a policy through them.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/20 4:12 p.m.

Privet. I hate it.

There is a snarl of it on the back edge of my property that I'm slowly getting rid of. It's like trying to fight the ocean.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
2/17/20 5:06 p.m.

Eff the flu.  Went to in laws, "I swear it's just an asthma issue" one day later I'm sick.  My wife is falling too as is my 19 month old with asthma.  I just checked and my temp hit 105. Kiddo's at 101 and sees doc tomorrow.

Now I'm worried trying to figure out if I need to go to the er (I did go to urgent care and have tamiflu, cough syrup, and an antibiotic for ear fluid)

My in laws are the usual panic button, they are sick too.  

1 ... 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s3KPjO9VUKCZNPovV3mnrndIVmZ9nT67iwj7GDl49vg2HCr5t3KRa5QsAXMkt45e