1 ... 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 ... 1926
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/20 7:59 p.m.

You can hope the next time he punches drywall,  there's a stud behind it. That changes you're attitude about the viability of punching walls. Ask me how I know. 

His name isn't Kyle is it?

Does he drink Monster Energy Drink?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/23/20 8:11 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
slowbird said:

berkeleyin wheel is stuck to the berkeleyin hub

Install the lugs about 1/2-turn loose, then go drive in circles with that wheel on the outside of the circle.

This works! What also works if they're realllly stuck is to loosen the lugs a few whole turns then pick the car up with a hydraulic jack and set the car down fast with the wheel partly over a wooden block. You can also try driving over stuff with the lugs loose. Don't remove the lugs all the way or when the wheel lets go you'll have a mess on your hands.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/23/20 8:39 p.m.

Sometimes living in the rust belt sucks. Need to find a bigger winter beater and my aversion too financing anything and a dislike of anything built after 95 isn't going well. It's either way more then I want to spend, rotted apart or standard cab. Shame kids keep growing or I'd keep the ranger forever 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/20 9:08 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

"I will never own anything newer than 1972 because big bumpers suck" - Me, 1993, at 15 years of age

I have owned exactly one pre-73 car out of many.

The current hill for me to die on is actual, honest-to-"Bob" gauges with needles and stuff, and HVAC and radio controls that have dedicated buttons and knobs.  None of this el-cheapo touchscreen E36 M3.

I still use a slider phone that has actual buttons.  Tactile feel is important, touchscreens suck.  Plus there is a level of satisfaction when you finish firing off a text and slap the phone closed, kind of like phones that had physical bells in them for ringers, so when you slammed the handset down the base would ring out.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/20 4:43 a.m.

A couple days ago:  "Hey I have a K26 turbo that something went through the compressor side, I heard you need a K26 exhaust want it?"  Me "Yes but I'll get back to you on when I can pick it up"

Yesterday:  "i can get that stuff next weekend."  "Oh I threw it out already"

Argh.

Used/not working K26s are in the $200-300 range on eBay, per recent perusal.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/24/20 6:31 a.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to dropstep :

"I will never own anything newer than 1972 because big bumpers suck" - Me, 1993, at 15 years of age

I have owned exactly one pre-73 car out of many.

The current hill for me to die on is actual, honest-to-"Bob" gauges with needles and stuff, and HVAC and radio controls that have dedicated buttons and knobs.  None of this el-cheapo touchscreen E36 M3.

I still use a slider phone that has actual buttons.  Tactile feel is important, touchscreens suck.  Plus there is a level of satisfaction when you finish firing off a text and slap the phone closed, kind of like phones that had physical bells in them for ringers, so when you slammed the handset down the base would ring out.

I was never going to own anything fuel injected and now I've owned as new as a 99. I wasn't a fan but for practical reasons I've added rounded body ford trucks too my cheap truck shopping list. Mostly 4.2 v6 trucks 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/20 9:37 a.m.

I know I sound like a broken record when I talk about people driving to and from work.. but last night takes the cake. The White Horse Pike here in NJ deserves it's reputation as one of the most dangerous roads in NJ. Heading home, I am doing roughly 60mph (on a 50MPH road) to keep up with traffic in the slow lane. In the middle fast lane vehicles are doing 70mph+. Traffic is heavy and it's dark. On my right a white charger passes me on the shoulder at what seemed like warp speed, cut in front of my far too closely and then proceeds to cut in and out of traffic and pissing off a lot of people to judge by the brake lights. 10 Seconds later I passed a man in dark clothing walking on that same shoulder. (this is not a restricted roadway). 10 seconds. The driver of the Charger and this innocent man almost had a very life changing moment because one idiot couldn't control his testosterone. 

I wonder if either ever knew how close they came to meeting?

One of these days I am going to take a video of the road just so everyone can see the sheer number of scuff marks on the centre divider.  I am all for going fast and turning quickly, but not in traffic. I really wish Atlantic City would patrol that damn road once in a while

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/24/20 10:45 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

I spent Saturday in south / central New Jersey between Pitman and Cherry Hill.  I don't know how y'all stand it.  The Pitman area wasn't so bad, but as soon as I got near Haddonfield and especially Cherry Hill both traffic and the road design were a nightmare.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/24/20 2:32 p.m.

Mrs Recon's parents are still on a major "Your hearing will get better if you don't sign as much"/"Maybe you should get cochlear Implants"/ "We don't have time to learn ASL" kick... 

I am having a hard time describing just how angry this makes me, and the stress it's causing my wife is unbelievable. I've never seen her feel so isolated in her life.

I'm quite literally at my wit's end. Other than telling them to outright berkeley off, I don't see a whole lot of options until we can move...

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/24/20 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Think about it this way. If you're on your deathbed and you think back to this problem, what's your take on it then? If you wife is up for it, tell them to zark off.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
2/24/20 2:58 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

How does one's hearing get better by not using sign language?

That's not how it works, last I checked...

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
2/24/20 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Do either of her parents wear glasses? If so tell them to get rid of them and their eyesight will get better!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/24/20 4:34 p.m.

I bring up this question with a bit of trepidation, because I really don't know the answers, but...  I have been aware for a while that there seems to be a real hard wall between cochlear implant people, and berkeley you no cochlear implant people.  I have heard vicious words from a father of a daughter with implants describing the abuse he got from the not cochlear implants people.

Whats the deal?

And, if her parents won't learn sign language, they are stupid, wothless asswipes.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/24/20 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

A great deal of the issue is that Deaf people who are primarily ASL speakers do not consider themselves "broken" or "disabled". The Deaf have a culture and a language all their own, and lack nothing in terms of ability; they simply communicate differently than everyone else.
C.I.s are seen by many Deaf as fixing something that's not really broken in order to "fit in" to a different culture. Many are particularly incensed when a young child is given cochlear implants and expected to thrive in the hearing world, with no thought at all to allowing them to make that choice later in life; and without teaching them their native language (ASL), which they will likely need anyways. Cochlear Implants are neat, but they are a poor substitute for biological hearing. There have been multiple studies showing that deaf children do far better in life if they learn ASL (spoken) and English (written) as their primary languages...

(As written above, [D] Deaf refers to members of the Deaf community who identify with the ASL speaking  Deaf culture. [d] deaf refers to the medical condition of not hearing.)

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Reader
2/24/20 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Recon, you don't know me and I am going to make some assumptions here, so disregard if I am off the mark or if words from me aren't what you are looking for.

Assumptions are:

1. Your in-laws are not shiny happy people in all things and this is not the last straw. It is a really big straw you wish you did not have to deal with.

2. You do not actually want to sever the relationship and tell them to berk off, which is part of the anguish you appear to feel.

3. Your in-laws are the type of parents who find difficulty in learning new information from their own children. The idea that their child knows something that they do not does not compute.

This last one comes from, "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

4. Your in-laws are operating out of ignorance and fear, mostly fear.

Parts of the ignorance may be easier to deal with. Have you been able to get them to attend a doctor's visit with you and your wife to discuss options and risks? They may immediately accept the doctor's words, even if they do not accept them from you or your wife. If they have done this already, great; make them do it again. They may be old and stubborn and it may take more than once. ;-)

Their fear could be just for their daughter or just for themselves, but my guess is both and mostly for themselves.

Fear for their daughter: If she "leaves regular society to be with those deaf people, can she ever be accepted and be happy?" Ignorance and Fear, not logic.

Fear for your daughter: Isn't sign language a substandard language that will never allow her to fully express herself? Back before the dominance of ASL, and in trying to "mainstream" the deaf as much as possible, we had horrid things like See Exact Sign, fingerspelling English word for word. Can you do that with arthritis? The truth that ASL is a beautiful, figurative, language more capable of metaphor and emotion than English is irrelevant in the face of Ignorance and Fear.

Here is my guess at the big one, Fear for themselves: Will they never be able to learn ASL well enough to communicate with their own daughter? Is she lost to them as soon as she walks down that path? Ignorance and Fear.

The tricky part is that if No. 3 is true, neither you nor your wife will be trustworthy enough to their psyche to be able to push aside their fear and address their ignorance.

Is there an active deaf community near you? If not, you have to move, but there still may be things you want to do before you go. If there is, are there classes or training appropriate to their age where the can start to learn ASL? Something with an age group similar enough to them to lessen the fear of being inadequate while they address their own ignorance. 

Can the teacher of that class take them on a field trip to some local deaf community event so they can see the community of happy, whole people, who just happen to not be able to hear?

If you can do all of that and they still can't come around, then berk 'em; protect your wife.

Matthew

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/20 5:55 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Don't waste energy on those unwilling to put energy into you.

And never be afraid to tell family to go berkeley themselves. Just because you share blood doesn't mean they are family anyway

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/24/20 5:56 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Well, I think you pretty much nailed it. 
We have had several discussions with them, and my wife has been Deaf/HoH since age four. She was mainstreamed, given hearing aids, and told to cope. I do not think it is malice on the part of her parents, nor are they completely ignorant. She speaks quite well due to being mainstreamed, and so the assumption is that she really isn't deaf. Now that she's discovered the Deaf world, it's almost as if Mom and Dad believe that "Hearing isn't good enough"...

In regards to #3 on your list, my wife brought up another point- If her parents were to accept her Deafness, that would mean admitting they made the wrong choice in mainstreaming her.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Reader
2/24/20 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

It is sad to say that they are right, hearing is not good enough.  The mainstream world has good things in it, so does the deaf world. I am sorry to hear that they just don't understand that you want to give her the moon, too.

Matthew

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/24/20 9:57 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Regardless of the outcome, I thank you. Your post provided some much-needed perspective on the situation. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Reader
2/25/20 7:00 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to matthewmcl 

In regards to #3 on your list, my wife brought up another point- If her parents were to accept her Deafness, that would mean admitting they made the wrong choice in mainstreaming her.

This is a really good observation. That is a lot of years of worrying crammed in to a life, which is to be pitied. That is also believing that their own feeling of security is more important than their childs healthy life, which is not.

On one hand, something as simple as, "that is what I needed, then, thank you for that, but this is what I need now, will you help me get it?," may crack that nut. On the other hand, maybe nothing ever will.

Ignorance may make us stubborn, but fear makes us downright selfish. I hope you have the opportunity to do more than just feel sorry for them and their brokeness.

Based on the reactions on this board, it is obvious to everyone here that you are putting your wife first. As long as she knows it too, everything else will work out well enough.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Reader
2/25/20 7:04 a.m.

It occurs to me that I have a bunch of posts here, but no rant yet. Obligatory very minor rant.

I went to Advance Auto to grab a part. Strewn across a side street was a set of 3/8" sockets. I picked them up and popped them into their holder. Up through 17mm or so, but you guessed it, the 10mm was missing.

Matthew

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/25/20 8:17 a.m.

On the subject of cochlear implants vs ASL:  to quote the little Taco Bell girl, why not both?

This is not like circumcision vs natural (speaking of militant radicals).  You can have implants and still learn ASL to give yourself the best options from both worlds.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
2/25/20 8:47 a.m.

I try to estimate how long work is going to take on a car, then triple it.  The ratty Miata has blown that method completely apart.  I suspect I’m at about ten times or more length I thought it would take to replace the valve stem seals, coolant hoses, clean the HLAs, and do a timing belt/water pump service.  Life getting in the way hasn’t helped, either.

I need to finish it, so I can get the Beetle back in the garage and ready for rallycross season.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/25/20 9:53 a.m.
Duke said:

On the subject of cochlear implants vs ASL:  to quote the little Taco Bell girl, why not both?

This is not like circumcision vs natural (speaking of militant radicals).  You can have implants and still learn ASL to give yourself the best options from both worlds.

Most folks I know with cochlear implants do in fact sign. It's a big stink in the Deaf world right now, and there are a lot of reasons behind it...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/25/20 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

That seems... odd.  I sort of understand the sentiment, I guess, but to me it's just a matter of adding another tool to my sensory box rather than an invalidation of my Deaf existence.  But of course I'm not deaf.

1 ... 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zqplouYuy5hMBHclyRz0psXddWyz2k18YVAm6abEpGcyTM1GpLNOU55t9sRCxEQS