1 ... 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 ... 1926
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/20 10:32 a.m.

java230
java230 UberDork
3/28/20 11:45 a.m.

Ranting against myself. I'm an idiot and dumped a beer into my laptop. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/20 1:49 p.m.

Just got summoned for Jury Duty. Boy are they going to regret that. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/20 2:16 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Have coughing fits during jury selection?

devil

RevRico
3/28/20 2:29 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I just need to read up on jury nullification. There's a hell of a lot of laws I find completely unjust. But I'm willing to do my civic duty since someone actually lucked into a jury trial instead of taking a plea deal. 

Who knows, the way our governor keeps changing things, the courthouse might still be closed come may date in May. I really hope not, but, his dumbass closed the liquor stores before locking everyone in their houses for a month, so who knows what he might do next. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/28/20 2:46 p.m.

I got into a battle with an old can of spray paint and lost.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/20 3:28 p.m.

Annndddd now I'm getting laid off. It won't happen until July and I'll get severance at least. This is the first time I've ever been let go.

October 2018 was the second round of layoffs at our company due to trying to improve efficiency, etc. They said at the time, there would be no more layoffs.  Friday we get an email, due to the current situation, we are going to be reducing staff. They could have left it at that and it would have been accepted and understood.  However, they had to add the sentence (paraphrased) "THIS WAS IN THE WORKS BEFORE THE CURRENT SITUATION".  That just pissed me off. 

Last night my boss sent an email out saying he saw the email the same time we did. He sent a follow up saying our group wasn't losing anyone after he talked to his bosses.  Then I get the call today.  I am on the R&D side. The company is focusing only on keeping current business. I am laid off on Monday but with a 3 month contract extension.  If we don't get new business by then, I'm SOL. 

So right now, my wife is furloughed, but her boss wants to bring her back as soon as allowed (fortunately), and I don't' know what I'm going to do next. I'm in automotive and doubt anyone will be hiring in that field in the foreseeable future. I did want to get out of automotive just due to the unstable nature of it lately. I just need to figure out where my skill set will work and something I'll enjoy.

berkeley berkeley berkeley berkeley berkeley!  I am so berkeleying angry right now.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/28/20 4:32 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Soak it in a tub of Castrol Super Clean

In a few weeks the paint will fall right off.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/20 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Pfft. Need it now?

This stuff is the E36 M3. I can remove dicast paint in about 3 minutes with this.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/28/20 4:49 p.m.

Yeah, I had some stuff to get the paint off but I used it all up, gotta get more. I'm just mad because I don't know if I can salvage the paint in the can and it'll go to waste. That's like, 4 whole bucks down the drain! (4 bucks from 10 years ago or whenever the hell I bought this can, I have no clue honestly)

At least I have some other green paint that I think will be a decent alternative.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ New Reader
3/28/20 5:51 p.m.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/28/20 7:50 p.m.

To PMRacing:

Network, network, network.

You have a skill set.   It can be adapted to many efforts.  Get the word out to anybody who will listen.  Doesn't hurt to start here listing your talents and how you can help a business be successful.

wae
wae UltraDork
3/28/20 8:23 p.m.
Stefan said:

I miss having close friends that I can hang with.  This social distancing thing has made that abundantly clear and quite painfully so.

I'm berkeleying lonely and quite depressed.

Those of you who have close friends to hang with, enjoy it.  It may not last forever.

I never realized how important it was to have game night at Tim's, philosophy and whiksy with V, Bourbon and librarianism with Ken, talking about dirt and cars with the OVR and WOR rallyX people, having lunch with the guys from work, seeing my Hitachi rep and being able to talk face to face, hanging out with my Bingo crew on Thursday nights, seeing the usual people at Mass on Saturdays, hell, I don't think I've ever gone this long without seeing my parents and at least one of my siblings.  I want to shake hands, I want to hug, I just want to be around the people in my life.  I've never really had a lot of real close friends, but man I miss seeing the ones that I do have!  The first week was okay, but now that the second week is wrapping up I can also feel the depression settling in on me.  Wish I had something more encouraging to say other than "me too".

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
3/28/20 9:11 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Maybe we should have a social distancing shop day at the garage.  Everyone works on a different corner of the car smiley

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
3/30/20 7:43 a.m.

Today they furloughed 10 of the 13 techs. Yep, I was one of them.

RevRico
3/30/20 8:45 a.m.

So let me get this straight. They shut down your office so you've been working from home. Your office is a time zone behind me. So when you called me at 4.50pm Friday, you still had another hour on the clock. WHY THE berkeley HAVEN'T YOU REPLIED TO A DAMN EMAIL? It's now 10am MY TIME, so 9am YOUR time on Monday. YOU are demanding information from me but I need information YOU haven't given ME to get it. 

berkeley I hate banks. 

Escrow billing address. How hard is that? Why isn't it in the books of useless information you've sent me? Even with a weekend "off" you couldn't copy and paste it to me? 

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
3/30/20 10:15 a.m.

I really don't feel well.  Had a sore throat for at least a week and a light cough for a few days.  General congestion head throuh chest.  Usually this wouldn't get my attention, but in the current state of affairs I am am contemplating my mortality.  I wonder how many people are considering drastic (hopefully) mid-life changes if they survive the spring of 2020.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/30/20 10:16 a.m.

My rtv solidified. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/30/20 10:57 a.m.

Over the last week I finally got the garage cleaned up and moderately organized enough to put the Infiniti in yesterday and jack it up to do all the work it needs. Go to grab my battery-powered impact... and can't find it. Anywhere. Search the garage several times over, as well as the house and the back of the Infiniti (which is what I'd taken to the junkyards last Monday). Can't find it anywhere. Best I can figure, it got left behind at the junkyard after pulling the seat because I was wrangling with fitting the seat onto the wheel barrel. Oddly, I apparently was on top of things enough to have pulled the extension and socked off of it because I'm not missing any of those. So, instead of getting the front end pulled off of the Infinti yesterday afternoon, I burned out to the junkyard in the E46 (the only part of this that didn't suck- a largely open road with essentially no cops in a 330Ci with the top down...) to see if I could find it. Which of course I didn't. To add insult to injury, the Dancer had the brilliant idea (no sarcasm, it was a good idea) to make the best of my being where I was and pick up food from a restaurant there that we no longer have nearby. And of course, said restaurant is only doing take-out M-F (really, really stupid IMO... why the berk would a restaurant NOT be open on the weekends for take-out when that's when they usually do the most business when open normally?).

Only slight silver lining in this is that Lowe's has the newer version of the impact that combines both a 1/2" socket and 1/4" hex impact and includes a battery (and charger- I think I have enough chargers now to charge all 4 batteries at once ) on sale for 40% off now, so I can replace the lost tool for less than half what the original one cost and the new one is more versatile than the old.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/30/20 12:21 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Oh Lord, I hate losing tools so, so much. I think I physically shuddered when you said "it got left behind at the junkyard." I hope you get it replaced and it doesn't cause you too much stress.

My rant: I spent way too long packing up an enormous flat panel monitor for shipping (70" touchscreen) and wish I'd just not listed it or else only listed it for sale locally. I have serious doubts about the freight company's ability to keep from damaging it. We'll see, but I am pessimistic at best about it. I also wasted 1/2 hour - 1 hour looking for the mount that I'd promised the guy, when it was literally right next to the TV, leaned up against my air compressor. See the first paragraph - losing / misplacing things really, really bothers me.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
3/30/20 12:24 p.m.

I've been sitting in a dining chair to work from home for the last 2 weeks. I don't think I'll survive another week of it, and I hate most of the options available on Amazon. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/30/20 12:53 p.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

Improve efficiency?   Fire everyone and the last guy out turns off the lights.  Most efficient place ever - overhead at a minimum.  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/20 12:59 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to PMRacing :

Improve efficiency?   Fire everyone and the last guy out turns off the lights.  Most efficient place ever - overhead at a minimum.  

Ashyukun (Robert)
3/30/20 1:42 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

I switched to using a wooden chair we had sitting around after a few days of using my 'ergonomic' office chair at home, and sadly the solid wood chair is exponentially more comfortable over the course of the day than the 'office' chair. I've seriously considered hauling my chair from work back home for the duration of my WFH time since it's a lot nicer than either.

Ashyukun (Robert)
3/30/20 1:47 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I'll be heading out to Lowes later this afternoon to pick up the replacement. I was a lot more stressed until I realized I could replace it for less than half what I expected it would cost. Frankly the most stress is from my frustration with myself for my memory costing me money yet again- I've had to replace at last a full impact socket set before because of forgetting about it after pulling a part as well. My horrible memory is a constant frustration for the Dancer and one of the few things that we get into arguments about... she just doesn't understand why I can't 'just stop forgetting things,' as if it were a conscious decision and not things just slipping completely out of my memory. It's likely at least in part tied to my almost certain ADD, but there's not been much I can figure out to counter it. I use my phone/watch's reminders to keep me from forgetting things that I need to do whenever I can, but that doesn't help with a lot of things.

1 ... 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WQnBXhwJZiHtQDX3dRDeUn8jca5XKWYBIYwlEtsQmdwY1UHY1b3tOsqnx3qT4g5l