In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Draper

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/1/20 4:09 p.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Draper

SLC Tearapart has a 2001 Rav4, Ogden Pick a part has 2002 and 2006.  Ogden Tearapart has a 96 that just showed up Thursday.  I am 1 hr and 15 min north of Draper, but headed to a wedding at 6:00.  Do you need tools to borrow?

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/1/20 6:35 p.m.

Welp that's the last time I go to that BBQ joint. Just because it is the oldest in the area doesn't mean it is the best anymore. I choked it down because it wasn't cheap. but we aren't going back. They are just running on their name at this point, the food is just...plain. The new chain BBQ place down the road is better, which makes me sad.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/20 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed And Duke:

Thanks, I am kind of used to the feeling and it's not even like I feel very bad but more like letting the air out of a balloon. I had the first ok week I've had in months, accomplished some things, and someone was happy that I seemed to be doing better and pointed it out. I'm not good at having feelings especially at work and I don't know that I like it.

It's too bad your wedding plans were all screwed up, hopefully when this is over you get to have the celebration you both deserve. 

Edit: The wedding comment was just towards Apple, unless there's something more going on, not that there's anything wrong with it. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/2/20 2:21 a.m.

I'm sure I've posted this before, but why do I keep buying cars that need hard-to-find parts? angry

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/20 9:14 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Let me know if you find out and if there's a cure for it.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/20 9:16 a.m.

WTF  is it with dealers asking more than MSRP for a used Civic Type R? And no, I don't mean book value, I mean MSRP for a new one[1].

[1] Yeah, I know, they also want "customer gouging adjustment", sorry, "market value adjustment" for new ones. There are some out ther that advertise them for MSRP by now, though.

In reply to slowbird :

Because common is boring.

Different is good.

There is no cure.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/20 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

Different is different.

Anything over ten years old has hard to find parts.  Even Miatas, the commonest of the common, have a lot of impossible to find parts.  I have two customers with NAs that the air conditioning systems are basically held together with chewing gum and bailing wire because new hardlines are not available and good luck finding them used.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/2/20 9:46 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

Different is different.

Anything over ten years old has hard to find parts.  Even Miatas, the commonest of the common, have a lot of impossible to find parts.  I have two customers with NAs that the air conditioning systems are basically held together with chewing gum and bailing wire because new hardlines are not available and good luck finding them used.

It's the little bits that get hard to find.  Brakes?  Steering?  Suspension?  No problem. 

There has not been a wiper switch available for a Festiva since they were eight years old. Problem.

Well, not really a problem anymore, because all the Festivals are in the dump because the wipers all quit a decade or two ago.

Have you phoned Ford for a part for any of their captive imports?  "Probe?  We know nothing of this Probe you speak of."

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/2/20 10:05 a.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

WTF  is it with dealers asking more than MSRP for a used Civic Type R?

A Hyundai dealer quoted me sticker for a new Veloster N.   My neighbor said his buddy went to buy a new car and they quoted sticker.

Maybe the shortage of cars is starting to surface?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/2/20 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

After 10 years, Ford doesn't give a E36 M3 about your old car, or how their lack of any kind of support might sully their good name. Buy a new Ford (that we won't support in a few years.)

With the advent of enthusiast owned 3D printers, I wonder how soon people will support their respective communities with those hard to find parts? 

wae
wae UltraDork
8/2/20 10:13 a.m.
Appleseed said:

After 10 years, Ford doesn't give a E36 M3 about your old car, or how their lack of any kind of support might sully their good name. Buy a new Ford (that we won't support in a few years.)

With the advent of enthusiast owned 3D printers, I wonder how soon people will support their respective communities with those hard to find parts? 

The window guides for 1gn Neons have been unavailable for a decade now but there are a couple people 3D printing those.  The biggest problem is probably the types of filament that are available.  I don't think the stuff that I've got spools of would last long in an underhood environment.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/2/20 10:38 a.m.

In reply to wae :

PLA? No. ABS? Yes. 

But abs is tricky to print, and more expensive than PLA. 

I went looking for a better ABS printer last night and um challenge budget is a little much. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/20 11:07 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Most automakers don't stock parts for cars that old.  Once they no longer need to stock parts to meet warranty obligations, it's not their problem.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/20 11:09 a.m.

why is it so hard to find shoes that fit my feet?  I realize I am an outlier with size ten feet but "super slim" with a width of only 3.75".  Nobody seems to make shoes that size.  For years I got away with wearing unisex looking women's shoes, but even narrow boots in the size I need are getting very hard to find.  So my choices are to wear thick socks, ruin my feet by letting them "slosh around" side to side, or pay a fortune for proper footwear.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/2/20 11:32 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Appleseed said:

Most automakers don't stock parts for cars that old.  Once they no longer need to stock parts to meet warranty obligations, it's not their problem.

That's why we drive Volvos.  If you advertise your cars as lasting 20 years, you better have parts.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/2/20 11:37 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

So you're the person Chuck Taylors are designed to fit. 

Well, at least you have the option of putting narrow feet in wide shoes, because they fit, even if not well.  

Try being an 11 EEE width and finding shoes you can physically put your feet into. Even going multiple sizes larger barely makes them any wider. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/2/20 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Since both The Dancer and I had been married before, neither of us really cared about having a big wedding and got married at the courthouse. About a month later we threw a big 'reception' party to celebrate and invited friends and family to that and it worked out extremely well. Far less pomp and ceremony and just time to relax and celebrate with everyone. Everyone's suggestions about having a bit 1st anniversary celebration is good- and celebrating staying married for a year is a more worthy accomplishment IMO than simply being able to get married in the first place. :P

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/20 4:05 p.m.

Every berking car is berked.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/2/20 5:08 p.m.

OMBG. There is a reason I throw those letters in the bin as soon as I read them. 

You're going to spend all Sunday afternoon documenting every time we bought contact lenses back to 2005 so you can prove we're part of this class action. 

And then 6 months from now you're going to get a check for $4.39 for our part of the 'damages'.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/3/20 7:46 a.m.

The guy I sold my old FM/VMAXX Classic coilovers to 5 months ago has been kind of a pain in the ass since then. Seems like once a month I get a message from him "Ever since I put these on I have a clunk in the front suspension? What's wrong with my car?" "These are adjusted up all the way but I'd like the front end to sit a little higher. What can I do?" Now it's "Can you find the original purchase invoice, because I think one is blown and FM will rebuild them for free for the original owner and I'd like to pull them off and have you send them into rebuild them." Dude, I bought those 5 or 6 years ago, I most certainly do not have the original invoice. If you're going to pull them off the car, and you are this dissatisfied or picky or whatever, then just give them back to me and I will sell them to some schmuck on Facebook marketplace. I'd like to blow the guy off, but he's friends with guys that I race with and I run into him occasionally, which would be awkward.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/3/20 9:46 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Wife sold her used iPhone some years ago. Verizon phone, great condition, desirable color, big memory, $200. 
she meets up with the buyer and exchange money for goods. The buyer calls her about an hour later and "this phone won't work on t mobile, they want $50 to unlock it so I can use it. Can I have $50 back?"

I don't know what some folks have going through their heads. Takes serious stones or serious social deficiencies. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/20 12:20 p.m.

Oh good. Mice in the kitchen. 

My only guess to entry point is the garage doors that don't close the whole way. All the soffit is good, no visible holes around the concrete and block perimeter, doors and windows are always shut. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/20 12:41 p.m.
RevRico said:

Oh good. Mice in the kitchen. 

My only guess to entry point is the garage doors that don't close the whole way. All the soffit is good, no visible holes around the concrete and block perimeter, doors and windows are always shut. 

My brother, who works for a contractor, said that he has yet to see a house without mice. 

1 ... 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m3TM7SwyCwmS93tIApsJzW68CTwOvl60jNCMWdh2391WVfjcn5TDQPRD1HXUi0s2