1 ... 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 ... 1929
dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/14/20 9:03 p.m.

If tomorrow's injections don't work then I'm out of options at pain management aside from narcotics. I'm nervous as hell and it's making me grouchy. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/14/20 9:06 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Why does everyone seem to expect me to make some kind of radical change to my life? I put a lot of work in getting to where I was happy and comfortable, and I'm still pretty happy with much of this. Several times a week I get asked about what I'm going to do now that I'm "free".  Almost every person is disappointed to learn I'm not quitting my job, I'm not moving, I'm not even blowing my insurance money on coke and strippers (yet, it's still early). For the most part I will remain the same responsible adult I've been for years and I'm kinda happy about it. 

I think people assume you want to throw away your old life because of a loved ones death. Or they are the kind of people that think a new haircut will make them a new person, or moving will make them an person.

You are still the same person and since most people hate themselves.......that's disappointing to most people. 

And definitely don't do anything for a year. I had to talk down my dad from selling the property that was the culmination of his, and my mom's, dreams and moving in with his brother in Portland. That would have been a disaster

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/14/20 9:11 p.m.

Why does everyone seem to expect me to make some kind of radical change to my life? I put a lot of work in getting to where I was happy and comfortable, and I'm still pretty happy with much of this. Several times a week I get asked about what I'm going to do now that I'm "free".  Almost every person is disappointed to learn I'm not quitting my job, I'm not moving, I'm not even blowing my insurance money on coke and strippers (yet, it's still early). For the most part I will remain the same responsible adult I've been for years and I'm kinda happy about it. 

All change comes at a cost...time, expense, effort, risk, etc..  Unless a compelling argument can be made for the change (i.e., the expected benefit significantly outweighs the expected cost), sit tight.  Besides, change is always an option but un-change "going back" is often impossible.  I've seen the same behaviors you're describing with people I know and I suspect they're hoping to get a free ride on someone else's back...they get to experience the excitement of change while letting someone else absorb the cost.

Now for my rant...

In the olden times, you'd get a car brochure and towards the back there would be a simple table with columns containing the model levels and rows containing the features.   "I really want a sunroof...let's look at the table, OK, it's not available on the base model, available as an option on the mid model, and standard on the top model" - Done.

Today, it's click on "build your car" and oh no, a sunroof isn't standard on the base model, what if I add this package, nope, what if I add that package, nope...try mid model and oh no, a sunroof isn't standard, what if I add this package.................................

I also want those sweet 18" rims and oh no, sweet 18" rims aren't standard on the base model, what if I add.....................................

Maybe I'm missing something but I see no other way than to spend a prodigious amount of time creating a spreadsheet to essentially create the same model / feature table but now in three dimensions to capture this new invention called packages.

Are they trying to exhaust you into an up-sell or are they trying to conceal bundling a bunch of crap nobody cares about with the things everybody wants or am I just stupid???

Specifically, I'm interested in a new Mazda CX-30...super happy with my 2019 CX-3 but my daughter will be driving soon and Mazda only sells base level CX-3's in the U.S. now.

I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get a CX-30 with a sunroof and sweet 18" rims without paying for a bunch of dumb, clutter junk.

As best as I can tell, I can't at which point I'll just buy my daughter a new base CX-3 and keep my 2019 CX-3 with a sunroof and sweet 18" rims.  

Any Help?

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/14/20 10:51 p.m.

Why does everyone seem to expect me to make some kind of radical change to my life?

Because they don't love their spouse as much as you love Jodi.  As they imagine providing care for their spouse as much as you provided for Jodi, they start to feel trapped and bitter.  They can't imagine that you would go through it all over again, ten times worse, just to have one more day.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/20 5:42 a.m.

Woke up with one of those berkeley you sinus headaches. You know, the kind that makes it hard to function as a human. Ate 800mg of ibuprofen as I was leaving. The whole way to work my stomach was really thinking about trying to empty it's contents, partially from the pain and partially from the ibuprofen trying to dissolve the stomach lining.

Ugh, today is starting off greatfrown

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/15/20 7:43 a.m.

"Now that you're free..."?  Seriously?!  Shiny happy persons.  Berk 'em.  You weren't "trapped" before.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/15/20 7:44 a.m.
Duke said:

"Now that you're free..."?  Seriously?!  shiny happy persons.  Berk 'em.  You weren't "trapped" before.

Yeah, what the berkeley?! You're a better man than me, Wally, because I'd be punching motherberkeleyers out for a comment like that. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/20 8:18 a.m.

I can't get too mad at anyone, I don't think they mean it the way it comes out.  It's a pretty awkward situation in a lot of ways and no one seems quite sure what to say to me but feel they have to say something. This particular something does hit a little harder than most.  

Some days I'm just tired of being caught between people that think I should be running off and starting a new life and people that think it's disrespectful to throw out anything she's not going to need anymore. I'm making a lot of this up as I go along and probably making mistakes here and there but they're my mistakes so I'm ok with them.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/15/20 9:33 a.m.

I'm making a lot of this up as I go along and probably making mistakes here and there but they're my mistakes so I'm ok with them.

That's absolutely the healthiest possible attitude for your situation.  Keep hanging in there, man.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/20 9:39 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Yup. The Dancer has a really sensitive nose and most scented things drive her nuts... so much to the point that (when there was, you know, a selection of the stuff...) I had to buy the TP we like from as far away on the shelf as possible from the scented TP varieties. Scented trash bags don't make things smell better, they just add yet another bad smell to the mix...

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/20 10:30 a.m.

I can't get too mad at anyone, I don't think they mean it the way it comes out.  It's a pretty awkward situation in a lot of ways and no one seems quite sure what to say to me but feel they have to say something. This particular something does hit a little harder than most.  

Some days I'm just tired of being caught between people that think I should be running off and starting a new life and people that think it's disrespectful to throw out anything she's not going to need anymore. I'm making a lot of this up as I go along and probably making mistakes here and there but they're my mistakes so I'm ok with them.

People do seem to go to each extreme really, between changing your whole life or keeping your life and home as a living monument to your dead loved one. 

Neither is the best way, as with most things in life the answer is somewhere in between.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/20 10:47 a.m.
Duke said:

I'm making a lot of this up as I go along and probably making mistakes here and there but they're my mistakes so I'm ok with them.

That's absolutely the healthiest possible attitude for your situation.  Keep hanging in there, man.

She put a lot of work into making me a decent person. I guess I'm glad some of it stuck, 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/20 12:44 p.m.

Goddammit, our close friend has been exposed via one of her co-workers who was exposed from her elderly father.

We told her to wear her mask around her co-workers.  I mean she's a teacher and only see her co-workers occasionally, but we warned her to be careful around them.

Now that the air quality is getting better and we're all looking forward to getting back "new normal" and get some stuff done outside, but now we have to self-quarantine for 2 berkeleying weeks.

So here's a reminder, wear your damned masks and wash your hands.  Remind people you know to do the same.  It only takes a single slipup to potentially expose a bunch of people.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
9/16/20 12:45 p.m.
Duke said:

She put a lot of work into making me a decent person. I guess I'm glad some of it stuck, 

Just so you know, it wasn't all her, but I'm glad you are who you are and keep on doing what is best for you.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/16/20 1:05 p.m.

I just want my parts.  Im trying to support the Local Guy but you are making it difficult to get in and out.  I don't want to hear your opinions on the governor and what kind of Flounder you like.  Despite what you learned at Facebook Law School its "HIPAA" not "Hippo" and it doesn't mean what you think it means.  

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/20 1:05 p.m.

This hybrid online school is terrible. I am ready to kill people.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/20 1:11 p.m.

I berkeleying hate people so damned much.

Do these fools think they are helping anyone?

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1306068005235896320

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/16/20 1:49 p.m.

Niece got sick last week. #1 got sick on Sunday, #2 on Monday. I came home early yesterday to help wife since she got it too. Today is my turn. Very sore throat, zero energy, congestion. Needless to say, I'm not at work, which is super great since I'm hourly and have no sick pay. if I had any energy I'd go out for a ride, nobody in the desert to infect, but I doubt I'd be able to keep the bike up fo long. And it'd be silly to risk injury right now. 

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
9/16/20 2:09 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Oh man that's rona I had it too ... completely drained me for a couple of days

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
9/16/20 2:18 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I'm not for violence, but if I had a broom handle, I'd probably start seeing if I could tee up a few of those for threatening my life and those of my children.

The fact that many stores are not enforcing this makes me even more angry.  I get that you don't want regular employees doing that, but this is why you have security and if necessary, police.

Had some dipstick get turned away at Costco a while back, he was walking back towards up in the parking lot where we were wearing our masks and made some comment about "sheeple wearing masks"  My wife retorted about shiny happy people should wear their masks because their breath stinks and kept on walking.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/20 2:26 p.m.

Very, very minor rant:

I have too many cars and projects to be able to enjoy them all, but don't want to get rid of any.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/16/20 2:53 p.m.

And you're storing mine. Sorry!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/20 3:05 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Its in the way of stampies that lives here. No worries! 

But, for toys: miata, neon, duster. Then two Silverado trucks, mazda5 and a mazda6. One silverado is going to toy status for the next few years,  and the other is a project-ish. Plus nader for stampie, the b2000 engine swap project, dads flatty powered f1, dustins dakota r/t build i agreed to help with.....

Kinda overwhelmed today. More than kinda. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/16/20 3:12 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to chandler :

Its in the way of stampies that lives here. No worries! 

But, for toys: miata, neon, duster. Then two Silverado trucks, mazda5 and a mazda6. One silverado is going to toy status for the next few years,  and the other is a project-ish. Plus nader for stampie, the b2000 engine swap project, dads flatty powered f1, dustins dakota r/t build i agreed to help with.....

Kinda overwhelmed today. More than kinda. 

Sorry dude. I really appreciate you. I was just recounting the time you brought a door to me out of the blue. I never even paid you for gas. You're a man among men. I wish I could help you as much as you helped me (and a ton of other people here).

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/16/20 3:16 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:

I'm not for violence, but if I had a broom handle, I'd probably start seeing if I could tee up a few of those for threatening my life and those of my children.

The fact that many stores are not enforcing this makes me even more angry.  I get that you don't want regular employees doing that, but this is why you have security and if necessary, police.

Had some dipstick get turned away at Costco a while back, he was walking back towards up in the parking lot where we were wearing our masks and made some comment about "sheeple wearing masks"  My wife retorted about shiny happy people should wear their masks because their breath stinks and kept on walking.

If you really want to influence this, vote with your feet, and with your cash. Stay out of Target. Then send their corporate headquarters a letter with a copy of that video on a disk stating that you, your children and your credit card wil not be seen in Target stores until their security employees get their act together and make you feel safe there. 

1 ... 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XGT1chVd3F6zv4Oq7F4ZA0Uj5rJWxcPgocjAXmZMrExdaXqEs82Qn79g7cQ38iTZ