1 ... 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 ... 1926
PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/12/20 4:47 p.m.

Just because you know how to use a software well, it doesn't qualify you to teach it. This class could have been half the time with more hands on examples and I would have learned more. I know first hand because it is what I did at my last job. Took a theoretical class and changed it to a hands on examples based class. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/20 5:12 p.m.
Appleseed said:
Appleseed said:
Appleseed said:

Got a letter from unemployment. My old employer is appealing the decision. This is expected. Doesn't make me any less concerned. Especially if I am somehow found ineligible and have to pay it back. It's been spent on mortgage payments,  baby food, and diapers. 

Nervous? Me? No. Why  would I be concerned about the phone call tomorrow from a judge?

Like every morning, I'll pretend that I'm already dead.

Not as bad as my brain made it out to be.

It rarely is.

so what was the verdict?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/12/20 8:44 p.m.

berkeleying E36 M3. The miatas headlights are horrible. At 50mph on a hilly four lane road,  with a 55mph speed limit,  i couldn't see the large deer carcass until there was nothing i could do. 

Busted the front lip, ripped off the splitter and hardware, banged up the body kit, and thats all i can see in the dark hosing deer chunks off.

And i have an event Saturday. 

Didn't berkeleying need this.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/12/20 9:28 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

You're in NC, yes? I didn't like the night driving experience in NC. Y'all could do with about a million more street lamps. 

11/12/20 9:37 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Yup. Rural nc at that! 

I had headlights on the "upgrade soon " list. Unfortunately,  not soon enough apparently. 

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/20 10:34 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Yup. Rural nc at that! 

I had headlights on the "upgrade soon " list. Unfortunately,  not soon enough apparently. 

If you guys got freaking half the rain we got in the past few days, well... you still had 5 inches of rain in the past few days. Wet roads never help that kindo of thing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/13/20 12:15 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

Improper paperwork filed by my former employer.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/13/20 2:14 a.m.

berkeleying E36 M3. The miatas headlights are horrible. At 50mph on a hilly four lane road,  with a 55mph speed limit,  i couldn't see the large deer carcass until there was nothing i could do. 

Busted the front lip, ripped off the splitter and hardware, banged up the body kit, and thats all i can see in the dark hosing deer chunks off.

Dang. Sorry to hear that - glad you're OK!

Cars can be fixed, or they gain cool battle scars and stories. Or both. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/13/20 6:24 a.m.

Another pay cycle has come and the system is still taking my money for "child support".  On an offspring who turned 18 back in February, graduated in May, I filed the appropriate paperwork in June, and refiled it in October.

berkeleying tiresome.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
11/13/20 6:39 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

I hope you get a big refund check 

wae
wae UberDork
11/13/20 7:16 a.m.

Youngest's daughter's classmate tested positive making her a "close contact".  So she has to go NTI as do her sisters who go to a different school.  #3 is mandatory NTI until after Thanksgiving, the other two are mandatory NTI until #3 gets a negative test result.  The contact was on Tuesday and "they" say that it's best to wait until 5 days past suspected contact for testing so we have appointments for us all to be tested on Monday afternoon.  And it takes 4 days to get results back.  Rapid testing is available in the area (sortakinda - we'd have to cross the river and I prefer to not when it can be avoided) but it appears that the false negatives on those happen at a somewhat higher rate (20ish percent) compared to the not-so-rapid test (10ish percent), so with no one showing symptoms I'd rather go for the more accurate one.

I'm starting to think that this is all a plot by whatever the trade group is that represents distilleries in order to gin up sales.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/13/20 7:42 a.m.

Customer comes in yesterday with an '08 Sierra complaining of a fluid leak under the truck. Pull it in, and the thing has self-undercoated itself with ATF because the cooler lines and the auxiliary cooler are both completely rotted out and the fluid is pouring out. Give the estimate to the customer and they go "Oh, okay, we'll do it next month." Try to stress how badly the leak is, and get "Just top it off." The transmission was 5 quarts low and the fluid is pouring out almost as fast as I can pour it in. I said to the service writer "I hope by 'I'll do it next month' that means they are having it towed home and parked and then towed back, because if they drive it, there isn't going to be a transmission left."

11/13/20 7:52 a.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:

Going to put it up on stands and look closely,  but it seems that most damage is body/cosmetic. Found what was left of the splitter this morning,  so i at least have most of a template and some hardware to work with! 

Could have done much worse....

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/13/20 8:00 a.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:

Going to put it up on stands and look closely,  but it seems that most damage is body/cosmetic. Found what was left of the splitter this morning,  so i at least have most of a template and some hardware to work with! 

Could have done much worse....

This whole ordeal reminds me that I need to order a new undertray for my Miata after I smashed mine into oblivion on surprise construction. They had paved the road at this spot where it dips down under a railroad bridge. Paved before and paved from the bottom up, because I could see it on approach. They had not paved directly under the bridge, in the shadows, and had no signs warning that there was no pavement. I hit it at about 60 and exploded the undertray.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/13/20 9:51 a.m.

A friend of mine posted the "I hate it when people say 'it must be nice'. I worked my ass off" thing. 

This pissed me off for two reasons. 

• First of all... "Must be nice" does indeed piss me off. As one who worked my ass off and saved a TON when I was younger, it really pisses me off. So we're now in a position that we can say my wife isn't going to work at a hospital due to Covid, but it is coming at the expense of our retirement contributions for a while. It also pisses me off when my wife says it about my parents, in comparison with hers. Yeah, your parents eat out about 4 times a week and have had super-duper-package cable for forever. My parents ate out 1-2 times a month, and had cable for a total of 3 years between 1984 and 2008 (in 2008 they got it permanently). And the purchase price of their house was about 1/2 of what your parents paid within 1 year of each other, even though their incomes were about the same. So don't give me the "it must be nice". Must be nice having cable your whole life and eating out a few times a week, too, but I wouldn't know.
  • Secondly... The guy who posted the meme on facebook, did NOT work his ass off. He bought a very successful business from his dad on very generous terms, hired 3 people to do the work, and then uses his dad, wife, and sister to fill in when the 3 people take vacation. Your dad worked his ass off. You did not. Sure, you work your ass off on your secondary hobby income, but don't claim your dads hard work as your own. 
Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/13/20 10:06 a.m.

Alexa, show me an example of missing the point.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 10:19 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

I have heard it a lot this summer and being the terrible person I am put together an answer that usually bothers the person that said it more than it bothers me. "It is nice, it's absolutely wonderful knowing I can do anything I want short of being shot into space.  It took years of sacrifice to get here and I lost my reason for getting up every morning along the way but I'm living a dream life." 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/13/20 10:20 a.m.

On a side note I found out I can buy a test with one of the dakar truck teams. I can't afford to run an event but I can get a bit of seat time. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 12:24 p.m.
NickD said:

Customer comes in yesterday with an '08 Sierra complaining of a fluid leak under the truck. Pull it in, and the thing has self-undercoated itself with ATF because the cooler lines and the auxiliary cooler are both completely rotted out and the fluid is pouring out. Give the estimate to the customer and they go "Oh, okay, we'll do it next month." Try to stress how badly the leak is, and get "Just top it off." The transmission was 5 quarts low and the fluid is pouring out almost as fast as I can pour it in. I said to the service writer "I hope by 'I'll do it next month' that means they are having it towed home and parked and then towed back, because if they drive it, there isn't going to be a transmission left."

It wss fine six months ago, why wouldn't it be fine now?

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/13/20 3:06 p.m.

Damnit. BIL was having drinks, indoors, without masks. He now has no sense of smell. My wife has been seeing her parents. BIL lives with them. 

WTF are you thinking having drinks, indoors, without masks and social distancing? Your dad is obese, has a-fib, asthma, and high blood pressure. Your mom was a smoker for 30 years and has MS. You have asthma. 

Oh, and there wasn't even a woman there. So no chance of nookie. And it was berkeleying warm outside, unseasonably warm. You could have seen each other with drinks outside. But nope, you're a dumbass.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/13/20 4:05 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

But now you have great stories.....

"Can you believe that idiot......"

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/13/20 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

If his field is anything like mine.....he already has a bunch of those stories 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/13/20 6:28 p.m.

The dog just wants to play but my calf is really sore and I can't jump around with him. I hate that his life has become so boring and isolated. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/14/20 11:24 a.m.

Jesus berkeley my day went to hell. 

So, for a long time, my direct leadership had been a husband and wife team, and the owner is actually the wife's father. Bad plan, right? 

It was great, for a while. 

Then, my direct report starting pregaming shifts. A beer here and there. Maybe a couple at lunch. The rules have always been pretty fast and loose here, it seems as if very little is actually against the rules unless you're actively murdering someone. 

Being a friend first and a co worker second I mentioned that maybe the E36 M3 was getting out of hand. He dismissed it. Things continued as they were and I basically ignored them, because if there's one thing I know, it's you're not going to do E36 M3 about an addiction you don't think is an addiction. 

Fast forward a few months. I had gone out with heart failure and come back to work, and things had progressed. Not in a good way. It's pretty noticeable, especially on weekends. He even admits to drinking in his car before work. He's started making offhand comments about not having gotten laid in months and passing out in his office, and getting blasted (and high) regularly with another co-worker/friend after work. I start putting a little distance on because I know where this is going, and he's still not listening. 

Two weeks ago I came to work and saw his car outside. At 9am. He wasn't scheduled til 11. Ok, berkeley. He's pregaming, in his car, at work, at 9am. I heard his car leave at like 930. At 11, he texts and says he's gonna be an hour late. He lives 2 miles from here. Double berkeley. 

He comes into work absolutely berkeleying demolished. Like how he got here is beyond me. Confides in me that his wife has asked for a divorce. I'm not surprised, she's been distant and such for a while. I find out through a mutual friend it's because of the exact same substance abuse I called him on. 

The day goes down like the titanic on a iceberg. It's a miracle we only got one complaint. Bad bad bad. 

Come in that Monday, and he's off the schedule for the week. By today, he's gone outright. 

The worst part? I only came back to work on the premise that another manager we all hate and everyone refuses to work with was going to be out the door, and this slimy motherberkeleyer has somehow outlasted yet another manager, and we still can't fire him. 

wae
wae UberDork
11/14/20 8:15 p.m.

I found out why my brother was getting anxious about my progress on the frame and housing for the air scrubber.  Apparently we don't need 1 of these for Thanksgiving, we need 4.  So I need to get the prototype finished and then go assembly-line style!

1 ... 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MiZxT4dEolAJXkE5sCi3EtUeJJKY7X88DlXK7Hrj923zExMyPMsCYlzJpxQom09j