1 ... 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 ... 1929
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/14/20 9:11 p.m.

I've been blowing off my one customer due to low sales volume.  I'm in the office on a Saturday and they call complaining the parts bins are low and they need some hose fittings - please bring them over this morning? 

After putting in the order I look at the profit and see I'll make a $4.50 commission to deliver parts 15 minutes away.  Oh well,  I'll do the guy a favor today.  I'll get him the next 5 orders.......

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/15/20 7:12 a.m.

I received my next door neighbor's mail again yesterday.  I've been receiving their mail maybe once a month or so for the past 23 years.  I guess I understand that sometimes pieces of mail stick together and the mail carrier doesn't notice.  We also occasionally get mail for a neighbor down the street whose address is like ours, but with two digits transposed. I understand that too.   But yesterday there was exactly one item in my mail box, and it was addressed to my next door neighbor. 

The house number for my next door neighbor to the south is sequential with mine, as one would expect. The house number for my next door neighbor to the north is completely different from mine, and even has a different number of digits.  Guess whose mail we always get.  Yup, the mail for the neighbor with the completely different house number.  Our mail boxes are clearly numbered and they're about 200 feet apart. It's not too hard (for me, and probably for you) to tell the difference between a 3 digit number and a 4 digit number in which none of the digits match.  But apparently that requires just a bit more cognition than what is possessed by USPS mail carriers. 

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/15/20 3:26 p.m.

I berkeleying suck at planning. I wanted to move to a different house because I hate this one that I am currently renting. My lease expires at the end of December and I don't have enough money saved to move. I guess that isn't terrible because I hate moving even more than I hate this house. There are some small changes I'd like to make though.

What would possess someone to paint a house this horrid color? Its even more orange in person. Looking at historical street view pictures, the house used to be white up until sometime in 2011:

Now I'm not going to paint the house because well, its not mine. However, the landscaping was not maintained by the previous tenant at all. Its a mess and it looks bad. Much of it is overgrown. I'd like to clean it up a bit. Notice that nicely trimmed shrub next to the garage in the fist pic? Half of it is dead now and its nearly blocking the exterior light. I'd like to cut it out, clean up the ground, lay down some landscape fabric and then white stones and then put in a half whisky barrel planter with some colorful flowers in it. There is a sprinkler riser pipe next to the base of the shrub that is capped off that I'd like to run into the whiskey barrel with a soaker hose.

Next I'd like to change the address lettering. Can you spot it in the first pic? Yeah, nobody else can either. This includes the pizza delivery dude, the USPS, Fedex, UPS and the county sheriff. After the stupid shrub by the garage is gone, I'd like to put 6" tall numbers just to the right of the rightmost exterior light in a vertical arrangement. You know, something easily visible from the street.

I'm going to have a coupe of weeks of downtime after Thanksgiving because my company is forcing me to self quarantine after flying to see my sister in Kansas. I have to take PTO for those 14 days which pretty much wipes out all of my saved PTO. So I might as well do something productive while I'm stuck at home.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/20 5:51 p.m.

My brother's father in law fell off a ladder this morning and has a severe brain injury. It doesn't sound good. My friend also can't get her chemo port put in because of a fever that won't break. Now I'm babysitting my nieces and pretending nothing is wrong. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/15/20 6:43 p.m.

Nothing says "lower middle manager" quite like someone in a my-first-Mercedes A220 riding your ass on 285 near Ashford-Dunwoody.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/15/20 9:25 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

Note to self: replace Buick with baby Benz at earliest convenience.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/15/20 9:33 p.m.

I'm all over the place.  Thank God I seem to be good at holding myself together.  

My brother's father in law isn't doing well. He apparently fell off a ladder and has bleeding on his brain stem they can't stop and was out several hours before being found and is suffering from hypothermia. It seems more like when than if. My nieces will have lost both grandfathers in a matter of months. My heart breaks for them. Right now they don't know the seriousness of the situation. We stayed up eating pizza and watching Fuller House until they fell asleep. At least they're getting one more sleep in without knowing what's happening.  

On a selfish note the girl sounds better than she has in days, and is optimistic about getting chemo started this week, and excited to get home to her little girl and eventually meeting me. I'm a bit surprised how happy I am about this. 

A pointer for YouTube content makers. If your video is about a epic road trip, the viewers don't really want to look at your ugly mug. Shockingly enough, most of us don't really care about you. We are here to see what you see, not see you. Lets keep the words to a minimum and turn the camera around. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/20 8:45 a.m.

We are so very done with having to deal with a 75lb dog with a drain tube in his hip randomly dripping blood. It almost would have been better to have had to deal with trying to keep the 'diaper'-like bandage they originally had on him from getting poop and pee on it to not have to be trying to constantly trying to get him to only lay down on the roughly 2'x3' waterproof bed pad we tracked down (that's currently in the wash for like the 5th time in not as many days) and needing to find a paper towel any time he decides he needs to shake himself off because invariably he's sent blood droplets flying. We had wanted to replace the carpet on the one floor in the house that is carpeted anyway- but this has severely accelerated the timeframe of needing to do that with the amount of canine bodily fluids that it has absorbed in the last week.

They're supposed to take the drain out tomorrow (originally was Saturday but they thought it needed more time) but we called and basically begged them to take it out and close things up today instead- but the vet who did all the work isn't in until tomorrow and the temp one isn't comfortable doing it. So we will end up having slept on the couch for a week once they finally take it out tomorrow (it's easier to protect the couch than our bed, and there's no way he wouldn't rub up against the clothes piles in the bedroom and get blood on multiple loads worth of clothing). I almost gave up last night and let he and The Dancer sleep on the couch and went down and curled up on the actual bed as The Dog lay down (thankfully on something we didn't care about getting blood on) in such a way that I could NOT get into the position I have to be in to fall asleep, but he finally shifted enough that I managed to fall asleep. 

The Dancer jokingly quipped to someone at the dance studio over the weekend that we were getting some of the experience of having a newborn baby- and one of the mothers haughtily told her that she had no idea. Yes, thankfully this will be over far sooner than dealing with a child- but by the time a child is the size the The Dog is they presumably can manage their own bodily functions, sleep in their own beds, and can be reasoned with (to an extent) and understand what is going on- all things that are not the case with The Dog.

Secondary rant: This was probably one of the last weekends we're going to get with nice, warm weather- and it was one that I had the Friday off for. Total time I got to spend out in the garage over the long weekend: 75 minutes. Thankfully enough time to accomplish what I needed to with the weather warmer (spray cans don't work the best in the cold), but in a normal weekend I'd have had the car all the way back together.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/16/20 11:44 a.m.

I had to call in sick for the second time in 7 years this morning.

I'll spare the details but let's just say I had evil coming out of both ends. Thankfully it happened in the shower and not on my 1hr commute surprise.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/16/20 12:14 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) :

And I'm sure someone tried to make you feel guilty about it. Last time I had food poisoning, I was working out of town living in a hotel room. I had a co worker take me to the ER because I got so helplessly dehydrated. I literally crawled to his truck. I was called wuss and baby and lots of other names because I missed work. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/16/20 12:20 p.m.

Power went out yesteday at 12:08pm, I remember because I had just looked at my watch and thought I should make something for lunch.  This was after watching a trashcan roll UP the hill in 60ish mph winds.  At 5pm I finally went to SWMBO house for a warm dinner and dry the laundry I had put in the dryer at 1130am...

Still out.  Woke up to 56F.  Stopped at Thornton's for gas station coffee (not bad) and a donut because why the berkeley not.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/16/20 12:23 p.m.

Nothing worse than getting sick during this covid crap.  My fever broke last night. Missed three days work and maybe more if they decide they want me to get a covid test.  Haven't heard yet.  99% sure it's just bronchitis as the doctor diagnosed it.  But there's always that question.  Doc said he wouldn't bother getting the test. Said 1 out of 100 tests they gave last week came back positive.  But work may want me thi get one before I go back which would be another 3-5 days. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
11/16/20 12:25 p.m.

2 negative tests.  2nd one was rapid, today, just now.  Got a call from the state health dept asking if I'd like to discuss the results of my test, so I pull over;

"Which test? The one from 10 minutes ago that was negative or the one from 3 days ago that was negative?"

"No sir, we show you as positive from the 11/13 test administered at the pharmacy."

"I have 2 hard copy reports with negative results and no symptoms."

"Yes ok.  I'll discuss this with my supervisor."

"Can I get an email or letter with your report you are referring to?"

"I don't believe we can do that....."

I was helpful and polite but I have absolutely no trust in the testing, reporting, or administration of testing information in my state.  Turns out the state issued a $295 million contract to the 3rd party conducting these trace calls.  I had doubts due to anecdotes I've heard.  Now my doubts are confirmed.  I am positive, however, that the answers I receive about my condition will be tied to the numbers I call, and not the result of the test.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
11/16/20 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

Probably why the Tour de France is so popular on TV in the UK. Gorgeous countryside.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/16/20 1:52 p.m.

I ordered tires from Tire Rack and had them shipped to the dealership that I work at so that I could mount and install them on my hour lunch break. They were supposed to arrive today. I get an email from FedEx saying they were "delivered successfully". I go in and ask the parts department and they have no tires in the FedEx shipment. As we are trying to sort it out, the Wal-Mart half a mile down the road calls our parts department and goes "We have tires addressed to your address that FedEx just dumped off here? What are these?"

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/20 2:49 p.m.
NickD said:

I ordered tires from Tire Rack and had them shipped to the dealership that I work at so that I could mount and install them on my hour lunch break. They were supposed to arrive today. I get an email from FedEx saying they were "delivered successfully". I go in and ask the parts department and they have no tires in the FedEx shipment. As we are trying to sort it out, the Wal-Mart half a mile down the road calls our parts department and goes "We have tires addressed to your address that FedEx just dumped off here? What are these?"

FedEx Ground I'm guessing?  They are really crap and are a separate entity from the FedEx options. 

There's a reason Amazon dropped them as a vendor.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/20 3:33 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

In reply to stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) :

And I'm sure someone tried to make you feel guilty about it. Last time I had food poisoning, I was working out of town living in a hotel room. I had a co worker take me to the ER because I got so helplessly dehydrated. I literally crawled to his truck. I was called wuss and baby and lots of other names because I missed work. 

A long time back, I puked into a trash can during a meeting at work. The nausea was sudden onset, no warning- I went from "Hey, not feeling well, better leave" to "Now, in this can, here." I grabbed the bag out of the can and made to leave. As I was walking towards the door, somebody gave me some static about leaving early. I stopped to try to explain what was going on by holding up the bag from the meeting room, caught a whiff and... had another bout of puking, in their trash can at their desk.
So I threw the bag I was carrying into that can, grabbed that can and just chucked it in the dumpster on the way out.

Nobody gave me any hassle about being out sick after that, though.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
11/16/20 3:34 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

FedEx Ground I'm guessing?  They are really crap and are a separate entity from the FedEx options. 

Around here, FedEx Ground was far more reliable than USPS, which Amazon unfortunately continues to use.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/16/20 3:45 p.m.

No change on my brother's FIL, they don't expect him to survive. It really sucks. He's a really great man. Pastor of their church, very active in his community helping the poor and homeless, great father and grandfather.  I almost feel guilty seeing all these good people going through hell while I bumble along unscathed. 

Meanwhile they can't start chemo on th girl because her fever won't break. Another good person with a kid going through something they don't deserve. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/16/20 8:12 p.m.

Dang - guy has a clean 4-door Datsun 510 with no engine or tranny in Muskegon, Michigan for $2250.  

Sold earlier today - stupid job cuts into my personal time.  

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/20 10:49 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

A pointer for YouTube content makers. If your video is about a epic road trip, the viewers don't really want to look at your ugly mug. Shockingly enough, most of us don't really care about you. We are here to see what you see, not see you. Lets keep the words to a minimum and turn the camera around. 

You never see me in my videos.  I do not want to see me, I know you don't.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/17/20 7:39 a.m.

A pair of rat berkeley personal injury lawyers from St. Louis who rose to National fame for pointing guns at people apparently used their famous picture as their Christmas card photo this year.

And have sued the photographer who took said photo for causing them "undue stress and anguish".

Not a political rant at all, but an anti-lawyer one.    These people are true scum.

wae
wae UberDork
11/17/20 8:16 a.m.

I sure hope I don't run out of flux core wire before my wuhan test comes back.  I ordered a new spool via Amazon Prime and they just sent me a shipping update.  New estimated delivery date is Nov. 18th-Dec 28th.  Quite a range there, boys.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/17/20 8:37 a.m.
Rodan said:
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

Around here, FedEx Ground was far more reliable than USPS, which Amazon unfortunately continues to use.

I'll be honest for me USPS has been by far the most reliable shipping option. With UPS by far the worst.

1 ... 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A06pO2pIGCK0lNnQEktXNoniqvw9GtHvfTjYH0Nb8jkLpbkzoE8SDqvdb0FeOfic