1 ... 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 ... 1341
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
11/17/20 9:41 a.m.

Been feeling like my life needs a significant course correction for a long time.  Problem is, I've got responsibilities to others that I'd pretty much blow up if I made any significant changes.  And I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with anything that might work that wouldn't mess things up irreparably if they don't work out.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
11/17/20 9:49 a.m.

Dammit. Sat down this morning at my desk and unlocked both work laptop and the iMac... and shortly after doing so the iMac screen went black and it rebooted 'because of a problem'. So... SSD did NOT solve whatever is causing that, but it is at least more stable. I have a sneaking suspicion after actually looking at the error report it generated to send to Apple that I'm right that it's something with Safari (likely FB, which it regularly complains is using a lot of resources)- which if this is the case at least makes it easier to avoid.

On the good news/bad news side of things... cases locally have been surging, so the city has decided that they won't allow the theatre where The Dancer's non-profit holds its January performance. So, I don't have to worry about the computer behaving for the show and won't have to again until at least a few months later. It sucks that the show is at best delayed... but hopefully Apple will get the new computers out soon.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/17/20 10:34 a.m.

Hvac suddenly started making ugly noises and no heat. In addition to the internet connection dropping out constantly. 

Not been a good morning.....

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
11/17/20 11:51 a.m.

Well, that ruins today and the next few days. Went in at Noon to have the Dog's drain removed and they have him in like 5 minutes before bringing him back out and going, "Oh, it's a bit swollen and puffy so needs to have a few more days. Bring him back at the end of the day Thursday- and try and keep it more clean." The Dancer all but yelled at her that we're already cleaning it like every 5 minutes, what the berk more can we be doing? The Dancer wants to (and probably will, at some point) cry from how stressful this has been, and I'm just plain pissed at them- the last two times we've needed to have things done (when they've removed lumps) it's been a nightmare of a recovery- the previous time they couldn't get the stitches to stay closed and ended up having to just let it heal as an 'open wound' which took like a month to seal itself up. 

We WERE looking forward to having a halfway normal evening tonight and getting to sleep in our own bed- guess that's right berkeleyed. If we (well, I- she'll be at work) take him in on Thursday and they say it's going to be longer I'm probably going to be yelling at a vet tech...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/17/20 1:26 p.m.

No Mardi Gras parades in 2021... I mean I figured it would happen but it sucks.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/17/20 1:44 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Based on my experience, it's going to keep doing that until you replace the video card or retire it. That is exactly what mine did and it was only cured by replacing the overheated video card. 
 

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
11/17/20 2:22 p.m.

They think I pinched a nerve in my neck, apparently common in people with lower back issues via compensation. So I have to wear a foam neck collar until I get an mri. I'm 33 going on 70 Jesus 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
11/17/20 4:21 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Based on my experience, it's going to keep doing that until you replace the video card or retire it. That is exactly what mine did and it was only cured by replacing the overheated video card. 
 

For the time being it's not really causing anything more than minor headaches behaving the way it is- and I can easily pull the new SSD back out and either put it into a new computer or an enclosure so I'm not really out anything except time. The new video card won't be able to be pulled out similarly I'd guess, so for now I'll likely hold out in hopes that the new Apple silicon iMacs aren't that far out.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/17/20 9:37 p.m.

I stop at stop signs. I come to a complete stop. I don't hang out - as soon as the stop happens, I'm ready to pull away again. I'm slower than running every stop sign, obviously, but not by much. 

I actually had someone lay into me with their horn today, presumably for stopping. After a couple of blocks, they passed me on the right, and then pulled a left hand turn through a stop sign without really slowing down. 

 

PMRacing
PMRacing UltraDork
11/18/20 5:20 a.m.

Allergies?  Cold?  None of the real symptoms other than runny nose and a dry throat  The wind has been crazy here lately blowing the leaves and stuff I'm allergic to around. It's following my normal progression of allergy related colds. But damn if this isn't stressful.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/18/20 6:25 a.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

I stop at stop signs. I come to a complete stop. I don't hang out - as soon as the stop happens, I'm ready to pull away again. I'm slower than running every stop sign, obviously, but not by much. 

I actually had someone lay into me with their horn today, presumably for stopping. After a couple of blocks, they passed me on the right, and then pulled a left hand turn through a stop sign without really slowing down. 

 

Stop signs around here are merely a suggestion. If an LEO was in the mood to write citations,  they could bust stop sign rollers all day. Every day.

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude)
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) MegaDork
11/18/20 6:59 a.m.
Appleseed said:
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

I stop at stop signs. I come to a complete stop. I don't hang out - as soon as the stop happens, I'm ready to pull away again. I'm slower than running every stop sign, obviously, but not by much. 

I actually had someone lay into me with their horn today, presumably for stopping. After a couple of blocks, they passed me on the right, and then pulled a left hand turn through a stop sign without really slowing down. 

 

Stop signs around here are merely a suggestion. If an LEO was in the mood to write citations,  they could bust stop sign rollers all day. Every day.

The city I live in is absolute death on stop sign runners and red light runners. Don't do it. They will catch you. They sit on the major intersections, neighborhood intersections, and even running the stop signs in parking lots will earn you a ticket and they have no mercy.  

Funny thing though. They don't care about the speed. I haven't seen any cops running radar since I moved here 10 years ago. Go as fast as you like, but you better stop for the lights and signs. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/18/20 7:23 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Even the boat parades?

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/18/20 7:37 a.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:
Appleseed said:
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

I stop at stop signs. I come to a complete stop. I don't hang out - as soon as the stop happens, I'm ready to pull away again. I'm slower than running every stop sign, obviously, but not by much. 

I actually had someone lay into me with their horn today, presumably for stopping. After a couple of blocks, they passed me on the right, and then pulled a left hand turn through a stop sign without really slowing down. 

 

Stop signs around here are merely a suggestion. If an LEO was in the mood to write citations,  they could bust stop sign rollers all day. Every day.

The city I live in is absolute death on stop sign runners and red light runners. Don't do it. They will catch you. They sit on the major intersections, neighborhood intersections, and even running the stop signs in parking lots will earn you a ticket and they have no mercy.  

Funny thing though. They don't care about the speed. I haven't seen any cops running radar since I moved here 10 years ago. Go as fast as you like, but you better stop for the lights and signs. 

They are aggressive about right turns on red here, but that seems to be easy to automate and primarily about revenue. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/18/20 7:54 a.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:
Appleseed said:
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

I stop at stop signs. I come to a complete stop. I don't hang out - as soon as the stop happens, I'm ready to pull away again. I'm slower than running every stop sign, obviously, but not by much. 

I actually had someone lay into me with their horn today, presumably for stopping. After a couple of blocks, they passed me on the right, and then pulled a left hand turn through a stop sign without really slowing down. 

 

Stop signs around here are merely a suggestion. If an LEO was in the mood to write citations,  they could bust stop sign rollers all day. Every day.

The city I live in is absolute death on stop sign runners and red light runners. Don't do it. They will catch you. They sit on the major intersections, neighborhood intersections, and even running the stop signs in parking lots will earn you a ticket and they have no mercy.  

Funny thing though. They don't care about the speed. I haven't seen any cops running radar since I moved here 10 years ago. Go as fast as you like, but you better stop for the lights and signs. 

I'm okay with this.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/18/20 11:43 a.m.
PMRacing said:

Allergies?  Cold?  None of the real symptoms other than runny nose and a dry throat  The wind has been crazy here lately blowing the leaves and stuff I'm allergic to around. It's following my normal progression of allergy related colds. But damn if this isn't stressful.

DW and I just ran through this over the weekend.  It's a 5-day affair, pretty much (DW is running about 24 hours behind me, so it's probably my fault).  She got a low fever; I got a lower back ache.  Both of us still have full taste and smell ability, and it stayed pretty much sinus / upper respiratory, so I really don't think it's the 'Rona.  From onset last Friday I am 95% better this morning.

 

 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/18/20 11:45 a.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

The city I live in is absolute death on stop sign runners and red light runners. Don't do it. They will catch you. They sit on the major intersections, neighborhood intersections, and even running the stop signs in parking lots will earn you a ticket and they have no mercy.  

Funny thing though. They don't care about the speed. I haven't seen any cops running radar since I moved here 10 years ago. Go as fast as you like, but you better stop for the lights and signs. 

I could totally live with that enforcement scheme.

 

wae
wae UberDork
11/19/20 3:24 p.m.

I was really hopeful that the diocese would not capitulate but apparently they're closing the schools and we're going to No True Instruction for the rest of the year.  How wonderful.  I can see why they would want to do that, though, so that we can prevent the exactly zero cases of in-school transmission that we've had.

 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/19/20 3:31 p.m.

Paid the $125 to get the rapid test done at a clinic today.  Came back positive. I suspected that would be the case when I lost my sense of taste and smell last night.  Bad news is I went back to work Tuesday and Wednesday because the doctor said it was just bronchitis and didn't see the need for the test.  So now I've exposed everyone at work.  Hopefully all of our safety precautions work.  Knowing I was sick I did my best to stay away from everyone.  Still blows me away they didn't require a test to return to work.  Oh well,  too late now. 

Weirdly my mom and sister up in Ohio both tested positive the same day I got sick. The good news is mom is being released from the hospital today.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/19/20 6:48 p.m.

Going to be working 7a to 7p through Thanksgiving. How do I get so behind at work? 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/19/20 7:32 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

No Mardi Gras parades in 2021... I mean I figured it would happen but it sucks.

I say this as someone who once left Louisiana for Huntsville to escape Mardi Gras, how about this? They note that they may have to cancel or reschedule, but it's probably a relatively low risk event. If any parade is conducive to social distancing, this should be it. It's also right over the border, so no New Orleans traffic.
https://kreweofbilge.com/home

 

 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
11/19/20 9:29 p.m.
wae said:

I was really hopeful that the diocese would not capitulate but apparently they're closing the schools and we're going to No True Instruction for the rest of the year.  How wonderful.  I can see why they would want to do that, though, so that we can prevent the exactly zero cases of in-school transmission that we've had.

 

Our school district told the county to pound sand when they were told to go to online-only. They are maintaining a MWF in class, TT online schedule right now.

At the beginning of the year, Mrs Recon and I decided to homeschool the kids for this year at a minimum due to the absolute disaster the end of last year turned into. I've seen nothing yet to cause me to reconsider...

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
11/20/20 7:27 a.m.

Vet finally removed the drain from The Dog's hip, so yay no more blood dripping everywhere right? Wrong- they don't stitch it closed when they remove it, they want it to heal normally... so at least another day or so of dripping until the hole closes itself up naturally. Yay.

Even more fun was that they had gotten the pathology reports back from the tumors they removed- and of course with this being 2020 and all the large one that was the biggest concern came back as cancerous. On the slightly better side of things, the kind they found that it was is not aggressive so they aren't concerned it did/will spread elsewhere- but it is difficult to get all of out and the only real way to tell is wait and see if the tumor comes back. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/20/20 7:58 a.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:
93EXCivic said:

No Mardi Gras parades in 2021... I mean I figured it would happen but it sucks.

I say this as someone who once left Louisiana for Huntsville to escape Mardi Gras, how about this? They note that they may have to cancel or reschedule, but it's probably a relatively low risk event. If any parade is conducive to social distancing, this should be it. It's also right over the border, so no New Orleans traffic.
https://kreweofbilge.com/home

 

 

My wife rides in The Krewe of Cleopatra so that is the big reason it sucks.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/20/20 8:01 a.m.

Just an unrant note, I have wife-ranted a few times here. Things are better than they have ever been. They've been this way since maybe September. There is no reason which I can attribute, hence divine intervention.

1 ... 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 ... 1341
Our Preferred Partners
UZF9Dyb9BaA8HV2I3Ybr7vdGayZT4k1wRHtvz1npYH3qmV1fRncHkMfHNFwHDmV4