1 ... 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 ... 1929
NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/14/21 7:08 a.m.

The SCCA gave my class a really good PAX (0.844) for it's second year in existence (last year was 0.864). And then before I ever got a chance to run a single event on that PAX, they changed their mind and gave the class a worse PAX than the proposed one but only slightly better than last year's (0.858). 

In reply to NickD :

Thank You For Your Input (and Designs)! | blipshift

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/14/21 7:58 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Hearing impaired.  There isn't a place in the world that isn't...off. Is this what it really sounds like? Even if it's with other deaf people, am I really hearing what they say, or expending incredible amounts of energy and effort to misunderstand them? Its lonely and frustrating at times. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/14/21 10:16 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you so much, as much of a nightmare as this has been I've met so many nice people in the same mess. 

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I always feel I have to answer questions like that. I've been a little surprised by the number of people I know who check on me think I could or would do it and need to be told I won't. 

In reply to Duke :

Thank you, I've been very lucky to know so many great people like you all. 

In reply to Recon1342 :

I'm seeing that. I don't like it but I'm working on accepting it and trying to get through it.  

Since we don't know each other in real life I can't tell you why that is but as uncomfortable as it is to think about, if it's happening a lot and with different people it's something to think about, Occam's razor and all that.

For what it's worth I don't think you are headed down that path, you ask long term questions for one.

I suck at this sorts of stuff, I'm not sure any if this is helping you right now, maybe it'll help later as a reflecting sort of stage.

My dad always said that he didn't want to get over it, he wanted to get thru it. Getting over it means she didn't make a huge impact on his life, and she did make a huge impact. Not feeling huge amounts of grief wouldnt be right.

1/14/21 10:19 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I totally get that, it's weird.

Moreso since I didn't go over seas or such and come back. I think it's tied to burn out too

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
1/14/21 1:53 p.m.
Annual eye exam this morning, the time has finally arrived... bifocals.  I'm not even 40 yet. frown
fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/14/21 2:12 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:
Annual eye exam this morning, the time has finally arrived... bifocals.  I'm not even 40 yet. frown

Sounds about right.

Annual eye exam at 40, I was told you're gonna need bifocals soon. After eye exam at 41, got bifocals. Yay. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/14/21 2:29 p.m.

I'm 51, I tried both bifocals and graduated lenses over the last decade.  I tried graduated lenses first.  After a year I still couldn't stand them.  Paid for new bifoclas.  Another year and I still couldn't stand them.  I was always needing to look through the wrong part of the lens.  I now use the massively complicated technique of removing my glasses for reading, or if I'm feeling especially pimpy I just slide them up onto my head.  Yes I have to fight the ladies off then.  

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/14/21 2:53 p.m.

Get ready for diopter lenses in your welding helmet too. 

While I can weld w/ bifocals on, it's a lot easier w/ diopters.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/21 2:56 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

Was told a year and a half ago (when I was 44) that I needed or would benefit from multifocals. Didn't get them, just got two pairs- one for distance and one for reading. Got a pair of multifocals around a month ago. Gotten mostly used to them, but will still be getting a pair of distance-only (I can read the dash and such with the distance prescription, just not much closer than that...) sunglasses for driving & hiking (biggest problem with multifocals is when you have to be looking at your feet like when hiking...). 

It IS nice to not have to switch between glasses all the time- but it's also a pain to have to constantly move your head around to keep what you're looking at in focus. I also cannot read with them on, I switch to reading glasses- sorry, I'm not see-sawing my head back and forth when reading. If I wanted to do that I'd watch tennis.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/14/21 2:59 p.m.

Amateurs.

I have multifocal toric contact lenses.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/14/21 3:29 p.m.
Duke said:

Amateurs.

I have multifocal toric contact lenses.

I hated them even more.  I could never see right.  Yes, I've been told by every optician I've seen since the early 80's that I'm a fussy bugger and I complain about vision that most of their customers would delighted with.  20/20 ain't E36 M3.  

Also tried contacts to for my astigmatism.  Hated that too.  I've given up on the thought of Lasik (or similar) after trying contacts to simulate the results I would still need glasses to be happy.  I've just accepted that glasses work best. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/14/21 4:29 p.m.

Everything on the phone is swipe.  Swipe to go here, swipe to get that. When a call comes in and I'm looking on the net, a box pops up, answer or deny. Guess what I do? I swipe. That hangs up on the caller. Dafuq? Everything is swipe except this one thing. Guess how many people I've hung up on. Every berkeleying one of them.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/21 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I asked about contacts- they said that for where I am that it would be more trouble than it would be worth. Have seriously considered getting contacts for the distance prescription and reading glasses for closer-in. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
1/14/21 4:41 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

I'm right there with you, my distance vision with the new perscription is 20/15, but I spend so much time and money at the optometrist, it's a 2-3 hour ordeal every 6 months for my glaucoma monitoring, and they get so much money from me (that's a whole other rant) I expect to be able to see very well with my glasses.  I had them remake my basic lenses 3 times once before I was satisfied, I'm not looking forward to the number of revisits progressives are going to cause.

I'm already a klutz, and they cautioned me that it'll take time to get used to just walking with the progressive lenses, and I should be careful on stairs. indecision  That's just what I need.  So, Lee what brings you to the ER today?  Well doc, I got new glasses...

1/14/21 6:39 p.m.

Today I had a 2 hour break to read, a real treat because I'm pretty busy. Laid down, got comfy and.......my Fire won't work.

Went thru a bunch to get it going again thru customer service and guess how long that took? 2 hours 20 minutes.....so now I'm behind.

That was not the stress-free break it was supposed to be

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
1/14/21 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

When I reached bi-focal age, I stayed with contacts.  One for far vision in my right eye & one for near vision in my left.  It took a few days to aclimate well to this but it works well.  A side benefit was that I'm right handed but was left eyed.  Now I'm right handed & right eyed.  That helps with aiming firearms.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/21 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

It's been a worry of my mother and a few others for years. I have always had a rather dark sense of humor and am not always good at editing comments before I make them. 

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
1/14/21 9:35 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm 51, I tried both bifocals and graduated lenses over the last decade.  I tried graduated lenses first.  After a year I still couldn't stand them.  Paid for new bifoclas.  Another year and I still couldn't stand them.  I was always needing to look through the wrong part of the lens.  I now use the massively complicated technique of removing my glasses for reading, or if I'm feeling especially pimpy I just slide them up onto my head.  Yes I have to fight the ladies off then.  

Oh.  This!  So much this.  Last year I was told I should get progressive lenses.  I noped that and got distance and computer pairs.  Take off glasses to read phone/books.  

This year, pushed (guilted) into progressives.  After nearly a week of not being able to see anything right, I have bifocals a shot.  Every time I put them on after either sleeping OR working for 8 hours with my computer glasses, I am constantly looking through the wrong part of the lens.  

My wife says I'm stubborn.  I just want a clear field of vision for whatever I am doing.  I don't want some area clear and another blurry.  Ugh.  

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/21 11:31 a.m.

I swear my Mother is the most anxious person I know.  At least I get my anxiety honestly.  Right now her blood pressure is up because a tooth that lost it's filling last year might be beginning to hurt.  She won't even call the dentist, the idea of doing so sends her blood pressure through the roof.  At this point a tranqdart for taking down big game might be in order.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/15/21 11:59 a.m.

My wife has back pain and is doom scrolling all day while working at home. So yeah staying a the office fo the next several months seems like a better way to go about this then having my balls ripped off for not doing things she could do while stuck at home. We could go to the desert with our pod his weekend but pooping in the wilderness is apparently something she will not do. 

Seriously thinking of getting the bu on the trailer and just heading out by myself.

Also they finally got our group in to get vaccinated. You know the guys who worked on the virus and are still working on it and the appointment system is web based and terrible. I have signed up at least 20 times now for a spot and each time "no appointments available" is what pops up. I have to ype everything in every single time a spot opens up because the web designer does not allow auto populate. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/15/21 1:35 p.m.

Ugh I get to wait for a coronavirus test results. 

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
1/15/21 3:41 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Ugh I get to wait for a coronavirus test results. 

Hopefully negative results!  

1/16/21 11:53 a.m.

My favorite insulated boots were discontinued......again.

Everytime I buy boots they get discontinued, and it takes me forever to find another pair I like. These Georgia Boots have been fantastic too.

It's happened about a dozen times with shoes too, very berkeleying annoying. How hard is it to get a good work boot?!?

1/16/21 12:12 p.m.

Wait a sec, hold on to your butts here......I found a pair in stock, in my size.

It's from a weird store that only exists in North Dakota called Home of Economy but I ordered them anyway.

From Wikipedia it says they've been around since 1939 so it seems ok

1 ... 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vMsQzHqky6EYofyhKX3xBP7YFWksZ4ZzGB7PY6di2DGE3bHTfX7PmIkCDUEB4JQJ