1 ... 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 ... 1365
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
1/16/21 3:38 p.m.

I had to get my 4Runner inspected. They said, "Your brake pads are really worn. They're not failing yet, but you should change them as soon as possible. Your power steering and brake fluids are low and dirty. Your serpentine belt is worn. Your coolant is low and dirty. Your air filter and cabin filters are dirty."

I try to keep up with maintenance, but I've been doing a lot of towing lately. I did smell antifreeze the last time I drove around, and it was low when I checked it, but it's red Toyota fluid and it is pretty clean. The power steering fluid is due; it's three years old, but it's full at the cold line when cold. The serpentine belt is 5 years old, and I had it on the list. The air filters are due. BUT...

The brakes are 3 years old, and I did a full bleed when I replaced them, since one of the calipers was sticky. It's probably time to bleed the fluid again, but... it's clear and full. And the pads?

Fronts:

Rear:

Yeah, they're worn in the back, but I wouldn't call that critical, and the fronts look pretty good.

I'm torn- most of the things they suggested I did have on the list to handle, mainly due to age, but the brakes are a good profit item for them and they don't match what they were telling me at all. 
 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/16/21 3:39 p.m.

I snapped at the village idiot at work yesterday. Yes he earned it, it was a long time coming, and everyone there applauded , but it was very out of character for me. Like everyone keeps pointing out, the old me seems to be missing. I'd like it back as much as they would. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/16/21 3:49 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Ugh I get to wait for a coronavirus test results. 

Well my wife was positive but I was negative even though we had the same symptoms.

 

Hopefully the 7 month will be ok

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/16/21 3:51 p.m.
93EXCivic said:
93EXCivic said:

Ugh I get to wait for a coronavirus test results. 

Well my wife was positive but I was negative even though we had the same symptoms.

 

Hopefully the 7 month will be ok

Best of luck man

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/16/21 4:21 p.m.

One of the perks of going to Ohio to see family was always stopping at Summit and browsing the clearance section.  No more!  Its all been moved to Texas.  Boo!

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/16/21 4:24 p.m.

My wife got the C19 vaccine shot on Wednesday.  She's still sick...  At least 50% of the folks at her work that got it went home sick that day.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/16/21 5:54 p.m.

Today is migraine day apparently. It's one of those that makes the back of your throat and ears ache due to the stiff neck.

Ugh, I hate these crying

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/16/21 6:21 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

One of the perks of going to Ohio to see family was always stopping at Summit and browsing the clearance section.  No more!  Its all been moved to Texas.  Boo!

Sad day. Road trips over that way will be less fun now.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/16/21 8:17 p.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

aw damn angry

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/16/21 8:33 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

One of the perks of going to Ohio to see family was always stopping at Summit and browsing the clearance section.  No more!  Its all been moved to Texas.  Boo!

Discovered this last night as well.  I assume this is because Texas doesn't give a crap about COVID-related restrictions.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
1/16/21 11:37 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

It's cold in my garage. Not COLD, but 54 is still chilly. I'd rather sit under an afghan on the couch. Life is hard. 

i believe you are looking for this thread

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/first-world-problems-list-them-here/127023/page1/

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/17/21 1:52 p.m.

Son unit is 1/2 way through boot camp with the Air Force.  Both of his drill sergeants came up positive with Covid and of course my kid catches it too.  He gets ten days in a hotel room to quarantine and then restarts training where he left off with a new unit.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/17/21 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) :

State inspections are a money grab by the states and also a huge conflict of interest for the shops inspecting. 

Im glad I found an honest local shop to do my inspections. They also know they are wasting my time telling me unnecessary repairs because I'm going to fix it myself. Their honesty means when I need tires or services I can't do myself they are the only ones I call. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/17/21 4:05 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) :

Do you have to go back for a reinspection?  I'd make the boss check the brakes with you watching.

That is utter bullE36 M3, and makes all of us doing our best for customers look like thieves.  berkeley them.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/17/21 4:10 p.m.

Now to my niggling little hate.  I seldom use self checkouts, but today I had milk, carrots, tp  and aspirin, and there was a line for the real checkouts.

"Please take your purchases" every five seconds while I'm packing my bags.  Shut the berkeley up, I'm busy taking my purchases.  You can tell when I set my bags down before paying, write a berkeleying program that shuts the berkeley up while things are still moving.  Or, better yet, just shut the berkeley up.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/17/21 4:53 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Now to my niggling little hate.  I seldom use self checkouts, but today I had milk, carrots, tp  and aspirin, and there was a line for the real checkouts.

"Please take your purchases" every five seconds while I'm packing my bags.  Shut the berkeley up, I'm busy taking my purchases.  You can tell when I set my bags down before paying, write a berkeleying program that shuts the berkeley up while things are still moving.  Or, better yet, just shut the berkeley up.

I just drown out the unit yelling at me to take my purchases to the bagging area.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/17/21 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I've actually said, aloud, "STOP YELLING AT ME" to the machine. Chuckles from nearby customers ensued.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/17/21 5:08 p.m.

No wonder that everybody loves their cable monster.

After finally getting my hands on the correct modem, I was wondering why I wasn't getting the speeds that I thought I was paying for and that I had signed a new contract for.

Turns out that the sales person apparently couldn't tell Internet speed and Internet data volume apart - assuming that they didn't do this intentionally - so instead of signing up for a package with faster Internet speed, I signed up for one that removes the data limit. It took a rather patient CSR today to explain to me that what I thought I had signed up for doesn't actually exist and thus I couldn't have purchased it.

I guess I'll sleep on this and then decide how far on the berkeleying warpath I'm going to go with this, because I am more than capable of telling speed and volume apart, and I believe that they did tell me the call was recorded.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
1/18/21 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not one to believe in much in the way of superstition or anything of the likes- but I've come to realize that it does really seem like the universe is out to get The Dancer for some reason. If I don't check her food orders when I pick them up for take-out they will invariably have something wrong (and often do when I do check too), and it's a given that if she really likes something food-wise or clothes-wise, it is going to be discontinued. My food orders are rarely messed up, and (unless it's something that she also really likes) it's rare that things I like get discontinued...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/18/21 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Remember that lucky guy, never got nabbed speeding, guessed on a test and got an A, found a screaming deal on Craigslist? The whole universe must have balance. 

Some of us get the E36 M3 end of the stick to offset Mr. Lucky .

 

My rant: MIL, who I love dearly, begins to talk politics. Complete opposite of where I typically lean.  Saying things that have actual, tangible proof to the contrary. 

No, no, no, do not engage. 

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/18/21 3:07 p.m.

I don't log in here for like... 5 years, and am pleasantly surprised to find my password still works... and how many long running threads are still on the 1st page of Latest Topics... So familiar. Like I never even left for half a decade.

But then... who renamed Sprockets!!?  

 

APEowner
APEowner Dork
1/18/21 4:55 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

I had to get my 4Runner inspected. They said, "Your brake pads are really worn. They're not failing yet, but you should change them as soon as possible. Your power steering and brake fluids are low and dirty. Your serpentine belt is worn. Your coolant is low and dirty. Your air filter and cabin filters are dirty."

I try to keep up with maintenance, but I've been doing a lot of towing lately. I did smell antifreeze the last time I drove around, and it was low when I checked it, but it's red Toyota fluid and it is pretty clean. The power steering fluid is due; it's three years old, but it's full at the cold line when cold. The serpentine belt is 5 years old, and I had it on the list. The air filters are due. BUT...

The brakes are 3 years old, and I did a full bleed when I replaced them, since one of the calipers was sticky. It's probably time to bleed the fluid again, but... it's clear and full. And the pads?

Fronts:

Rear:

Yeah, they're worn in the back, but I wouldn't call that critical, and the fronts look pretty good.

I'm torn- most of the things they suggested I did have on the list to handle, mainly due to age, but the brakes are a good profit item for them and they don't match what they were telling me at all. 
 

That kind of thing really ticks me off.  It makes it extra hard to be an honest mechanic.  I used to be a licensed NYS safety inspector and I can't tell you how many times I was accused of trying to rip off customers.  I'm sure it's because they'd been ripped off in the past. 

I don't know about where you are but NY used to take that kind of thing very seriously.  I'd report them to the department of motor vehicles or whatever governing body oversees inspections.

APEowner
APEowner Dork
1/18/21 4:57 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I snapped at the village idiot at work yesterday. Yes he earned it, it was a long time coming, and everyone there applauded , but it was very out of character for me. Like everyone keeps pointing out, the old me seems to be missing. I'd like it back as much as they would. 

Hey Wally - I'm sorry that you're still struggling but really buddy, it hasn't been that long and it seems to me like you're doing about as well as can be expected.  Getting back to happy is a marathon not a sprint.  Hang in there and keep doing all the things.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/18/21 5:33 p.m.

Grape Nuts cereal is not available for a few weeks now at our local grocery store. 

Anyone else notice?

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/18/21 5:39 p.m.
RossD said:

Grape Nuts cereal is not available for a few weeks now at our local grocery store. 

Anyone else notice?

There's been a few weird shortages here. Once there was no Budweiser in afew stores. I don't drink bud but when have you ever seen them be totally gone?

 

Bacon bits is another thing that disappears

1 ... 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 ... 1365
Our Preferred Partners
hH1AtWBJ5KeJDyTE2MnOtYu6cTgMrOggCjgGiHj57KFh4UEvoOdWapdOA8dyw1GC