1 ... 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 ... 1926
Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/19/21 2:03 p.m.

Should be sleeping (working graveyard tonight), but I'm sitting around waiting for FedEx to show up with a package that got sent 'signature required' for who knows why.  And I know the FedEx guy is a stealthy bastard... he won't knock loud enough to wake me up and I'll be chasing the package for a week....

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/19/21 2:39 p.m.

Can we please have 5 measly minutes without a berkeleying screaming fit. Please.

"Oh she just needs a big hug from papa bear"

That's how you get kicked in the balls, not falling for that E36 M3 again.

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
1/19/21 2:44 p.m.
Duke said:
cyow5 said:

I'm irked that EBC is taking two weeks to get me a rotor with the set screw drilled in the correct place. How do you screw that up on a '14 Mini? It's not like it is either rare or new to market.

That's only used as a convenience during assembly.  I thought it was fairly common practice to just ditch the damn things once you finally got them out of the hub.

If it was more important, I'd put it in the Major Rant Thread ;) 

But yes, just for convenience, and definitely I ditch them on my cars with studs. This one uses bolts though, and I am mostly irked that a major manufacturer can't drill a hole in the right spot. Seems like something they should've a) never screwed up and b) caught quickly in QC. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/19/21 3:10 p.m.

I keep getting missed calls from someone named "Maybe Junk". Rather unfortunate name. Oh well, they'll call back if it's important. 

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

10 months of successfully keeping the office healthy while everyone is working in and out of every hospital in the region. 

Business partner is at home and isn't feeling well. His wife and son's girlfriend tested positive for Covid yesterday.

I guess we will be finding out how well we have been staying away from each other and keeping the office clean. 

sad

Saturday evening I thought it had got me. Stuffy head, aches, sore throat, though no fever and no loss of taste or smell. Sunday I was down hard and slept a lot of the day. My business partner is still out sick as a dog so I went in Monday morning and cleaned/disinfected the office like normal, told everyone to stay away from me and got everyone out the door and working. This morning I was feeling pretty normal but still stopped up a little. Today I went in and had a rapid COVID test done. Negative. It's just a cold. 

I guess that's not really a rant, but an update.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/21 4:45 p.m.

Update on the brake inspection fiasco:

First: the car *did* pass inspection, but they had about $700 worth of maintenance items they flagged to get done.

I went to the shop yesterday with the photos and showed them to the owner. He pulled the paperwork for my car and (oddly enough) the brake pads were not listed as an item on the printout. *Brake Fluid* was. I think some wires got crossed between the techs and the desk folks. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/19/21 4:50 p.m.

10 months of successfully keeping the office healthy while everyone is working in and out of every hospital in the region. 

Business partner is at home and isn't feeling well. His wife and son's girlfriend tested positive for Covid yesterday.

I guess we will be finding out how well we have been staying away from each other and keeping the office clean. 

sad

Saturday evening I thought it had got me. Stuffy head, aches, sore throat, though no fever and no loss of taste or smell. Sunday I was down hard and slept a lot of the day. My business partner is still out sick as a dog so I went in Monday morning and cleaned/disinfected the office like normal, told everyone to stay away from me and got everyone out the door and working. This morning I was feeling pretty normal but still stopped up a little. Today I went in and had a rapid COVID test done. Negative. It's just a cold. 

I guess that's not really a rant, but an update.

Rapid tests have a pretty high false-negative rate. If you don't get tested at just the right time, and I forget what the range is, it will definitely show up negative. 

EDIT: Not trying to say you had it. Sounds like any standard cold, especially without the loss of taste/smell. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/19/21 6:36 p.m.

I get mail for people who don't live here. It's not that rare, and not that big a problem. I either stamp or sharpie them with "RETURN TO SENDER - UNKNOWN AT ADDRESS." 

They come back a week later.

I mark them again.

They come back.

I write in huge letters.

They come back.

I mark out the barcode.

They come back.

I am now at the "black out everything that isn't the return address" level. They don't have to go home, but these letters cannot stay here.

wae
wae UberDork
1/20/21 5:32 a.m.

Apparently some people don't pronounce the name of this cookie as "cock dee ass"

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, I read somewhere that the false negatives could run as high as 50% and false positives in the 15-20% range.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/20/21 7:03 a.m.

Day three of this. Still thinking its a cold due to having taste and smell, and no significant fever.

But i feel like chrome plated E36 M3 and im berkeleying grumpy....

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/20/21 8:07 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Day three of this. Still thinking its a cold due to having taste and smell, and no significant fever.

But i feel like chrome plated E36 M3 and im berkeleying grumpy....

Man, I hate to break it to you, but I believe that was a false negative, especially if there is someone else positive in the house.  The fast test is notoriuos for false negatives.

I tested positive for COVID.  I never really lost taste or smell, and I only had a slight fever for one day.  It just felt like I was a little chilly.  Never had a real cough or chest congestion of any kind.

But I had very low energy and I was sore all over.

I strongly suggest you get a PCR test.  They are over 90% accurate (both pos and neg), results take 48 hours or so, and they don't need to do the deep nasal thing.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/20/21 8:54 a.m.

Because Samsung and Google can't play nice and just let me have my Damn visual voicemail, this is what I have to do to actually check my voicemail. 

Why this way instead of calling? Because calling days to get into a Google subdomain that doesn't exist to setup a pin. 

Still no transcription, which I'm annoyed by, but at least I can get to my voicemail again. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/20/21 9:02 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

To my knowledge,  i haven't been around any covid positive people in about three weeks. 

Last covid test, two weeks ago,  was tbe long wait one. However,  i think I'll make the appointment. Might've caught it getting gas or in cvs or something. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/20/21 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Oh, sorry, I was confusing you with Toyman.  My apologies.

However, I did feel exactly like you seem to and for me it was COVID.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/21 9:09 a.m.

Oh, one more weird thing that we can't find food-wise: Nacho-cheese stand-and-stuff taco shells. Haven't been able to find the shells on their own for months, and now the taco kits that include them are gone too.

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/20/21 11:10 a.m.

So, the package with my shock mounts was marked as delivered yesterday to/at my mailbox at 12:41 PM. At 3 PM I checked my mailbox and there was just several letters. The Post Office is saying it was delivered to the right address. My mailbox is 4/10 mile from my house along with a dozen other mailboxes. If it got stuck in one of my neighbors boxes, they haven't let me know. The second part of my rant is that I am having knee replacement done tomorrow and won't be able to work on the car to replace the broken shock mount if and when it arrives.

wae
wae UberDork
1/20/21 11:33 a.m.

I don't know how I managed to do this, but I ordered the RWD version of the brake kit instead of the 4WD version.  D'oh.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/21 11:51 a.m.

When I had the E46 in the garage one of the things that I did was to replace a bracket that had rusted out that kept the exhaust from rattling. Took it out over the weekend to run some errands with The Dancer and were almost overwhelmed by the smell of exhaust. Took a look at the exhaust last night, and sure enough there's clearly a gap between the headers downpipe and the rest of the exhaust at the joint (where I had already needed to add in a spacer to get everything to meet up. Ordered a few more gaskets to see if I can get it to seal up properly... hopefully I don't have to give up and take it to an exhaust shop to modify the exhaust.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/20/21 12:47 p.m.

Stupid 7 year old 3D printer at the office is finally dying. At least I can get a resin once I get though all the paperwork to order a new only. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
1/20/21 1:26 p.m.

Every time some automaker files for a trademark the press always goes all atwitter with unofficial renderings and wild rumors andthat that vehicle is coming back that people take as the gospel truth. Right now its the Ford Thunderbird. That's. Not. How. It. Works. They are just filing to keep the trademark so that there isn't a Kia Thunderbird or a Dodge Thunderbird or a Tesla Thunderbird. I remember a few years back, GM filed for the Grand National trademark and some dealership was taking hundreds of pre-orders for a 2022 Buick Grand National that GM had never said they were building and had no intention of building and GM finally had to step in and say "It's not happening. Now give the people back their money". A few years before that it was the Ford Torino. Like Ford was going to market a second V8 RWD 2-door coupe alongside the Mustang. Drives me up the frigging wall. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/20/21 1:44 p.m.
NickD said:

Every time some automaker files for a trademark the press always goes all atwitter with unofficial renderings and wild rumors andthat that vehicle is coming back that people take as the gospel truth. Right now its the Ford Thunderbird. That's. Not. How. It. Works. They are just filing to keep the trademark so that there isn't a Kia Thunderbird or a Dodge Thunderbird or a Tesla Thunderbird. I remember a few years back, GM filed for the Grand National trademark and some dealership was taking hundreds of pre-orders for a 2022 Buick Grand National that GM had never said they were building and had no intention of building and GM finally had to step in and say "It's not happening. Now give the people back their money". A few years before that it was the Ford Torino. Like Ford was going to market a second V8 RWD 2-door coupe alongside the Mustang. Drives me up the frigging wall. 

I used to eat lunch with a guy at State Farm. Part of his job was to monitor domain names; SF owned something like 300 of them - most of them were typos of state farm so you still got the right place. 

My rant related to that: The amount of times I've typed in Nissan.com is far too many. At least once every 2 years I make that same mistake. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/21/21 2:15 a.m.

Failbook should have a button to respond "Are you actually interested?" to all the idiots who click on "Is this available?", never to be heard from again.  And I thought CL was a E36 M3 show...

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/21 10:02 a.m.

I have to go to the dentist today.

I berkeleying hate going to the dentist

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/21/21 10:58 a.m.

I haven't been to the dentist in years and I really need to go. I have chunks missing from a few teeth that need filled.

1 ... 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ueip5Augp8fgoLc7fuL24oRSBT4WUQiUJhPTjTCKkMKtGmXCCzojGGkvDzF24Uwr