1 ... 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 ... 1926
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/21 7:23 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to NickD :

Website wouldn't load for me unless I enabled GPS tracking.  Nope.

Yet Giant Purple Snorklewacker is posting again. Coincidence?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/21 9:05 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

4. Ground Bison- we would make burgers from the Laura's Ground Bison, and when I asked the meat dept. about it they said they've not seen any of it for the better part of a year.

Laura fell in. Didn't you notice hair in the last pack?

WHO DO YOU THINK'S IN THE BURGER?

Canadian kids should recognize.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
1/23/21 6:42 p.m.

Why, in the futuristic year of 2021, do automotive batteries still use antiquated lead posts with clamp terminals? Couldn't side post have caught on? Or could I have top terminals with a male threaded stud or female threaded boss? Everything about lead or brass clamp-on terminals for top post batteries sucks, the factory soldered ones suck just a little less but the aftermarket ones are an absolute disaster. 
I might be more angry about this because I have two cars that have needed lots of battery attention in the past year or two, but I'm cross-referencing side post batteries that will fit and then I'm going to order an assortment of copper cable lugs and a heavy duty crimper and do away with the clamp-on terminals forever.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/21 7:02 p.m.

In reply to newrider3 :

I am very happy that GM has done away with side terminal batteries.  They work loose, they strip, and they leak.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/21 10:46 p.m.

There's daily, 2020-ish drunk and then there's 2021 vacation drunk.  Another Gin and tonic?  I don't mind at all....

At least the pool is open and the kids are excited for tomorrow.

Now if only the 2-year old will go sleep, he screamed for a good 10-minutes.  I hate being "those people" while on vacation, but he needs to sleep in the pack n play because he'll likely fall out of the twin bed that his sister is sleeping in.  Unfortunately he wants to do everything she does, including sleeping in a big kids bed.

the wife is just about useless as she's had her second COVID vaccine dose and she's wiped out.  If sleepiness and a little soreness is all that it is?  It's worth it in the long run.

and now the youngest is sleeping in our bed.  Great.  So much for quality time!

at least where we’re staying has a charge station for the van, which helps with mileage, etc.

sooo time to unwind with the last of my G&T and Bad Boys on TV.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/24/21 10:09 a.m.

I'm so tired of playing the ISP "what's my bill going to be this month?" game. For 2 years, my bill has been $59.99/month. This month, it's $74.99. No change in service or plan but the discounts changed. I have a middle tier internet plan and wanted to drop down to the lowest tier because $75 a month is ridiculous. The CS rep told me that with the current discounted pricing, I'm paying the same as the lowest tier would cost.

I absolutely hate these promo price games. So I went to check out Fios. The lowest plan is $39.99/month plus all the taxes and fees. I'm sure this is a new customer promo but whatever. I go to check out if it's available at my address and:

Huh, that's funny. IF ITS NOT AVAILABLE HERE, THEN WHY IS THERE A VERIZON ONT IN MY GARAGE?!

All ISPs are the berkeleying devil.

1/24/21 10:37 a.m.

Upon further investigation, it appears that Verizon pulled out of California, Texas and Florida in 2015. VZ sold their wireline operations in those states to Frontier.

*shudder*

I'd rather light my genitals on fire than get service from Frontier.

Looks like I'm stuck with Spectrum frown

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/24/21 10:53 a.m.

Very minor but.....wtf is up with Wandavision?

I get they are trying to build up a story but doing batE36 M3 LSD in black and white and then needing a month of episodes for an explanation seems like a stupid idea.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/24/21 11:52 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I get they are trying to build up a story but doing batE36 M3 LSD in black and white and then needing a month of episodes for an explanation seems like a stupid idea.

You're watching, though, aren't you? cheeky

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/24/21 12:00 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

For me, not after the first 15 minutes.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/24/21 12:12 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

You're watching, though, aren't you? cheeky

Not really, I think I'm done with it regardless

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/21 12:17 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to newrider3 :

I am very happy that GM has done away with side terminal batteries.  They work loose, they strip, and they leak.

me too.  Side Posts may be "antiquated" but they are foolproof and universal.  They only need to last a few more years till all cars are electric anyway.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
1/24/21 2:13 p.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

*Top Posts may be "antiquated" but they are foolproof and universal.  

Except that the clamp terminals for top post batteries all blow. The square head carriage bolt spins the second time you try to tighten or loosen the terminal, so then you need two wrenches. The clamp bore is either too tight, or too loose and the clamp ears pinch together and bend themselves/bend the bolt when tightening. In cars that sit they grow corrosion everywhere. The aftermarket replacement clamps with bolt-on cable termination grow even more corrosion and let the cable corrode way back under the insulation.

Heavy equipment and heavy trucks get batteries with threaded studs, why can't other stuff? I'm getting one of these big heavy motherberkeleyers for my F100 and never thinking about it again.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/21 3:39 p.m.

That "compatible" UV light I need for our well system would be a heck of a lot more compatible if it had a connector on it that would actually match the OEM one. Yeah, I could modify the connector but why should I have to if the seller tells me it fits? Of course it's been sitting in the mechanical room since last year and muggins here didn't check, because I had to buy an OEM one anyway as the aftermarket company took forever to ship.

Yes, I should've checked a bit sooner than a few days before the other bulb expires. Guess we'll deal with the beeping for another week or so. I'll stick to the OEM bulbs in the future.

1/24/21 3:56 p.m.

Went to change the red and green led light bulbs back to white bulbs in the light fixtures by the garage and was greeted with this:

Yum! I had to shoo them out of the fixture. Even though I rent this dump, I'm seriously considering replacing the light fixtures because toad E36 M3 is berkeleying disgusting.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/21 9:36 p.m.

Ugh!!! After weeks of almost total silence we had a couple two minute conversations this weekend. After three months of aggressive treatment there's really been no change.  I'm heartbroken for her and her daughter. I'm still trying to be optimistic and help her stay upbeat but she just sounds so sad. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/21 9:59 p.m.

Came home to find the house 8 degrees below set point and the furnace not running.

Took it apart, removed, and correctly diagnosed a bad inducer motor. I can order the OE part for $130 online but it will be Tuesday before I can get it here.

Called the company that installed the furnace, told them the problem, and gave them the p/n. No problem, they have one on the truck, tech will be there in an hour. There's a $149 service call fee. No problemo.

Tech arrives, immediately confirms my diagnosis, and goes to his iPad to quite the repair.

$1100 PLUS the service call fee.

You're berking kidding me. No problem with the service charge; trucks and techs are not free. But there is no berking way I am paying $950 in labor for 10 minutes' work. It is literally attached to the furnace with 4 screws immediately behind the front panel.

if he had quoted me $500 to install it I would have happily paid. Hell, I'd have paid him $500 for the part and installed it myself.  Instead I thanked him for his time and told him his bosses are morons.

Guess we're sleeping with all the cats tonight. 

wae
wae UberDork
1/24/21 10:04 p.m.

Swapped the side mirror on my wife's MZ5.  Three bolts and a connector.  Super easy, barely an inconvenience.  Until I dropped one of the bolts down into the door panel and had to take that off in order to fish it back out.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/21 10:14 p.m.
Duke said:

Came home to find the house 8 degrees below set point and the furnace not running.

Took it apart, removed, and correctly diagnosed a bad inducer motor. I can order the OE part for $130 online but it will be Tuesday before I can get it here.

Called the company that installed the furnace, told them the problem, and gave them the p/n. No problem, they have one on the truck, tech will be there in an hour. There's a $149 service call fee. No problemo.

Tech arrives, immediately confirms my diagnosis, and goes to his iPad to quite the repair.

You're berking kidding me. No problem with the service charge; trucks and techs are not free. But there is no berking way I am paying $950 in labor for 10 minutes' work. It is literally attached to the furnace with 4 screws immediately behind the front panel.

if he had quoted me $500 to install it I would have happily paid. Hell, I'd have paid him $500 for the part and installed it myself.  Instead I thanked him for his time and told him his bosses are morons.

I'd have called the shop and asked them what kind of crack they're smoking, advised them what I would have paid and asked them if they wanted the money or not.

No, on second thought you did it correctly. That's crazy.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/24/21 11:35 p.m.

This quarantining for Covid is driving me nuts. I can't fall asleep at night anymore. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/21 12:02 a.m.

I finally bought the Milwaukee heated gloves I've been watching for months. Good lord these are unimpressively made. Specifically, the finger fit is a little off, and the "Red Lithium USB" battery, charger, and battery holders. MicroUSB on a $180 pair of gloves? In 2021? And a Y-cable to charge two batteries off a single port USB-A wall brick with just 1.1A output? The battery system feels like an under-engineered solution looking for a problem.

Otoh, I've been trying thicker and thicker gloves with no change in my ability to keep feeling in my hands, so it'll be nice if they can keep blood in my fingers for more than twenty minutes. I guess I'll learn when I shovel tomorrow afternoon.

Duke said:

This is why I have an emergency source of heat and cooling in my garage. Service companies will absolutely bend you over a barrel when you are in a hurry to get things repaired. The ability to take the time to order parts or shop the price is well worth the $500 in appliances I have sitting in the garage. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/25/21 7:30 a.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

For shoveling, take a page out of Bernies book and get some mittens. If you need dexterity for short amounts of time, glittens. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/21 8:07 a.m.

My entire day today was a pre-sold axle from an inspection last week, and a rear O2 sensor on an inspection on Friday.  No opportunity to build the day, in other words, and jack for work to do.

The axle customer called to cancel at 8.

The O2 sensor, which is not available from anyone anywhere and has to be ordered, is not coming because the dealership forgot to place the order on Friday.

So much for working today...

wae
wae UberDork
1/25/21 10:05 a.m.

I don't know if this is technically a rant, but I want to know who let their kid come to work and help illustrate the Mazda parts catalogue:

For the record, it's supposed to look like this:

1 ... 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O3FWylK9F6sEcWdIdLECRS8CfEVqttBk8LZhbSZl06VqYqOYP0eEkS5DW7ZXVr04