1 ... 581 582 583 584 585 ... 1926
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/17 10:57 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Keep trying to convince myself that a diesel Colorado should be my next truck. Fits like it was made for me. Nice interior, everything w/ in reach. Cloth/ leatherette seats are surprisingly OK and there's a luxury package w/ heated leather seats for the win. LT or Z71 would work fine but.... the box is too damn small. E36 M3, the full size 6.5' box is a compromise at times, it's a truck... C'mon man.

I enjoyed the 6.5' of my dakota, but now that I have a full size 8' bed on my 2500 Cummins, I see what I was missing out on. I put 5 sheets of plywood in the back and flipped the tonneau cover back down. (Granted a fairly small load.) It all fit in the bed with nothing sicking out! Amazing!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/17/17 1:07 p.m.

Just got a text from my little sister. Apparently she just filed for a divorce. I like he husband, they have two little kids together, a successful business partnership, and have "appeared" to be as happy and content as any couple one would meet.

She says that they are going to remain close for the sake of the kids but we know how those arrangements usually go.

It annoys me mostly because she claims she hasn't been/isn't "happy". Hate to tell you sis, your partner is never going to be the source of your happiness. That comes from within, adding divorce to the business of a family isn't going to help.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/17 1:59 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Just got a text from my little sister. Apparently she just filed for a divorce. I like he husband, they have two little kids together, a successful business partnership, and have "appeared" to be as happy and content as any couple one would meet. She says that they are going to remain close for the sake of the kids but we know how those arrangements usually go. It annoys me mostly because she claims she hasn't been/isn't "happy". Hate to tell you sis, your partner is never going to be the source of your happiness. That comes from within, adding divorce to the business of a family isn't going to help.

That’s too bad KyAllroad.

Not to judge anyone but for me, divorce pretty much isn’t an option when there are kids involved that aren’t yet grown.

I liken having kids to the difference between driving and flying…when driving (no kids), you have the option of pulling over if you’re lost, have mechanical issues, encounter bad weather, etc….when flying (have kids), you either work through issues to get to a suitable landing site (kids grown) or roll it up in a flaming ball (disintegration of the family).

Again, that’s just me and maybe my thinking would change given sufficiently horrendous circumstances.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/17/17 2:17 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Had a strikingly similar situation with a very good friend of the family recently. They have three kids, ages range from grade school to just graduating high school. The wife decided she "just wasn't happy." OK, so get happy - therapy, anti-depressants, exercise? Running from your family isn't going to make that happen. Nope, divorce, done with 18 years of marriage. They have to sell their house, liquidate tools and toys and the kids are now bouncing between mom and dad. Ugh.

One couple we know got a divorce and they let the kids stay in one house and the parents bounce back and forth between houses/apartments. At least that puts the kids and their stability first. The kids aren't the ones that screwed up - why make them run around?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/17/17 2:27 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven': Agreed, suck it up and make things work. The kids should take priority.

In reply to dculberson: I think they are planning to try something along those lines, but that path seems just chock full of pitfalls and landmines that can lead to hurt feelings and resentments.

I got divorced 6 years ago under very similar situation: seemingly good marriage, two young kids, recently purchased "assets" for the wife, and it all falls apart when "she" isn't happy.

tldr: don't buy implants for your wife, it's the fastest way to get divorced I've ever heard of. YMMV

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/17/17 2:36 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: In reply to RX Reven': Agreed, suck it up and make things work. The kids should take priority. In reply to dculberson: I think they are planning to try something along those lines, but that path seems just chock full of pitfalls and landmines that can lead to hurt feelings and resentments. I got divorced 6 years ago under very similar situation: seemingly good marriage, two young kids, recently purchased "assets" for the wife, and it all falls apart when "she" isn't happy. tldr: don't buy implants for your wife, it's the fastest way to get divorced I've ever heard of. YMMV

this story makes me more and more sad each time I see it

RX Reven'
1/17/17 2:47 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: tldr: don't buy implants for your wife, it's the fastest way to get divorced I've ever heard of. YMMV

The destruction of my first marriage began with a medical device as well “glasses”…you could either say her optometrist filled her prescription for love or that she had been bonin’ for bifocals depending on how raunchy you like your historical recollections.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/17 10:30 p.m.

Irony hurts. A couple of days before Christmas I finally bit the bullet and replaced my elderly Galaxy S4 Mini with a snazzy new Galaxy S7 Edge. One of things I dislike about new phones is that they are too slippery. To combat this, I went to bestbuy and bought an ottercase for it. As I was pulling the phone out to put it in the case, I dropped it and shattered the "glass" back on it. The front is ok, but it figures I would finally drop it while trying to get it into something to protect it.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/18/17 11:06 p.m.

This isn't a rant but I didn't want to start a thread in Off Topic so heres it goes.

Five nights or so over the past few weeks a bronze-ish/orange-ish 2008-ish Chevy Avalanche has re-enacted the movie Duel with me. I'll be buzzing along in Turtle (My high-mile, haggard, OBS) which is very easy to pick out of a crowd due to it's white lower grille block (ala EcoModder) and I'll notice said Avalanche sitting on the shoulder. Then, shortly after I pass it will pull out and come zooming up, pass me and pull over about a mile up the road to wait again.

At first I thought maybe this was just another bored idiot like myself trying to inject a little fun into his existence. Then it kept happening and went from kind of funny to kind of creepy. I thought of pulling up behind the truck to ask what the deal was but I don't know, something just doesn't feel right.

The route I take home has a few roads that split off and take a more circuitous route to arrive at the same town, where I live. Tonight one of the times he passed me he sat on an access road that parallels the main route and would enable him to shoot down whichever road I happened too choose. Weird.

So I zipped ahead and ducked into a dark, wooded area along the road and waited. Sure enough, about 5 minutes later he went by. I waited a bit then continued home. He was waiting a few miles down the road.

"Well," I said to myself, "I'm too old for this E36 M3." And with that I stopped by the local P.D. tonight and reported the weirdness along with the vehicle description and plates.

Maybe tomorrow I'll take the Vic and see if he follows me. If he does we may have a problem.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/19/17 3:39 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

Piss anybody off lately?... even inadvertently, people is frickin' nuts anymore. Maybe mistaken identify. But damn, that is creepy.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/19/17 5:51 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed: Dude, that is seriously weird. Not to sound overly macho or anything but I'd start carrying something more effective than a cell phone until that gets resolved. Keep us updated please!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/19/17 7:15 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

That E36 M3 is berkeleyed up. Glad to hear that you reported it to the po-po. Please keep us posted.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/19/17 7:25 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

Weird. Definitely keep us updated!

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/19/17 7:30 a.m.

Better carry a nug

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/17 8:24 a.m.

Doing my usual of reading CNN while things on my work computer spool up to be able to do actual work, I find this as the last sentence in an article:

Republicans control both sides of Capitol Hill, meaning even if Democrats object -- which is unlikely to happen en masse for Perry -- there power to stop his appointment is limited.

OK, really? You're ostensibly one of the biggest news organizations in the country, and you can't hire a berking proofreader so you don't embarrass yourself by using 'there' when you should have used 'their'? Do you need to start hiring engineers instead of English majors to do their proofreading?

/grammar Nazi engineer rant over

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/19/17 8:25 a.m.

Heath questionnaires are odd. Based on the questions, it appears that this country is in an epidemic of stress.

I don't stress out much, and my job isn't stressful. So I have no plans to address something that I don't feel is a problem.

But apparently I should. odd.

Ashyukun
1/19/17 8:37 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Heath questionnaires are odd. Based on the questions, it appears that this country is in an epidemic of stress. I don't stress out much, and my job isn't stressful. So I have no plans to address something that I don't feel is a problem. But apparently I should. odd.

Yeah, the new tracking app/site that our health plan uses for incentives has a daily tracker for 'mood', it's weird.

Related rant... the new incentives are based on daily activities, and it's much easier to accomplish them with an activity tracker like a FitBit or the likes. Since my Pebble Time was essentially obsolete due to Pebble closing down and them listing what I wanted to upgrade to- the Apple Watch- as one of the supported devices, I figured that since the incentives would cover the cost of the new smartwatch it made good sense to go ahead and upgrade.

Get the new watch and find out that the main reason I got it- tracking my activity by movement/heartrate vs just steps (meaning if I'm doing something that doesn't involve steps like lifting weights it counts it)- apparently isn't supported by the app with the Apple Watch, it only uses the step-tracking. >_<

Granted I'm quite happy with the upgraded smartwatch- but it's annoying that it was misleading in their (the health company) seeming to indicate that it could be used for more than they actually use it for.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/19/17 11:02 a.m.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted, assuming Rictus Erectus doesn't run me over with his Avalanche.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/17 1:01 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: I'll definitely keep everyone posted, assuming Rictus Erectus doesn't run me over with his Avalanche.

it's a shame you couldn't have the cops follow you in an unmarked to see this in action.

As for my own rant. I am all but done putting in a whole new exhaust system in my Rover. Magnaflow from exhaust manifolds to tailpipe.. and they didn't supply the two bolts that bolt the front half to the backhalf. REALLY? I spent $1200 for this system and you couldn't throw in two sets of bolts, nuts, and washers?!?

wae
wae Dork
1/19/17 1:12 p.m.

What is so hard to understand about a simple requirement from your direct manager that you need to be in the office during regular hours three days a week and you need to show up to appointments with coworkers and customers on time? You make six figures a year and you're going to make me fire your sorry butt because you can't be bothered to show up for a meeting with a million-plus dollar prospect.

I just don't understand some people.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/19/17 3:31 p.m.
wae wrote: What is so hard to understand about a simple requirement from your direct manager that you need to be in the office during regular hours three days a week and you need to show up to appointments with coworkers and customers on time? You make six figures a year and you're going to make me fire your sorry butt because you can't be bothered to show up for a meeting with a million-plus dollar prospect. I just don't understand some people.

Umm, can I have their job?

Ashyukun
1/19/17 3:38 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote:
wae wrote: What is so hard to understand about a simple requirement from your direct manager that you need to be in the office during regular hours three days a week and you need to show up to appointments with coworkers and customers on time? You make six figures a year and you're going to make me fire your sorry butt because you can't be bothered to show up for a meeting with a million-plus dollar prospect. I just don't understand some people.
Umm, can I have their job?

Don't you mean 'there'?

RX Reven'
1/19/17 3:51 p.m.

I just gave my computer monitor double barrel middle fingers while making a Trump style lower lip bite expression…I was booking a flight through our corporate travel app and it gave me a bunch of E36 M3 about spending $23.57 more than the “lowest reasonable fare”.

I capitulated to the app’s demands last December and wound up spending the entire night sitting in the terminal at SFO. When I override the app’s recommendation just now, a message popped up saying “we’re going to tattle on you to your boss” so out came my guns…even used them to hit the select button; hard.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
1/19/17 3:58 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

I'd bet the Vic would discourage such shenanigans.

Ever since I got the Mazda2, I've noted a LOT of aggression from the brodozer crowd. I guess they feel insecure and need to compensate for...something.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/19/17 4:15 p.m.

I just found out that a woman I'd gone to high school with and been a casual FB friend of for years, died last night. I wasn't overly close with her but it's amazing how disorienting it feels to have one of your friends and peers die. Old people are supposed to die, not healthy 40 somethings.

1 ... 581 582 583 584 585 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8XPFIKj6Z1VrgiE0KXAhCPnDaGcDm8QylDCFEVouWrAhqkNbyyYRrQwQkVcEYjn9