1 ... 582 583 584 585 586 ... 1925
Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/17 4:28 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: I just found out that a woman I'd gone to high school with and been a casual FB friend of for years, died last night. I wasn't overly close with her but it's amazing how disorienting it feels to have one of your friends and peers die. Old people are supposed to die, not healthy 40 somethings.

Had a good friend and co-worker die suddenly when we were all in our early thirties. One day he was there, the next, he was gone.

Have a couple of Facebook friends of similar ago to me pass on, its weird to come across their profiles from time to time. Worst, one of them passed shortly after his first child was born, so his widow tags him in photos of the baby as it grows up. Having our own first born around the same time and of similar age, its absolutely heart breaking to see the posts.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/17 10:16 p.m.

I'd like to have a solid night stand charging solution that isn't a tangle of crazy wires. Everything succumbs to some edge case after a week or two. I actually bought a new night stand with wire management, and it keeps going to hell. On top of that, my crazy expensive Anker Poweline+ microUSB cable stopped working on my phone. They all fail, so I bought the nicest one I could find. It's only about three months old.

Looking forward to taking it all apart again.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/20/17 1:47 a.m.

How the berkeley do you justify a quarter of a million dollars for a station wagon?!?!?!?! 4 rings, that's how.

Nice car though, I enjoyed the privelage of driving it.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
1/20/17 2:18 a.m.

Got my W-2 today.
I earned juuuuuust enough more this year to jump up a tax bracket and get an extra - not insignificant - chunk yanked by Uncle Sam.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/20/17 9:13 a.m.

My wife just got a new-to-her work vehicle. A 05 Suburban. I am still pretty enthusiastic because I want a full size SUV (currently '14 Grand Cherokee) and this might help her realize the utility of it. But...

As I was installing the forward facing car seat and the infant carrier's base, I was astonished at what I found. On the 2nd row bench seat (no capt chairs), there is only the latch system attachment points on the passenger side and in the middle.

So let me get this straight.

If you bought a 2005 suburban to haul your family, you can't get three kids in car seats in the second row. You'd need to crawl in the back for the third. But here is the really stupid part, the smaller split of the bench is on the passenger side, not the driver's side and there's already a car seat installed there. So you can't even drop the single side to get to the back. You'd have to crawl over the seat to strap a kid in. Lastly there is only one latch attachment in the 3rd row, so you could only have three kid seats anyway.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/17 9:36 a.m.
RossD wrote: My wife just got a new-to-her work vehicle. A 05 Suburban. I am still pretty enthusiastic because I want a full size SUV (currently '14 Grand Cherokee) and this might help her realize the utility of it. But... As I was installing the forward facing car seat and the infant carrier's base, I was astonished at what I found. On the 2nd row bench seat (no capt chairs), there is only the latch system attachment points on the passenger side and in the middle. So let me get this straight. If you bought a 2005 suburban to haul your family, you can't get three kids in car seats in the second row. You'd need to crawl in the back for the third. But here is the really stupid part, the smaller split of the bench is on the passenger side, not the driver's side and there's already a car seat installed there. So you can't even drop the single side to get to the back. You'd have to crawl over the seat to strap a kid in. Lastly there is only one latch attachment in the 3rd row, so you could only have three kid seats anyway.

Don't use the latch system, use the seat belt on the quick release base. The latch is optional and slightly easier, but on our family hauler we don't have the latch system.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/20/17 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Stefan:

I'll look into that. Thanks.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
1/20/17 1:06 p.m.

Yearly check up for my knee issues, once again paying money just so they can tell me my options are the current anti inflamatory pills as needed or cortizone shots as needed. Only 30 more years until my insurance will cover a proper repair..

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
1/20/17 2:31 p.m.

These pain killers they gave me after surgery yesterday only sorta work. That isn't the rant, however. while i feel no different while awake (other than some pain relief i suppose), my dreams have turned into that scene in Knocked Up where they take mushrooms and go to Cirque du Soleil. Not the good part, the end where the trip goes bad. Good thing I wont be able to sleep now that my toddler has the flu

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
1/21/17 3:36 a.m.

As of tonight I am very much more motivated to sell as much E36 M3 as possible and move the berkeley away from where I'm at.
Don't care where, just away.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/17 5:21 p.m.

this site.. and only this site (GRM) keeps freezing up on me. not a minor rant.. and MAJOR one!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/17 6:58 p.m.

Wow, that's a record. I bought a Port-a-Band bandsaw today from Harbor Freight. Really good reviews, seemed like a good purchase I've been thinking about for a while.

I made 3 cuts of some trim this afternoon and put it away. I just tried to cut off the top of one of my castings and the smoke came pouring out. Blade was still spinning, but I unplugged it when it started to smoke.

Not even 12 hours. Not even 5 cuts.

Stumc
Stumc New Reader
1/21/17 8:21 p.m.

text books for college students. bought one for my wife today, $70 dollars for used book about american history, and that was one of the cheaper ones. WTF?! extortionists. its disgusting.

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
1/21/17 8:28 p.m.

In reply to Stumc:

When i was in college, the books for 1 single class totalled $400. In grad school i had a couple professors who would 'acquire' the final draft pdf from the authors (whom they knew) and would tell all the students over and over to be sure they got on the class share file, but not mention that all the books were in there, at least not in emails (paper trail). Clever way to get broke grad students free books. The authors didn't care, they don't make jack on the books either.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/21/17 10:07 p.m.

I came across as a dick in written communication and didn't mean to. I did not realize this until a few minutes ago. I owe an apology, and its too late at night to call, so i get to beat myself up about it until tomorrow.

Other than that, patgizz got royally berkeleyed today, and I was completely unable to do anything to make it any better. Really wanted to. Im pissed for him.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/21/17 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Stumc:

Try half.com I've had good luck on there. Get the exact ISBN.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
1/21/17 10:20 p.m.

I had a rant earlier but forgot it

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/17 10:38 p.m.

Today has been unbelievably frustrating. This isn't the first large demonstration to take place but it was absolutely the most poorly controlled one I've ever seen. Somehow the powers that be allowed every avenue on the east side of Manhattan and several on the west side to be closed at the same time. Basically there was no way to move north or south from one side of the crowd or the other. I had to spend the afternoon telling people I had no way to get them to work since the buses on my end could just drive in circles to the edge of the march. It was inexcusable to not be able provide some sort of service beyond telling them to walk across town and climb down into a subway. In 17 years, severe weather, protests, parades, terror attacks and other events this was the least organized I've ever seen a crowd managed. Things were completely out of our control but it's still incredibly embarrassing to not to be able to somehow move people to where they need to go.

Aside from the problems it caused for us you would think for public safety you'd want to keep a couple streets open for fire trucks and ambulances. One positive was I had time to teach people how to contact their councilperson and the mayor to express their displeasure with how today's commute went.

sirrichardpumpaloaf
sirrichardpumpaloaf HalfDork
1/21/17 10:47 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: As of tonight I am very much more motivated to sell as much E36 M3 as possible and move the berkeley away from where I'm at. Don't care where, just away.

I am so completely in this same frame of mind lately.

I hope either A). it gets better, or B). you get to do it.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/21/17 10:49 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e: It seems "poorly planned" describes today's march/rally's to a T. I accompanied my mother and GF to our local event and the organizers set up a PA system capable of reaching maybe 100 people and had a turnout of maybe 5,000. I'm sure some of the speakers had some good things to say, but 4,900 of us wouldn't know.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/17 11:17 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

I would expect glitches like that from people unaccustomed to planing large events but this was like the police had forgotten how to do this or more likely our mayor told them to let this go on since he was losing credibility with his supporters. There have been marches forever here and this was the most chaotic one I've ever seen which seems odd since it was made up of peaceful people. I would think that a group of families with no rioting and no vandalism wouldn't be more difficult to manage than any of the other groups.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/22/17 1:38 a.m.

Today, as I dropped the hot steamer insert into a bowl of water I was reminded that steam in a confined space+water=VACUUM. Ever blow up a batch of hard boiled eggs with vacuum? I did. Remember to take the lid off first.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/22/17 7:44 a.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

Sounds like a good science project for the kids.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/22/17 3:57 p.m.

It makes really easy to peel eggs when you don't berkeley it up like I did.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/22/17 6:37 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Today, as I dropped the hot steamer insert into a bowl...

Anyone else stop reading after that?

1 ... 582 583 584 585 586 ... 1925

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vKVZ32jbPsDvjyymtAzcu4x5tCsJrDcm6ZHsHstWOboQtgk5lXZYsicUPDbDWyau