1 ... 598 599 600 601 602 ... 1927
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/17 7:15 p.m.

well, I found the rattle in my disco's dashboard. The gagepod was cracked. Thankfully I had another from a failed project to add some aftermarket gages. Set me back as I had to clean it up, degrease it, and paint it to match my truck's all black interior.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
2/22/17 7:19 p.m.

I took the back roads home today, hoping to unwind a bit and chuck the Focus into a few curves...

...only to be stuck behind a student driver going 35 almost the whole way home.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/17 7:22 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: If I could go back in time and talk to 18yo me I would tell him to take better care of my knees. Damn they a hurtn'

18? I would have DREAMED of having good knees at 18...

Okay, enough of the Four Yorkshiremen.

I'd have told me to wear some damn ear protection. And don't braze without some sort of goggles/shield/other bright-reducing device. I did that a lot back then.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
2/22/17 7:31 p.m.

Craigslist/OfferUp/LetGo sellers are all a bunch of flakes.

One flake twice backed out of a swap. Dude said he wanted to swap, and I had exactly what he wanted. I guess it's to my advantage because a neighbor offered to buy the item for about $100 more than I valued the sawp at. Now, a couple weeks later, he has it listed for cash only. I might call from my work phone and low ball him hard.

One guy failed to tell me he sold an item until I was half way there. I can understand first to put cash in hand takes it, but don't tell me to come over at 4:00 pm, then text me at 3:50 that it's sold.

Silly woman on OfferUp told me to come over anytime to pick up a scooter for cheap. I responded 10 minuets later to give me an address or place to meet, and included a phone number. 1 hour later, silence.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
2/22/17 11:22 p.m.

berkeley you Samsung. berkeley you.

I've replaced two of your stupid ass drain pumps, both of which fractured their magnets attached to the impeller, and the boot seal your piece of E36 M3 wf419aaw/xaa washer. Well, this time around I replaced the drain pump springing for one I know is an OEM part, not some might be real piece of E36 M3 from Amazon. After getting it in and starting a test your berkeleying zinc alloy spider mount on the inner tub breaks when it starts to spin up. Now I need to return a drain pump with 5 berkeleying minutes of use on it so I don't lose even more money on this engineering wonder.

Who puts berkeleying zinc alloy on stainless steel? I'm a berkeleying Aircraft Mechanic and I know that E36 M3 is asking for trouble from corrosion. Seriously I hope that dipE36 M3 accountant made you a lot of money because I'm never buying one of your appliances again.

Also I hope you berkeleying burn from this latest bribery scandal.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/17 12:25 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: 500 pages of lame ass bitching. What the berkeley is wrong with you people!?!?!

600 pages of lame ass bitching? What the berkeley is wrong with you people?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/23/17 9:55 a.m.

BERKITY BERK BERK BERKING BERK.

Our club just got denied in our request to use the high school parking lot we've been autocrossing in for the last 3 years. In fact, we're denied for using any of the District's facilities, even though they said outright that we've satisfactorily responded to any issues that came up.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/17 3:22 p.m.

Why did it take me until today to realize that the Chevy SSR is essentially a convertible ute? And why must they be so ridiculously expensive?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/23/17 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

Local dealer has this '04 w/ 17K miles listed for $26K. Wouldn't mind owning one just for the experience but I don't need it that berkeleying bad. C'mon man.

Ashyukun
2/23/17 4:05 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: In reply to Ashyukun: Local dealer has this '04 w/ 17K miles listed for $26K. Wouldn't mind owning one just for the experience but I don't need it that berkeleying bad. C'mon man.

Yeah, that's about in line with what I've seen them for looking online. Cheapest I saw was about $16k. There's one at one of the buy-here-pay-here lots I pass to and from work- I may swing by just to see what they have it priced out for S&Gs. I'm sure it's WAY too much.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/23/17 4:08 p.m.

Getting old, slow, and clumsy sucks.

While running on vacation yesterday , I tripped and fell. Which hyper-extended my elbow. Just getting limited use back today. Ugh.

And we fly home tomorrow. Normally we carry on only, but there is no way I can lift even our small bags over my head anymore.

The good news, checking bags equals a bottle of craft rum from key west. Silver lining.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
2/23/17 4:56 p.m.

Apparently it's more courteous to show up to work sick and have them send you home, than it is to do the responsible thing and call out with plenty of time for folks to find coverage and not infect the entire office.

Time to browse the want ads some more...

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
2/23/17 6:50 p.m.

Ordered some ammo from Academy, whatever mouth breather boxed it for shipping didn't use any packing material at all, I opened the box and this is what I found. There's some random bullets on a FedEx truck or warehouse somewhere.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/17 8:41 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: Ordered some ammo from Academy, whatever mouth breather boxed it for shipping didn't use any packing material at all, I opened the box and this is what I found. There's some random bullets on a FedEx truck or warehouse somewhere.

They should thank their lucky stars that those random rounds aren't loose in the warehouse in some mad mortherberkeleyer's rifle.

Ashyukun
2/23/17 8:46 p.m.

So, since it is for some unexplained reason 70 degrees outside on a late-February evening, I decided I really needed to get going on all of the things I planned to replace on the front end of the Jeep in hopes of finally taking care of the clunking.

Well, the good news is that I found the problem.

The bad news is that FORK THIS FORKING SHIRT! THIS CAR CAN GO TO HELL! IT CAN GO TO HELL AND DIE!!!

ahem

OK, so here's a little story for you.

Meet Mr. Bolt.

Mr. Bolt is, as many of you can probably tell having looked at similar bolts over your lives, the bolt that holds the front of the LCA to the front subframe. It's a simple job- but he can't do it alone. He depends on his trusty partner, Mr. Captive Nut, on the inside of the subframe to hold the LCA nice and solidly to the subframe.

Except THIS Mr. Bolt- and, by a stroke of truly amazingly wonderful luck, his identical twin on the OTHER side of the car, has a problem. His Mr. Captive Nut isn't, well, VERY BERKING CAPTIVE. It's doing a GREAT job of holding on to HIM, but it's otherwise a) loose and spins pretty much freely and b) is not at least berkeleying SNUG but is moderately loose- which allows the front connection of the LCA to move around. Hence, the clunking I've been hearing since replacing the front subframe.

The truly FUN thing about this? There is, essentially, no berking way to fix it- the only way to 'fix' it would be to replace the front subframe- and probably the LCA since there's really no good way to get it loose without destroying it. Sorry, that's replace the subframe AGAIN.

I've had it with this accursed thing. I'm putting what I had taken apart back together (thankfully I didn't damage anything so I don't have to use any of the new parts) and leaving it as it is. I'm going to find another car ASAP- probably a convertible if I can find a good one- and then I'm selling this thing as soon as possible. Hopefully for roughly break even or better, but I'm at this point willing to take a loss just to not have to deal with it- and waste even more money on it- any more.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/23/17 10:22 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

Enter holesaw and welder. Make hole, weld nut, weld hole back up... or not.

Ashyukun
2/24/17 8:09 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: In reply to Ashyukun: Enter holesaw and welder. Make hole, weld nut, weld hole back up... or not.

I have considered that- but there's -very- little space to work with. I don't have a good picture of the area, but here's the old subframe:

The front is on the left, and that bent tube that comes up goes through the subframe something like less than an inch behind where the nut attaches on the inside. I'm neither confident in being able to cut into the frame safely nor able to get the welder in there to weld the nut.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/17 8:38 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

Weld the head of the bolt in place? J/k, the other end would still move around and eventually break the weld.

No way you could jam a screwdriver into the hole to hold the nut long enough to get it tight enough to keep it from moving?

Chrysler had a similar problem with subframes on their K-based cars, especially those with wide and sticky tires, that caused the steering racks to come loose and shift back and forth. I had to fix mine with a hole saw, various drills and new bolts and nuts.

It looks like opening the subframe up where the old one rusted out could provide the access you need, but I completely understand cutting your losses and moving on.

Ashyukun
2/24/17 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Stefan:

I'll take a closer look at it tonight when I get home, I was basically too pissed off when I figured out what was going on last night to deal with it any more. If I can fix it without swapping out the subframe I'll try and make it work- obviously selling it with that fixed (and hopefully it would also fix the 'trying to veer off the road and kill me' problem) will be much easier than if I have to explain what the clunking noise is (and my conscience wouldn't let me not disclose it).

Regardless of whether or not I can fix it, as soon as I can I'm selling this thing. It's been one thing after another with it, and I'm sick of dealing with it. I'm not THAT attached to the thing- it's underpowered, has far less interior/cargo space than you'd think it does/should, and is not particularly comfortable to drive/ride in. I'd far rather be driving a car than an SUV anyway, or have the functionality of a truck (or a ute). It's been nothing but trouble since I bought it, and if I lose money on it I'll count it as a solid reminder to do a better job inspecting cars before I buy them since if I'd notice the subframe damage I'd have walked away from it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/24/17 9:35 a.m.

Come up from the bottom.

Ashyukun
2/24/17 10:08 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Come up from the bottom.

That's what she said?

That would be the only way to do it without removing it from the car, I'm just not convinced (and won't be without looking at it more closely tonight) that's I'd be able to get enough access.

Assuming I DO try and repair it and need to use a hold saw- where and what kind of hole saw do you guys recommend for going through frame metal like that?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/17 10:12 a.m.

Google, your personal data information gathering is legendary, almost as good as the NSA. You know the kind of things I'm interested in. Must you still, 4 months after the election, be filling my feed with "what if (redacted) won" and bullE36 M3 opinion pieces about 2020 elections?

How about something remotely relevant to my interests instead? March xbox games with gold, reviews of Chinese cnc machines, smoker modifications, wikileaks whose evidencE destroys all your opinion pieces, or how about anything at all related to things I Google and actually read? I know you can do it, because buried under 30 links to stuff I don't care about at all, there's one little link to something I do.

You own my searches, you know I'm far more interested in French cleats and strange ways to use a drill press than anything at all cnn or Huffington post has to say.I

It's almost like you're trying to pretend you don't spy on all of us. Well the cats been out of the bag for years, either own it and make a better product because of it or stop berkeleying spying on everyone.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
2/24/17 11:48 a.m.

No rant, just on the advice of this forum and my wife i went and seen my mother. Didnt end up staying for the weekend as shes so far gone she doesnt know whats going on around her. Things worked out and there were no issues seeing her. Just wanted too say thanks for talking some sense into me.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/17 11:59 a.m.

All damn day I can not have a single person stop down to bother me, but the second I sit down to take a bite of my sandwich it's like the berkeleying bat signal goes out and everyone and their brother comes out of the woodwork with some inane bullE36 M3 that can easily wait an hour but needs to be done NOW.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/24/17 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

I don't answer my work phone at all during lunch hour and I only answer my personal phone if I know and approve the caller.

Luckily I don't work in a place where too many in-house people can come in person to hit me up at lunch.

1 ... 598 599 600 601 602 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mSMcK6tGwaGyi1dkG6sqiDeZBEue4pVllxr9UOO7LXWOGP0qtLLvlmvsbruxFsAz