1 ... 599 600 601 602 603 ... 1927
Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/17 12:16 p.m.

Minor rant that got forgotten about earlier....

Remember how I ranted a bit about HF's 20% off coupons not working on the nice, big tool chest I bought on Saturday? Yesterday in the mail I got their new coupon circular- which has a coupon to get the tool chest I just bought for $20 less than I paid for it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/24/17 12:19 p.m.

berkeley the Secretary of State right in the shiny happy person!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/24/17 12:28 p.m.

Bob-damned Harbor Freight battery charger never was any good at charging batteries. Sure as hell was good at making a bunch of stinky smoke trying to turn over the Manic Miata in jump start mode this morning.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/17 12:34 p.m.
Duke wrote: In reply to Furious_E: I don't answer my work phone at all during lunch hour and I only answer my personal phone if I know and approve the caller. Luckily I don't work in a place where too many in-house people can come hit me up at lunch.

Neither do I, the problem is no one from within the building actually calls, they just show up. Some people can take the hint when I tell them to come back at 1 (only to turn around and do the same thing two days later ). Others, like the midget with the Napoleon complex that showed up today, just can't understand why they're not the #1 priority in everyone else's life at all times. Which leads into a whole 'nother rant about some of the personalities here, but that's for another day...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/24/17 2:44 p.m.

I wish people would learn how to use roundabouts.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
2/24/17 3:23 p.m.

I wish they would would stop putting new roundabouts at high-traffic, multi-lane intersections.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
2/24/17 8:28 p.m.

Hell, many people around here can't drive in a straight line properly, and they have real trouble with the whole concept of merging. A roundabout is absolutely out of the question.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/17 9:52 p.m.

Well, I tried. But after taking a (second) closer look at the way the LCA bolts into the subframe, trying to repair the spinning captive/integral nut would probably take more time and work than replacing the whole subframe again. The problem is- and there's really no good way to get a picture of this on the car, I wish I'd not scrapped the old one- that the front LCA mount is not really part of the main subframe- it is its own little metal box that was then welded into the subframe at a number of points such that the box itself is mostly captive in the subframe. There's only really one way to get to where the nut is, and that would be going through the inside edge of the subrame- which is overlapped and welded. And even then I'm far from convinced that there would be enough access to do anything useful.

It's not really even feasible to try and grind out the welds the hold the little LCA-mount box to the subframe and remove it as one piece- because I'd have to cut the front arm of the LCA that goes into the mount because it would obscure getting to part of one of the welds. And then there would be the matter of getting it properly lined up to weld back in.

No, I'm done with this car. While I had it in the garage I replaced the intake runner actuator that should eliminate the SES light so at least its engine will be behaving properly, but it's going up on CL. Solidly overpriced initially with the option of trading me a convertible for it until I can find and get another car to daily and can list it more reasonably.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/17 10:52 p.m.

unlike my co-workers, my company issued Nextel actually has a real phone number attached to it. All the others are push to talk glorified walkie-talkies. Well, today I got three calls on my work phone (and had two messages from my days off) and an additional two calls on my personal cell phone from people trying to sell me stuff.

Did they change the do not call law?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/17 7:22 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: In reply to Ashyukun: Enter holesaw and welder. Make hole, weld nut, weld hole back up... or not.

A better way is a box wrench on the formerly captive nut.

Situations like this are why I am fanatical about making sure the threads in captive nuts, and the bolts that go into them, are good and clean, before putting the control arm in I will make sure I can spin the bolt in all the way down by hand. This greatly increases the chance of success when the bolt has to come back out a few years later.

Because it will probably be ME who has to take the bolt out!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/25/17 7:25 a.m.

The WiFi is down at the shop. No Pandora.

Very minor rant.

Knurled
2/25/17 7:59 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:
Appleseed wrote: 500 pages of lame ass bitching. What the berkeley is wrong with you people!?!?!
600 pages of lame ass bitching? What the berkeley is wrong with you people?

Don't divide by zero

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/25/17 9:09 a.m.

Got a bad wheel bearing.

Ok, go buy a new hub assembly. Gotta take the caliper off... really? That's the problem I'm having?

Of course. Damn bolt is so seized I can't get it off. Sprayed it with penetrating oil. Hit it with a hammer. Got a bigger hammer. Bent a wrench. Drank a beer. Went inside.

I'm gonna try fire next.

Knurled
2/25/17 7:09 p.m.

Just found out that the S60R is about 40% more powerful than a S40 R-Design, has a much more useful towing capacity (3300lb vs. 2000), about the same fuel ecomony, and on the used car market is maybe half as expensive. And it seems like most of them are 6 speed models, although I am not sure that is a benefit (the automatic is GOOD and the manual trans is weak) but it does mean you get the world's coolest shifter boot. And some/most/all have headlight wipers, while '05-up S40s do not, and I feel headlight wipers are more useful as well as aesthetically pleasing in a utilitarian way.

It's also a couple hundred pounds more, but it is only 2" longer than my current S40, which barely fits in my garage. (Somehow the Focus-based S40 is shorter than my Lancer based one... looks a lot bigger!)

I got some thinkin' to do.

The rant: Many, many, MANY years ago, I got in an argument online (no, really) about compact cars. I like small cars. I prefer small cars. Smaller is better. The expletive I was arguing with claimed that everyone wants the biggest car available and only bought smaller because that was all they could afford. He, oddly enough, actually used Volvos as an example, he said the only reason people bought S40s was because they couldn't afford an S80. That really, really pissed me off. The hyper-stubborn grudge-holding part of my brain (no doubt encoded in my DNA from my distant Eastern European ancestors) refuses to let me even consider a "full size" Volvo simply because of what some elitist SoCal pr... person said on some forum 15 years ago. And that really pisses me off.

Stupid brain!

mad_machine
2/26/17 3:10 p.m.

I have been working mornings the past couple of days.. so I am getting up before dawn. This morning at 3:30 am, something woke me up and my brain went "while you're up.." and proceeded to keep me up for an hour before letting me get back to sleep just before my alarm went off

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/26/17 6:43 p.m.

I was thinking about time travel and the thought crossed my mind that if I went back in time two days then yesterday and tomorrow would be the same day.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/26/17 7:03 p.m.

Can't get a single bolt off. Stopping the whole operation. Wtf.

Bluewrench, liquid wrench, hammer, bigger hammer, still can't get the damn theing off.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/27/17 10:21 a.m.

Rewards points.... everywhere ya go.

Wallet full of cards. Why? Am I not being a good doggie or what. Condition me.

Fuel perks I see, kinda difficult to get around that anymore w/ only two stores worth shopping at. One store for gas, other for diesel. Coffee shop, 10th one is free, whoopie, I can hardly wait. Take our survey for more points and a free sammich. Once a month at CVS, uh no. Staples, no, just ring my E36 M3 up. AA/ AZ, nope.

Sears was sending two emails a day telling me I had 10,000 reward points I should really, really use. Holy berkeley, 10K of them motherberkeleyers. And.... 10K points is worth a whopping... $3.80. Well now, let me run right up there. Not.

Who gives a berkeley

woof woof

Knurled
2/27/17 12:19 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

I have something like 124,000 Speedway points. At this point, it just amuses me to see the cashiers' eyes bug out when they hand me the reciept

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/17 12:33 p.m.

Never buy an adjustable wrench that has its head in a blister-pack so that you can't feel how much play the jaws have.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/27/17 1:34 p.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to fasted58: I have something like 124,000 Speedway points. At this point, it just amuses me to see the cashiers' eyes bug out when they hand me the reciept

That's a lot of coffee.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/27/17 2:32 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: Rewards points.... everywhere ya go. Wallet full of cards. Why? Am I not being a good doggie or what. Condition me. Fuel perks I see, kinda difficult to get around that anymore w/ only two stores worth shopping at. One store for gas, other for diesel. Coffee shop, 10th one is free, whoopie, I can hardly wait. Take our survey for more points and a free sammich. Once a month at CVS, uh no. Staples, no, just ring my E36 M3 up. AA/ AZ, nope. Sears was sending two emails a day telling me I had 10,000 reward points I should really, really use. Holy berkeley, 10K of them motherberkeleyers. And.... 10K points is worth a whopping... $3.80. Well now, let me run right up there. Not. Who gives a berkeley woof woof

^ THIS

As they say at the University of Mediocracy, if you’re incapable of competing on quality, performance, or value, offer a rewards program.

mad_machine
2/27/17 10:56 p.m.

ear infection: I haz one.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/17 12:44 a.m.

Day 2 of Hwy 101 road trip with the wife, baby and the FoRS. 1975 miles on it at this point. Thank god for hatchbacks and folding seats.

And this is the second day in a row the wife has let the kid fall off the bed while I'm moving luggage around. Really?

You were on the bed with her and got up to pickup a bag off the floor because you didn't want it dirty. Instead we could have lost our daughter. I heard her fall and hit the side table on the way down while my back was turned. I about collapsed after we determined she was fine.

Needless to say, I'll be watching them both now. Sigh....

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
2/28/17 1:11 a.m.

AXing a car that isn't quite competitive in the class you run AND doesn't have the numbers required to complain enough for the SCCA to re-class it lower, super fun.
And yes, shame on me for buying a non competitive AX car.

1 ... 599 600 601 602 603 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qNjDpHpwhcYFwTiLXFChxWMybUEH8x2K54fzSv7gwJbWI8P7GWSWN6JiDx3ItLtQ