1 ... 643 644 645 646 647 ... 1929
Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/17 10:01 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686:

This is a mid-2010 27" iMac, so the same general vintage. The SSD with the OS, Applications, and files for the video work on it speeds things up exponentially. It's great just clicking on an application and having it start up near instantaneously instead of chugging away for a while- especially for things like iTunes that typically would take a minute or two.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/17 10:12 a.m.

I'm kind of jealous of all of you experiencing these massive speed boosts, as someone who has always put faster HDDs in computers An SSD, in terms of butt-dyno feel for speed, made my gaming PC only about 10% faster (coming from a RAID0 array of 10krpm drives) and only made my laptop feel maybe 50%~75% faster (coming from a single 7200rpm drive). Of course you can see how much faster they really are when you copy a single (big) file.

I also think the average computer user doesn't understand the increase in data loss risk an SSD poses to them. Many don't do backups and rely on some kind of warning sign that a hard drive is failing to save their asses. SSDs don't give warning signs. One microsecond they're working fine and the next, they're a brick. So be sure to make backups when you switch to an SSD.

To make a car analogy, it's like we have these amazing new tires that are far grippier and have far lower rolling resistance at the same time, but when they're too worn out or if you're just unlucky, they suddenly explode and catch fire. But everyone's just focused on how great they perform, and most don't have fire extinguishers in their cars.

Ashyukun
6/19/17 10:53 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

I didn't do any really scientific timing/tracking, but given I had to boot the computer up twice in quick succession in the process- the first booting it off the original 1TB 7200rpm SATA drive and the next off the new Crucial MX300 SSD- I was able to clearly see the difference. I imagine that going from a newer HDD, especially in a RAID setup, to the SSD would indeed yield less dramatic speed increases- but going from my single 6(or more)-year-old drive to the SSD was a marked improvement.

I'm aware of the data loss potential- I'm not too terribly concerned as I've had Time Machine backing up my computer to a Time Capsule for almost as long as I've had the computer itself. Though I haven't set it up to back up the new SSD yet... I may just see about having it back up to the local HDD periodically since all the SSD has on it is system/applications and most of the user data is still stored on the HDD.

Ashyukun
6/19/17 10:57 a.m.

Ugh, I hate getting old. About 1/4 of the way through my bike ride in to work (just after going down the biggest hill of my ride...) my left knee started to complain quite loudly. Had it done so before going down the hill, I might have turned around and headed back and taken either the scooter or a car, but as getting back up that hill would be worse than the entire rest of my ride I toughed it out to get in to work.

Now- halfway through the day in effect- my knee is still pitching a fit. If it doesn't get markedly better before I have to leave for home, I'm going to have to see about getting home by means other than the bike- there's no way I pedal the 3+ miles home with my knee in the condition it's in now. Do Uber or Lyft allow you take request cars with bike racks?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
6/19/17 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

UberXL gets you an SUV - from what I've heard it's good form to call the driver and make sure they're ok with you putting a bike in the back.

Ashyukun
6/19/17 12:15 p.m.
dculberson wrote: In reply to Ashyukun: UberXL gets you an SUV - from what I've heard it's good form to call the driver and make sure they're ok with you putting a bike in the back.

Good to know, thanks! It looks like if I'm not able to ride I shouldn't need to do that though- SWMBO can actually swing by and pick me up it seems, though I'll have to leave the bike since the rack isn't on her SUV and it's got too much stuff in it to put the bike in. Not too much of a problem, I can just drive the Jeep tomorrow with the rack on the back and bring it home.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/19/17 12:44 p.m.

The paint that i had used on the bumper of the miata, that never dried after 2 months, and created a texture similar to brushed concrete, is a mother to remove and kills sandpaper at at alarming rate.

Thinking about cemical weapons.....

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
6/19/17 1:08 p.m.

Use chemical stripper intended for bumpers. You could also see if lacquer thinner will work.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/19/17 2:28 p.m.

In reply to Don49:

Brake clean made a pretty good dent!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/19/17 4:14 p.m.

On a relatively busy freeway toodling along at 70+Mph in the right lane and someone driving a newish Dart with loud exhaust comes out of nowhere passing us on the right hand shoulder at a high rate of speed. We see him do it a few more times before he's out of sight. A few minutes later a guy in a Prius almost causes an accident(s) while trolling along at 50mph. Of course he's oblivious since he's on his phone.

Today seems to be the day to fulfil stereotypes.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/20/17 6:39 a.m.

Our leadership has felt that we need a complete renovation of the main campus here.

From a high level, it's a very good, if not brilliant idea. Most of the buildings date back to the 50s.

But instead of doing is slowly, so that the impact on the employees is minimal, they are doing much of it all at once. So far, probably 1/3 of the available parking that we have is gone. Sadly- it's totally on schedule. The buildings are not- so not nearly enough people have moved off campus.

A big chunk of that 1/3 happened two weeks early- so the normal lot I park in is now well under 50% of what it used to be, AND the way I get into the lot is now closed off. Both of which suck, badly. Now there are only two entrances and exits that 90% of us can use. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/17 9:48 a.m.

I hate slimy car dealers.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/20/17 10:48 a.m.

Pretty sure I'm just not capable of making fried doughnuts.

Today was my third attempt. I used 2 different digital scales to weigh all my ingredients, a stop watch to time everything, and a digital thermometer. I still wound up with dough too sticky to roll out, and dry nutmeg flavored balls coming out of the fryer.

I guess I'm stuck baking them. Which sucks, because my preferred flavour of doughnut(old fashioned sour cream) just doesn't come out right baked, and $9/dozen reheated frozen doughnuts from dunkin is just stupid.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
6/20/17 10:53 a.m.

(Step)Mother-in-law was 20 minutes late this morning to watch the baby for the day. Which is fine-ish. But she also just lets her dog loose into the house, where it proceeds to charge around super excited and knock E36 M3 over for like 5 straight minutes. Including the baby's bottle. That he was too distracted to keep eating once they showed up (mostly due to the dog).

Why is it so hard for you to just control your dog, if you insist on bringing her to our house to terrorize our pets and get hair all over our furniture?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/20/17 11:28 a.m.

We had that whole AC debacle last week. No one could come out without overtime, and as we were facing a big vet bill, I didn't want to do that.

Wife called a guy who said he could make it. She said it was an emergency... well, kinda. But we'd also had a couple of window units that were ready to install. He charged us an exorbinate amount of money. He put in what he said was 4 quarts of "freon". I'm skeptical it was that much after talking to "new guy" (see below). He told us the problem was a broken coil and gave us a quote on that, and he told us he was getting a low pressure reading still. Told us the problem wasn't going to be fixed permanently, and it likely wouldn't even last the weekend. With that in mind, I installed the two window units anyways to "fix" the problem as a backup.

Well, I didn't like the guy--just didn't trust him--and had already had another guy coming out Monday (yesterday). New guy came out, said everything looked fine and he didn't see the broken coil. New also said that if there was anything like what this guy was describing, he'd have had low pressure--and he didn't. He told me to just watch it, but he expects it to last the summer--"I'm just going to call this an estimate, so you don't owe me anything--oh, and by the way, that price [HVAC guy 1] quoted you for the coil is extremely out of line."

So, rant one of this: shiny happy person HVAC guy 1, who charged us way too much money and likely lied to us, with me not knowing the difference. Rant two: jeez wifey, stop freaking out, don't call anyone out here to do anything on the house without consulting me, please. You freak out and make rash decisions, and we can't afford to be doing that.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/17 11:38 a.m.

If I ever figure out who keeps dicking with the thermostat in my office I'm going to rip their head off and E36 M3 down their throat.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/20/17 11:53 a.m.

Overspray sucks. I know better....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/17 12:37 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: If I ever figure out who keeps dicking with the thermostat in my office I'm going to rip their head off and E36 M3 down their throat.

as somebody who is only warm a couple of months out of the year, I really hate it when people crank the airconditioning in our control room to "see your breath" cold. I get it, the lot of you are WAY overweight (and one of them is obese) but can you make it warm enough that I do NOT have to wear a pullover in the middle of summer?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/20/17 2:57 p.m.

Today would have been more productive if I stuck my dick in a vise.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/17 4:03 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Furious_E wrote: If I ever figure out who keeps dicking with the thermostat in my office I'm going to rip their head off and E36 M3 down their throat.
as somebody who is only warm a couple of months out of the year, I really hate it when people crank the airconditioning in our control room to "see your breath" cold. I get it, the lot of you are WAY overweight (and one of them is obese) but can you make it warm enough that I do NOT have to wear a pullover in the middle of summer?

I share the office with one other guy and we both like it around 72, which I think most people would consider a comfortable temperature. When it gets dicked with, the temperature is always set to like 85, which I think most would agree is ridiculous.

The thermostat in our office also controls a supply closet and an office that gets used for a grand total of <20 minutes a day for people to come in and scan parts. More than likely it's one of the girls who comes in to scan that just can't bear the frigid 72 degree room for 5 minutes, but no one will admit to changing it. We've gone as far now as to have maintenance install a locked cover over the thermostat, but the flimsy thing just gets pried off and set aside. It's ridiculous.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
6/20/17 4:13 p.m.

Best weather we've had since I get home, and probably the only nice weather for the next several days. It was going to be about perfect to open up the garage, and cut and weld up a y-pipe for the challenge project. So, of course that's when we have a system failure on the product I deal with at work, so I've got to sit around in front of my computer and wait for a message to let me know it's back up, so I can test and confirm it.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/20/17 4:36 p.m.

Took my truck in for dealer service this afternoon. In the customer lounge were two older gentlemen, obviously brothers. One was kind of slow and had a speech impediment to put it politely. I never met the guy but I recognized that distinct speech pattern from two former co-workers who mocked it to excess... and for the four years I was there. E36 M3, no doubt they're still doing it. This HAD to be that guy. I had no issues w/ the brothers at all, kinda nice guys really. Not my rant.

What the berkeley pisses me off is when capable, healthy people belittle and mock the less fortunate, disabled or impaired. Two alpha dog wanna be's that wouldn't go 10/10ths but found it easier to put other people down to elevate themselves. I don't wish ill will on anybody but if the proverbial piano fell from the sky crushing the old co-workers I could give a rats ass. I'd probably applaud it, much deserved. And speaking of disability, that place was infamous for disability scammers. Shop-a-doc, build a case and scam the system while honest folks who deserved disability couldn't get it.

People are berkeleyed up.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/20/17 4:54 p.m.

Spent 5 hours on the phone with tech support today, and I have less functionality than I did this morning. Stupid computers.

MugenReplica
MugenReplica New Reader
6/20/17 4:58 p.m.

Customer service for health insurance has to be one of the most frustrating jobs in the world.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
6/20/17 6:18 p.m.
MugenReplica wrote: Customer service for health insurance has to be one of the most frustrating jobs in the world.

Not having a fun day being on the other end of the customer service in healthcare the situation.

Confusion between the doctor's office and the hospital on when they want to do the operation. No follow up with me from either with the correct date. I had to go back and reverify with them 5 hours later when I didn't receive a call back. Random calls telling me I have to pay my deductible via credit card over the phone before I go to the hospital from numbers not associated with the hospital and no way to verify the caller is the hospital. In the end it turns out they were with the hospital. Had to call the hospital and ask to be transferred to the pre-admission Department to verify I was speaking with the right people. They didn't see a problem with random numbers calling me including 855 and 866 numbers that are usually scammers and spammers, and are noted as such when Googled.

Fun when in pain.

1 ... 643 644 645 646 647 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XYETLDDA4tWA528BIMzOWRFrpz6BlHzjhQaxGiQQYGWfj6uSUfck4QJoycoNzQIG