Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/17 5:03 a.m.

I'm exhausted

NickD
NickD SuperDork
7/11/17 5:36 a.m.
Stefan wrote:
NickD wrote: I've never worked at another place where seniority didn't determine priority for vacation. This winter I tried to take 3 days off and got denied because a lube tech who had been there for a year had those days off, despite me being there for 5 years. Today my boss started roughing me up because I need a week off for my annual trip to TN and another guy who hasn't been here a year yet has requested that week off so he can go to Sturgis. And it's not like I'm specialized in anything that overlaps with him. He's the transmission and diesel and Corvette tech. I'm just a tech.
That's how it works at most corporations. Once you're past the probationary period, its first come, first serve. Now the AMOUNT of vacation you get is based around seniority for the most part, not that enough people take it, but that's another rant for another time. If you put your time in before that other guy, then its on your boss to juggle things to make it all work, or Tech boy gets to delay his vacation.

Every other place I worked, up to 2 weeks or so before your vacation they could come up to you and tell you "Hey, so-and-so needs this time off and they've been here longer, sorry." But I'm more confused by the fact that right now we are fully staffed, we've been running out of work to do in the afternoon, and, as I said, the other guy and I have no overlapping specializations/certifications. Also, our other transmission tech and another regular tech just took a week and a half off at the same time and there was no issue there. I told my boss already "I'm going, whether you approve the time off or not. I didn't get to go last year because my plans got screwed up by someone, and I already have resort reservations that I made in November, so I'm not missing this year."

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/11/17 6:14 a.m.
NickD wrote:
Stefan wrote:
NickD wrote: I've never worked at another place where seniority didn't determine priority for vacation. This winter I tried to take 3 days off and got denied because a lube tech who had been there for a year had those days off, despite me being there for 5 years. Today my boss started roughing me up because I need a week off for my annual trip to TN and another guy who hasn't been here a year yet has requested that week off so he can go to Sturgis. And it's not like I'm specialized in anything that overlaps with him. He's the transmission and diesel and Corvette tech. I'm just a tech.
That's how it works at most corporations. Once you're past the probationary period, its first come, first serve. Now the AMOUNT of vacation you get is based around seniority for the most part, not that enough people take it, but that's another rant for another time. If you put your time in before that other guy, then its on your boss to juggle things to make it all work, or Tech boy gets to delay his vacation.
Every other place I worked, up to 2 weeks or so before your vacation they could come up to you and tell you "Hey, so-and-so needs this time off and they've been here longer, sorry."

I would not work at a place like this. Vacation for me involves having my wife get the same time off approved, and often unrefundable flights.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/11/17 11:44 a.m.

How berking hard is it to straighten your wheels when you pull into a parking space? Half the cars I park next to, even if they're remotely straight in the spot, seem to have their wheels cranked with whatever lock was applied to pull in.

Meaning I'm terrified that they're going to back out with the same careless haste they parked with, and scrape the side of my car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/17 11:56 a.m.
Duke wrote: How berking hard is it to straighten your wheels when you pull into a parking space? Half the cars I park next to, even if they're remotely straight in the spot, seem to have their wheels cranked with whatever lock was applied to pull in. Meaning I'm terrified that they're going to back out with the same careless haste they parked with, and scrape the side of my car.

Once saw some teenage girls in an NZE Corolla knock a little Opel Corsa into the air like that.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/11/17 12:03 p.m.

Why is it, when travelling and you really have to E36 M3, that all the bathrooms you can find are dirtier than two hobos berkeleying in a dumpster?

NickD
NickD SuperDork
7/11/17 12:09 p.m.

Let no good deed go un-berkeleying-punished. Had a customer come in with a '14 Duramax for an oil change. I'm working on it and notice that the lower oil pan appears to be leaking. Common place on them, an easy job to do and it's still under warranty. Talk to the service writer, he calls the customer to let him know, okay, go ahead and do it. Go to install the lower oil pan and as I'm threading the bolts back in by hand I can see oil wicking out through the aluminum in the upper pan. Must have a thin spot or porous casting. Okay, so the upper pan needs to be replaced. What does that entail? Oh, just removing the transmission because GM decided to put bolts through the block that are behind the flexplate. Thanks. Great design, guys.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/11/17 1:39 p.m.

A few years ago, I loaned out a tool here at work (an electronic one, if it matters). It was so long ago, I forgot who I loaned it to, even.

So the anti-rant of my rant- the tool was returned today!!! Hooray!

The rant is- based on what he told me, it was likely that the person either forgot about it, or loaned it to a 3/4th person who then forgot about it. Odds are, it was found in a car that was to be scrapped.

Thus ends Mr Alfadriver from loaning tools out.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/17 3:39 p.m.

Why isn't there a way to block Google's suggested websites/stories on my phone and tablet?

It's nice when it's something relevant like a welding video or a rare link to a thread here, but I'm beyond sick of seeing nothing but garbage from CNN and Washington post and fox and imgur, and Reddit, and any of the other websites I have actively blocked by domain in my browser.

I don't go to these sites, I don't give a flying berkeley what some Kardashian did or that trump farted this morning, or about a tool store opening in Tuscaloosa.

I go to grm, Craigslist, racepa, alloy avenue, and Amazon. These are the only sites I give 2 E36 M3s about, and the only sites I want to see anything from.

Why can't I make the suggested or recommended sites things I actually want to visit or read about?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/17 3:41 p.m.
mtn wrote:
NickD wrote:
Stefan wrote:
Every other place I worked, up to 2 weeks or so before your vacation they could come up to you and tell you "Hey, so-and-so needs this time off and they've been here longer, sorry."
I would not work at a place like this. Vacation for me involves having my wife get the same time off approved, and often unrefundable flights.

Agreed, that's a bullE36 M3 policy. How are you supposed to plan a vacation when you know full well some ass hat might come along two weeks before hand and totally berkeley up your plans, leaving you out whatever deposit or payments have already been made? First come, first served.

Somewhat related, I once had a manager sit on a vacation request for over a month without approving it or not (unbeknownst to me, BTW, I had assumed it went through and was processed as usual), only to have him tell me THE DAY BEFORE he was not approving the request. Almost quit over that and would have over similar BS had I not been transferred to a different department shortly thereafter.

Furious_E
7/11/17 3:42 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

Because Google doesn't get paid for that

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/11/17 3:53 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

There are extensions or add ons that you can use depending on which browser you use. Best bet is to google it.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
7/11/17 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

My boss loves to sit on time off requests (almost all for racing, natch) instead of following policy and having a response within a week.
Too bad for him that I treat time off requests as a heads up that I'll be gone...
he can cover for my absence or not, his call.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/17 6:42 p.m.
mtn wrote: My dad spent a 40 year career with 3/5 companies (the fourth was a spinoff from the third and was later purchased by the fifth). I don't know how that's possible. I'm so bored with my second already. Seems that 2.5 years is all I get. I've just started to get groundwork in place to start my own company, but that will require a couple a pieces to fall in place correctly.

sure you are in the right business if you get bored so quickly? As much as I rant about my workplace, I do love the work I do here. It's just some of my co-workers I cannot stand. Going on 13 years here at the Borgata

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/11/17 6:51 p.m.
Furious_E wrote:
mtn wrote:
NickD wrote:
Stefan wrote:
Agreed, that's a bullE36 M3 policy. How are you supposed to plan a vacation when you know full well some ass hat might come along two weeks before hand and totally berkeley up your plans, leaving you out whatever deposit or payments have already been made? First come, first served.

Yes. That sounds like a rule Cartman would impose. "I don't care that you booked the time six months ago. Me and Kitteh are going to the Cheesypoof festival, and I started here a week before you did."

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/11/17 8:51 p.m.

Took the wife for dinner and ice cream in my zephyr tonight and on the way home after dark the alt light started flickering at idle. Ive known the alternator was week since i purchased it, i just hate spending money on parts for the i6.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
7/12/17 2:30 a.m.

I'm unsure how much of my struggle with winning at PC games is due to my decidedly non-gaming PC and how much is me being a worthless piece of garbage.
Quickplay Overwatch tonight, ended up 2-13.
Didn't get win 1 until match 9.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/17 7:18 a.m.

next week my sister and my two nieces go home! this has been a VERY long 6 weeks.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/17 7:36 a.m.
RevRico wrote: Why isn't there a way to block Google's suggested websites/stories on my phone and tablet? It's nice when it's something relevant like a welding video or a rare link to a thread here, but I'm beyond sick of seeing nothing but garbage from CNN and Washington post and fox and imgur, and Reddit, and any of the other websites I have actively blocked by domain in my browser. I don't go to these sites, I don't give a flying berkeley what some Kardashian did or that trump farted this morning, or about a tool store opening in Tuscaloosa. I go to grm, Craigslist, racepa, alloy avenue, and Amazon. These are the only sites I give 2 E36 M3s about, and the only sites I want to see anything from. Why can't I make the suggested or recommended sites things I actually want to visit or read about?

What kind of device? Android?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/12/17 8:20 a.m.
mtn wrote: My dad spent a 40 year career with 3/5 companies (the fourth was a spinoff from the third and was later purchased by the fifth). I don't know how that's possible. I'm so bored with my second already. Seems that 2.5 years is all I get. I've just started to get groundwork in place to start my own company, but that will require a couple a pieces to fall in place correctly.

So what's Plan B for when you get bored with running your own company? At least when you work for someone else, you get to go home at night. Or quit.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/17 8:40 a.m.

My listing for the Patriot clearly states CASH ONLY... why is it that almost everyone who contacts me with a lowball offer thinks that saying they'll be paying in cash is going to make me more likely to take half of what I'm asking for the thing?

Also finally had enough of my phone's battery draining so quickly and ordered the replacement battery & tool kit to do so myself. I successfully replaced the battery on my previous iPhone, it doesn't look like it's that much more challenging on this one...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/17 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Mike:

Android phone(lg g5) and tablet(Samsung tab 7 2), chrome browser.

It seems blocking websites in chrome mobile is a thing of the past. I haven't been able top find anything about the "suggested sites" other than its based off where you visit, which looking at my suggested sites, is entirely false.

I like the feature, I despise the way it's implemented.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
7/12/17 9:08 a.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: I'm unsure how much of my struggle with winning at PC games is due to my decidedly non-gaming PC and how much is me being a worthless piece of garbage. Quickplay Overwatch tonight, ended up 2-13. Didn't get win 1 until match 9.

Oooof. I know that feeling. My friend's coerced me into attempting to qualify for Competitive Season 5. Went 2-8 in placement and qualified in Bronze. Ouch. And I'm not an awful player.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/12/17 9:32 a.m.
Duke wrote:
So what's Plan B for when you get bored with running your own company? At least when you work for someone else, you get to go home at night. Or quit.

Well, the idea is that my own company is something I actually have a passion for. I can actually see how I'd be helping people.

But your point is valid and has been noted.

Furious_E
7/12/17 12:27 p.m.

Sitting at my desk, eating lunch, with the lid off of my water bottle because it doesn't permit enough airflow in to drink through the mouth thingy aaaand...spilled it right on my crotch

1 ... 652 653 654 655 656 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tj5pUOdpsl4AUzuGIUGBHP7KghsMUo5dwj3vNnyUeTmubvRVHDix8geB2Uz9v5K2