1 ... 725 726 727 728 729 ... 1927
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/15/17 9:36 a.m.

I found a convenient sticker on a peice of freight we were unloading. I appropriated it and slapped it on my name tag. I've been "TRASH PANDA" for over a month. I've had face to face conversationswith managment. They just now noticed the name change.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/17 9:39 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I found a convenient sticker on a peice of freight we were unloading. I appropriated it and slapped it on my name tag. I've been "TRASH PANDA" for over a month. I've had face to face conversationswith managment. They just now noticed the name change.

I was wondering that piece of GotG2 merchandise that came off of, and found that it's actually a Reddit meme older than that movie.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/15/17 6:09 p.m.

I shouldn't have to start with remove front bumper to get a berkeleying door open. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/17 7:42 p.m.

I've been asking for over a month to get the front tires replaced on my work truck. They are worn all the way to the wear bars. The truck (a 2wd Ranger) is scary to drive in the rain. Well, we finally got snow today. About 1.5-2" of heavy, wet snow. We have decent studded snows on the rear but just the rear. When I told my coworkers that I'd rather be able to steer and stop instead of being able to accelerate, they looked at me like I had a leg growing out of my forehead.

I might as well have skis on the front no

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/17 11:30 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

Go replace the tires yourself, send the bill to your boss.  Or don’t drive until they replace the tires.  If they complain, tell them that you’ll have OSHA and Whatever other agencies would be interested in that bullE36 M3 down here to look into their business.

That is highly unsafe and could cause you or a customer to be hurt or worse, an innocent bystander.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/16/17 2:18 a.m.

Jesus Christ, are you always this crabby? Is this the real you? I've been walking on eggshells for months. I'm afraid to talk to you. "Don't interrupt me! " or " I've heard you tell THAT story before!" No matter what, it seems like I'm in the wrong.

How was your day? BRALGHRGH! Did you get that alignment done on your truck? BRAGHAGHR! Want to watch that movie I rented for us? BRHHRGHAH! 

Are you trying to kill this relationship?  Because that's how you kill this relationship. If there is a problem, please, please, please talk to me about it. Otherwise I have to walk away from this inferno before it engulfs us both.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/17 8:15 a.m.

My department Manager (not my immediate supervisor) is going to be on the receiving end of a talk with me today. Last night, before our show with Steve Martin and Martin Short, we had a party down in the pool. I went down to turn on the battery lights before going to dinner, and got stuck doing all sorts of "add ons" by a Banquets Supervisor. This is stuff that costs extra, but because none of my Supervisors or Managers were around, I could not talk to them about it, I just did them. The Banquet's Manager got a nice fat tip from the Client, I got a "thankyou" and a chance to miss our company's Christmas Dinner in the Cafeteria (which I was told was VERY nice) because I had to go right from there to the show.

I worked 9 hours yesterday with no breaks, no dinner, and one stop in the bathroom. My Manager is getting an ear full. The Banquet's guy is either going to have to bill the client for my extra work, or get a nice verbal reprimand about doing that again, maybe this time it will escalate to a written, as he does this a lot to us.

Yes, I am still pissed about missing dinner, I find most of the stuff in the Caf to be on the inedible side, last night looked and smelled wonderful, but I didn't even get a taste.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/16/17 11:46 a.m.

Pro-tip:

If your idea of leadership is being a dick, yelling at me, and trying to embarrass me over the radio, you just better stand the berkeley by. 

I’ve been playing mind games like this since I was in my teens, and I guarantee you will not like the end result. Life’s about to get really miserable for you, Mr. Back-up lead.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/16/17 1:05 p.m.

Changing radius arm bushings went smooth, leave and somehow my tire shake problem is back. This is on a completely diffrent set of wheels and tires. I really dont want to rebuild the suspension before christmas.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/17 5:41 p.m.

That was exciting.  Today I was welding up the wife's Christmas gift.  Somehow I left a dirty rag where it would catch fire.  Lobbed it out the door into the snow but it fell short into the 6 bags of charcoal I stockpiled for winter.  The head broke off my fire extinguisher (metal, not a recalled one), and I hurt my knee dragging the garden hose out from the basement.  I kept the fire from getting out of hand so I guess I have that going for me.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/16/17 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

"D'oh!" seems appropriate.

At least your story can be told from a not-burnt-down house.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
12/17/17 6:10 p.m.

My work laptop won’t boot up after returning from a work trip.  It acts as if it has no power whatsoever.  Tried a couple of the remedies suggested for that model online, as apparently it is a known problem, and they didn’t work.  Hopefully the IT guy at the office can deal with it, or at least recover the data from the hard drive, as there is some stuff on there I don’t have backed up to the company network.  Not to mention I really don’t want to spend a few days reinstalling all the software.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/17 6:29 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Pull the battery out and leave it disconnected for about an hour, then plug it to the power adapter, press and hold the power button.

worst case, your IT will have to pull the hard drive and move your files before repairing things.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
12/17/17 6:39 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

I’ll have to give it a try again, tried something similar, but did not wait an hour.  It also has an internal battery with a reset button on it.  Some people report the reset button doesn’t help, and they have to pull the internal battery.  I’d try that on a laptop I own, but I’m not disassembling a company owned machine.

Another annoyance, usually I work from home, tomorrow that’s not happening.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/17/17 8:19 p.m.

Im getting sick. Just in time for the vacation ive been needing. Dammit.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
12/18/17 8:41 a.m.

Since when did two day shipping from a major online retailer mean I'd get stuff in 8 days?? If I had service like that on my eBay store, I'd get dinged for shipping time from anyone who bought anything.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/18/17 8:44 a.m.

Ugly sweaters as a feature.

When did that become a good thing?  Now people are actually designing brand new and very ugly sweaters on purpose.  

Not a trend I will ever get into.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/18/17 9:27 a.m.
alfadriver said:

Ugly sweaters as a feature.

When did that become a good thing?  Now people are actually designing brand new and very ugly sweaters on purpose.  

Not a trend I will ever get into.

Long ago there used to be a mail-order company called Archie McPhee.  They scoured the manufacturing catalogs world-wide, and found all kinds of bizarre and inexplicable consumer items, mostly cheap toys and the like, which they sold through their own catalog.  It was a riot to get the catalog in the mail and page through it to see what they had found.  We ordered a bunch of stuff form them.

After a while, they decided there was more money to be had by commissioning their own bizarre and inexplicable consumer items.  It instantly became uncool, and I never ordered anything from there again.

Just another interpretation of my motto - "You can't fake patina."

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/19/17 8:50 a.m.

I hate HIDs and LED headlights all of them.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/19/17 9:26 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

OE are usually not the problem.  It's retrofits that cause the agony and make me want to machine-gun the offender.

I've also found it to be a dominance thing in some cases.  I live in a small city on the edge of a rural area.  One night, as I was heading into town, a newish Ram truck came up behind me from outside of town.  As we got into the area of street lights, he killed his headlights and just ran with markers and bumper lights in traffic.  That meant his headlights were approximately at car level and not blazing in my mirror, but all his markers and tails were on for good visibility.  On the other hand, I regularly pass a new Ford brodozer, which has megawatt LEDs high and low beams, plus cabtop markers, and auxilliary light bar.  He must be proud of them, because he drives with Every. Single. One. On.  All the time.  If I found that truck unattended somewhere, I'd spray them all out flat black.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/17 9:53 a.m.
Duke said:
93EXCivic said:

OE are usually not the problem.  It's retrofits that cause the agony and make me want to machine-gun the offender.

I've also found it to be a dominance thing in some cases.  I live in a small city on the edge of a rural area.  One night, as I was heading into town, a newish Ram truck came up behind me from outside of town.  As we got into the area of street lights, he killed his headlights and just ran with markers and bumper lights in traffic.  That meant his headlights were approximately at car level and not blazing in my mirror, but all his markers and tails were on for good visibility.  On the other hand, I regularly pass a new Ford brodozer, which has megawatt LEDs high and low beams, plus cabtop markers, and auxilliary light bar.  He must be proud of them, because he drives with Every. Single. One. On.  All the time.  If I found that truck unattended somewhere, I'd spray them all out flat black.

*PROPER* Retrofits are as good as OEM. It's the people who just stick HID bulbs into reflectors or run their LED light bars all the time. 

I had an LED light bar on my old truck, but only used it on back roads when there were no other cars. 

Then after I got a warning for it (Because "offroad lighting" needs to be COVERED on the road in PA at least.) I did a retrofit, and did it right. The light output was way better, and way more precise, and actually legal. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/19/17 10:18 a.m.
Duke said:
93EXCivic said:

No I hate the OEM ones too.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/19/17 10:23 a.m.

Had a much longer rant typed up, but really didn't need to post that much detail. Trying to TL;DR it a bit...

Was supposed to spend Christmas in Hawaii with my family, instead am spending it in Wisconsin (projected temps for Christmas day: high of -1F, low of -14F) with SWMBO's family. The reason why is a fairly good one... but it still sucks missing out on going to Hawaii and instead spending the weekend in assbiting cold and potentially multiple feet of snowfall.

Issues (that I believe I've resolved, but SWMBO is not wholly unjustifiably paranoid) with SWMBO's SUV which is our usual means of transportation combined with none of our other vehicles being either large enough, reliable enough, or both, mean that we're going to have to rent a vehicle for the trip- so another $400 expense (plus however much more fuel it burns more than the Mariner does...) to rent a mid-sized 4WD truck for the trip.

Only slight good thing about this is that we will have a LOT more carrying capacity than usual, and thus I can more justifiably than usual try and find deals on parts and tools while we're there...

EDIT: Oh, and while I hopefully will have the Jeep transferred and sold in about an hour, I just found that the vehicle I'd identified as being the best candidate to pick up next has apparently been sold.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
12/19/17 12:26 p.m.

IT couldn’t get my computer booted up, but at least they were able to transfer the data to a new machine.  Still means I’m going to lose a lot of config  info, and take way too long getting some apps reinstalled.

But that’s not my rant.  I’ve been so sick for the last two days that the most I was able to do was take it in to the office Monday morning.  The rest of the time has been spent in bed, on the couch, and the bathroom.  If I don’t get better fast, I’m going to miss out on Christmas gatherings, as I have some family members with somewhat compromised immune systems.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/19/17 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Both Tunawife and Tunawife's sister, they both have hammered me over how things can be haunted and no longer trustworthy. As someone who fixes things, this is infuriating. I fix, and they still don't trust.

1 ... 725 726 727 728 729 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L19A9qDmf4pZIRQoiFp1PmuNs6KdKPrNs7ZTYFtbbd8rRn9gZHMxcxGer0wz1SnM