1 ... 726 727 728 729 730 ... 1927
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/19/17 1:35 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I don't exactly have that problem... SWMBO isn't wholly unreasonable in this respect- if she were just being paranoid without any justification I'd have pushed back more on taking it. The fact is that we don't exactly know what was causing the problems that it had and while what I fixed might have completely resolved the issue it also may just have improved things overall to push it back to running more normally. If I had just done the tune-up because I knew it needed it this wouldn't be an issue, but since it was really driving badly less than a week before a 600+ mile drive (each way) and I didn't come across anything in what I did that was a clear, "AHA! THAT'S the problem!" I'm also inclined to err on the side of caution.

Had we had another week or so to drive it around and confirm it was behaving not only around town but on closer out-of-town trips I'd have pushed to take it, but as it is both with the distance and the very bad weather where we're going having a newer (presumably...) well-maintained vehicle seems the wiser move even if the expense annoys me. We have gotten a flat on this drive before- it really sucked having to wait the hour for it to get fixed when you know you still have 7+ hours more to drive.

Plus, as I said- this will admittedly give me a much better chance at getting things if all I have to do is throw it in the bed of the truck. devil

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/17 2:34 p.m.

well, I have to admit I got officially screwed on my cheap trailer I was going to build into a teardrop. I can't register it in NJ because even though I got a bill of sale, I have no proof it was ever registered. It's been six months and I no longer have the previous owner's address or phone number, so my choices are

A: leave it on some side street and see how long it takes to disappear 

B: call a junk yard and have it scrapped

C: see if anybody here wants my little nightmare -Literally, just come and take it. I am done with it, I do not want to see it, in my mind it is already written off and nothing more than a learning experience.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/19/17 2:38 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

I have read in these here pages that Maine will register trailers sight unseen for nonresidents.  YMMV.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/19/17 2:39 p.m.

Have you tried registering it in Maine?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/19/17 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Vermont will also, just need to send in a registration application with the bill of sale and they will send you plate and registration. They don't require titles on trailers under 1500lb so you could take that registration to NJ and get a title. 

So, WildScotWife, you have no problem voicing your thoughts on my spousal duty failures of every sort, and would have me accept each "critique" with an abject apology. But if I comment on how it might benefit you in the mornings if, at night when you get home from work, you would always place your purse, laptop bag, badge, keys, and coat in the same single place every time (as opposed to last night's trail which went: mud room desk, kitchen rear counter, bathroom cabinet top, and dressing closet)... I am the worst person IN  THE WORLD and blahhrrrrg blabbitty boppity yyadahhh.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/17 4:00 p.m.
EvanB said:

In reply to Duke :

Vermont will also, just need to send in a registration application with the bill of sale and they will send you plate and registration. They don't require titles on trailers under 1500lb so you could take that registration to NJ and get a title. 

the trouble with that. NJ knows that loophole and they make if very difficult to bring a vehicle in from VT or Maine.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/19/17 4:05 p.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed :

I don't have too much trouble with that stuff - DW is a good systematic preparer,  to a fault sometimes.  But I know what you're up against.  Our current analogue for your situation goes like this:

DW: <winces> Ouch!  Damn! Ouch! <grimaces and gingerly moves arm>

Duke: Shoulder blade muscle again?

DW: Yep.  Damn, that hurts.

Duke: Why don't you get a deep tissue massage?  It'll hurt for a bit, but I bet it will cure the problem.

DW: Yeah, not happening.

Duke: How about PT?  The place you went for your Plantar's fasciitis really seems to have fixed that up for you pretty easily...

Duke <thinks to self> ...when you finally went after hobbling around on it for 2 years. <keeps thought to self>

DW: <gasps, sucks in pained breath, screws up face> I just need to strengthen it a bit. <does nothing to strengthen it a bit>

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/19/17 4:06 p.m.

But if it can stay registered in Maine, what's the issue with that?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/19/17 4:34 p.m.

Tell them it's a Kentucky trailer.  No motor: no registration.  No plates, no taxes, no nothin.  It's a fair exchange for the usage tax on everything motorized we get dinged with each year.

Hell, if anyone asks you just tell them it's mine and you're borrowing it.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/19/17 5:55 p.m.

Just got a package from Amazon.  Someone sent the wrong stuff.  AND it was way late.

Good indicator that brick and mortar stores will still exist.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/19/17 7:08 p.m.
WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed said:

So, WildScotWife, you have no problem voicing your thoughts on my spousal duty failures of every sort, and would have me accept each "critique" with an abject apology. But if I comment on how it might benefit you in the mornings if, at night when you get home from work, you would always place your purse, laptop bag, badge, keys, and coat in the same single place every time (as opposed to last night's trail which went: mud room desk, kitchen rear counter, bathroom cabinet top, and dressing closet)... I am the worst person IN  THE WORLD and blahhrrrrg blabbitty boppity yyadahhh.

Have you not gotten to the point where you realize you have no say in such things?  Guys don't get to tell wives things.  That's just the way it is.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/17 9:07 p.m.

What a way to come back from vacation.  I miss the good old days where if someone got shot in Times Square at 4am the investigation was just “He was out in Times Square at 4am”, they scooped up the body and the world went about its business.  To shut down an entire area for most of the days was reserved for Presidents or dignitaries being assassinated. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/19/17 9:56 p.m.

Pizza Carry Out Insurance

Why is this actually a thing? 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/19/17 11:09 p.m.

i was in my garage tonight so i decided id start my zephyr, its been sitting since october 4th. get in, pump it once, crank it, it fires and dies. spend 2 more minutes fighting with it before remembering i unhooked the choke to trouble shoot an issue with the car on hard left turns. Hooked it back up, car fired right up!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/19/17 11:28 p.m.

Life has its highs and its lows and I am suffering from extremes.

In October I did a long drive in my Miata (10 hours over 2 days) and went from some sciatica to severe pain. 3 weeks of PT later, go back and have an MRI which reveals a herniated disc in addition to a straightening of the spine.  No PT options as with the straightening it could destabilize and make worse, so on to a neurosurgeon...   (this is about early november)

When I say pain, I am unable to get in and out of the car.  Unable to climb stairs without heavy reliance on railings.  Nevermind lifting or even standard stuff like loading a dishwasher...  Cant be on my feet more than 30 min, cant sit for more than 2 without pain.  Thankfully work is understanding and lets me telework, so I lay flat on my chest on a bed with the computer on the floor and do my stuff.  (since early october)

Wife and I find out we are pregnant with our first.  (not unwanted, been long term planned)

Surgeon says get a pain shot and we can see, but you already have had no improvement over a month, so you need spinal surgery.   Keep in mind, early november.  Scheduling puts that at the 18th of december, a cancellation gets it moved up to the 28th of november.

about 3 weeks out from surgery.  Pain level is a little bit less, but still disabling (but different, before a cough or sneeze would keel me over and I had severe sciatica pain.  After surgery, just core back pain with mild sciatica), but with meds I can walk a mile or two around the block, but am under severe restriction.   Also on strong medication, so no work since late last month.   No lifting over 5lbs, no bending/squatting, no sitting over 20 min.  just lay around and take pain meds and try to take a few walks a day.

Its getting to me really badly.  Wife is having a rough first trimester and works full time and I cant care for her and she has to care for me. 

My first post-op with the surgeon is in a few days.  but communicating with the nurse the other day, I am 3 weeks out from even starting PT to recover. With the only message being SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN dont do anything but the light walking. try to trim back the pain meds, which has been rough, but I need to to get back to at least teleworking so I can preserve SOME leave for when we have our kid.

I hate feeling helpless.  Its even worse watching my wife exhausted and having her care for me.  The worst is not knowing at all when I will be back to living life.   laying around for 3 months is going to present its own uphill battle, much less the back recovery.

Anyone here ever have a microdiscectomy?   I could really use some beacon of hope. 

Also, a warning.  If you have a car you love, but feel a bit sore in the back after driving it for an hour or two. DONT take it on a long trip, or you too could sail down this river of misery.

Probably trading the miata out for a suburban or other tow beast in spring, willing that I am actually on my feet by then.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/20/17 8:31 a.m.

Dear Cadillac, if you are going to make your touchscreen displays so that they delaminate and fracture for no real reason every 6 months, then at least make them easy to replace. Replacing the center stack display should not require removing the front seats and floor console. And yet, you managed to make it so.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/20/17 10:06 p.m.

Oh boy, this week in Daylan's internet classified misadventures, trying to sell an Olds Bravada roller by listing it on Facebook market place.  Already got a no questions $150 offer. And somebody saying "I'm interested in this item" and nothing else. Now waiting for somebody to ask if the truck with no engine runs. I can't fathom how people can break even on LS swaps by parting out donor vehicles. How the hell is anyone patient enough not to strangle the 12th person that replies to your ad with stupid questions and obvious scams? 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/20/17 10:37 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Facebook marketplace is probably not the place to make money parting out cars.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/20/17 10:39 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Well craigslist blocked my IP for the 4th time this year and I haven't taken the time to find any better platforms. I agree facebook marketplace is terrible. My craigslist experience has been just as bad. 

wae
wae Dork
12/21/17 6:58 a.m.

I'm running a Christmas Bingo at the school tonight.  I've gone out of my way to be able to provide some great prizes and to have some give-aways for everybody that comes.  In order to be able to give those prizes away, I have to tweak how we play just a little bit and take out the game where if you bingo on one of two numbers during the night you get an extra 150 bucks.  I also have to suspend our usual practice of giving players 20 free pulltabs during the month of their birthday.  Those are both for tonight only.  Most nights we don't pay out that extra $150 anyway.  And if you haven't claimed your birthday pulltabs yet this month, you can come next week and get your freebie.  So it's not that huge of a deal, really.  But I just know that there is going to be no end to the whining and the complaining.  People are going to bitch about that.  There will be a stream of people that claim that they just can't be here next week and heaven forbid if they were to miss out on twenty bucks of pulltab games!  There's already been whining that we're going to interrupt the bingo session to take five minutes to raffle off a 55" TV as a no-extra-cost door prize, so I'm sure that's going to ramp up.

There is no doubt in my mind how and why the previous bingo coordinators have basically all snapped and run away...

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/21/17 7:47 a.m.

"Santa Baby" is so irredeemable creepy, I fail to understand how it still gets played on the radio.  A woman trying to sound like a toddler is NOT sexy.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/21/17 7:52 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

To be honest any of them are terrible for selling a rolling shell. People are pretty awful to deal with on average! As many problems as it has I’ve ended up with most of my sales through eBay. The best part is you usually don’t interact with the buyers at all beyond receiving payment and shipping the item. But it’s a little tough to ship a shell!!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/21/17 7:59 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

"Santa Baby" is so irredeemable creepy, I fail to understand how it still gets played on the radio.  A woman trying to sound like a toddler is NOT sexy.

Agreed, plus the date rape song, aka "it's cold outside"

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/21/17 8:00 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Daylan C :

Facebook marketplace is probably not the place to make money parting out cars.

I will never sell anything on Facebook again. The local one is just terrible. People asking stupid question and making stupid offers. My crap will go on Craigslist from now on. The people for Craigslist generally just pay for E36 M3 and move on. 

1 ... 726 727 728 729 730 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
krdKc3P8QfnsoFLZfzfXiXciSMyx2Uag0gJ8UM4SLN2XjILi9H0uptoIzPJVxiuW