1 ... 727 728 729 730 731 ... 1929
Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/21/17 8:42 a.m.

Literally every FB Marketplace ad I have ever looked at seems like a scam. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/21/17 8:44 a.m.

This is why I hate the news:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/15/investing/general-electric-fossil-fuels-renewables-coal/index.html

GE doubled down on fossil fuels in 2015 by acquiring Alstom's power business, which makes coal-fueled turbines. 

This is completely untrue. Alstom makes both gas and steam turbines. Gas turbines, somewhat obviously, run on natural gas, which is absurdly clean in terms of emissions. Steam turbines, somewhat less obviously, but still within the reach of thirty seconds on Google, run not only on coal, but also in nuclear, and process steam (which adds zero emissions, since they use existing steam which would otherwise just be pumped to atmosphere), and combined cycle (another absurdly clean application).

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/21/17 8:45 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Eventually I  can see myself taking way less than my $500 asking price just so I don't have to deal with hauling it to scrap. But not 10 minutes after I post it. If selling the whole thing doesn't work I might try selling small stuff off of it on eBay.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
12/21/17 8:55 a.m.
tuna55 said:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/15/investing/general-electric-fossil-fuels-renewables-coal/index.html

GE doubled down on fossil fuels in 2015 by acquiring Alstom's power business, which makes coal-fueled turbines. 

This is completely untrue. Alstom makes both gas and steam turbines. Gas turbines, somewhat obviously, run on natural gas, which is absurdly clean in terms of emissions. Steam turbines, somewhat less obviously, but still within the reach of thirty seconds on Google, run not only on coal, but also in nuclear, and process steam (which adds zero emissions, since they use existing steam which would otherwise just be pumped to atmosphere), and combined cycle (another absurdly clean application).

Natural gas is a fossil fuel, and the article didn't state 'only' coal fueled turbines.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/21/17 9:04 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

"Santa Baby" is so irredeemable creepy, I fail to understand how it still gets played on the radio.  A woman trying to sound like a toddler is NOT sexy.

And yet no one ever plays RUN-DMC's Christmas in Hollis.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/21/17 9:09 a.m.
onemanarmy said:
tuna55 said:

Natural gas is a fossil fuel, and the article didn't state 'only' coal fueled turbines.

Wow dude, did you read the sentence quoted? It is either intentionally slanted to make it look like they only make coal fueled plants, or it's totally lazy. Either way, it's not done well, and it leads the reader away from the truth, rather than to it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/21/17 9:18 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

"Santa Baby" is so irredeemable creepy, I fail to understand how it still gets played on the radio.  A woman trying to sound like a toddler is NOT sexy.

A gold-digging ho looking for a rich daddy isn’t sexy, either. It’s also creepy. 

But it’s still not as creepy as “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”. 3 and a half minutes of soon-to-be sexual assault, right there. The way they sing all over each other just adds annoyance to the disgust. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/21/17 9:20 a.m.
Duke said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

A gold-digging ho looking for a rich daddy isn’t sexy, either. It’s also creepy. 

But it’s still not as creepy as “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”. 3 and a half minutes of soon-to-be sexual assault, right there. The way they sing all over each other just adds annoyance to the disgust. 

A) There is a version of Santa Baby sung by a guy that is incredibly terrifying.

B) The line in "Baby It's Cold Outside" that goes "Say, what's in this drink?" is really wrong. Rohipnol, it's Rohipnol in that drink. I really feel like this one should have been stricken from the roster this year, in light of the ongoing sexual abuse scandals

C) On the subject of Christmas songs, "I'm Getting Nothing For Christmas", there is the line of "Broke my bat over Johnny's head". Oh, you're getting something for Christmas. It's called a jail sentence, because you just committed freaking homicide.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/21/17 9:36 a.m.

B) Yeah, in most versions I’ve heard, it doesn’t take much imagination to hear that in a couple more verses, he’s gonna be tired of persuading her, and start getting impatient.  I agree, this one seems like maybe people would start recognizing how inappropriate it is, after recent events. 

I got in a Facebook argument with a guy who basically accused me of being a Costas-whipped pansy for thinking this. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/21/17 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

On the flip side, if you don't think "Zat You, Santa Clause?" by Louis Armstrong is the best Christmas song, then you are wrong.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/17 9:41 a.m.
NickD said:
Duke said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

A) There is a version of Santa Baby sung by a guy that is incredibly terrifying.

B) The line in "Baby It's Cold Outside" that goes "Say, what's in this drink?" is really wrong. Rohipnol, it's Rohipnol in that drink. I really feel like this one should have been stricken from the roster this year, in light of the ongoing sexual abuse scandals

C) On the subject of Christmas songs, "I'm Getting Nothing For Christmas", there is the line of "Broke my bat over Johnny's head". Oh, you're getting something for Christmas. It's called a jail sentence, because you just committed freaking homicide.

You know, I'm not a fan of Christmas music as it is, but this just makes it worse! I have to say I never realized some of these until now. Wow...

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/21/17 9:48 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/21/17 10:09 a.m.
dculberson said:

In defense of Baby It's Cold Outside: https://www.buzzfeed.com/andyneuenschwander/someone-wrote-a-feminist-defense-of-baby-its-col?utm_term=.dfdOVaVQ0#.pkyBgmgAk

Read it: not convinced. It's a date rape song.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/21/17 12:49 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to dculberson :

Eventually I  can see myself taking way less than my $500 asking price just so I don't have to deal with hauling it to scrap. But not 10 minutes after I post it. If selling the whole thing doesn't work I might try selling small stuff off of it on eBay.

I think I had about an even split of people on FB and CL offering me absurd amounts like $100 for the Grand Cherokee (which I had listed from $600-$750 over the course it was for sale). Look, I accept there's going to be some haggling- I sold it for $550 when it was listed for $600- but offering roughly half of what scrap value would be? When it RUNS and I could just drive it to the scrapyard and make more than that, or take the time and part it out and likely make more than my ask for it whole? Yeah, no. Also, the apparent assumption that if they were going to pay me CASH MONIES that I would drop my price to 1/6th of what I was asking. It specifically says CASH ONLY in the listing- you could be offering me 5 times what I was asking but wanting to pay with a check and I'd still tell you to cash it yourself and pay me from that.

Ashyukun (Robert)
12/21/17 1:01 p.m.

Over lunch we picked up the rental truck for the trip up to the Great White North (take that any way you want) to SWMBO's family's place this weekend. Extended-cab Chevy Silverado. HOLY HELL is that thing a boat... and it's not even the 'heavy duty' model. I think I could almost fit the Rampage in its bed (and yet, ironically, I think it's likely still shorter than the Riviera was...).

Its size isn't my rant... it's that (not including fuel) we're paying $500 to rent it for the week, 1/4 of which is the $20/day damage waiver which honestly, I'd just as soon had not paid- but after an incident my parents had with a rogue shopping cart badly denting a rental car SWMBO was pretty insistent that we have it.

Really wish I'd seen the listing for the SUV I'm hoping will work out to replace the Grand Cherokee last weekend- we might have been able to buy it (for just 3x what we're paying for the rental...) and drive it instead.

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/17 1:29 p.m.
93EXCivic said:
dculberson said:

In reply to Daylan C :

Facebook marketplace is probably not the place to make money parting out cars.

I will never sell anything on Facebook again. The local one is just terrible. People asking stupid question and making stupid offers. My crap will go on Craigslist from now on. The people for Craigslist generally just pay for E36 M3 and move on. 

Glad to read it's not just me then. I had a very similar experience trying to sell a few items on local FB groups and it looks like I'll be going back to eBay and CL.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/21/17 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Never, ever, ever, wave the insurance. Ever. I was side swiped by a hit and run driver. $3,500 worth of damage on a new Cruz with 400 miles on it. The insurance was  $9/day. I has it for 5 days. Saved my ass.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/17 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Or use a credit card that includes rental insurance and tell the rental agencies to go pound sand.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/21/17 2:00 p.m.

Sore throat and cough that makes my ribs feel broken. Merry Christmas to me, and happy vacation!

Ashyukun (Robert)
12/21/17 2:54 p.m.

And now SWMBO is worried that we will have to put our luggage in the bed of the truck (it doesn't have a cover) and that getting a truck was a bad idea. -_- I really hope that the rest of the trip goes better than this last week...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/21/17 3:06 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

And now SWMBO is worried that we will have to put our luggage in the bed of the truck (it doesn't have a cover) and that getting a truck was a bad idea. -_- I really hope that the rest of the trip goes better than this last week...

I picked up a used toolbox for this reason.  Treat it like a waterproof trunk.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/17 3:11 p.m.
Appleseed said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

And yet no one ever plays RUN-DMC's Christmas in Hollis.

I play it pretty regularly but then Beat Street is one of my favorite Christmas Movies.

Ashyukun (Robert)
12/21/17 3:13 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

We have a good number of solid plastic totes that we usually have on a hitch-mounted carrier behind the SUV we usually drive... SWMBO is likely annoyed because she'll either have to pack lighter or split up her clothes between smaller suitcases/bags that will fit into those totes instead of one massive suitcase (or we'll have to eat up some of the space for the dog in the back seat of the truck with said suitcase). Were this a truck we owned I'd definitely have something like that, but not for a rental truck...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/21/17 3:19 p.m.

Sadly, you picked wrong. Should have rented a minivan. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/21/17 3:37 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

The Beverly Hillbillies drove across the country with the old lady in a rocking chair in the back of the truck.   Your luggage will survive.   

1 ... 727 728 729 730 731 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EZy7twAfeTDRmQb3mLEiUegvgnoBDoxelQ99Rl7A5ynoV4phLlyoPTEpTgCiADYK