1 ... 732 733 734 735 736 ... 1929
Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
1/5/18 9:05 a.m.

And the hits just keep on coming!  My company "forgot" to pay me today.

I'd drink myself into a stupor tonight, but that's kinda counterproductive and costs too much.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/18 9:07 a.m.
Tactical Penguin said:

In reply to NickD :

It's a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport.

a brand new car should not drink coolant like a fish

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
1/5/18 9:15 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Agreed!  I'm debating on bringing it in intentionally under the low level mark on the overflow tank so they actually believe there's a problem, but I've got a couple more nights of single digit temps on my commute before I can drop the car off.

I've used one gallon of 50/50 mix in a week.  I'm annoyed, and ready to head back to the wonderful world of beater cars.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/18 11:01 a.m.

In reply to Tactical Penguin :

Yeah, that's definitely not right. Even with the Rampage's heater core pipe problem I'm still only on my first gallon of 50/50 despite having to top if off every morning I drive it for the last 2 months (which definitely sucks on mornings like today where it was almost zero F out...).

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/5/18 12:17 p.m.
Tactical Penguin said:

Agreed!  I'm debating on bringing it in intentionally under the low level mark on the overflow tank so they actually believe there's a problem

If you do that, they will top off the coolant and report "Topped off coolant level to recommended level."

mad_machine
1/5/18 12:23 p.m.
Tactical Penguin said:

Agreed!  I'm debating on bringing it in intentionally under the low level mark on the overflow tank so they actually believe there's a problem, but I've got a couple more nights of single digit temps on my commute before I can drop the car off.

I've used one gallon of 50/50 mix in a week.  I'm annoyed, and ready to head back to the wonderful world of beater cars.

did you buy it new? If they stop believing you, you can always let the engine overheat and fry, You have the proof you brought it in for cooling issues, make them eat it

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/5/18 12:27 p.m.

My Navigator decided to have the right front hub start to sing an unhappy tune.  No garage to repair it.  Freezing cold temps and remnants of the blizzard.  The boiler won't keep the pilot light on for more than an hour, and the pressure relief valve is dribbling. And now the hot water heater sprung a leak.  And how's your day?

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
1/5/18 12:46 p.m.

Woke up this morning to that feeling of the house being too cold.  Took a lukewarm shower then went to investigate.  Downstairs is at 55, no gas.  Booted through the snow and reset the regulator safety valve, furnace action after a few relight attempts .  Upgrading to bigger rant if the process needs to be repeated after work.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
1/5/18 12:50 p.m.
Duke said:
Tactical Penguin said:

Agreed!  I'm debating on bringing it in intentionally under the low level mark on the overflow tank so they actually believe there's a problem

If you do that, they will top off the coolant and report "Topped off coolant level to recommended level."

This is what I assumed.  I suppose I'll be getting cozy in the waiting area and drinking coffee for however long it takes to annoy them.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
1/5/18 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Tactical Penguin :

they've got almost a dye in the factory coolant, remove the plastic cover and look, its not uncommon for the spring clamps to weep when there has been a radical temperature change, pretty easy to see, and if you have been using coolant , i would think it warrents a look.

don't know why so many techs/dealerships "poop the bed" on warranty repairs

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/5/18 3:55 p.m.
NickD said:

Is it me? I feel like its me. Every time I try to organize a get-together with people in my life everyone bails on me.

Case in point: My friends have long been bemoaning the fact that, despite all living within a 15 mile radius, we never see each other. New Year's Eve starts coming up and I invite the whole gang over. Food and drinks on me even, and a planned trip to a killer diner for hungover breakfast. Instantly 1 friend cancels because he's working. Another just says "No". One says he might make it (Never does, then texts me 3 days later to apologize that he didn't make it.) One just never answered the fact and proceeded to message another saying he wasn't going to come but didn't tell me. And my last, and best, friend says that if no one else is going to be there, then he isn't going to come, plus he has to go pick up his worthless older brother. 

Now, me and two coworkers that I get along with really well were planning on doing a birthday visit to the local bar (mine is the 6th, their's is the 8th and 9th). Mentioned it today to one of them and they said "Oh, yeah, I can't make it." Waiting for the other shoe to drop now.

And people wonder why I have no self-confidence or self-worth. Everyone seems to let me down.

Well, that went as predicted. Got called off because everyone bailed on me. Again. Happy freakin' birthday to me.

mad_machine
1/5/18 7:54 p.m.

Sorry Nick.. we can wish you a happy birthday!

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/5/18 7:59 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Happy birthday! (in 3 hours)

I feel your pain. I have no friends that I've seen in person in the last ~6 months - and maybe 2 that I've even spoken to. It sucks.

wae
wae Dork
1/6/18 7:54 a.m.

I don't know who invented these Christmas-lights smoke detectors, but I want to kick them in the tender bits.  When one goes off they ALL go off.  I suppose that is mighty handy if you are having an actual fire, but 99.999% of the time that they go off it is because of cooking or a malfunction of an individual unit.  But when they are all going off with no indication of which one is originating the signal (usually in the middle of the night of course), it's a 20 minute procedure to make sure there isn't a real fire and then days of troubleshooting to find the unit that is malfunctioning.  berkeley the code, I'm going to just buy a house full of the individual stuck-on detectors and just leave the breaker off on these other ones.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/6/18 9:15 a.m.

I just replaced all three of ours in our house last fall - I thought them being tied together was a good idea as my front hallway alarm is far from our bedroom alarm.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/6/18 10:56 a.m.

I just heard that my brother, upon hearing that his wife wanted a divorce, lost his mind, sold all of his tools and equipment (he was a diesel mechanic) and decided to try his hand at direct sales. That was about a year ago, we haven't kept in touch. 

Anyway, on New Year's day of '18 he was arrested with some of his wares and a few tools of his new trade. He's looking at 6 felonies, $200,000 bail ( $20,000 bond but, nobody in our family has that kind of disposable scratch) and up to 60 years.

New Year, new him.   

sad

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/6/18 11:22 a.m.

I had my fabrication groove on. Making fantastic progress. 

Power just went out. 

berkeley.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/6/18 2:44 p.m.

In reply to wae :

If you get the right ones it's easy to tell which one was triggered. The triggered one beeps then the rest of them beep. So it's beep - BEEP - beep - BEEP. Ours do that and they're BRK brand. Super sensitive to kitchen smoke though.

wae
wae Dork
1/6/18 2:48 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

These are BRK as well and they're supposed to identify which one is the source by flashing a red light.  But apparently when the system malfunctions the source doesn't think it is the source and keeps its light turned off.

The concept is great, I'm sure, but the execution has been less than stellar.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/6/18 3:13 p.m.

I just wanted to take the ornaments off of  the Christmas tree, not undertake a comprehensive review, inventory, and repacking of every Christmas decoration we’ve ever owned. 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
1/7/18 9:21 a.m.

I'm starting to think I'm losing my mind.  We've JUST had a conversation regarding this matter less than 4 hours ago, and you decide to bring it to my attention again like it's ME who has no idea about what's going on?

:googles just how early "early onset dementia" can occur:

wae
wae Dork
1/7/18 10:22 a.m.

Nevermind.  Rant cancelled.  I thought the battery disconnect solenoid had failed, but it turns out that the converter bypasses the battery disconnect so that's why the lights came on when I plugged in the RV.  The batteries remained disconnected and aren't fully drained.

Replacement rant: why does the editor on the forum replace my tap-and-hold gesture menu in Android with its own menu?  I wanted to select all and then delete but instead had to hold down backspace for 20 seconds.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
1/7/18 11:40 a.m.

The car I found for a desperate family member just over a week ago is now up for trade on Offerup.  Can't say I'm surprised.  Disappointed, but not surprised.

So the (now 7 month old and rapidly approaching 80 pounds!!!) German Shepherd pup has decided he really really really likes coffee. any coffee the he can reach. REALLY??? And he is now long enough to nearly reach the kitchen backsplash. MY mug of coffee is his preferred target, but really any accessible cup of coffee will do. And he's both quick and sneaky about it. Come on dude, we're close but not THAT close. So if you ever have coffee at my house, best to be acutely aware of a new ring of coffee drops surrounding your mug that weren't there 30 seconds ago when you looked away, lest you get some GSD backwash. Blech.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/8/18 8:47 a.m.

Most of the time, I really like living where we do- but when I'm trying to find a new (to us) vehicle is not one of those times.

We badly need another vehicle- the Rampage is really not well-set-up to be a daily driver and it has an ever-growing list of small things the need fixed that are progressively making it less enjoyable to drive and SWMBO's Mariner likely needs new front bearings & CV joints and (though this may get put off more) definitely needs the engine torn down to find why it leaks oil like a sieve. An extended-cab truck or medium-sized SUV with 4WD is what should fit the bill and be useful for the longest amount of time, and for once, it needs to be something that we can just buy and drive and not have a laundry list of things that I need to do to it before I'm comfortable either driving it myself or letting SWMBO drive it.

Up until last night, I was trying to keep the search down under $1500 or so- a tall order I know given that trucks & SUVs are consistently the most overpriced variety of vehicle around here. I'd found two vehicles locally that remotely fit our bill- a nearly 30-year-old Dodge Dakota that honestly I would have jumped at under other circumstances but I wouldn't be comfortable with as a DD, and a 2000 Expedition that had a lot of potential but the was just too much of a boat for SWMBO to be comfortable with driving. After discussing it with SWMBO last night, we decided it was worth upping the price on my search, doubling it to $3k.

You know what I found? Very, very little difference in the age and mileage of what I was finding with my lower price cap, though a much larger selection. Despite the time and cost involved it's increasingly looking more likely that I should just go to either Louisville or Cinci (either requires both SWMBO and I to drive there and drive separate vehicles back or rent/borrow a large tow vehicle & trailer- both with the risk the that the vehicle(s) we'd be looking at work work out and it would be a day's time & gas and/or rental wasted).

1 ... 732 733 734 735 736 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3prBn6jpUEozZbPem5zT0IKhRNuDbvPuRDoRhrHmam3aRH83Bi6WJRsHpYy3vkAj