In reply to Knurled. :

Dust!

Wind!

DUDE!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
2/16/18 12:43 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

I can't believe there are men on the internet taking a romantic interest in Kim Jong Un's sister. Think things through, guys. That would only end two ways: You end up with the worst in-laws ever, or a psycho ex girlfriend who is used to watching her enemies executed by anti-aircraft cannon.

Jody Arias.  We're pretty dumb.  frown

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/16/18 4:53 a.m.

Verses starving to death? I'll take my chances with the psycho with the flak cannon.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/16/18 5:32 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Yeah, I don’t plan on letting the insurance company cart it off.  Regardless of what happens, I’ll drive it for a while myself, since the damage is so minor.  Just don’t know if it’ll get fixed, or if this will accelerate my plans to buy something else.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
2/16/18 7:42 a.m.
Wally said:

berkeleyed again. I have a short turnaround getting out at 3:30 and coming back at 2:30 am so of course I have just pulled out into the worst traffic I've seen in months. Sleep is overrated.

I feel you.  Getting off a 12 hour shift tonight at 8p and have to be back in at 2am for another 12.  At least there's usually no traffic on the hour long commute home.

I'm tempted to camp out at work, but would likely spend more time trying to get comfy than just sucking it up and making the drive and sleeping as soon as I get to the apartment.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/18 8:10 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

They did, but the municipality I was in doesn’t do police reports for incidents in parking lots, so hopefully they don’t change their story.  It was a full size Chevy van, so the only damage to it was some paint scratches on the bumper.  The GS took the brunt of the damage.  Fortunately, it was very low speed, and the hit was behind the wheel, so it’s likely there’s no critical structural damage.  I’m kind of torn at this point, as it’s one of the favorite cars I’ve ever had, but it’s worth so little that I’m not sure what to do if the damage exceeds the value.  I guess if they cut me a check and let me keep the car, I’ll just live with it, but I’d rather it get fixed, so I’m hoping the cost comes in low enough that it is worth repairing.  Since it’s on the fender with rust, I’d even be tempted to kick in a little extra to get that fixed at the same time.

Buick Regal GS? I can't figure it out from your Rides entries.

Oh, also, got another speeding ticket this morning. I get the feeling that I'm receiving a disproportionate share of this country's speeding tickets.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/16/18 8:24 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Bummer about the speeding ticket.  Do they hammer your insurance there for them as much as they do in the states?  That’s why I slowed down on the road, hated spending so much to insure a car.

It’s a Lexus GS430, I really need to update my Rides information.  Bought it from dculberson just over a year ago.  At 275k miles, I am somewhat concerned with what they’ll value it at.

GameboyRMH
2/16/18 8:28 a.m.

I won't get hammered on insurance, but I will likely get a ~$500 ticket to pay on a third world income sad

Also it turns out the cops were out in force this morning because a dude wrecked himself in the early morning hours and died. I thought it might've been me driving the Corolla yesterday that brought them out cheeky

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
2/16/18 11:15 a.m.

Kid came home sick Monday, had the flu. My wife's chrones medicine kills her immune system so now I have a sick wife and feel fairly crappy myself. So much for her getting too shoot her new gun this weekend.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/16/18 11:27 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to WilD :

I’m in a similar boat.  Lately I’ve been wondering how expensive it is to live in a trailer in the middle of nowhere in the desert.

The critical things are water and power.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/16/18 11:31 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Our cops will write an incident report for a parking lot snafu.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/16/18 1:05 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

Our cops will write an incident report for a parking lot snafu.  

Must depend on the location.  I’ve had police reports written in the past for parking lot accidents, but I called the PD that had jurisdiction, and they said they didn’t do it.  I have an appointment Monday to have it checked out.  Fingers crossed, but looking at it in the light, I don’t think it is too bad.  I think it may depend if they will pull the dent or whether they want to replace sheet metal.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/16/18 2:28 p.m.

I just spent the better part of a day transitioning back from my loaner computer to my freshly-formatted old computer - installing and customizing software, arguing with the various Adobe and Office tools, getting my Acrobat stamps and CAD toolbars working again, etc etc etc.

All that work and it's not even a new computer, just a reformat and fresh Windows installation.  But it beats working with a loaner, and it beats daily crashes and lockups.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/16/18 6:28 p.m.

Set up SMS alerts the last time fraudulent credit card charges started happening, and my phone has just now started lighting up with incoming charges from “green” juice and MLM health food companies.

Company shut down the card quickly, so minor rant for impact. 

Gotta ask why MLM and health food though.?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/16/18 6:42 p.m.

Aaaaaaand.....

just got a call from one of the companies the fraudulent charges were made at, so whoever did this had my name and telephone number.

Time to contact the credit bureaus...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/18 6:44 p.m.

In reply to Tactical Penguin :

We have people that camp out at work regularly but I only do it in very bad weather. Even in a nicer car it's still an uncomfortable place to stay.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/18 12:47 a.m.

One of my co-workers had his work account hacked. They got everything, checking account, SS numbers, his last pay cheque, even his W2s. The FBI is now involved and work wants him to pay for "lifelock" to protect whatever he has left.

Two weeks ago I got an email on my work email stating that it was the code for the password change I had requested. Obviously they never got in as they would have needed my password to get the email, but people are nipping around the edges of "work day"

GameboyRMH
2/17/18 6:22 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Also it turns out the cops were out in force this morning because a dude wrecked himself in the early morning hours and died. I thought it might've been me driving the Corolla yesterday that brought them out cheeky

Update: Turns out the guy was trying to race a severe asthma attack to the hospital and didn't make it.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
2/17/18 10:13 a.m.

and now i have the flu.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/17/18 2:05 p.m.

I think my vintage record player has turned into an electronic project. Hnnnnnnnnnnn.

pheo
pheo New Reader
2/17/18 10:01 p.m.
dropstep said:

and now i have the flu.

Crap, and your family is already sick. Hang in there. 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
2/18/18 5:27 a.m.

Well, E36 M3...

The last of my "reset button" jobs I applied for got back with me yesterday, and it's a no...at least for now.  I think the fact that I live about 700 miles away is giving them pause no matter how willing I am to relocate.  I'm on their list though, so maybe I should hold out hope for that.

I'm wallowing in self-pity for a couple hours, then applying for more stuff.  What else can you do?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/18 3:06 p.m.

First road trip with the new car.

The cruise control is broken.

I know, I know, I think cruise control is bad, but I do find it necessary in a quiet car with a slow turning engine, since there is NO way to gauge how fast you are going.  There is no feedback.  50mph feels like 90mph.  So what I do, is set the cruise control to whatever minimum speed I want to drive, and then accelerate past traffic as I come up to it.

Volvo, in their infinite wisdom, turns the cruise control off if you apply the throttle for more than about 10 seconds.

Thinking about selling the car...  Part of the reason I got it was for long distance driving.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/18/18 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

There's no work around that? Seems like it could be defeated somehow.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/18 3:44 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

I assume that cruise control is integrated with the PCM since it is drive by wire.

The S40 had no problem with this method, and since it was drive by cable (the cruise actuator actually pulled on the accelerator pedal), I also had feedback as to where the cruise "setting" was.

The Quantum had cruise, but I stopped using it when I found that it would happily give me WOT if the situation demanded it.  That is all well and good but it also meant I would have to downshift if I needed more go, and I wouldn't be able to plan for the downshift since I wouldn't know I needed to downshift until it was too late.  (And how the hell does anyone drive a drive by wire car with a manual trans, anyway??)

1 ... 752 753 754 755 756 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7hNt7hyPZT9Nt2DJTHjjhPx4wC8wSkoECV6mTl5bK2TKw8mfKvCnO6opggpR3A6X