1 ... 767 768 769 770 771 ... 1926
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/17/18 11:07 a.m.
barefootskater said:

I hate working in sales. I hate the fact that my whole purpose in being employed and spending 8-10 hours a day away from my family is to try and get other peoples money out of their pockets. I don't care about money. As long as I can support my family I have enough and the rest is just wasted on me. I don't want a ton of money, and I definitely don't feel that I have a right to other peoples money if only I can upsell them on a little more junk. I need to find a line of work where productivity is based on actual productivity and not just on numbers.

I’ve been on sales for 20+ years and love it.  I have two views:

1. I educate people on products.  Once they understand the different products available they can easily make an educated decision.  

2. People hate to be sold to - they hate the slick used car salesman type of guy where you check your wallet and wash your hands after shaking their hand and talking to them. 

BUT people LOVE to buy stuff - look at the materialistic society we live in.  Your job is to assist and help them make their purchase.  

I hate upselling too.  I sell what I can and move on.  Find a product you can enjoy selling - I sell industrial hoses and gaskets - people need my stuff and I enjoy going into facilities and helping them get what they need.  

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/17/18 11:42 a.m.

March 14th,my birthday,  7ish AM EST, dark and snowing, a kamikaze black cat took itself out on my air dam. The air dam was a casualty of the 55ish mph colision. Now the Matrix's front ground effects are in the trash. This roughly a month after the kid at the tire store screwed up the side tupperware on both sides by not flipping up the little legs on the lift. This is how cars become beaters. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
3/17/18 11:47 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
barefootskater said:

I hate working in sales. I hate the fact that my whole purpose in being employed and spending 8-10 hours a day away from my family is to try and get other peoples money out of their pockets. I don't care about money. As long as I can support my family I have enough and the rest is just wasted on me. I don't want a ton of money, and I definitely don't feel that I have a right to other peoples money if only I can upsell them on a little more junk. I need to find a line of work where productivity is based on actual productivity and not just on numbers.

I’ve been on sales for 20+ years and love it.  I have two views:

1. I educate people on products.  Once they understand the different products available they can easily make an educated decision.  

2. People hate to be sold to - they hate the slick used car salesman type of guy where you check your wallet and wash your hands after shaking their hand and talking to them. 

BUT people LOVE to buy stuff - look at the materialistic society we live in.  Your job is to assist and help them make their purchase.  

I hate upselling too.  I sell what I can and move on.  Find a product you can enjoy selling - I sell industrial hoses and gaskets - people need my stuff and I enjoy going into facilities and helping them get what they need.  

I don't mind the job, really. I like the company I work for and usually get along well with the people I work with. It's just the part where I try to sell people things that I would never buy. I sell car parts for a very reputable Japanese car manufacturer. I don't like their cars or trucks, I find them overpriced and boring. Being raised poor I tend to buy used parts or aftermarket for my own stuff and have to really control myself to not tell everyone who walks in how to save about 50% on everything. If my job was to genuinely help the customer I don't think I would sell very many parts. I feel like I'm keeping something from them and I really hate that aspect of it. Also the trucks. I detest the trucks we sell and generally hate lifted trucks in general. We sell a LOT of lift kits. I think they look like E36 M3 but I just smile and say it looks great and swallow the bile. It could be worse I guess. I could work every weekend... Oh, wait..

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/17/18 12:15 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

You need to find a job selling people stuff they need and you like to sell.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/17/18 12:53 p.m.

March Madness: When degenerate gamblers pretend to give a E36 M3 about college basketball. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
3/17/18 4:27 p.m.

They have me on steroids to try and get the swelling out of my knee and ankle. I can't walk without pain but man do these give me a E36 M3load of energy to do nothing with. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/17/18 6:24 p.m.

Went to install the oil drain plug in my engine I'm swapping into the Miata (junkyard sourced, so drain plug was MIA) and discovered that some berkeley absolutely destroyed the threads in it. So now I have to helicoil the oil pan while it's on the engine and in the car.

wae
wae Dork
3/18/18 10:54 a.m.

My wife is very much not detail oriented.  I usually manage to compensate for that but this morning I forgot so now I'm at a soccer game with a kid in the wrong jersey color because I didn't think to bring the other color as a contingency...

And of course it's my fault.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
3/18/18 11:34 a.m.

Got out the monster on Friday, not perfect but drivable.  Bad oil leak from the timing chain cover.  Yesterday I spend 5 hours tearing it apart and sealing it properly, new gasket, sealed both sides with the black snot.  Let it cure overnight.  Today I pull it out of the garage......AND THE EFFING LEAK IS WORSE!!!!!

and I burned my finger on the header.  This is failing to amuse me.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
3/18/18 12:06 p.m.

Nope.  I'm just that big an idiot.  This effing cover has a hidden hole behind some casting parts for a "dipstick plug". So I just need a $4 plug to stop this leak.  Back to autozone I go.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/18/18 12:21 p.m.

Ordered new headlights for the wife's 07 4Runner. It's been a while, so I checked tracking. Delivered Thursday to the "front door or front porch.”

Yeah, nope.

I messaged the third party seller through Amazon, but I'm fully ready for this to be a hassle. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/18/18 12:47 p.m.

I do understand I come off as an angry prick fairly often. Now that that is out of the way, why are manners more important than expecting places to have standards?

I've complained a few times recently about absolutely garbage food that should not have ever been served. Turns out, it's not just me thinking these things about these local places, but I'm the only person actually saying or doing anything about it. 

How do you expect tweedle Dee and tweedle dumbass to learn from their mistakes if no one points them out? I get crappy food, for not insignificant amounts of money, it goes back. Even if it came delivery. Just throwing it away does nothing. They already have your money, and if you don't complain, and they're obviously not up to self quality checks, they assume they're doing just fine. So they will continue doing poorly. 

It's like getting an F on a test, if you didn't know the right answer before, how are you supposed to learn without knowing where you messed up in the first place?

There is a time and a place for peacefully complaining, but that time is not after spending $30-40 on food your dog won't even eat. That's a time to get a refund, and hand the dipE36 M3 a basic cookbook or an application to foot locker. If enough people actually start demanding refunds instead of just swallowing the crap their handed, and it starts to affect whoever is in charges wallet, they will either figure out something is wrong and fix it, or go bankrupt and the problem solves itself. 

The customer is not always right, but no one gives a E36 M3 about anything until it affects their bottom line. Negatively affect their bottom line, instead of your bottom line. Rewarding incompetence helps no one, and that's all you're doing not getting your money back. 

Can I turn this into a business somehow? Go in and teach people how to cook their menus properly? Like bar rescue without the annoying drunks?

Of course the last time I did that somewhere I worked, I took them from hemorrhaging $25k a month down to only $5k a month, and was promptly fired. Turns out that particular restaurant only existed to lose large sums of money to offset the profits from the successful locations. They can't possibly all be tax shelters, can they?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/18/18 2:07 p.m.

Nice day today. So top down in the miata. 

Every motherberkeleyer on a straight piped Harley felt the need to ride at my door and dump 3 gears for blasting out my eardrums. Now i have a ringing left ear and a headache. 

Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed. Or breathe. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/18/18 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

You need to find out were they live, borrow a straight piped 13B Mazda, show up in front of their house at 2:00am and do repeted 9,000rpm clutch dumps. Cap it off by shouting, "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!"  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/18/18 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

You, sir, are my new hero.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
3/18/18 2:38 p.m.

Just got done moving an ancient and very heavy sleeper sofa out of my basement.  My buddy David was on the low side providing thrust and I was up top trying to guide it out the back door.  He thought it was in a bind, so he gave it a good shove and pinned my right hand between the couch and the door knob.

Nothing is broken, but boy is it a swollen, tender mess.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/18 2:45 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

You need to find out were they live, borrow a straight piped 13B Mazda, show up in front of their house at 2:00am and do repeted 9,000rpm clutch dumps. Cap it off by shouting, "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!"  

I've had people in trucks try to change lanes into me.  You can't fix inattentive.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
3/18/18 4:16 p.m.

I am unreasonably annoyed by Reba McIntyre and her KFC commercials.

Not her as a person, just her on the commercials. 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert New Reader
3/18/18 4:38 p.m.

"That being said" , "With that said", "That said", and "Having said that" It's as bad as when NPR got stuck on "genre"

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/18 6:34 p.m.

When I was a kid I wanted to grow up and work on a race team. My wife tries to make that dream come true by constantly driving lie she’s in a rally car and then when the driveway is a cold and muddy mess telling me it needs something like brakes and surprising me with little games like “What’s that rattle?” Today I crawled under to find this piece bent and hanging by one rivet.  It’s a fairly thick piece of steel that looks like it protects the exhaust from whatever the berkeley she ran over this time. The bottom of the rear bumper was also torn a bit and there was a plastic shield completely missing.  

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/18/18 8:36 p.m.

GRRR!!  Tax time, don't wanna, but hafta.  GRRR!!

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
3/18/18 9:33 p.m.

Today's the first day in a week wear I can put any weight on my right knee so of course I was dumb and tryed to overdue it. Guess who's back with an ice pack and hoping I can hobble into the doctors tomorrow without crutches!

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/18/18 10:33 p.m.

Cat fight broke out on the FB 911 site for my county last night.

Post was "How bad are cops out tonight?" (St. Patty's Night)

Only several replies among the many were 'please don't drink n drive'. OP responds w/ how dare you judge me, I'm not drinking I just wanna know. (well, ya coulda fooled me). Soon enough a battle starts between young and old, pro-cop vs anti-cop and drinkers vs non-drinkers. Much name calling. Slut, whore, bitch, skank, c-word, n-word, suck a mile of d**ks, memes and gifs. One girl called another out to fight in town. Admins musta been off for the night because this went on for a solid eight hours till morning, at least 150 comments by my conservative estimate. 

Not fair to judge based on the demographics of one site but all offenders were white females 30 yo and under. Holy berkeley, not the first time either, they argue about everything. Females prolly outnumber men by 2:1 there. Guys don't normally do this E36 M3 and there's plenty of other women that play by the rules.

There's a sense of entitlement here as I seen. I can post whatever I want, I can say whatever I want. I have first amendment rights (Uh, not here sweetheart, there are site rules. No profanity, obscenity or attacks on others and no postings not related to incidents and emergencies). Same crowd posts other useless E36 M3. I heard helicopters, what's going on? I heard whistles (sirens) going up the road, wassup? I heard esplosions. I saw a light in the sky. Stupid, stupid, stupid neb-nosy bitches.

Admins removed the thread later in the morning. I hope they banned all offenders. There'll be more tho, no doubt.

I know, I know FB but it is really a good site w/ valuable information. Police, fire and EMS, weather and road conditions, accidents and traffic restrictions, missing persons and alerts. Really paid off w/ the EF-1 tornado that hit town in February.

Ain't always been like this, hope it's just my berkeleyed up county and a social media thing, I dunno yet tho. indecision

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/19/18 7:10 a.m.

Hey, Appleseed, why aren't you on FaceBalls? 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/18 10:12 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
mad_machine said:

Last night was a long night. 3pm in, 3am out. On the way home, idiot in the civic behind me decided he was tired of me only doing 5 over the limit and a light turning red was the perfect opportunity for him to use the turning lane to pass. If he had waited at the light and gunned it when it went green, I would have thought less of him, but that would have been the end of it, Instead he gunned it around me, ran the red, and plowed into a delivery van that had the green.

Thanks, idiot, you just ruined your car, hurt yourself, hurt an innocent driver, and made is ALL late to get home. I did not get in till almost 5 this morning due to this asshattery

Didn't your Grandmother ever tell you, "Nothing good ever happens after midnight."?

if only I had the choice on wether to be out or not. I really hate driving home on "Amature night"

1 ... 767 768 769 770 771 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qnpHTYJNj3AjFeLYLzlmIFWDnv9vwDjF94e8a0CDrfIDBNgZbaYCM85TOtPNt3C6