1 ... 776 777 778 779 780 ... 1929
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/18 8:29 p.m.

I’m beginning to wonder if maybe the world did end in 2012 and we’ve all ended up in hell. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/10/18 8:59 p.m.
Wally said:

I’m beginning to wonder if maybe the world did end in 2012 and we’ve all ended up in hell. 

That would explain a lot of my life.

Got my taxes in on time and paid upfront this year. Another 20K on top of what they take normally and the quarterlies. Not a big deal as that just means it was a killer year. Really good all the way around.

Rany

2K fine I needed to pay as well for last year because my accountant berkeleyed up the extension paperwork. He has been fired I was not amused at his response that the IRS lost the paperwork. They lost the paperwork but took the check in the same envelope. They never have screwed up anything with me. Always an excuse always a little late. Did them myself this year no real issues as things have mostly calmed down.

Also someone shipped me about 8K rounds of 9mm that has a bad case size about every 40 rounds. So I am sitting in front of the TV tonight and case sizing them all in a barrel. Totally not worth 0.12c a round. Sucked it up and got another 2K of CCI at around 0.16c for the next coupe months to use when it matters.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
4/10/18 9:20 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Knurled. said:

It's T-minus 4 days to the first rallycross and my car is still a pile of parts and it is still cold enough that I can only work for a half hour or so until my hands are useless.

With how saturated the ground is right now, I suspect you’ll have an extra week to get ready...which brings me to my rant - if the event is delayed, I’ll miss it because I’ll be busy on the rain date.

Came here to say four days till the first rallycross of the season and that's the day the WRX decides to make loud clunking noises in the area of the driver's side front wheel when I turn...right... if I remember.  Was on the way to the SCCA meeting and turned around to switch cars.  Imagine 40 years ago saying you had to take the Fiat because it's more reliable?

And I too will miss the rain date, having scheduled a vacation w/ SWMBO two months ago, around the RX/AX schedules for the year.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/10/18 9:36 p.m.
Wally said:

Funny, as I was just saying something along these very lines the other day.

We've staked this same job over 20 times already. 20 damn times because the engineer running the show is an asshat. I said maybe we actually died in a fiery car crash and this is our purgatory. Staking this damn job for eternity.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/11/18 7:50 a.m.

Got the check off in the mail for our taxes yesterday- it's by far the most that we've ever been short and had to pay. On one hand, as I tell SWMBO, I prefer to end up paying a bit as opposed to getting a refund since it means that we're not just giving the government an interest-free loan, but owing just short of what I make in a month is a bit annoying. Not good timing for the hit either since we should be finalizing things for the construction loan for our cabin soon.

Speaking of which, that's another rant- was supposed to hear from the loan guy at the bank well over a week ago but have still heard nothing from him. If there's any hope of getting the cabin build before the end of summer it needs to get rolling ASAP.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/11/18 7:56 a.m.

Witnessed this morning on my way to work: 

Some local podunk police department is running a speed trap just outside a small town I pass through. As I am approaching, Buford T Justice comes rip roaring out, making a left turn across traffic and almost side swiping the Mitsubishi two cars ahead of me. I guess he was expecting the Mitsu driver to come to a screeching halt when he saw the cop waiting to pull out with his lights on, but realistically the guy barely had any room to do so and had to drive off onto the very narrow shoulder to avoid getting hit.

About a mile down the road, Buford catches up with his target and pulls him over - stopping in the MIDDLE OF THE berkeleyING ROAD, over a rise, with poor visibility. Traffic comes to a screeching halt, nearly causing a pile up, then has to creep by one by one into the opposite lane. I laid on my horn pretty hard as I snuck past, causing Officer DipE36 M3 to turn around and give me the death gaze. Yup, really making the roads safer today, dumbass. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/18 9:44 a.m.

From a post I made in the Minor Win thread:

Got called for an interview for a cybersecurity job that could pay first-world grown-up money. Might not go any further than that, and it might be rearranging deck chairs on the titanic to get another job here at all, but it's nice to get called in!

Turns out I was far too optimistic. I didn't even get the interview due to a woman at that company who is senile at best or participating in a malevolent conspiracy to mislead applicants at worst. They first called on Thursday evening they asked if I could come in on Friday morning, a hilariously unworkable time, especially since I already had a dentist's appointment that day. I suggested some alternate times, they said they'd call me back.

Then on the weekend a particular employee who identified herself as....I'll say Mrs. G, called me and arranged an interview for Wednesday at 12:30, and asked that I call on Monday by 12:30 if I couldn't make it. Wednesday was mentioned multiple times. I repeated that date and time back to confirm. I have a witness on this. So everything was set for Wednesday at 12:30.

Then on Monday close to 1pm, I'm finishing up my lunch when I get a call. It's Mrs. G asking if I'm not coming to the interview. I'm completely dumbfounded by this. I tell her that she told me it was set for Wednesday. In an offended tone she tells me no, it was Monday. I apologized (even though I'm really damn sure I'm not at fault) and asked if it could be rescheduled. She said she'd call me back on that.

On Tuesday evening I still haven't heard back and in an attempt to prevent more problems I try to call her. She finally texts me just before 5 reiterating that the interview was supposed to be on Monday and that they can't reschedule since "the panel is not available" and thanks for showing interest angry

I suppose I shouldn't be angry since even if I were to get the job, this woman probably works in HR and her senility could randomly bite me in the ass at any time. There is another possibility...I'd like to think they're just giving me the runaround so that they can say they tried to hire a local before they bring in a foreign worker at a much greater salary (as local companies like to do for some reason..EDIT: It's worth mentioning that this is a foreign-owned company) and I never really had a chance in the first place, but who knows?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/18 10:06 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That really sucks, but based on the story, you are right and you REALLY don't want to work for them anyway.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
4/11/18 10:29 a.m.

Couple years ago I was drooling over a turbo kit for my then DD. Cost was 3600 for "stage 1" or $4100 for "stage2" which included a front mount IC and a few little things to allow it to push 12 psi instead of only 8. 

Now that I am in a much better financial position and can actually realistically entertain the idea there is only one option, "stage1", and it now costs more than stage2 did two years ago. WTF? I want an intercooler because summer here is pretty brutal and while I have access to a welder, the idea behind buying a kit is so I don't have to fab anything.

*edit- Scratch that last. I misread the site. It includes the IC and stuff. 

New rant: My kid, <2yo, has been under the weather, and constipated, poor kid.  So I was up until after 5 this morning and had to be at work by 8. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/11/18 4:59 p.m.

Side gig this afternoon.   Dulled chainsaw and stump grinder won't start.  Grumble!

Alright, better.  Next door neighbor and small engine mechanic brought my spare saw and got the grinder started.  5:30-8 pm and made $270.  Threw $50 to my buddy for his help.  Decent recover for the evening.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
4/11/18 5:20 p.m.

My older sister tagged me in that stupid Facebook thing where every day for 10 days you have to post an album cover of an album "that changed your life" and tag a person each day. I'm not doing this dumb E36 M3. To begin with, I'm not bugging 10 people. And second, I don't think there is any music album that "changed my life". I may enjoy music, but I guarantee if I never listened to any of the stuff I listened to, I'd still be the same core person. Hey, sis, why don't you find an album that helps you get your E36 M3 together and start adulting and stop relying on your 10 year younger brother to bail you out?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/18 5:44 p.m.
NickD said:

My older sister tagged me in that stupid Facebook thing where every day for 10 days you have to post an album cover of an album "that changed your life" and tag a person each day. I'm not doing this dumb E36 M3. To begin with, I'm not bugging 10 people. And second, I don't think there is any music album that "changed my life". I may enjoy music, but I guarantee if I never listened to any of the stuff I listened to, I'd still be the same core person. Hey, sis, why don't you find an album that helps you get your E36 M3 together and start adulting and stop relying on your 10 year younger brother to bail you out?

This is why I have my security set to have me approve tagged photos and posts.  That way I can just have them float on by if necessary.

Personally, I'd talk to your sister about finding more productive ways to spend her time.  Just me though.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/18 7:19 p.m.

So my Father is finally home and a bit shaken. I think he finally realized he is not 20 years old anymore and that he is quickly running out of lives. The Seizures have given him small holes in his memory that he can fill if he thinks about it (and they stay filled once he does) but there is some small minor damage done.

Now I get to play damage control at work as I blew up at some of my more obnoxious co-workers. I am not all that much of a sociable person to begin with, but I was really not feeling sociable the last couple of days. Things that would have only mildly irritated me made me blow up. Now to get back to normal

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/11/18 7:32 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Glad to hear your dad pulled through with minimal problems. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/11/18 7:48 p.m.

And berkeley your co"workers" if they can't handle it. 

wae
wae SuperDork
4/11/18 7:53 p.m.

I swear next year I'm going to make sure I have all my paperwork in order nice and early and I'm going to get my taxes done and ready to be mailed in before April.

Strangely enough, I think I said the exact same thing about this time last year.

And the year before that.

And...

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/11/18 7:56 p.m.

I've been off and on dealing with foot, ankle and knee pain. Finally feel decently human and the only other guy that knows how to run the flush machines puts in his 2 weeks notice. Hopefully the next 2 follow ups go well.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/18 9:52 p.m.

I have the sh--wrench this week.  At one point, I had five bays tied up with immobile vehicles.

One car had a broken flexplate.  Dropped trans out to find that the torque converter hub broke off.  Well, hey, at least we found the ATF leak.  Stuck while waiting for authorization for further repairs.  This is car #2.

Next morning, car got towed in with a broken ball joint.  This is car #3 but we're just waiting for parts, in the meantime...

Wheel bearings and hubs on another car.  Remove uprights, press out hubs and bearings.  Open first box, which contained bearing, hub, circlip, and axle nut.  Installed in first upright.  Open second box, which contained bearing, circlip, and axle nut.  No hub, someone liberated it it somewhere along the way.  Replacement hub is a day away, vehicle is dead.  Car #4.  But the parts are now in for #3.

Remove the outer half of the axle, remove two halves of ball joint, rotate steering to the side so I can try to get a slide hammer with Vise-Grips attachment on the inner cup still stuck in the trans... and the strut top lets go.  Fortunately the strut/upright/brakes assembly is prevented from falling down by the tie rod and my head.  Have a lovely lump right at my hairline now.  #3 now dead in the water.

On to #5:  a VWAG product with "a check engine light and some other warning lights".  Engine runs but the cluster tells me to push in the clutch to start.  It's an automatic.   Nothing is communicating with anything and then it goes TU electronically in the bay.  Solved that one after some head scratching (gingerly...), put #3 back together with innovative one piece strut top, okay, things going better.

Today, got parts to put #4 together, slam it together and done.  Got parts to put #2 back together.  Spend half the day putting it together, and when it is complete, find that the starter is dead.  Click, no crank.  Click click click clickclickclickclickWHYDOESEVERYTHINGITOUCHDIE???  But I ain't down.  Move on to a simple job, alignment on a BMW.  One of the inner tie rod ends breaks off in the outer when I try to turn it.

I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.  I might break something.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/12/18 2:20 a.m.

OMFG.

It's my friday.  the jet is broken.  It needs an engineer to fix.  That's me. 

Unfortunately I'm the middle man in the process.  So even though I spent all day yesterday, and half the day today preparing the repair and the documentation to support it, both the person who initiates the process, AND the final sign-off authority are off in motherberkeleying lala land.  Meanwhile maintenance is standing at the repair spot with tools in had, unable to do jack or E36 M3 because they don't have the authorization to move forward...

So I'll be stuck here late, on my friday, because one guy cant be bothered to log in and click "submit" (seriously, that's ALL he has to do) and I cant leave until the other guy logs in and clicks "approve".  

Also, my boss flat out refuses to make a decision.  I just watched him argue both sides of the argument while we all tried to guess which way he wanted to go so we could work to support it.

Is it beer-thirty yet?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/12/18 2:30 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

In reply to Mike :

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Please fondle my buttocks

(Late, I know.  But I couldn't let that one pass!)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
4/12/18 6:09 a.m.

I know you know this already, but drive home that he needs to be careful with Tramadol- it may not be an opioid but it can be pretty scary.  I was on a heavy dose for a while and had some instances of lost time, mood swings, and I'm sure other strange E36 M3 that I've forgotten- and that was just taking the prescribed amount exactly when I was supposed to.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
4/12/18 8:30 a.m.

Customer: My car makes a noise while driving. 

Go out and get in the car and start it and the fuel gauge needle doesn't even come off the bottom stop. Berkeleying really?! How the devil am I supposed to drive your car to hear your noise if there isn't any berkeleying fuel in the thing?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/12/18 8:32 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

It's been an evening...

-Stop at Lowe's to get a power cord for the dryer, realizing that I didn't take a picture of the plug. Get home, and naturally it's the wrong one. 

Last night I returned the wrong cord and picked up the correct cord. Went home, wried it in, tested and the dryer turned on and seemed to work. 

I should say that this washer and dryer set was in the basement of the house when I bought it a year and a half ago, unknown if working, and I finally decided to test to see if I could actually do laundry in-house.

Put a small load of garage clothes in the washer to test it out. Washer filled up. That's it. No spin, no drain, just filled up with water and sat there. I left it for a bit to see if it had some sort of delay, but it just continued to sit there. I then had to wring out each piece of clothing and put it in a bag to be washed elsewhere, then proceed to drain the water out one bucket at a time. 

And I also pissed off my Fiancée.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/12/18 9:55 a.m.
NickD said:

My older sister tagged me in that stupid Facebook thing where every day for 10 days you have to post an album cover of an album "that changed your life" and tag a person each day.

Mostly what that has taught me is that people who are willing to do stuff like that have E36 M3 taste in music.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/12/18 11:41 a.m.

They've been cutting down trees in the yard behind my backyard today, with very high winds.  The inevitable happened.  At least none of the workers were harmed and the tree service is insured, but I'm still going to need to repair a fence, and assemble a new shed...

1 ... 776 777 778 779 780 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YyLaA9l1xMri6rUb4Cl1adVMeSAOk6Mqwo4LH0wxassoZXY0HUJX9CVsOXD8RgAJ