1 ... 780 781 782 783 784 ... 1926
Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/18 11:22 a.m.
Wally said:

Ugh!!!  My wife called to say she was in an accident this morning and had some cuts on her face. Her phone also stopped working so that's the last I heard. I raced up to the hospital from work and now I'm sitting in the waiting room for almost half an hour. They keep saying she's getting tests done, can't say more and I can't see her until she gets back. I just need to know everything is ok.

Wow.  Thinking good thoughts for you both.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/18 11:59 a.m.

Thanks everyone.  She's headed for another cat scan.  Today's "I've rarely seen that before" lesson came from the orthopedist. Who knew you could dislocate two bones in the same ankle.  She says I don't take her expensive places anymore but this is her second hospital stay in a year. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/18 1:05 p.m.

damn Wally. I would not want to be married to you. Take care of your wife, let her know we are all thinking of her, and I hope everything comes through ok both physically and financially

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/19/18 2:23 p.m.

Best of luck and medical science to you guys, Walls.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
4/19/18 2:28 p.m.

I don't have the words to adequately describe my level of hatred for wind.  Dust. Loud enough to keep me up all night. Can't finish any projects outside.

Wally
4/20/18 12:10 a.m.

She made it through the surgery, turns out you can break three bones in your ankle if you try, and the anesthesia didn't put her into a coma like last time.  I'm sure I was a pain in the as to the anesthetist but I wanted to get across how bad it went last time and make sure it wouldn't happen again.  Everyone that has treated her so far has been super.  Of course I came home to find out I ran out of oil so I just put 20 gallons of diesel in the house got the boiler restarted.  A shower will have to wait until morning when I have hot water. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/20/18 12:41 a.m.

My older cousin and her husband were found dead in their home last weekend by the County Sheriff following a check on the welfare request. It's being investigated as a double homicide. News has been slow, the Sheriff Dept only released their names to the public five days later. No suspects, no motive or manner of death. No obituaries to be found yet either. 

Some kinda what the berkeley moment.

We were never tight tho, big age difference. Last I saw them was over 45 years ago. Only a few memories. A couple of free spirits that took off to do their own thing I suppose. Very little communication from remaining family either. As a kid I thought they were pretty damn cool.

During one visit cuz was digging for something in the diaper bag, she pulls out a .45 and lays it on the kitchen table just like a baby rattle or sumthin'... that set Mom back just a little, ha ha. I berkeleying loved it.

Her husband was a Marine recently back from Vietnam, had a '68 Dodge Super Bee w/ 4-speed, Holley carb n intake, cam, headers and shorty header mufflers. First hole shot car I was in and first trip over a buck ten. He pulled the hole shot just to piss off my aunt who was riding w/ my folks behind us. I'm diggin' this E36 M3. That car and those rides cemented a 10 y/o kid on the path to becoming a gear head. E36 M3... the stuff you remember. Thanks Larry.

Not much else, drink a few in honor of them and tell a few cool stories is all I got.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/20/18 6:21 a.m.

Damn, dude, that's heavy duty. I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully there's justice in the future. 

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
4/20/18 1:52 p.m.

Package is still seemingly stalled in New York.  

No response after emailing USPS, the contact email address from the bottom of their canned response bounces as undeliverable.  

berkeleying incompetence.  

AND heard back from the teaching program I was hoping to resume, the gist of *that* email was that I should look elsewhere.  

Yay!

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
4/20/18 4:44 p.m.

Pretty sure riding a motorcycle while the air is packed full of pollen isn't the smartest thing I'll ever do.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/18 7:00 p.m.

shiny happy person dog ate half a pizza

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/18 7:54 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Mike said:

Both paragraphs are on the same page of the owner's manual. 

Translation- You can drive our vehicle on roads with many different surfaces.  Don't drive it like we do in our TV commercials, or we will void your warranty so fast it will make your head spin.

More like:

"We gave you the option of shifting into 4WD because the collective automotive marketing forces convinced you that you wanted it.  However, driving anything in 4WD on anything but really loose surfaces makes anything handle extremely poorly, and you're probably too much of an idiot to respect that, so we have to tell you to just plain not do this.  Also, we had to make so many compromises in order to make a 4wd vehicle palatable for driving as a commuter vehicle that it would self-destruct within 500 feet of driving off road, so you shouldn't do that either.  Enjoy the 12mpg truck you bought for no reason other than to stroke your fragile ego!"

Flip side.  My Subaru had a 4x4 style transmission.  The owner's manual said that if you tried to drive with the transfer case lever in 4wd, it would bind in parking lots.  That's it.  And, it really did drive just fine if you left it in 4wd all the time, which I did.  It barked and bound a bit in parking lots, but that's it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/20/18 7:55 p.m.

another 200$ in alignment and setup and the Viper drives straight and true. I have no idea how the rear camber got to -2.8 on one side and -1.2 on the other. toe was 0.04+ and -0.07 as well.

alignment shop says every single bolt was not snugged up and that could have done it. They actually had me check before they touched the car it was that bad. I sent a doozy of a message to the shop that touched it before.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/20/18 9:03 p.m.

I went to Popeyes for supper tonight and they gave me white meat. Not Ick, just Meh.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/18 9:42 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Mike said:

Both paragraphs are on the same page of the owner's manual. 

Translation- You can drive our vehicle on roads with many different surfaces.  Don't drive it like we do in our TV commercials, or we will void your warranty so fast it will make your head spin.

More like:

"We gave you the option of shifting into 4WD because the collective automotive marketing forces convinced you that you wanted it.  However, driving anything in 4WD on anything but really loose surfaces makes anything handle extremely poorly, and you're probably too much of an idiot to respect that, so we have to tell you to just plain not do this.  Also, we had to make so many compromises in order to make a 4wd vehicle palatable for driving as a commuter vehicle that it would self-destruct within 500 feet of driving off road, so you shouldn't do that either.  Enjoy the 12mpg truck you bought for no reason other than to stroke your fragile ego!"

Flip side.  My Subaru had a 4x4 style transmission.  The owner's manual said that if you tried to drive with the transfer case lever in 4wd, it would bind in parking lots.  That's it.  And, it really did drive just fine if you left it in 4wd all the time, which I did.  It barked and bound a bit in parking lots, but that's it.

I'm not saying your statement is wrong, but this is for the 2018 Ford EcoSport. No driver controls whatsoever for the 4wd system, and pretty decent mileage. (You can say "AWD," but Ford uses "4wd," so I am too.)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/20/18 10:02 p.m.

Why the berkeley did gm design the 99-2000 truck this way??? Either pull the intake or the cab to get the engine out as the oil pan doesn't clear the front differential, and the intake doesn't clear the cowl. Its also impossible to get to the trans bolts with the trans in. 

berkeley this thing

Im pulling the cab off with a backhoe tomorrow. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/20/18 10:06 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Why the berkeley did gm design the 99-2000 truck this way??? Either pull the intake or the cab to get the engine out as the oil pan doesn't clear the front differential, and the intake doesn't clear the cowl. Its also impossible to get to the trans bolts with the trans in. 

berkeley this thing

This is why I cheered when the new owner drove away in my 99. I was debating just lighting it on fire in my yard after working on it. Hopefully yours atleast isn't rusty!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/20/18 10:08 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

It is. Thank god i just bought the engine. But pulling this engine, in the dirt behind a single wide at the back of a sleazy trailer park.....

And the gmt400 platform is so simple and easy. Why would they berkeley it up this bad with the next generation?????

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/20/18 10:10 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

berkeley this thing

The front diff is held in with four bolts...  Don't like the GM?  Try a Ford.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/20/18 10:18 p.m.

Really? 4 bolts? Wish i had knownthat 3 hours ago.

Are new fords that much worse? Haven't messed with a ford newer tan the 70s other than putting a starter in a ranger. 

Knurled.
4/21/18 5:34 a.m.
Mike said:I'm not saying your statement is wrong, but this is for the 2018 Ford EcoSport. No driver controls whatsoever for the 4wd system, and pretty decent mileage. (You can say "AWD," but Ford uses "4wd," so I am too.)

Bear in mind that I have two AWD cars at the moment and one of them would be classified as a truck if were made ten years later.

The paragraphs of disclaimer were describing a 4wd system with no center differential.  In a light vehicle (like my Subaru was) it's a non issue in the street.  In a 6000lb truck, you break things and handling gets spooky.

Knurled.
4/21/18 5:38 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

berkeley this thing

What's wrong with pulling the intake?  You have to do that on pretty much all vans., and it allows you to bolt the lifting chain to the intake flange instead of over the heads, meaning you can actually get the engine out with a regular hoist.

I had to R&R the heads on a Duramax once, which involved engine R&R.  You have to remove the lower oil pan to get clearance for the front diff... but you can't remove the pickup tube, which is very easy to smash when removing the engine or setting it in.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/18 8:37 a.m.

This is the third straight week with mandatory OT equaling into the 60 hour range for all of us. we are all getting one day off and a bunch of 12 hour back to back days. This E36 M3 is getting old and we do not even have any big shows coming up, just a bunch of small conventions.

Wally
4/21/18 10:39 a.m.

So far the wife, my sister, and her kids have all called crying because they won’t see Joy the Fiat again. I almost want to buy her back and fix her but there’s a lot of damage in there.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
4/21/18 10:41 a.m.

This Miata has me beating my head against the wall. Last weekend I had it running and idling pretty well, needed a little feathering of the throttle but that was it. Decided to try and take it out and run it a little this weekend and now it cranks, doesn't even make an attempt to start. Can smell fuel from cranking it, so I believe it has injector pulse. But it doesn't have spark. Everything I read says that a failed Cam Angle Sensor causes you to lose spark and injection. So, what, both coils spontaneously died at the same time?

1 ... 780 781 782 783 784 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5cqKeaigwiYmvFGX4iNLFQE7VN7z3Ne3S7UVHACBJQ3CrpIJrOV3JrEf7ru7Y7xz