1 ... 781 782 783 784 785 ... 1926
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/21/18 11:02 a.m.

Finally have a warm, child free day and I can't stop coughing long enough to cut lumber for my project. Yay.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/21/18 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

Time to buy Joy 2. You could even get a plate that says "THE WORLD" for super inside joke points. Hope your wife is doing well post-surgery. yes

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/21/18 2:49 p.m.

Sick kids. Ugh. Croup then conjunctivitis and ear infection in both and now bronchiolitis in the little one. I’m done. She’s been crying at me for 40 minutes straight on this jag.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/18 3:15 p.m.

Media blasting gets media everywhere.

Also, HF 20lb blasters only work if you ignore the directions.  Wasted a lot of media figuring that out.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/18 7:03 p.m.
Wally said:

So far the wife, my sister, and her kids have all called crying because they won’t see Joy the Fiat again. I almost want to buy her back and fix her but there’s a lot of damage in there.

she did a good job protecting your wife. Looks a lot better than I expected.

Speaking of accidents, I almost got into a silly one. Sitting in the middle of a busy road trying to make a left on green. on coming traffic is just spaced far enough apart to avoid me making a dash for it. Guy at the light to my left is busy looking at his phone and not realizing he is creeping. He crept so far into traffic, he stopped it, which allowed me to go. Not sure he ever noticed

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
4/21/18 7:12 p.m.

First the school debacle, then I find that I ordered the wrong size tires for the back of the Senor Dos, then my laptop dies this morning.  
Ever have one of those days when you wish you had a shift just to keep your mind off of all the E36 M3 going wrong in your life?

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/21/18 8:49 p.m.

This starting of gout treatment is dragging out way too long. At this point it will be June before I can get my zephyr out for the summer.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/18 6:39 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

The poor car held up very well and could be fixable if the book value wasn’t so low.  Unfortunately the hit wiped out a lot of wiring and electrics which will be pricey to fix correctly. I think the wife would have fared better too if she didn’t insist on wearing a seat belt extension. I’m not happy with how it repositions the belt away from the buckle.  I don’t think the shoulder strap holds you in place as securely.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
4/22/18 7:12 a.m.

Well, got spark back, not sure how, was doing testing, everything checked out, plugged it all back in and it started lighting the inline spark tester. But now TunerStudio keeps going offline while the engine is running, and it keeps losing synch. I don't get it. The car ran great and then it sat in the garage for a week and nothing got changed, and now it has all sorts of issues and runs like absolute garbage. Pretty close to getting someone to trailer it to a shop and have them sort it out.  And if the car is always going to be this finicky with this new set up, then I won't be hanging onto it for long.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
4/22/18 9:25 a.m.

I'm trying my hardest to do just this.  Anyone hiring?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/18 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Tactical Penguin :

I know nothing of how transit in Maryland works but then seem to be hiring a number of positions. https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mdotmd

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
4/22/18 10:05 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

Thanks for that!  I'm always looking at federal stuff, and forget the state stuff.  Saw a gig on there that might be worth the commute to Bodymore!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/22/18 12:14 p.m.
NickD said:

Well, got spark back, not sure how, was doing testing, everything checked out, plugged it all back in and it started lighting the inline spark tester. But now TunerStudio keeps going offline while the engine is running, and it keeps losing synch. I don't get it. The car ran great and then it sat in the garage for a week and nothing got changed, and now it has all sorts of issues and runs like absolute garbage. Pretty close to getting someone to trailer it to a shop and have them sort it out.  And if the car is always going to be this finicky with this new set up, then I won't be hanging onto it for long.

Sounds like it’s time to go over every power and ground wire with a fine toothed comb.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
4/22/18 12:34 p.m.

berkeley that tiny POS oil filter for the 02 Camry. I cannot believe how small that thing is still. What the berkeley was Toyota thinking? 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
4/22/18 3:24 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

Feel ya.  The oil filter for the SE-R is half the size of the one for the SE but then bigger engine same bay. indecision

Knurled.
4/22/18 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

Modern engines don't need huge oil filters.  One side effect of the vastly reduced ring and bore wear from good fuel control, and negligible cam/follower wear from lightly sprung DOHC valvetrains, is that you aren't filling the oil with the kind of stuff you need to filter out in the first place.

Heck, Chrysler used to recommend oil filters only every other oil change.  I usually run them two or three changes.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/22/18 4:39 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

berkeley that tiny POS oil filter for the 02 Camry. I cannot believe how small that thing is still. What the berkeley was Toyota thinking? 

If you fill that little oil filter with junk, you need a new engine anyway.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
4/22/18 5:00 p.m.

Everything I touch I berkeley up

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/22/18 5:02 p.m.

New lady in the neighborhood seems to think she owns the sidewalk and has been yelling at kids riding there bikes on it, including my kids. If it happens again I guess I'm going to hobble down there on my crutches and have a chat with her and her husband 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/22/18 6:01 p.m.
NickD said:

That’s analogous to where I am with the Manic Miata. It actually runs fine as is; it just looks like a nightmare under the hood. I’m terrified that if I try to clean it up and replace the wiring harness like I should, that it will never run again. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/22/18 7:11 p.m.

Can't get the miata emissions ready. Replaced pcv, breathers hose, still not ready. I think I'll need to do egr next. WHat a pain for a vehicle I drive 3k miles a year. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
4/22/18 8:02 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

for the s-10 I did plugs and wires, oil and filter, pcv with a gallon of lacquer paint thinner in the tank and a less than hour run on the beltway.  It had been downgraded to a sniff test due to loosey goosey shifter the dmv 'techs' couldn't figure out. I'm gonna take the SE in this week but it has had a new exhaust with two new o2s and i'll probably throw  the pcv on there too but i'll look around for another gallon of lacquer thinner even though the check engine light is now off. smiley  heck all three of my drivers see a combined mileage of less that 3k.  Thank god I'm not married no wife would put up with my insurance bill for three E36 M3 boxes. smiley

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/22/18 8:15 p.m.

Second autocross of the season.  First time letting son-of-me drive the Monster So of course it has to start acting the fool. First it starts to die and doesn’t want to restart.  Jack with the timing a bit and miss a run.  Get it running and he takes a run, no problems.  Take the hood off for my run so I can continue tinkering between runs since something isn’t quite right with it.

My next run the engine shifts so hard to the right that the alternator fan cut the top radiator hose spewing boiling water straight up (dramatic!). Get the car back to the pits and run out in the wagon to get a replacement hose.  Close place has hose and I grab 4 gallons of water to fill it up.  Install hose, fill, all good.  Son takes a run, good.  I take 1/2 a run and boom!  Cut the hose again.  It appears the motor mounts have a tiny bit of flex (they feel solid).  Done for the day.

Tiger Mom leaves to get me another hose and leaves her phone on the roof of her car (it’s now gone, more joy).  And takes an hour to find the right sized hose.  

And with all that.....I was slow.  Springs are too soft.  Sway bar is too small.  Sigh.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/22/18 11:31 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Sine_Qua_Non said:

If you fill that little oil filter with junk, you need a new engine anyway.

Sometimes, its simply the small size interfering with one's ability to grip the bastard to spin it on. Girth is king. Ask the girlfriend.

Knurled.
4/23/18 4:12 a.m.

Slept 8 hours last night at normal hours.  Okay, awesome.

Started falling asleep while driving home at ~1pm.  ???

Stayed awake long enough to fall asleep around 8-9pm.  Woke up at 1am.  Couldn't get back to sleep.  Need to start getting ready for work in an hour.

1 ... 781 782 783 784 785 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U7EvhorWW4yqDE0t6zN3UZV2ahw2nf1vzgPK02oNXmunxrD5gGCjoFxIBrc9W8BV