1 ... 823 824 825 826 827 ... 1929
Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/19/18 3:49 p.m.

I just cannot find a usable autocross venue at a rent that my program can sustain.  We did really well - really well - my first couple years as chair, and that allowed me to ugrade our T+S systems to something modern.  But we lost 1 of our 2 locations last year; the remaining venue is not ideally located and it is way more expensive to rent.  Turnout is down, costs are up, there's no new location on the horizon, and I'm worried about the viability of the program.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/19/18 4:43 p.m.

I should stop trying to be a good person, especially online. Definitely should not post on BAT. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/19/18 4:54 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Never stop trying to be a good person, just don't expect that others will follow your example, that just leads to heartache. wink Some people just want to watch the world burn.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/18 12:18 a.m.

Fiancée got some concerning news from some tests today. Pretty sure we can say non life threatening, but it at least means most likely a new medication which insurance may or may not cover. And no kids while on the medication. Wedding is in a month, I’m fine with waiting a while for kids, but that and everything else combined has her pretty shaken. Prayers appreciated. She’s a tough cookie, I’m sure everything will be ok in the end. We’ll see what the journey brings. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/20/18 11:09 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I remind myself in those situations, that integrity cannot be bought, it must be earned. I would feel terrible tossing all that in the trash because some turd (internet or otherwise) pissed me off.

My biggest disappointment is when people mistake my kindness for weakness.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
7/20/18 11:57 a.m.

First off- AWSX, Prayers sent.

Now- the rant. I just smashed the middle finger on my right hand. It hurts all the way to the elbow! Instantly black under the nail.

Edit: And why are all of the $2K Corvettes in Atlanta!?!

AWSX1686
7/20/18 12:22 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

Thank you.

Hope your finger heals up. Personally I try to refrain from use of it, but commuting really makes that a struggle. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
7/20/18 12:38 p.m.

Big day at the dentist.  Had one tooth pulled and an implant placed.   

Drugs.  Taking drugs now.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
7/20/18 2:26 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

I hear that. I did edit my earlier rant. Don't want people to get the wrong impression of me. yes

Edit : 6 hours later and it only hurts to the wrist now. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/22/18 4:55 a.m.

I really want to rant about something here because I'd really like some of the members opinions, but I know if I started a thread to do so, a handful of people would wind up arguing in circles with each other until it got shut down. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/22/18 10:26 a.m.

Eh, do it anyway. Between the bullE36 M3, there is usually some good advice.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/18 10:39 a.m.

Getting to research Iowa gun laws because my wife had to deal with an someone who was an shiny happy person about open carry at her veterinary clinic last week.

At least it didn't take long to figure out what we can or can't do-- as we're outside of city limits, she can ask them to put it away or leave, and if they don't comply, she could file trespassing charges.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/22/18 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

It's got flounder written all over it or I would. I also suspect it would cost me what little respect I may have around here. In the interest of keeping my membership on this forum, I will summarize it as such:

Everybody needs to dig deep and pull the stick out of the ass of the bug they have up their ass. Smoke a joint, have a glass of whiskey, whatever it takes. The whole world needs to  just chill the berkeley out for an hour or so. 

Yea, I think that's good. Covers all the multitude of topics that are pissing me off from p****ics to videogames to movies to people in general without actually getting into details that could be problematic.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/22/18 11:48 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Appleseed :

It's got flounder written all over it or I would. I also suspect it would cost me what little respect I may have around here. In the interest of keeping my membership on this forum, I will summarize it as such:

Everybody needs to dig deep and pull the stick out of the ass of the bug they have up their ass. Smoke a joint, have a glass of whiskey, whatever it takes. The whole world needs to  just chill the berkeley out for an hour or so. 

Yea, I think that's good. Covers all the multitude of topics that are pissing me off from p****ics to videogames to movies to people in general without actually getting into details that could be problematic.

All a guy can do is consider the logic of the opposing opinion, and realise that opinion might have some merit

If you can't do that, you are part of the problem.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/18 12:21 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

It depends on the argument the person is making. I’m somewhat right of center and read a lot of things on both ends of the spectrum that even if I don’t agree with can see why the person could feel that way. I start to have problems when the person moves from reasonable opinion to blind worship which both sides are moving to more and more.  

I rarely used to put anything political on Facebook book but now I share things knowing that certain relatives will send me angry private messages and texts calling me a libtard and right wing Nazi, often in the same post. It’s probably making me a worse person because I’ve always been an shiny happy person and part of me enjoys pushing them closer to a mental breakdown. I have started to feel that if all your information on any topic, govt, health, environment, etc comes from a small graphic on your phone perhaps melting down to the point of needing professional help will make the world a better place in the long run. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/22/18 12:40 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I for one, really appreciate the thoughtful consideration that you have given this, and thank you for your decision. I hope the situations involving bugs, sticks and bums improves, but I am confident that bugs, at least of the variety that reside in bungholes, prefer a good stick for company.

Cheers! <clink>

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/22/18 6:23 p.m.

DD#1 just had to have her hedgehog euthanized. She had some form of neurological disorder, probably from meningitis, but several different exotic animal vets couldn’t pin it down.  It wasn’t wobbly hedgehog syndrome. She was on steroids and antibiotics and just wasn’t responding. It was the right decision, but it still sucks. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/18 6:27 p.m.

I’m sad for the loss of a loved pet, but chuckled at “wobbly hedgehog syndrome”. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/22/18 6:42 p.m.

Yeah, it’s a funny name for a terrible affliction. It’s basically the hedgehog version of ALS or Parkinson’s. It’s in incurable degenerative nervous system disorder. 

The pygmy ‘hogs most people have as pets have remarkably fragile health. Most likely from inbreeding, unfortunately. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
7/22/18 9:15 p.m.

My weekend project was installing the new ac unit into the shop; hooray! Unfortunately every part of it kicked my butt and after a sweaty miserable weekend I only have the inside part installed and power run to the outside power disconnect box; boo!

And despite a perfect 2 for 2 with head shots on the 13 stripe ground squirrels destroying my yard my wife saw the second shot and is now feeling sorry for the little monsters.  So hooray and boo!

AWSX1686
7/23/18 9:00 a.m.

My rant, hardly a rant. I've had cash ready to go for a nice NA or NB to be a new daily since I sold the ZHP a few weeks ago. This weekend one finally pops up locally and I jumped on it. Logon here this morning and there's about 4 new miatas for sale here. Fortunately I think the one I ended up with is still the best option for me, but it was at least somewhat ironic. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/23/18 9:06 a.m.
Duke said:

I just cannot find a usable autocross venue at a rent that my program can sustain.  We did really well - really well - my first couple years as chair, and that allowed me to ugrade our T+S systems to something modern.  But we lost 1 of our 2 locations last year; the remaining venue is not ideally located and it is way more expensive to rent.  Turnout is down, costs are up, there's no new location on the horizon, and I'm worried about the viability of the program.

I struggled with that for many years.  And the worry and sleepless night was one of the bricks in the preverbal wall of why I stopped racing.

Good luck!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/23/18 9:08 a.m.

My back hurts. A ton. And I still have 800 square feet of floor to install, which my wife will tell me I am not doing fast enough, even as she insists that she's not telling me that I'm not doing it fast enough.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/23/18 9:28 a.m.

I buy 17 gal. totes to replace flimsy 12 gal. totes to put in things that need to stay absolutely dry in storage. I fill them to the brim with books and magazines. Completely Tetris'd. Not a single wasted space within. I render said totes virtually immovable. My back hurts.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
7/23/18 10:14 a.m.

Well, I had a good night. Four nights in a row of sleep deprivation from a sick baby and then on the fifth night my neighbor starts lighting off fireworks and my attempt to politely ask him to stop ends with him charged with menacing. Can I please just get one good night's sleep??

1 ... 823 824 825 826 827 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A3Xgrt3luE5ZXmgRE2iHuv1WSLjdvMOjVLlPzDO6V3jT3CUkmIxl5aMAHxcMiB1Z