1 ... 836 837 838 839 840 ... 1927
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/18 8:48 a.m.
wae said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Just be sure that the generator can crank out enough wattage for the pumps.  My understanding is that if your generator is marginal, it can burn up pumps and motors fairly quickly because of something about electrons and volts-times-amps-equals-watts and stuff.  

that and most generators are "dirty" power. you get spikes and dips as the engine revs up and down to try to keep up with the demands on the power.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/17/18 9:25 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Is that where those "inverter" generators come in?  To clean that up?

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/18 11:53 a.m.

In reply to wae :

That is a concern, and why despite the fact it will cost more (4-conductor wire is not exactly cheap) I kind of want to go the route of hooking it up to the house. The generator is supposed to be able to put out 5500 watts continuous and 6500 peak, but I've not been able to find a solid answer on what the hot tub requires.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/17/18 12:07 p.m.

I ordered the wrong window regulator.  Apparently there were 2 different versions in 99.....

KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard Intern
8/17/18 12:34 p.m.

I got some keys for my new apartment cut and they almost fit. If you spend ten minutes jiggling it in the lock, it works. But seriously, four keys and they're all just slightly wrong? UGh.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/17/18 12:53 p.m.

In reply to KatieSuddard :

Take original and copies back to guy who cut the keys and tell him they don't work.  Might just be a buff, or he might need to re-make them.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/17/18 12:55 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to wae :

That is a concern, and why despite the fact it will cost more (4-conductor wire is not exactly cheap) I kind of want to go the route of hooking it up to the house. The generator is supposed to be able to put out 5500 watts continuous and 6500 peak, but I've not been able to find a solid answer on what the hot tub requires.

Looks like a “generic” hot tub seems to be rated for around a 50 amps max.  So, that’d be 12000W?  That seems high, though?  Wattage is just amps x voltage, right?

wae
wae SuperDork
8/17/18 1:11 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I know dick-all about hot tubs, but would that 12,000W include a heater?

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/18 2:06 p.m.
wae said:

I know dick-all about hot tubs, but would that 12,000W include a heater?

Most likely. I've been bored at work today so did some Googling, and it seems likely that everything on the hot tub is actually 120V except for the heater itself which is 220V. So, in theory as long as I'm not running the heater the generator should put out enough to run everything as long as I have the heater off.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/18 2:28 p.m.

I think I've lost track of what used vehicles should cost. Is there really enough quality life left in this 177k Honda Ridgeline for it to be worth $9k? It's categorized as a "great deal" by cars.com. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/17/18 2:29 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Yeah, I think that's the bigger draw than the pump.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/17/18 4:50 p.m.

I don't know if this is a rant, confession, or win:

I went into complete panic mode today because I remembered that I forgot to review my W4 adjustments in June.  When I ran some quick math, it looked like I was under-withholding by a huge margin -- like I'd owe the IRS $8k next year.  So I spiraled into a very depressing afternoon contemplating selling a whole bunch of stuff, cutting out monthly expenses like crazy, and janked up my withholding by a ton.

Then I started reading a book a friend recommended to me and somehow, like a flash of lightning, I remembered that bonuses that are paid with regular pay have the withholding values applied that reflect that one particular paycheck, which means when my bonus is paid out in September, they will withhold a very significant percentage of my tax liability in that one shot -- it's not a linear formula!

My minor confession is that I'm apparently stupid and forgetful.

My minor win is that I don't have to sell my children for scientific research in order to pay the taxman.

My rant is that even if I had done nothing at all, my owe would have been very manageable next year and within the range that I like to keep it, but I just had to freak out and start messing with things and in the end I'm pretty much right back where I started but it took about 4 months off my life.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/17/18 7:55 p.m.

Arthroscopic surgery on left knee two weeks ago Wednesday.  

Felt like I’d turned the corner Tuesday.

Started biting at me with some sharp pains around breakfast, and at this point I’m trying to get around on crutches because it hurts too much to put and weight on it.

Back to see a doctor tomorrow.  I got things I need to be doing.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/17/18 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Are you doing PT?

It really helps

I was off work nine weeks and that was too early, coulda used another week or two. But I had torn meniscus, floating cartilage as well as the polish job.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/17/18 8:24 p.m.

Removal of some floating bodies, polish/repair of complex tear of the meniscus.   

Surgeon only set me up with the crutches to get from the car to the house post-op.  This is the first time I’ve actually really spent any time using the crutches in anger. 

Since I was up and around immediately, he didn’t recommend any PT. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/18 11:37 p.m.

12,000w is approximately 50amps at 240v. I would think the tub would rarely if ever draw that.It probably pulls about 5000w which is about 30amps at max load. You always want to leave a good overhead when specifying  fuses and wire gages to allow for spikes and start up pulls.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/18/18 12:14 a.m.

On “vacation”. With my pregnant wife, two elderly dogs, no boat, and because I didn’t plan ahead, I have no beer (or other alcohol). Had a day at work that I probably should have had my first at about 10am. Oh, pregnant wife was sick this AM so instead of her meeting me where I was working this week (halfway to our destination), I got to drive 2 hours south to get her and the dogs and then drive 4.5 hours back, literally passing within 4 miles of my office halfway there. Oh, since we have the dogs, were in a motel room. Yay. 

Tomorrow my in laws get here. I’m going to go insane. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/18/18 12:18 a.m.
mtn said:

On “vacation”. With my pregnant wife, two elderly dogs, no boat, and because I didn’t plan ahead, I have no beer (or other alcohol). Had a day at work that I probably should have had my first at about 10am. Oh, pregnant wife was sick this AM so instead of her meeting me where I was working this week (halfway to our destination), I got to drive 2 hours south to get her and the dogs and then drive 4.5 hours back, literally passing within 4 miles of my office halfway there. Oh, since we have the dogs, were in a motel room. Yay. 

Im thinking you are gonna need something stronger than beer

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/18/18 12:23 a.m.
Antihero said:
mtn said:

Im thinking you are gonna need something stronger than beer

Really, really wish we were colorado/Washington/etc right now. Haven’t really partaken much since college, but I’d partake tonight if I could. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/18/18 9:13 a.m.

You know how, when youve been sick as hell and cooped up, you just want to do SOMETHING? So you pick something non strenuous and simple. Right?

Dont pick window tint. 

Wasted a whole roll on one window.....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/18/18 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Mike :

Used Honda’s are crazy priced.  One reason I bought a new base model LX Accord manual tranny rather than a 2 year old used Accord with more options.  

Base model NEW 5-speed Versas are really cheap. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
8/18/18 2:22 p.m.

Getting down to the wire putting the MX-5 together and am getting really frustrated with the tiny amount of space on the back side of the motor.  My hands are biggish but this is ridiculous!   I need a talented 9 year old mechanic to reach some of these connections.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/18/18 3:12 p.m.

18 hours in. This is not relaxing, nor is it fun. I’m ready to load the dogs in the car and go home. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/18/18 3:33 p.m.
fasted58 said:

In reply to Karacticus :

Are you doing PT?

It really helps

I was off work nine weeks and that was too early, coulda used another week or two. But I had torn meniscus, floating cartilage as well as the polish job.

It's absolutely nessesary. You will have a permanent pimp limp if you don't. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/18/18 10:24 p.m.

It's political re-election commercial season.

1 ... 836 837 838 839 840 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CZy9QKrs4NID1f3zdG9q2awOrHImQs95TOMBSBdJvdXwAHemT96ee5muxzNpnzDV