1 ... 840 841 842 843 844 ... 1927
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/27/18 12:36 p.m.

I was forced into looking at one of the new Mitsubishi eclipse crossover things up close and in person, I'm afraid I'll never get that image out of my head. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/27/18 12:53 p.m.

I had a lady hit ne square in the broken rib with a full shopping cart. I thought i was going to pass out. Then when i didn't, i thought i might kill her. But didn't. 

The best part? After she hit me she said "get out my way, honkey"

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/18 4:48 p.m.

The final piece of the puzzle I need to drop an FC engine in my RX-7 came in on Friday.  Was busy all weekend and now there's a heat wave.  92 degrees and so humid that it's laborious to breathe, and more of the same for a while.  Feel too nauseous after work to want to go into a hot garage and work another few hours.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/18 11:20 p.m.
WilD said:

I attempted a steeper/longer climb than usual on my MTB yesterday.  Something happened in my back.  Standing and walking are very challenging today.

I pulled something in my lower back bending over to put my shoes on this morning sad

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/28/18 8:19 a.m.

Why is it that my long weekends tend to end up kind of sucking? This should have been a great weekend, but it was pretty miserable (and ironically ended up extended by a day after I had to call in sick yesterday). Was afraid that it was going to drag into today as well since I initially could NOT get to sleep last night (something about having slept until 2pm...) but was finally able to get to sleep.

Hopefully this week will start to go better.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/18 9:31 a.m.

3rd dead computer via mainboard failure in 3 months now (first the home server, then a spare computer that could've replaced the home server, now a dedicated HTPC), just awesome...bank still hasn't put back the money that was re-stolen from a scraped card they forgot to deactivate back in early July so I have to make an epic trek in a car with 650lb/in springs, no AC, an eyeballed alignment, and what sounds like a dying camber plate spherical bearing at lunch today because they can't even tell me what the hell is going on outside of the branch where I filed the paperwork. My phone numbers are on my copy of the dispute form so I know they have them. Why not give me a call on one of those to update me, at least when the 45 days this was supposed to take passed a couple weeks ago? Do they want me to change banks? They're lucky that so many of the other banks around here are even more full of incompetent asshats.

Edit: Oh I forgot the actual first dead one of four, the laptop being used as a server at my grandmother's house in Ontario. Died right after I left, within a month of having a new hard drive put in it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/18 2:08 p.m.

Can you berkeleying retarded ass berkeley heads please do your berkeleying jobs! Seriously! We are professionals, act like it you berkeleyheads, so I can do my job without making 5 trips to tell you berkeleyers what you bunch of berkeleying idiots did wrong this time. 

You are wasting my time and my money and I'm about to lose my berkeleying temper with you. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/28/18 7:01 p.m.

So, the E92 rear brakes overheating w/ stinking the cabin up stench wasn't due to loose wheels after all as it might have appeared... but they were loose as fawk after 5 miles from their shop that the rear view mirror about rattled off the windshield. 

The RR parking shoe was tight as a bulls ass at fly time. It evidently heated the rotor and glazed the 50 mile new EBC Red pads. Sanded out now, hope it didn't ruin the bed in.

All I asked for was one click tighter on the parking brake lever from where I had it and I got berkeleyed.

Need a new brake wear sensor now too tho, gotta order that as nobody in town has one.

Da Fawk.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
8/29/18 9:59 a.m.

This august has been nuts, every weekend (and some long weekends) I have been doing family activities and not done racecar stuff or seen my friends or called anyone for that matter. I Just finished the final holiday trip for 5 days with my girlfriend in Mexico because of a wedding for her good friend and also visit with her family, the next day I come back I work late then get beers with 2 of my friends afterwards. She accuses me of cheating on her and that I disappeared even though I mentioned at lunch (with her) that I was going to have drinks with guys after work. 

Now she is acting like a child and not speaking with me, and I live with her - we have been dating for almost 2.5 years I should note that she is 38 and has a PHD...

why are Mexican women so hot and crazy? she really believes I am cheating on her - which made me laugh and that did not go over well... 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/18 10:15 a.m.

I learned to day that a 60+ year old will give you two middle fingers, while driving, because he could not be bothered to look at the road sign that showed his lane was merging into mine.  I slowed to let the person in front of him get in the lane, as you are supposed to do but did not slam on my brakes to let him in also after he sped to try and squeeze in.  After flipping me the bird with both hands be backed way off, WTF.

Toyman01
8/29/18 1:35 p.m.

Mr. Toyman, 

Would you be willing to stop by our factory and give us some door and hardware recommendations on life safety and ADA compliance for our long abandoned office building?

Meet up at 9am. 

Spend 4 hours walking around a office building that no one has a current set of plans for.

That has been renovated several times by the previous owner with no thought given to fire, life safety, ADA or any other compliance issue. I saw one 480v line run down a hall to a disconnect in PVC. surprise

My first question was about intended use. They don't know. It is currently being used as a warehouse, and occasional conference area, job fair, emergency preparedness location.  Pretty much a catch all limbo for the facility. 50,000+ sq-ft of limbo. It's a disaster. Holes in fire walls. Fire walls missing. Fire doors missing or replaced with unrated doors. 

I told them multiple times they needed to get a architectural/engineering firm to do an assessment on the building. There is no determination for egress paths. Occupancy ratings are unknown. Intended use is unknown. Just about every fire wall marked on their 1987 drawings has been compromised. 

I suggested chaining the doors shut and putting Danger, Do Not Enter signs up everywhere. As it stands now, it's a lawsuit looking for a place to happen.

Instead, they are going to generate a scope of work and send it to me to quote. It's going to take me as long to type up the disclaimer as it will for me to quote it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/29/18 2:19 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I've been in buildings like that.  I guarantee they will bitch endlessly and be personally offended about the cost of making the building even minimally safe.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/29/18 2:27 p.m.

That sounds like "I'm not touching this berkeleying thing" levels of bullE36 M3. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/18 2:51 p.m.
Appleseed said:

That sounds like "I'm not touching this berkeleying thing" levels of bullE36 M3. 

Or you give them the "go the berkeley away price" and see if they'll take the hint.  If not, make it high enough to retire on :)

Toyman01
8/29/18 3:06 p.m.

What gets me is this isn't a small outfit. Big company, starts with B ends with G and builds high tech E36 M3 with wings. I don't usually expect them to half ass stuff. 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
8/29/18 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

A wise man once told me you don't get rich by making tons of money, you get rich by spending as little as possible. Big businesses seem to know this well.

Toyman01
8/29/18 4:37 p.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

A wise man once told me you don't get rich by making tons of money, you get rich by spending as little as possible. Big businesses seem to know this well.

That is true, to a point. $10 million in lawsuits will wipe out any savings in a hurry. If they don't want to spend money on the building, that fine. Board it up and leave it unoccupied. If not, bring it up to life safety standards and be done with it. There really isn't any middle ground. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/29/18 4:43 p.m.

12 hour day full of shiny happy people, E36 M3heads, berkeleytards, entitlement mentality, heat, and traffic.

Its berkeley this E36 M3 o'clock.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
8/29/18 6:23 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

This august has been nuts, every weekend (and some long weekends) I have been doing family activities and not done racecar stuff or seen my friends or called anyone for that matter. I Just finished the final holiday trip for 5 days with my girlfriend in Mexico because of a wedding for her good friend and also visit with her family, the next day I come back I work late then get beers with 2 of my friends afterwards. She accuses me of cheating on her and that I disappeared even though I mentioned at lunch (with her) that I was going to have drinks with guys after work. 

Now she is acting like a child and not speaking with me, and I live with her - we have been dating for almost 2.5 years I should note that she is 38 and has a PHD...

why are Mexican women so hot and crazy? she really believes I am cheating on her - which made me laugh and that did not go over well... 

Sounds like marriage material.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
8/29/18 6:25 p.m.

I'm done loaning cars out. Last summer my in-laws borrowed the toyota for a funeral trip. Came back with a badly chipped windshield, not their fault, just frustrating. Last month my mom borrowed my fit (first ever new car) for a trip to my sister's place. Came back last night with a bunch of deliberately applied scratches on the hatch and passenger door. Again, not her fault. Just frustrating. Maybe they'll buff out.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/18 6:31 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

What gets me is this isn't a small outfit. Big company, starts with B ends with G and builds high tech E36 M3 with wings. I don't usually expect them to half ass stuff. 

If someone else is paying the bill, they'll gladly fork out the dough.  Otherwise they will cut corners as good or better than anyone else in the world.  They are well known here in the PNW as there are a lot of crossover between their employees and the automotive/racing worlds :)

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/18 7:08 p.m.
Stefan said:
Appleseed said:

Or you give them the "go the berkeley away price" and see if they'll take the hint.  If not, make it high enough to retire on :)

We raised our hourly rate to these levels for rod & custom stuff because rod & custom stuff simply does not pay.

Today I pulled the trans out of a 40s Ford that had an entire Lokar catalog swapped in.  I think we need to raise the rate some more.

Today's rant:  I am going to become ultrarich, and buy Lokar, and completely dissolve the company.  Do everything I can to screw over anyone and everyone who ever designed a product for them.  Then sit on the trademarks/patents and sue anybody who tries to fill the vacuum of horribly designed billet one-size-fits-none components.

This, I feel, will be a humanitarian gesture.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/29/18 7:13 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Stefan said:
Appleseed said:

We raised our hourly rate to these levels for rod & custom stuff because rod & custom stuff simply does not pay.

Today I pulled the trans out of a 40s Ford that had an entire Lokar catalog swapped in.  I think we need to raise the rate some more.

Today's rant:  I am going to become ultrarich, and buy Lokar, and completely dissolve the company.  Do everything I can to screw over anyone and everyone who ever designed a product for them.  Then sit on the trademarks/patents and sue anybody who tries to fill the vacuum of horribly designed billet one-size-fits-none components.

This, I feel, will be a humanitarian gesture.

Ill chip in 20. The only use i have for lokar, other than decent cables, is the billet shift arm that didn't fit the c4 trans it was ordered for. 

Makes a great place to hang a towel next to the shop sink. But i think its a little too badly made to do that job much longer. I have a 60s fiat cam i found buried in the dirt next to an old barn to replace it with thats much better made.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/29/18 8:39 p.m.

I know this rant is a little tired.  But Target has Halloween stuff out already.  It even says October 31st.  We're still in August.  Clearly someone else felt the same way hopefully as they set aside the six pack of OctoberFest Sam Adams before they got to the self-checkout.  Maybe we need to make a bigger deal out of labor day like give it a specialty beer or something.  angry angel

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/29/18 8:56 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

My son moved to Boston this summer.  He just spent 5 years in Irvine, CA.   I’m visiting him this weekend   

I stopped at two home stores this week to buy him a snow shovel as a joke as he will need to dig out his street parked car this year.  Quite opposite from last year.

Nobody has snow shovels out yet - what’s up with that?

1 ... 840 841 842 843 844 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0F8IFb69E50EaFIQqPFbrZ0KAbE6fTSnudTU3y3arqIHsKwBg08moRaQoDBQzKtg